ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket Instructions

Sark2Texas

OB Cabal Head of Science, CRT Enabler, and Wizard
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2013
Alright all you brisket gurus I could use some advice on my first brisket for the 4th of July. Sorry for another of these threads but I couldn't find any other than Such's brisket post. I was going to just use salt and pepper to season the brisket but was wondering if any of you have any other seasoning advice. A friend has a gas smoker (I believe) that you use wood chips(wet) to smoke the meat. As far as heat for a 10 lb piece of meat am I right to think 150 for 8 hours? Then wrap it in foil for 2 hours and crank up the heat to 200? Any help from the brisket masters would be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry for my ignorance

Go get Adkins western style barbeque seasoning. Put a ton of it the day before ( make sure it's not sitting in blood overnight, drain that off) You can find it just about anywhere. Smoke it at 225 for about 4 hours then another 4-5 wrapped or until done. Don't use time, go with internal temperature, touch or last resort...look. As far as the wrap I put dr pepper, bbq sauce, Lipton beefy onion powder, hidden valley ranch powder and easy garlic. Thank me later ;)
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

What should the internal temp be when I wrap it? 150? I

Just cook it at 225-250 until the internal temp hits 195 or so. Then pull it and let it rest for a couple of hours.

Originally posted by BurntO...sassin:
Just cook it at 225-250 until the internal temp hits 195 or so. Then pull it and let it rest for a couple of hours.
I used to shoot for 195 and seemed like I had to go to inferno temps in the pit to reach it at the end and it would often be dry. Started pulling mine off at 185 now and they're awesome.

Originally posted by rendavis25:
I used to shoot for 195 and seemed like I had to go to inferno temps in the pit to reach it at the end and it would often be dry. Started pulling mine off at 185 now and they're awesome.

Yeah, it isn't a science. A lot of "depends" in smoking a brisket.

LMAO @ zrile.

Originally posted by rendavis25
Your thermometer could be broken, too. Fork test works when thermometer fails.

LMAO @ zrile.
Laugh all you want boys and girls. I took a class some time ago taught by a guy that's won several bbq competitions (and his "students have won a few 1st and 2nd places across the state) and that's his recipe. I use it every time and everyone loves it but hey stick to your rub, I'm sure it's great.

Not sure getting the pit temp to 200 requires "cranking up" the heat. No reason at all to be smoking at 150 for 8 hours. You'll still have a helluva long way to go.

Look at brining it beforehand. Once I heard about that, I've never done it any other way since. I've never bothered trying to come up with my own rub. I load up on the Stubb's Beef rub with molasses and coffee in it. Sounds questionable, but it has, by far, been the best received of the briskets I've done. Love that stuff. I like to keep my briskets at about 10 lbs. No real science I guess, just seems to be where I get the best results. Try to keep your pit around 225 degrees and smoke it to an internal temp of 150-160. Wrap it in butcher paper and let if go until 195-205. At that point I let it rest for at least an hour inside the vertical chamber or wrapped in a towel inside a cooler.

Get you one of these to make your life MUCH easier

These are nice also

This is something worth using also

Originally posted by BurntOrangeBassAssassin:
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
You forgot to tell him about the Liquid Smoke.

Originally posted by zrile9:

LMAO @ zrile.
Laugh all you want boys and girls. I took a class some time ago taught by a guy that's won several bbq competitions (and his "students have won a few 1st and 2nd places across the state) and that's his recipe. I use it every time and everyone loves it but hey stick to your rub, I'm sure it's great.

Who taught the class?

In case some of you missed it, Ranch dressing showed up in this thread!

Hey man, I'd recommend you watch these two BBQ with Franklin vids. They are helpful. The variables are quality of meat, rub, your smoker, wood, constant temp, do you wrap in foil or use butcher paper, etc. It's an experiment and learning experience that you will tweak over time to get it how you like it. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU
http://youtu.be/sMIlyzRFUjU

Originally posted by sendero95:

In case some of you missed it, Ranch dressing showed up in this thread!
Ranch Dressing = what to put on your brisket if you've screwed up and need to hide the shittiness of your meat.

As far as smoking it for 8 hours, if you take a cold brisket and throw it in your smoker, it will only take smoke for a couple hours at the most. Beyond that, you aren't giving it anymore smoke flavor. It's really important to get the meat cold (obviously not frozen) to maximize the amount of smoke the brisket will take. Starting with room-temperature brisket will result in less smoke taken in by the brisket. So most of your cooking can happen in an oven, for all it matters, as long as the first couple of hours it was smoked.

