ADVERTISEMENT

8-4

Horn01,

I thought Rudolph did pretty well for a true freshman asked to come in when he did. Do you have a differing opinion of him?

For some reason, at least on local radio, the prediction de jure is Texas' ceiling for 2015 is 8-4. I think part of that is local sports writers/analysts not wanting to come off as cheerleaders, and part of it is that it's a safe "managing expectations" kind of prediction. Undersell and over perform, as they say. But really, all this is is predicting that Texas will lose to all ranked opponents.

My reasoning for thinking this is not in fact the ceiling: QBs. That's the whole reason Texas is expected to struggle, right? So let's take a look at notable QBs we'll be facing. Trevon Boykin and...and...well? I guess we can assume Baylor's plug and play QB will be good. OU will have a kid who hasn't played in almost two years and looked bad in the spring game. ND will have a QB who has won a single significant game; ask Sooners how much confidence you should have in a kid for winning a bowl game. Where do we go from here? WVU is starting a new guy. Cal will starting a new guy. KSU plans to start a kid who has never started a game as a QB, at any level. OSU will start a kid coming off of injury. Techs QB took a beating from the Texas D last year. Are any of the rest even worth mentioning. There isn't a whole lot to be afraid of on this schedule. My expectations are higher. And if Texas doesn't at least have a winning record I bet they have a new OC in 2016

With all due respect horn01, you should go back and look at Cal's roster again. Their qb will be/is a Heisman candidate. They also have a legit all american candidate at wr. The returning qb for Cal threw for 4000 yards and 35 tds.

Outthere,

I don't think it's that Stiker isn't any good. I think that he's just limited at what he does exceptionally well. He's a liability in pass coverage, and just barely serviceable in run support. That just leaves pass rush, and if that's all he can do it's hard to fool the OCs. Part of that is we're stuck with Mike Stoops, which is why we're going to be subpar on defense. And it's funny because I agreed with just about everything you wrote, except about Zach. Great cover and ball-hawking skills, but junior high talent as a tackler. So if the guy catches the ball on Sanchez, it'll be another
10 yards before he's brought down.

Good synopsis and questions.

But that Sanchez gets so many picks, and it always comes at a critical time in the game. That damn pick six against us ....... damn, damn, damn. Tackling seems to be a dying art among today's cb's. But with all those interceptions dc's seem willing to ignore it. What can you say? I imagine that the OK defense work around it like they do with Striker.

With all due respect horn01, you should go back and look at Cal's roster again. Their qb will be/is a Heisman candidate. They also have a legit all american candidate at wr. The returning qb for Cal threw for 4000 yards and 35 tds.
Caught me on that one I was thinking of Hundley leaving UCLA. So there are two opposing QBs that Texas fans should consider objectively much better than our own situation.

Horn01,

I thought Rudolph did pretty well for a true freshman asked to come in when he did. Do you have a differing opinion of him?
I don't think Texas is in a significantly worse place than OSU at QB, which was the point I attempted to make.

I've never seen a Stoops team look so flat and listless like their bowl game. Truth be told, they looked just as bad in their bowl game as we did. I saw that OK has at least ten 4* players in this year's freshman class so any thoughts as to their recruiting not being as good as in the past is premature.

Cali....I hate Bob Stoops, but I respect him.However, I believe that the only thing that would keep him out of the HOF is his inexplicable ability to get his team to play well in Bowl games. I dont know why, but it seems like a man could make a good living betting on OU to win in the regular season, and betting on them to lose in bowl games.

And while I am at it, I may as well get this out of the way......Fizz...no bet here but once again I will tell you that if OU wins the RRS I will go out in front of my house and sing that disgusting Boomer sooner song. I dont care about moral victories, whether the special teams score, game called on account of riot or Elvis sightings, bad refereeing, or whatever. The only thing I am interested in is the final score.

and.....as always....OU sucks.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Do you call every new poster an aggy or just me? What's up with your aggy sig?
No, just the ones who are obvious. You had 3 posts and all 3 were negative about UT with common groupthink aggy talking points.

My sig is a bet I lost on who got further in the baseball postseason which I'm owning up to. But you gloating over it helps sell your case. :D

Okay, the sunset has put a vivid burnt orange glow in my eyes so here's my take...

I only see one loss (TCU) for the season, the rest of the teams are completely beatable. However, we still could drop 1-2 more just because it's football. So I'm seeing 9-3 to 11-1. I choose 11-1 + Post Season Victory = NC!

dancing-monkeys.gif

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
No, just the ones who are obvious. You had 3 posts and all 3 were negative about UT with common groupthink aggy talking points.

My sig is a bet I lost on who got further in the baseball postseason which I'm owning up to. But you gloating over it helps sell your case. :D

Negative posts? Dude, we're 6-7! Sorry I'm not a sunshine pumper...

Ok let talk 2015 then. Instead of discussing my valid 2015 points I get called a troll. Please tell me who you saw in the Spring game that will fill Shipley an Harris' voids. I'm not a sunshine pumper!
Your not a football guy either... Harris was a nobody before 2014 and Shipley wasn't a do all, fill all voids WR.

Foreman, Warrick, Johnson, Bernard, Daje, Joe, Leonard... Several of these kids will step up. I laugh off anyone whom expects to learn anything from a Spring game... They're glorified practices for fans.

Fall ball in 1 month.

There are a few freshman that may get to shine as well.

Okay, the sunset has put a vivid burnt orange glow in my eyes so here's my take...

I only see one loss (TCU) for the season, the rest of the teams are completely beatable. However, we still could drop 1-2 more just because it's football. So I'm seeing 9-3 to 11-1. I choose 11-1 + Post Season Victory = NC!

dancing-monkeys.gif
Maybe a tad optimistic but the theme is valid...all most all the teams on our schedule are beatable. I don't see many double digit favorites.

Ok let talk 2015 then. Instead of discussing my valid 2015 points I get called a troll. Please tell me who you saw in the Spring game that will fill Shipley and Harris' voids. I'm not a sunshine pumper!

Shipley only had a handful of good plays last year. Harris did well but he wasn't a star. I don't think we will miss them that much. If you think the spring game is anything to go by then you need help, and yes we know what you are trying to do.

Shipley only had a handful of good plays last year. Harris did well but he wasn't a star. I don't think we will miss them that much. If you think the spring game is anything to go by then you need help, and yes we know what you are trying to do.

Yes, I'm trying to talk football. You just wrote off a 1000 yard receiver. Wow....

Yes, I'm trying to talk football. You just wrote off a 1000 yard receiver. Wow....
Nancy,

Do you even know who the last 1000 yd receiver Texas had was and what year? I'll give you a hint, 2009.......... Harris went from nothing to a 1000 yard receiver, thanks coaching staff...It's not that big a deal dude!

I'd rather have multiple 700 -800 guys myself with several in the 400-500 range...and the rest stacking up a couple hun.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
IMO, the Big XII is mediocre right now. Last year we were the only conference that didn't make the playoffs. We had a chance to make a statement in the bowl games and we went 2-5, probably the worst bowl season in Big XII history.

The biggest reason is the lack of good qb's. We've already talked about the qb issue at UT and OK, and TCU and Baylor seem set. I wanna talk about the other six.

KS and ISU. Does it really matter?

WV and KSU. I don't remember his name right offhand but the WV qb didn't play that bad in the Liberty Bowl. There's no reason to think he won't be better this year. Maybe. KSU is starting a new qb and in their system it usually takes a year for a qb to execute their offense. Maybe.

And that leaves TT and OSU. As bad as TT was last year they might have found their qb for the future in Patrick Mahomes. He started in their last game against Baylor and although they lost he had an incredible game. Baylor was lucky to win. Dax Garman led OSU to win two of their last three games including a season saving win against OK. Right now are the two qb's with the best chance of giving the Big XII the quality qb's they desperately need.

The more good qb's the better our chances to get some quality non conference wins, the better our chances of having more teams in the top twenty. Since they're the favorites right now TCU and especially Baylor will need this if they want to make the playoffs. No matter how you slice it, strength of schedule will always matter,

One last thing. How mediocre have Big XII's been the last three years? In 2011 the Big XII had one of their best years ever. They had a Heisman winning qb, and three qb's who went in the first round. They also had two receivers who also went in the first round. Since then? No qb's, and only one receiver. Jones and Klein were drafted but were out of the NFL after one year. Petty was drafted in the fourth round, we'll see if he's an NFL worth qb.

Think about it.

Texas beat Mahomes lead TTU and Garmon lead OSU. So naturally some one here (trolling?) says they should be better than Texas at the QB spot.

Garman went 17 of 29 for 158 versus Texas
Garmin played against Texas, but the last two games of the year, Baylor and OU, Mason Rudolph started. Rudolph also started the bowl game as well.

Mason Rudolph has also already been named the starter for the first game this year.

Not that that makes him a world beater, but it's not Dax Garmin.

But again...looking at Texas' schedule there are two Teams with QBs that jump off the page and will have a definitive edge at QB. The rest have few if any starts if in fact the starter has been named.

But again...looking at Texas' schedule there are two Teams with QBs that jump off the page and will have a definitive edge at QB. The rest have few if any starts if in fact the starter has been named.
I agree. Although, if I wanted to be a thorn in your side (or maybe a bigger thorn in your side :)), Knight is the top of the next tier below the better QBs in the Big Twelve. His accomplishments do actually jump off the page. His problem is so does his inconsistent play. I'm ever so hopeful that a good OC can help alleviate some of that.

ADVERTISEMENT