ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
The good news, it sounds like Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach are 100 percent committed to Texas. That's huge as both are great fits in Shaka's system.

Texas needs to go find a forward, maybe Tevin Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaka goes after a transfer.

IMO Lammert, Ridley and Ibeh aren't great fits in Shaka's system. Ibeh should be fine but not sure about Lammert and Ridley. It will be interesting how Shaka adapts his "havoc" system until he gets the players he likes. It won't surprise me if one of these guys transfers to another school (mutual parting). Cleare is actually the best fit IMO.

@GoodmanESPN: Shaka Smart already getting after it since taking the Texas job. Called and offered Vermont Academy guard Bruce Brown a scholarship.

2016 SF Braxton Blackwell was just offered.

#37 player in the country per 247.

@GoodmanESPN: Cleveland State transfer Trey Lewis visited Louisville and also heavy interest from UConn, Ohio State, Xavier & Texas.

Averaged 16 points a game this year.
This post was edited on 4/5 3:21 PM by utisdabomb12

Mom of 5-star 2016 SG Terrance Ferguson. ... RT @C_Chellle: Just got off the phone with Shaka Smart, seems like Texas picked the right guy.

2016 class will be huge for Shaka. Ridley, Ibeh, Lammert, Felix and Holland gone. Will be able to take a big class.

Isabelle Khurshudyan:

Updated story on VCU: 4-star recruit Tevin Mack's mom says he asked for his release, but it hasn't been granted yet:

On the Tevin Mack front, his mother said he asked for his release after Shaka Smart left for Texas. Wade could potentially sway him to stay.

Devonte Brooks:

Source: Georgetown will not go after Tevin Mack and thinks he may end up at Texas

Roach and Shaka

CCM7ZtwUMAIQPHU.jpg

Give me Tevin Mack. Mack, Roach and Davis would be an unbelievable class. Pretty sure that's all the room we have for this class.

Jeff Goodman: Just talked to Nigel Williams-Goss. Said UNLV definitely in the mix, and he plans to visit Texas. Michigan State and G'Town also involved.

Would love this pickup.

Hey bomb why did tevin mack erase his twitter? And this guy Mat Shelton-Eide says wade practically made shaka and shaka wasn't anything without him. And that VCU also has upgraded their coach. His twitter he talks alot of crap about Texas I smell hater
Posted from Rivals Mobile

"Hey bomb why did tevin mack erase his twitter?"

He still has it. He just changed his twitter name.

"And this guy Mat Shelton-Eide says wade practically made shaka and shaka wasn't anything without him. And that VCU also has upgraded their coach. His twitter he talks alot of crap about Texas I smell hater"

He's a writer for VCU Ram Nation. Of course he's going to hype their new coach and degrade a coach they just lost. Actually, I'm not even sure if he's a writer I think he just might be a user. Never even heard of him until tonight.

This post was edited on 4/13 12:11 AM by utisdabomb12

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
"Hey bomb why did tevin mack erase his twitter?"

He still has it. He just changed his twitter name.

"And this guy Mat Shelton-Eide says wade practically made shaka and shaka wasn't anything without him. And that VCU also has upgraded their coach. His twitter he talks alot of crap about Texas I smell hater"

He's a writer for VCU Ram Nation. Of course he's going to hype their new coach and degrade a coach they just lost. Actually, I'm not even sure if he's a writer I think he just might be a user. Never even heard of him until tonight.

This post was edited on 4/13 12:11 AM by utisdabomb12

Ahh any updates about him visiting or coming? Yeah I thought he was a writer or something for VCU

"Ahh any updates about him visiting or coming? Yeah I thought he was a writer or something for VCU."

I haven't heard anything. Coaches can't contact Mack until VCU releases him from his scholarship, I believe. You won't see any news until VCU releases him from his scholarship. I guess VCU might not release him from his scholarship, but I doubt it.

"Ahh any updates about him visiting or coming? Yeah I thought he was a writer or something for VCU."

I haven't heard anything. Coaches can't contact Mack until VCU releases him from his scholarship, I believe. You won't see any news until VCU releases him from his scholarship. I guess VCU might not release him from his scholarship, but I doubt it.

But they have released the other two and not mack?

"But they have released the other two and not mack?"

Not sure, I haven't been keeping up with it. I know all 3 have asked to be released from their scholarship, but I'm not sure any have actually been released yet.

Originally posted by RoboCocks21:
Hey bomb why did tevin mack erase his twitter? And this guy Mat Shelton-Eide says wade practically made shaka and shaka wasn't anything without him. And that VCU also has upgraded their coach.
I was waiting for such a statement to come out, it was inevitable.

The new Texas coaching staff wasted zero time, and is immediately making its mark on the recruiting trail. And it's making its mark with some big-time prospects. One of those prospects is Prime Prep Academy (Dallas) 2016 shooting guard Terrance Ferguson.

Before Shaka Smart's arrival at Texas, Ferguson, rated as the No. 5 prospect overall in the 2016 Rivals150, wasn't considering Texas. That's changed.

"We both were really impressed with him," Ferguson said about him and his mother after Monday's chat with Smart. "And we've decided to take another look at Texas now that he's there."

Ferguson, who is 6-6 and is known for his ability to catch fire from deep and ability above-the-rim, said that Smart's message was simple.

"He just wanted to introduce himself and let me and my Mom know that I have an offer from Texas and they will be recruiting me and following me this summer."

What stood out to Ferguson was the fact that Smart immediately wasted no time reaching out to him. Plus, the super-talented guard is a fan of the new Texas head coach's energy and style.

"Just the fact that he's fresh on the job and took no time reaching out to me. We like his energy and his coaching style, and believe he can get some top talent here and build a strong program at Texas in no time."

At times, the previous Texas staff shied away from the Dallas area, which is known as one of the most difficult areas to recruit because of all the talent and interest from every top program. I would expect this new staff to go after any top Dallas-area player it's interested in.

Often when schools go through a coaching change, players that have signed with that school contemplate trying to get out of their signed LOI, especially when the coach they originally signed with ends up at another school like Rick Barnes. However, it sounds like that won't be the case for the Longhorns.

During the early signing period, Texas received signatures from two Rivals 150 four-star guards: North Shore's (Houston) Kerwin Roach and Arthur Hill's (Saginaw, Michigan) Eric Davis. Roach, who is rated as the No. 38 prospect overall, has been adamant that he had no second-thoughts about Texas during the coaching change. There was some question surrounding the status of Davis. However, it sounds like Smart did a good job of reaching out to the scoring guard early and making sure he knew he was wanted.

"Eric is very happy with Shaka," said Paul Carmona, who was one of Davis' coaches at The Family AAU program. "Shaka has stressed to Eric that he will be a key part of their team and he will need Eric to score from both the one and two spots."

The moment Smart was hired, the new Texas head coach reached out to the talented guard.

"Shaka called Eric the night he was hired," stated Carmona. "Eric loves everything about Texas. He can't wait to get down there."

Carmona also said he was impressed that Eric never felt out of the loop with what was going on at Texas despite all the turnover. He was complimentary of the situation being handled as best as it could, which I interpreted as playing a positive role in Davis' current feelings toward Texas.

A source indicated that Texas feels good about its ability to keep Davis in the mix, and getting him on campus. Sometimes, these things can turn sideways, but everything sounds positive for Texas right now.

On the flip side of that, there is VCU signee Tevin Mack. But there could be more good news for Texas when it comes to signed players.

A Rivals.com source in that region told me that he's heard from multiple people tied to hoops programs that Mack, who is rated as the No. 78 prospect in the country, is expected to try to follow Smart to Texas.

If you missed it earlier this week, Rivals.com hoops analyst Eric Bossi posted this:

"FWIW, I've been hearing a lot the last few days that VCU signee Tevin Mack finds his way to Texas before it is all said and done. Still a chance that he sticks with VCU but my understanding is the new VCU staff (at least head coach) is expecting Mack to ask for a release and I don't think they will try to block it."

Like Bossi, my educated guess, after asking around, is that VCU won't try to block Mack if he asks for a release. New VCU head coach Will Wade was the first person Smart hired at VCU, and the two go as far back as 2006 at Clemson, where Smart was an assistant and Wade Director of Basketball Operations.

What kind of player is Mack? He's a 6-6 scorer. And we all know Texas needs more of those types.

Texas officially announced its basketball staff today, and the timing probably had to do with this:

At noon this afternoon, a 12-hour recruiting period, which ends at midnight, began and tomorrow through April 12th is an evaluation period. Here are a few players that Texas has reached out to recently, and will see at some point this weekend:

Ferguson
Jarrett Allen
Victor Bailey

Surely, there are more names as Texas will watch a ton of games during this evaluation period, but those are three of the big guns I've heard they will see for sure. Texas has been in contact with Allen and his AAU coach already.

"I don't think they have a choice."

No, I'm pretty sure they can hold them to their scholarship since they signed during the early signing period. It's not worth the effort and bad PR, so most schools just release kids from the scholarship (especially after a coaching change).

"I don't think they have a choice."

No, I'm pretty sure they can hold them to their scholarship since they signed during the early signing period. It's not worth the effort and bad PR, so most schools just release kids from the scholarship (especially after a coaching change).
I stand corrected, you are right about the early signing period, and they don't have to release him. Most schools do release the player, and I think they will also, unless they want to make him leave and lose a season of eligibility. As you stated, that would be bad PR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT