ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
As a bit of a hopeless romantic, I've always subscribed to the Lord Alfred Tennyson idea that "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." It's an idea that I have embraced in all facets of my life because it embraces the thirst for truly living life rather than living in fear of it.

The reality is that few things in life forever remain the same and if you can't accept the uncontrollable events that can sometimes dictate our losing things that we hold dear to our hearts, fear can be an overwhelming controlling emotion. When it comes to interacting with the people in my life that I truly cherish, my goal is to be the kind of person that brings positive energy and support at all times, with nothing but their best interests at heart at all times.

I want to be a supporter of their dreams. I want to be the steady shoulder for them to lean on that helps remind them that inaction of pursuing dreams out of fear is actually the worst kind of action of all. Those inactions can haunt a man's dreams and lead to a life of what-ifs and emotions that torture the soul. If I can ever lend a helpful hand in making those pursued dreams come true, what kind of friend would I be if I failed to do so?

It's with that last thought in mind that I report with both personal sadness, yet genuine excitement for a very close friend that Chip Brown will be leaving Orangebloods.com at the end of this week and joining Fox Sports/Scout.com so that he can further pursue dreams in this business that haven't yet been realized.

The bottom line is that a unique opportunity presented itself for Chip, an opportunity that allows for him to tackle quests in this industry that are important to him and perhaps can't be conquered within his current role at OB. Perhaps the greatest compliment I'll ever receive as it relates to the brotherhood within the OB staff is that Chip spent so much time over the last month wondering whether this tremendous opportunity was worth moving away from a place he loves and has helped build.

As I told him on the night his departure became somewhat official last week, it was hard to feel disappointment with the situation because of what the deal could potentially mean for him down the road. Over the last six years, I've always felt like we've had a Dream Team of Orangebloods staff members and our partnership has helped grow Orangebloods into one of the nation's leaders in this industry. When Chip arrived at Orangebloods in 2008, we were already the No.1 site in the industry in terms of subscribers, but his presence has helped us grow into the type of brand that is known nationally.

I'll forever love Chip for the blood, sweat and loss of insanity that he gave up to help make us what we've become over the years. It's that love that makes this a very unique situation as far as goodbyes are concerned, but this ultimately came down to Chip living. Or l-i-v-i-n if you will. Hopefully, you'll help me in wishing him well in this new adventure and while he'll once again become a piece of the competition, he'll forever be Orangebloods family.

Also, it's incredibly important that you know my personal commitment is to replace quality with absolute quality as we look at add new Orangebloods piece to the puzzle with Chip's departure. Over the course of the last week and a half, I've had discussions with a number of the nation's top college and NFL reporters about our vacancy and the response I've already received has not only been exciting, but it confirms that Chip's work over the last six years has helped create one of the top positions in the industry. My expectations are that it will take another couple of weeks to complete the recruitment/interviewing process, but the goal is that we'll have an announcement by the middle of May at the latest and the hope is you guys will be excited about our new addition to the OB family.

That being said, today and the rest of this week needs to be about sending Chip away in style and with absolute honor. He means too much to us all to allow the moment to be anything else.

My friend, be well and live well. Nothing but love, my man.

gk

Chip will clearly be greatly missed, and there is no way to really "replace" him. It's what happens in good organizations that are industry leaders. People get recruited out. It's a testament to Chip's work and a testament to Orangebloods' growth. As a personal note, there are few people in this business who have been more kind and giving of their time and insights than Chip has been to me. Thinking back from now, at my one-year anniversary on the OB staff, I realize that Chip was helping me out long before I was even a co-worker.

Chip knows I've always got his back and that we're boys til the end, period.

And as we have to move on, it's exciting for Orangebloods. As a general function of change, all sorts of opportunities for growth and areas for improvement within the organization get addressed through the process. One thing I've always admired about Ketch is his ability to stay ahead of the curve and he seems way out ahead on this one, too.

There will be a thorough vetting process of very qualified candidates to take over Chip's role as the lead on our Texas beat. There will be expansion of existing coverage and new, cool football features. There will be a brand new voice and set of eyes covering the Longhorns with us for our community. There will be threads about BBQ and Sasquatch and other mind-bottling subjects, and it will always be Orangebloods.

God bless Chip Brown and God bless Orangebloods. #LetsRide

Where to begin with this incredible OB family that has made the last six years some of the most rewarding of my career?

First and foremost, there's nothing like the OB community - unprecedented in all the internet - presided over by the one and only Ketch and his often-imitated (including by me) and never duplicated (I never came close) "10 Thoughts From the Weekend."

I'll never know where Ketch finds the time, energy and ability to spew 6,000 to 10,000 words about everything from his Lone Star Rankings to Miley Cyrus to his latest Spotify breakdown of Beethoven - all while tying everything back to a movie?!

Let's see if Haven and Hendrix get dad to slow down at all! Right Longhorn Babe? So excited for you all and all the love and laughter ahead with those little biscuits! (The groundings, wrecked cars and keg parties won't come until much later Ketch.)

But back to the ability of Ketch to tie everything back to a movie … whether it was Teen Wolf (and it was Teen Wolf a lot) … I'll never forget Ketch connecting Mack Brown and John Kreese from the Karate Kid with the headline:

"Finish him! The moment Mack needed John Kreese"

There was a GIF (probably made by ericg320) under the headline that read: "THE LEG sweep it"
I mean it was like 7,000 words of F-ing Mr. Miagi brilliance.

By the way, GK would it kill ya to give us a Loverboy Top 10? Sure, you'll take hell for analyzing those red leather pants-wearing Canucks. But it will be one, big guilty pleasure.

Just sayin. (10 Thoughts from the Weekend? … Workin for the Weekend? … You follow me?)
To Ketch, Jason Suchomel, Taylor Gaspar, Dustin McComas and Alex Dunlap, I say thank you for being great co-workers, colleagues, friends and family. That bond is deep. I carry with me incredible memories and respect for each and every one of you.

To everyone on OB, I say thank you for making me laugh OUT LOUD every single day.

I leave OB with nothing but love and laughter in my heart. I'm so proud of the work we did, helping to make OB a national brand and the largest site of its kind on the internet.

This decision wasn't easy. Ketch and Jason, especially, know that. But in the end, I wanted to pursue a few new challenges (and, yes, I will still be covering Texas for another team site with ties to Scout/Fox).

OB will always be Wal-Mart. I'll now be on a site trying to be K-Mart by comparison (maybe with help from you multi-site subscribers … and the help of my incredible sense of humor … or yours!).

You'll never hear me give OB anything but love because I've loved being here the past six years, covering the stories that have mattered to you, hopefully with a laugh here and there.

Through all of those stories - the good, the bad and the ugly (and there was some ugly) - myself, Ketch, Jason, Taylor and Dustin worked hand in hand, stood together, which made the reporting and any recognition for OB even more rewarding.

And now we are off and running in the Charlie Strong and Steve Patterson eras. Strong is the Listerine of truth. Patterson may be the first GM/Exporter of Texas athletics. Bill Powers is still playing dodgeball with Wallace Hall. The Bev Kearney depositions loom. Who knows what other adventures lay ahead?

Thank you again my dysfunctional OB family. We have raised money for incredible causes. We've experienced life (Hendrix, Haven and so many life-changing births) and, of course, death within the OB family (Hornya and, sadly, many others).

We've laughed uncontrollably together at the OB Letterman's jacket … Scary Jarbro's photo albums … the 16-page Ginger Man thread and 17-page Ginger Man II thread … ericg320's greatest GIF hits (ericg320 please email me the latest at chipbrown210@gmail.com !!!) … and maybe my favorite - the OB personalities thread (You're killin me Smalls).

May God bless you all. Here's hoping our paths cross again soon.

Now … Ketch … for your next 10 Thoughts … what about a side-by-side analysis of Steve Patterson and Bill Lumbergh from Office Space? … Just sayin.

Originally posted by Alex Dunlap:
Chip will clearly be greatly missed, and there is no way to really "replace" him. It's what happens in good organizations that are industry leaders. People get recruited out. It's a testament to Chip's work and a testament to Orangebloods' growth. As a personal note, there are few people in this business who have been more kind and giving of their time and insights than Chip has been to me. Thinking back from now, at my one-year anniversary on the OB staff, I realize that Chip was helping me out long before I was even a co-worker.

And as we have to move on, it's exciting for Orangebloods. As a general function of change, all sorts of opportunities for growth and areas for improvement within the organization get addressed through the process. One thing I've always admired about Ketch is his ability to stay ahead of the curve and he seems way out ahead on this one, too.

There will be a thorough vetting process of very qualified candidates to take over Chip's role as the lead on our Texas beat. There will be expansion of existing coverage and new, cool football features. There will be a brand new voice and set of eyes covering the Longhorns with us for our community. There will be threads about BBQ and Sasquatch and other mind-bottling subjects, and it will always be Orangebloods.

+ a billion

will you still be participating in board discussions, chip?

Also, congratulations. I've always admired your work
This post was edited on 4/23 10:10 AM by atex720

When Chip joined OB, I was still in my rookie stage as a writer trying to establish myself and work my way up at Orangebloods. To be completely honest, I didn't know much about Chip other than he was a well-respected, well-known name in the industry that spent a lot of time at one of the most well-respected newspapers in the country. Heck, I didn't know much about journalism in general outside of my little realm.

What I soon came to find out is that Chip is extremely good at what he does. Being someone that prides himself on his work ethic and willingness to tackle anything, I soon realized Chip was as much of a grinder as I am. When there was a big-time story being chased, Chip never stopped digging. I mean he never stopped. I seriously don't think the guy slept on some occasions. And the pride he took in his work and in our product being the best was something that radiated throughout our small family of writers.

Whether it was a huge story, a simple story, or a radio segment, the energy Chip puts into what he does is truly remarkable, and it's one of the main reasons why he's as great and respected as he is. Just by the way he conducted himself, the way he worked, and the advice he gave, Chip helped me learn a lot as a young writer, and I truly appreciate that. I'm honored to have worked with him for as long as I did.

It's a shame I can't call him a coworker anymore, but I know I'll always be able to call him a friend. Not only was he great to work with, but Chip is a guy that you could have a beer with and guy that would call you up to check in when you were going through rough times. I wish Chip the best. The work he put in really helped solidify Orangebloods as the best of its kind, and while it'll keep being the best of its kind, and he truly is a good dude. That being said, he's definitely buying me a beer the next time we meet again.

As for Orangebloods, I seriously couldn't be more excited about our future. The interest we've received from big-time names all across the country has been more than I imagined, and OB members are about to get an even better bang for their buck on what is already an awesome deal. It's like the Red Sox having an opening in the middle of their order and all the big-name free agents salivating at the idea of being that guy. Y'all are in for a treat. We won't miss a beat, and we'll become a better product than ever before.

As for now, I'm sending a big e-fist-pound, the Chip go-to-move when he'd see you, Chip's way. All the best, brother. You not only taught me a ton, but you now have a friend for life in me.

This post was edited on 4/23 10:12 AM by DustinMcComas

Wait, what? Where have I been and how did I miss this? You'll be greatly missed, Chip

Wow. This is big. The bloodhound will be greatly missed! All the best, Chip!!

Originally posted by ChipBrown:

Now … Ketch … for your next 10 Thoughts … what about a side-by-side analysis of Steve Patterson and Bill Lumbergh from Office Space? … Just sayin.
O.M.G.

Chip, you have been a wonderful addition to the Orangebloods family. It's sad to see you go, but I'm excited for the opportunity you have ahead of you. Thank you for all the hard work and sacrifice you have put in over the last six years. You have helped make Orangebloods the site it is today and nothing will ever change that. You will always be a part of the OB family in my opinion. I wish you nothing but success and happiness with your new endeavor.

Originally posted by Alex Dunlap:

Dammit. I wish I was smart enough to think of including the #LetsRide hashtag. Well done.

Originally posted by HornOwl:
Wow. This is big. The bloodhound will be greatly missed! All the best, Chip!!
Yes, he will. My job now is to make sure his replacement is legit.

Originally posted by ChipBrown:

But in the end, I wanted to pursue a few new challenges (and, yes, I will still be covering Texas for another team site with ties to Scout/Fox).
Interesting.

Lost his insanity for the site? That's a heavy price to pay!

Good Luck Chip both in this thread and your next endeavor.

Originally posted by TheUofT:
WHAT? Chip is why I'm a member. Darn.
Hopefully, we'll give you other reasons to remain in our OB family.

I can assure you that the replacement process will produce an elite-level contributor. That's the plan. Good isn't enough.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:
Big loss for OB.
I'd rather look at it as an exciting opportunity for Chip.

Chip has helped put us in a position where we can hire an elite option to help fill the void. Let's see what I can put together.

Like Ketch said, today's a sad day on one hand, but I can't help but be excited for a guy for whom I have an enormous amount of respect.

I'm out of the country right now, but made sure I could be around the computer when this announcement was made so I could show the type of support that Chip deserves. He'll be missed greatly. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Chip both personally and professionally, I'm glad to call him a friend and I'm proud of what he's helped us build here at Orangebloods.

I feel like he and I had a terrific working chemistry, but I'm excited for him as he takes on new challenges. I have no doubts that he'll be terrific in any and all endeavors.

As much as I'll miss having Chip here, after having lengthy talks with Ketch, I'm excited about the direction we're heading and the future of OB. When we hired Chip, it was a risky move for him to leave the print industry to come over to Rivals. That's not the case anymore, in large part thanks to his work. The fact that working at OB is job that is coveted by others is a credit to Chip. Ketch has always been all-in on making OB the best place it can be, and I have no doubts that we'll make a terrific hire to fill the void.

Good luck to my man Chip Brown on his new endeavor. Much love to you for all the hard work you've put in over the years to make OB a special place!

Dammit! Well good luck to you, Chip. We will all miss your stories, you've been a great piece of OB. You've helped take OB to new heights. Drop in from time to time.

Ketch good luck with the search!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Congrats Chip! Your contributions and sense of humor will be missed, hopefully you'll check in on us every once in a while! Godspeed.

Originally posted by TCUHorns:
Dammit! Well good luck to you, Chip. We will all miss your stories, you've been a great piece of OB. You've helped take OB to new heights. Drop in from time to time.

Ketch good luck with the search!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I have to admit that the search thus far has been kind of exciting. One national writer that everyone knows from another beat called the job was one of the best in the country. I've been surprised at the interest level thus far. Part of that is due to the work Chip has contributed in these last 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT