ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Originally posted by stanislaus:

Chip - you were a big reason I kept my DMN subscription for so long here in Austin. Not blowing smoke - Over all the years when I opened to the sports page I would always look for Blackie's column on Sunday and your coverage on any day. Happy to have had your expertise on this site. Best wishes. Are you still going to do your radio gig on 104?
Thanks Stanislaus. Those thoughts mean a lot. Yes, I'm still doing mornings on 104.9.

Originally posted by fan49:
I hate to ask but where is Chip going?
As mentioned, he'll be with Fox/Scout and will be involved in a number of mediums, including the UT site in the Scout community.

giphy.gif

Good luck Chip. Loved your insight and your hard work.

Congrats Chip on the new gig--very excited for you and thanks for all of your great work and reads over the years.

Hook'em!

Originally posted by Moooooo:
Ketch, you ever hear of a non-compete clause?
I wasn't going to stand in the way on any level of him having this opportunity. In fact, I let him make this move with a little time left on his contract.

I would never want to step in his way of trying to make his life better and pursuing unfinished business. A lot of of attention will be placed on the web site of things, but this is a global opportunity that really interested him. If you truly love some, letting them go can sometimes be the biggest show of proof you can give.

Been following Chip since DMN days as well. This sucks but I understand the need to be closer to Charissa Thompson.

Originally posted by ChipBrown:

Originally posted by RLong68:

Not sure it's a coincidence that Chip is moving on as the last McCoy moves on.
That's a microphone dropper RLong68 ... Absolutely fitting post from the Long man. ...
cool.r191677.gif
Best of luck to you amigo. It's been fun.

Originally posted by LongAus:

John Harris and Lance Zierlein say hello.
Always loved the work those two did for us, but this is a completely different situation. with an entirely different pay-scale discussion.

Originally posted by hilltophorn:

John Harris would be an amazing hire.
Unrelated to the biggest move I have to make, but Johnny and I are in discussions about content possibilities as well.

I love his insight.

Originally posted by ngnichols:
Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
Yeah, so this is bullsh.

ec
My thoughts exactly.

This is a kick in the balls for OB for sure.
I'm not much for sitting around and worrying about spilled milk.

If we were never to replace Chip, it would be a huge loss. If I can close the deal as a recruiter on this end, I'm quite excited about what the new model of OB will look like.

This is a destination job in the eyes of a lot of people and I can tell you from the discussions I've had that the interest in making great money, living in Austin, covering what amounts to a pro sports team and doing so on the largest platform in the yahoo/rivals world is significant. After all, this is a gig that helped lift Chip to true stardom IMO.

Chip - you were a big reason I kept my DMN subscription for so long here in Austin. Not blowing smoke - Over all the years when I opened to the sports page I would always look for Blackie's column on Sunday and your coverage on any day. Happy to have had your expertise on this site. Best wishes. Are you still going to do your radio gig on 104?
Thanks Stanislaus. Those thoughts mean a lot. Yes, I'm still doing mornings on 104.9.
Ironically, we might soon be working together on the radio side more than ever. What a world, huh?

Chip is the best part about OB, I'll really miss him. Thank goodness Chip will still be on the radio in Austin on 104.9. Agreed on no Lance Z under any circumstances.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Hate to see you leave, Chip!

Congrats on the opportunity though!

Damn hate to see chip leave the site. Can't replace him imo
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Ironically, we might soon be working together on the radio side more than ever. What a world, huh?
Chip doing more with Yahoo Sports Radio or you doing more with 104.9?

My sources indicate to me that Chip is leaving to join the Pac16. I'll have a writeup later this morning.

Seriously, though, congrats to Chip and good luck with your future endeavors over at Scout. Wish you the best of luck.

I'm not going to lie, this is going to hurt. I was a member before Chip came on board and I'll be a member for a long time. But I've always said hiring Chip was the best thing Geoff ever did for this website.

We will miss you greatly Chip. I can't imagine what Fox/247 is offering that would pull you away (I'm assuming more tv time). But whatever it is, I wish you the best.

Originally posted by bobcat45:
Damn hate to see chip leave the site. Can't replace him imo
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Life is nothing but chapters in a storybook. Our chapter with Chip ended, but the book won't go south IMO.

Give us a chance to prove you wrong. One of the great things about this world we live in is that there are a lot of talented people out there doing really good work.

Good luck Chip on the move and I hope it turns out to be all you expect it to be.

You will be missed... But I'm sure the opportunity to go "dumpster hiding" for your next scoop is just around the corner!

Congrats and good luck!

Bleed'n

Hire Steven A Smith and make him type his stories in all caps to reflect his emphasis on every word...oh, and congratulations and best of luck to Chip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT