ADVERTISEMENT

Around college football: Bill Snyder’s letters one-of-a-kind

Texas008

Aug 17, 2006
Plano
susantaylorgallery.com
http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/12/26/snyders-letters-one-of-a-kind.html

The letters come on Kansas State stationery, always written in purple, felt-tip pen. The scrawling handwriting is unmistakable.

Each note is unique, tailored to a player who was injured or perhaps had a great game.

In an era of Twitter and text messages, the letters that Bill Snyder writes still stand out. They arrive shortly after games, usually offering encouragement or expressing admiration, regardless of the outcome.

>> Got a question about Ohio State sports? Ask the experts!

>> Follow @buckeyextra on Twitter, because it's the right thing to do

“Well, I’ve got to do something,” the longtime Kansas State coach said with a wry grin. “You’re in an office 24 hours a day, so you find something to do.”

Snyder said he writes “a great deal of notes to players who I believe performed well, to young people who I believe have the right approach, the right attitude about their lives, about college football.”

The 74-year-old coach probably sent dozens, if not hundreds, of notes before anyone other than the recipient became aware of them. It wasn’t until a few players posted their letters on Twitter that they became known.

In one such instance, the Wildcats began the 2013 season as reigning Big 12 champions. But in their opener, lower-division North Dakota State rolled into town and upset them 24-21. Regardless, Snyder sat down and wrote to Bison quarterback Brock Jensen.

“I was truly impressed with you,” the letter read. “You played so very well, virtually error-free and with such poise. I wish you a great year and hope you achieve all you desire.”

North Dakota State went on to win its third straight Football Championship Subdivision national title.

“That was our first game, and it arguably ruined their season right off the bat,” Jensen said. “And yeah, for him, I’m sure it was hard writing that letter.

“But that’s the kind of person he is.”

ADVERTISEMENT