ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting

Dang.
laugh.r191677.gif

Tevin Mack has officially been released from his scholarship. Now it gets interesting.

"The No. 68 rated player nationally and the No. 12 ranked small forward, according to the 247Sports Composite, Mack would bolster an already strong Texas recruiting class, if added. Already in the fold are top-50 guards Eric Davis, a projected shooting guard."

"If Smart could sway Mack to follow him again, it would also help fill a major roster hole. The Longhorns currently have only one true small forward on the roster -- Jordan Barnett - and no upperclassmen."

Tevin Mack released from VCU LOI

I haven't been this excited for a recruit in some time (that's including Turner). Davis is a flat out stud and knows how to score. If he played in Texas he would be a top 20 national player.

2016 PG Kameron McGusty was offered tonight. Only a 3 star, but he's about to blow up. Kind of like Roach last year.

Depends on what publication you use. ESPN has him as a PG, 247 has him as a SG. He's pretty much a combo guard (which is what Smart likes).

This post was edited on 4/14 11:52 PM by utisdabomb12

They offered JJ Caldwell who is a PG tonight too. 4 star Looks like he is friends and follows Kameron on twitter.

This post was edited on 4/15 12:15 AM by GORME

I have never followed basketball recruiting and going through google and it looks like may 18 is basketball signing day, Is that correct ??

Originally posted by bubba2023:
Why does basketball have an early signing period, but football doesn't?
yea, that is kinda why I asked what I did. It is a little confusing
confused0006.r191677.gif

Eric Davis is going to stick with Texas, according to 247.

"The Texas Longhorns remain in the mix for Washington Huskies guard transfer Nigel Williams-Goss, who set up an in-home visit with head coach Shaka Smart for next Monday and will also visit Austin on May 1.

The 6'3, 195-pounder also has upcoming in-home visits with Georgetown and Providence and plans to taking trips to UNLV, Providence, and Georgetown, with Michigan State also a possibility to host Washington's leader in scoring and assists from last season."

UW PG Nigel Williams-Goss (Findley Prep HS)
15.9 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 5.9 APG

"I have never followed basketball recruiting and going through google and it looks like may 18 is basketball signing day, Is that correct ??"

Sounds about right, not sure on the exact date. A good majority of players have already signed in the early signing period though.

If Texas were to land Mack, Shaka would have 3 top 50 recruits in this class (per ESPN). I think Scout and 247 have Mack rated a little bit lower.

Regardless, 3 top 50 players would be a damn good start for a new coach in building a roster. All 3 of those guys are 3 or 4 years players too IMO.

Eric Davis had a pretty good game last night at the Jordan Brand Classic.

14 points, 2 assists, and 0 turnovers in 20 minutes of play. Kid is cold blooded from deep, went 2-3 from the 3 point line.

Can't wait to see Davis and Roach suit up. Part of me was hoping that Taylor would leave, I'm not to fond of his game. He is terrible from deep, gets to the rack, but misses a lot of point blanks shots, allows players to sag on our bigs, so he makes it harder on everyone else, and his passing is suspect (how is he still struggling to get the ball down low). He's athletic, so he gets his points on the college level, but I can't wait to see someone else at the point. As I stated before last season, he is better suited to get out and run, but even then, he is still lacking too much in other areas. For those that said he would shine in a half court offense, I still have that twisted look on my face. For those that said Barnes should not play with a more up-tempo style of play, but slow it down, I still have that twisted look on my face...watch what happens with Smart. Smart brings everything to the table, that I said Barnes should have done this past season, press and all (basically havoc before everyone all of a sudden became excited about havoc). Can't wait to see what Smart does, especially a few years from now, when he has hand picked the players, himself.
This post was edited on 4/18 8:49 AM by blh111

Andrew King and Dustin McComas tweets:

Shaka Smart says Isaiah Taylor is leading in offseason workouts and they plan to have him back.

Long list of big-time football recruits expected at Texas today, but biggest visitor might be on the hoops side - five-star PG De'Aaron Fox.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:

Shaka Smart says Isaiah Taylor is leading in offseason workouts and they plan to have him back.
Recognizing Taylor's weaknesses as a player that BLH noted, I still think this would be unequivocally terrific news. TJ or DJ he is not, but I don't see how we're a better team without him than with him next year. Hopefully some better coaching (and perimeter shooting from his teammates) will help to resolve or mitigate some of Taylor's current shortcomings. I expect that we'll see a significant jump in basketball IQ across the roster.

Originally posted by BringBackRoyal:

Recognizing Taylor's weaknesses as a player that BLH noted, I still think this would be unequivocally terrific news. TJ or DJ he is not, but I don't see how we're a better team without him than with him next year. Hopefully some better coaching (and perimeter shooting from his teammates) will help to resolve or mitigate some of Taylor's current shortcomings. I expect that we'll see a significant jump in basketball IQ across the roster.

I see a more potent and efficient offense without him. When he got hurt last season, everyone said we would be so much better when he returned. When he returned he did nothing to make us better. He was 4 of 13 and 1 of 10 against OU, 2 of 10 and 2 of 7 against Tech, 3 of 12 and 6 of 15 against OSU, 8 of 17 and 6 of 15 against KU, 5 of 16 and 8 of 18 against ISU, 7 of 18 against Baylor, 1 of 5 against WVU, and 6 of 15 against Butler. Looking at that, to go along with his herky jerky feet on defense, his stats are fools gold. People get caught up in his points, but don't look at how he got there. Some numbers lie, those don't. Leading workouts is one thing, producing on the floor is another. Of course he had a few decent games, but he is not that dude.

I love that people are talking about basketball, again. I see big things ahead.

This post was edited on 4/18 3:33 PM by blh111

I don't just fixate on point totals. If I did, I wouldn't have gone on a celebratory bender when AJ Abrams finally graduated.

I definitely agree that is Taylor was generally inefficient as a shooter, but I have a hard time putting all -- or even a majority -- of the blame on him. From my point of view, he tried to do too much when hardly anyone else could do much of anything on offense, but he obviously is not, nor ever will be, the type of transcendent player that can go win games by himself. I also hesitate to draw any strong conclusions as to trends in the team's overall performance after his return, because things had already started to go south before he came back, and because mid-season declines are a prominent feature of latter-day Rick Barnes teams. Hesitancy and fear of the quick hook had already begun to take its toll on team performance, and I don't really think there's any way things would have been better if Taylor had stayed out -- Barnes was gonna Barnes, and he started Barnesing even earlier than usual last season.

I'm not saying that Taylor doesn't have deficiencies that go beyond being forced to play in a terrible offensive situation, but I'm optimistic that those deficiencies will be responsive to improved coaching. We shall see.

And I wholeheartedly share the excitement that Texas fans might start paying more attention to basketball again.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I can dig that.

I don't think things got worse when he returned from injury, I just don't believe he did anything to make the team better.

That's fair. Hope we adjust well and improve, whatever Taylor's decision is. With things in Shaka's hands, I'm optimistic. Damn nice to be excited about Texas basketball again!

We definitely want Taylor to return. Roach and Davis are both talented as hell but I never trust freshman.

Chip Miller:

Texas assistant Mike Morell met with 2015 Dreher High (SC) Tevin Mack for most of the day at his school on Friday, according to @thestate.

We definitely want Taylor to return. Roach and Davis are both talented as hell but I never trust freshman.
It's college basketball, I have no problem trusting talented freshmen, for several reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT