ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket Cooking Method needed. I want Bark!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want bark buy the coarsest black pepper you can find, and once the smoker shuts, don't check to see if ur getting a bark all the time. ; )
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Gonzo,
It is looking good.

Now keep the damn lid of the smoker shut.

Before & After pics are good enough for us!!
3dgrin.gif

Originally posted by LONGHORNREALTOR:
Gonzo
Contrary to popular belief and preaching on the site
You will never ever get a good park on a brisket by wrapping it up in oil and sticking it in an ice chest for an hour or 2 or 3 or 4
All your gonna do there is steam the meat and then steam away ANY Bark On the outside of said brisket
Cali Is correct on the hot and fast version of cooking your brisket

Hey LHR, I just had the opportunity to look at some MasterBuilt smokers at Outdoor World and while they are nice, the quality is no where near Cookshacks. I'm not saying that they don't cook well, but they are much more cheaply built. I know you love cooking, so you might want to check Cookshack smokers out next time you are shopping for one. I've been using them for years and recently Joeywa got one as well. We love them and I bet you would too.

ttt
Originally posted by sundance7:

Originally posted by TxshrnsNC:
THis has been my problem as well. I always make good smokey brisket, but it never has that much bark on it. I was thinking it was primarily due to the fact that I tend to cook smaller briskets at around 220, perhaps I should increase the heat up to maybe 250? I think I will try the butcher paper as well.
Can you purchase butcher paper in a supermarket or do you have to order it online?
ttt

ttt

Originally posted by TxshrnsNC:
THis has been my problem as well. I always make good smokey brisket, but it never has that much bark on it. I was thinking it was primarily due to the fact that I tend to cook smaller briskets at around 220, perhaps I should increase the heat up to maybe 250? I think I will try the butcher paper as well.
Can you purchase butcher paper in a supermarket or do you have to order it online?
ttt

Try any restaurant supply, but online is easy enough.

Originally posted by Texlex39:
Send me your email and I will send the best, easiest and failproof brisket recipe there is. texlex939@sbcglobal.net

tex-- could not get an email to go through.

What is everyone using for their rub on the Brisket? I've only done one since I picked up the Masterbuilt from Sam's last week. I picked one at random that was paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, coriander, and some other seasonings.
I actually got pretty good bark but not enough smoke. I picked up some Traegar pellets today and that thing was a smoke machine for today's ribs.

I use Gordon's Grub Rub on everything.

Originally posted by PedroNorte:
What is everyone using for their rub on the Brisket? I've only done one since I picked up the Masterbuilt from Sam's last week. I picked one at random that was paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, coriander, and some other seasonings.
I actually got pretty good bark but not enough smoke. I picked up some Traegar pellets today and that thing was a smoke machine for today's ribs.

Start with a little olive oil so that the seasoning make a paste and stick. Then, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard powder, and cayenne pepper. That is all you need other than cooking it properly. You don't need a rub, but they are fine to use if you prefer to use them.

Rev, curious why you use olive oil over mustard?

Salt and pepper is all you need

Originally posted by 1stB12Champs:
Salt and pepper is all you need
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

ΔΔΔTHISΔΔΔ

Rev,

I know that the cookshack is a great cooker, but it is a bit cost prohibative as a cooker for what you get. I can replace my Masterbilt almost three times over

GONZO...looks great man, like Alex said, keep the lid closed and you'll get great bark, and I do agree with the coarsest pepper and the use of sea salt

Reactions: duqu
Lots of kosher salt and pepper and then put it back in the bag and in the fridge over night. Also, I only use wood cut from oak tress that have been dead so long, that they not only have no bark but are gray and weathered on the outside. Don't have to worry about being too smokey with that kind of wood.

Got an 11 pound brisket soaking in some of cali's Apple Chipotle brine right now. Gonna put it on about 8 in the morning and should be done by 6 for dinner!

If anyone is ever around the Smithville or Rosanky area and would like some post oak bbq wood just do a post with my handle in the title. I can hook you up at no charge. I've got plenty.
This post was edited on 5/7 9:39 PM by bozoc

Originally posted by joshgw1:

Originally posted by joeywa:

Originally posted by GoodOldBill10:
Ok I know I will be stomped into the ground and laughed at but what is bark?
The outer 'crust' is the "bark."

Good lord, that looks awesome!

This post was edited on 5/6 5:07 PM by joshgw1

Awesome is a HUGE understatement! That is as beautiful as anything I have seen in my life except for my son being born!

Originally posted by GoodOldBill10:
Ok I know I will be stomped into the ground and laughed at but what is bark?
The outer 'crust' is the "bark."

Joeywa, Would you PLEASE give us a quick rundown of exactly what you did to get a brisket to look, and I am sure taste, like that? Rub, did you wrap it, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by jdanmiller:
Joeywa, Would you PLEASE give us a quick rundown of exactly what you did to get a brisket to look, and I am sure taste, like that? Rub, did you wrap it, etc.? Thanks in advance!
Simple. On that particular brisket, I used a mixture of kosher salt and cracked, coarse black pepper very liberally.
Brought the brisket to room temp.

Base fire was Royal Oak in the firebox, (which I use since I cannot get any decent Oak wood up here.)
Then, after the coals are white, I added 1 Mesquite log, 1 Cherry log and 2 Pecan logs.
Place brisket on the smoker, fat side up, and maintain 225 temp in the smoke box.
This was a smaller brisket, right at 7 pounds.
Smoked it for 11 hours, as that was when it was ready.
For the first few hours, (4,) I sprayed it every hour with a mixture of olive oil, melted butter, apple juice and orange juice.
Then I left it.
As I needed more fuel, I added 1 more cherry and 2 more pecan logs over the course of smoking.

I do NOT wrap the brisket at any point during smoking.

When it was ready, I pulled it off the smoker and wrapped it in Saran Wrap, lightly in foil, wrapped in a towel and placed in an empty ice chest for 30 minutes to rest.

Unwrapped and sliced.

Then I ate it.
3dgrin.gif

I have tried many different combinations of rubs and brines.
I like many of the different dry rubs I've tried, and the ones from Texas are probably my favorites, (Salt Lick, both of them, Rudy's and Stubb's.) I try to pick up a jar of whatever one's I can find to try at BBQ joints and meat markets when I'm traveling.

I really enjoy Cali's brines, and have had a ton of success with all of them. My favorite on a brisket is the Tres Chiles, but sadly, I was out of stock on this one. So I decided to do the Franklin BBQ recipe to the best of my ability. It turned out to be one of the best briskets I've ever smoked.

Here are a couple of more pics from earlier in the smoke process:

Hope this helps. Happy smoking!
smokin.gif

I get good bark by putting it on when temp is around 300. I let the temp reduce down to 220 and maintain it. I wrap it after 7 or 8 hrs in foil for 2hrs then uncover it and smoke until reaches right meat temp. I get a nice bark and smoke ring on brisket. I smoke briskets with 1 mesquite and 3 oak ratio.

Reactions: turtfarmer
Originally posted by Gonzo26:
I am cooking 2 8lb briskets tomorrow. In the past I have always smoked them, then wrapped them, then placed in a cooler. If I don't wrap it, woyld I still cook it about an hour per pound ? Also, what about a mopping sauce ? Any particular ingredients to use ?
Gonzo,
How'd they turn out?

For my second brisket ever, it turned out way better than the first one. I rubbed it with salt and pepper then put it on the smoker for twelve hours. This was a ten pound brisket. The first brisket I used all mesquite. For this one I did all oak with a few mesquite chips. For me, I prefer the mesquite smell over oak.

I got a great bark but for the second time in a row, it wasn't very moist in the middle. It was more of a well done brown color than red. Still good but I wanted moist.

I took it out of the smoker and wrapped it in tin foil, then a towel and let it sit for an hour.

Any recommendations on how to get it more moist? Did I over cook it perhaps?

The ribs turned out great again btw. I'm thinking it must be pretty hard to screw up a rack of ribs.

Originally posted by Gonzo26:
I am cooking 2 8lb briskets tomorrow. In the past I have always smoked them, then wrapped them, then placed in a cooler. If I don't wrap it, woyld I still cook it about an hour per pound ? Also, what about a mopping sauce ? Any particular ingredients to use ?
Gonzo,
How'd they turn out?

turned out wonderful!! First time not wrapping it in foil. smoked 2 8lb briskets right at 11 hrs. I am now a believer that you do not HAVE to wrap them in foil for them to be moist. The first few slices were a little dry, but after that, it was very tender, and had wonderful flavor.

b-1.jpg

d-1.jpg

c-1.jpg

Nice job Gonzo. Those look fantastic. You'll no doubt fine tune your procedure every time you smoke a brisket, but looks like you've got it down pretty good.

So when is the Orangeblood's BBQ at your place?
3dgrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT