ADVERTISEMENT

5 UT players primed for Breakout this year

Beyond Johnathan Gray, there's really no certainty on the Texas offense. There's competition at seemingly every position, especially in the passing game.

Regardless, Armanti Foreman should be a major piece of the puzzle.

Despite being undersized at 5'11", Foreman might be the most complete receiver on the Texas roster. He tracks the ball well, has reliable hands and possesses the speed-quickness combo to turn any catch into a home run. Wherever he lines up, he's a threat.

Because of his pure skill, Foreman's a lock for either the slot job or Jaxon Shipley's old role. Either way, he's proven that he's a weapon whom Texas needs to feed. He's good for 50 catches this season.

When Texas recruited Naashon Hughes, he was an oversized safety with no obvious college position. Now, with some added pass-rushing chops, he's developing into one of Strong's most dangerous weapons.

Hughes surprised everyone when he busted into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman. The supposed project slid nicely into Strong's Fox end position, solidifying the defense's every-down 3-3-5 look thanks to his size and range.

Production didn't follow, and Hughes was often on the business end of his head coach's wrath, but the staff stuck with him. That seems to have paid off this offseason, as Hughes made a living in the backfield in the spring game, showing that he's starting to figure out how to get around college linemen.

If Hughes can continue to build on that, he's going to be downright scary. Already blessed with 4.4 speed (per 247Sports' Kevin Flaherty) and legit coverage skills, developing some reliable pass-rush moves would make him one of the most complete ends in the conference.

Reactions: J. Reksat
Between Hughes and developing stud Bryce Cottrell, the Longhorns have something pretty exciting working at defensive end.

Strong called Cottrell the "surprise of the spring," and that's probably an understatement. For his career, the fourth-year junior has just 12 tackles and one sack, with the latter coming in 2013. So when Cottrell abused his teammates throughout April's spring game, everyone had good reason to ask where he's been the last three years.

But Cottrell's always been a good athlete, and SB Nation's Wescott Eberts had high praise for his pass-rushing abilities back when he committed to the Longhorns:

The 27th commitment in the 2012 class and the third over the last three days, Cottrell is a bouncy prospect and the best pure edge rusher in the class for the Longhorns, with an excellent firs [sic] step that falls just short of being elite. When unblocked on the backside of zone running plays in high school, Cottrell shows the pure speed to be able to track down plays and wreak havoc in the backfield.

In other words, Texas could have a genuine late-bloomer on its hands at the strongside position—and it wouldn't be the first time. Cedric Reed had 2.5 sacks in two years before throwing up 15.5 across his junior and senior seasons.

Granted, Reed was a regular contributor prior to his breakout, but he got an opportunity, and he left no doubt. Cottrell is doing the same thing this offseason, and his pass-rushing will be a big help to this team.

Speaking of guys taking advantage of an opportunity, John Bonney hasn't just taken command of the nickel corner spot—he's looked like one of Texas' best players in doing so.

With both Quandre Diggs and Mykkele Thompson onto the NFL, the Longhorns are pretty desperate for someone to emerge at one of the defense's most crucial positions. They need someone who can cover, come down against the run and just look comfortable playing in space.

Our sample size is small, but Bonney checks off all of those boxes. He lit up all of spring practice, then backed it up with stellar play in the spring game, highlighted by a couple of big hits.

This is all pretty surprising from a guy who's not even 190 pounds, but Bonney plays with the same type of fire that made Diggs so good at this spot. He'll have to play a very cerebral game, but he joins some pretty elite company (per 247Sports' Jeff Howe) in seizing this job.

Unlike the other members of this list, Poona Ford doesn't project to be a starter in 2015. That won't keep him from playing like a star when he gets on the field.

Ford's an absolute technician at tackle, using quick hands and feet to compensate for his lack of pure size—the 5'11" man weighing in at 280 pounds. He's figuring out how to get it done, and it caught Strong's attention this spring:

[The thing with Poona Ford] is just his quickness. He's not very big but guys never get into his body. You always talk about just pressing off blocks, running off blocks, and the thing he can do, he can fit up and not get knocked off but he can separate off and go make plays, and a really good pass rusher.

But Ford's also got some power, which he showed off in this playagainst Arkansas.

If that doesn't sell you on Ford's blossoming abilities, then maybe the fact that his defensive coordinator Vance Bedford compared him to Malcom Brown before the spring game. That sort of praise doesn't just get tossed around by this staff, which has begun to believe in their unconventional young tackle.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
JSTO, good write-ups on your young players. They sound impressive.
This year and going into next, we will see a Charlie Strong team start to come together. The next two years moving forward will be a completely different Texas team than we have ever seen before!

My breakout player would be D'onta Foreman. He looked good with limited touches last year. I've also heard he's a manchild in workouts. 235 running a 4.44 40, my god.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornDrummer
I read yesterday that Strong would be fine with Gray carrying the ball 30+ times a game. He said "we have backups that can play" but something to the tune of Gray being a SR leader and finally healthy and ready to bust out.

Foreman and Catalon are there though.

My breakout player would be D'onta Foreman. He looked good with limited touches last year. I've also heard he's a manchild in workouts. 235 running a 4.44 40, my god.

Not bad actually. I just can't get over the fact of Malik being 2 or 3 inches taller and 240 running the same speed as a linebacker and a freshman! Sorry I just can't wait till he hits the field!

Fizz....you old Goat....next thing I know you will be asking Sholtz to go out for coffee while yall sing Cumby ya...

yet another sign the appoccalypse is upon us!

Oldhorn2, lol, it is my new leaf. I don't mind visiting about football if that is what the subject. If it's just a pissing contest, yes I can play but frankly would rather not. You old goat, Texas still sux.

Oldhorn2, lol, it is my new leaf. I don't mind visiting about football if that is what the subject. If it's just a pissing contest, yes I can play but frankly would rather not. You old goat, Texas still sux.
Well played

Besides Malik how many of our true freshman do you think can make a real contribution this year?

D'onta is a great athlete, and has good wheels for a guy his size, but I don't believe he runs a 4.44 forty. With his frame that would be a pretty freakish size/speed combo. I agree he could have a breakout year though.

Personally the player I'd like to see succeed is Dylan Haines. He has talent. Last year was the first time he got to play and I thought he showed promise. He was beaten by just a half step last year but that's something that can be corrected, mostly he has to learn how to turn his head. He got beaten for a td pass against Baylor where he had great coverage and his hands were perfectly placed but the ball was thrown perfectly. But he didn't turn his head. That won't happen anymore once he learns this.

Mostly Dylan Haines brings a positive presence in the locker room. He's a walk on, not a 4* recruit. Here's a kid who would have done anything to play for the University of Texas. I'm sure his teammates respect him for this. This is a young man who did not bring an entitled, lazy, or spoiled attitude.This is even more noticeable with a new coach who seeks to bring a new attitude in Austin. I'm for Dylan Haines.

Hookem Dylan.

Dylan's worst problem is tackling. If he hasn't learned to tackle, I'd much rather see one of the freshmen in his place.

My breakout player on offense is going to be McNeal and on defense, I gotta go with the new face of the program...MJ

Last edited:
And if Devo makes it in, you can add him to the list.
Don't sweat Devo, McNeal is a fresking man out there. He owned Charles O and split a rep with him, great blocker with terrific hands and he will be an H back.

I still hope Devo makes it in with that 6'5" hieght and skill set.

Chuck seems pretty confident, but the NCAA is unpredictable.

Desmond Jackson is getting rave reviews about his agility and speed coming off surgery on the line, that defense of line is going to be a strength as everyone suspected.

Reggie McNeal. Didn't he wash out of the canadian league or arena league or something already?

but...but... didnt RM>>>>>VY? lol well at least that is what aggy tried to tell us back then..... even after 77-0 happened....

Beyond Johnathan Gray, there's really no certainty on the Texas offense. There's competition at seemingly every position, especially in the passing game.

Regardless, Armanti Foreman should be a major piece of the puzzle.

Despite being undersized at 5'11", Foreman might be the most complete receiver on the Texas roster. He tracks the ball well, has reliable hands and possesses the speed-quickness combo to turn any catch into a home run. Wherever he lines up, he's a threat.

Because of his pure skill, Foreman's a lock for either the slot job or Jaxon Shipley's old role. Either way, he's proven that he's a weapon whom Texas needs to feed. He's good for 50 catches this season.

Shipleys old role? As designated fair-catcher? Gotta have one of those for sure

ADVERTISEMENT