Originally posted by AngryCorgi:
As far as smoking it for 8 hours, if you take a cold brisket and throw it in your smoker, it will only take smoke for a couple hours at the most. Beyond that, you aren't giving it anymore smoke flavor. It's really important to get the meat cold (obviously not frozen) to maximize the amount of smoke the brisket will take. Starting with room-temperature brisket will result in less smoke taken in by the brisket. So most of your cooking can happen in an oven, for all it matters, as long as the first couple of hours it was smoked.
How does a cold piece of meat abosb more smoke flavor than a warmer one?

Use the internal temperature as a guideline, not the rule. When it gets to at least 185, open up the smoker and check it out. A meat probe should be able to slide in and out effortlessly. Also, you should get some pretty good jiggle out of the brisket if you give it a light shake. You are looking for tenderness, and want to ensure that the fat in the brisket has melted. That won't happen until you hit at least 180-185.

As for wrapping in foil, you are effectively steaming the brisket at that point. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, but people call foil the "Texas Crutch" for a reason. When the brisket is done to your liking, do not pull it off and start slicing immediately. Plan accordingly to be able to let it rest for a few hours before serving. Wrap the brisket in foil, wrap again in a towel, and place in a dry cooler. It will keep warm for hours and you will allow the juices to redistribute in the brisket.

Originally posted by Craben:

Originally posted by AngryCorgi:
How does a cold piece of meat abosb more smoke flavor than a warmer one?
Wikipedia is your pal: The Science of Smoke!

rub-frozen-smoked-closeup.jpg

GlazedTilesTemperature.jpg

While the example of frozen meat versus cold meat shows frozen meat absorbs more because it stays colder in the smoker longer, I wouldn't freeze a brisket before smoking it. Freezing things tends to cause molecular changes due to ice crystal formation that also affects texture. So, As close to 32F without causing crystal formation. A freind of mine that makes amazingly smokey briskets says the smoke intake, he believes, has to do with how the grain of the meat swells up as it heats and disallows much of the extra smoke. Smoking more than a couple hours might add a tiny bit more smoke, but its not anything you'll notice. My friend's briskets are amazing purely due to the rich mesquite flavor. He adds a very modest dry rub to it, but the key to how good it is has to do with the 3/4" smoke ring that surrounds the beef.

This post was edited on 6/30 11:19 AM by AngryCorgi

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I will definitely post some pics of the before and after so that y'all can judge how I did.

Originally posted by m.blum1107:
Thanks for all of the advice guys! I will definitely post some pics of the before and after so that y'all can judge how I did.
Definitely let us know how the Hidden Valley brisket turns out!

Sprinkle the brisket on both sides with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Combine 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup of water in a mister.

Your smoker is ready when the temperature is between 275 and 300 degrees F.
Put the brisket in the smoker on the cool side of the grate and close the lid. Cook for 6 hours, adding wood as needed to keep the fire burning evenly. At this point, test the brisket with an instant-read thermometer; the internal temperature should be 165 degrees F.

Remove the brisket from the smoker, Spray it with some of the Worcestershire solution (there will be a lot left over), wrap it in butcher paper, and return it to the smoker. Let it cook in the paper for 2 hours longer.
Remove the warpped brisket from the smoker and place it in an empty cooler or a 200 degree F oven for 3 or 4 hours. The brisket is done when a toothpick passes effortlessly through the fat or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 185 degrees F (but preferably as high as 203 degrees F).

To ensure the brisket remains moist, do not trim away the fat cap before serving. Slice only as much brisket as needed and serve immediately.

Corgi with the answer to all the

BRING THE MEAT TO ROOM TEMP boneheads

You'll still get the guy who says you and science is wrong

and as for the ranch dressing, you forgot the liquid smoke and the italian dressing marinade before the ranch dressing rub...funny how the best BBQ in the US and Myron Mixon only use salt and pepper for a rub....so who taught this class??

Reactions: duqu
Originally posted by LONGHORNREALTOR:
Corgi with the answer to all the

BRING THE MEAT TO ROOM TEMP boneheads

You'll still get the guy who says you and science is wrong

and as for the ranch dressing, you forgot the liquid smoke and the italian dressing marinade before the ranch dressing rub...funny how the best BBQ in the US and Myron Mixon only use salt and pepper for a rub....so who taught this class??
I agree. Salt and Pepper (or maybe something a little spicier if you like) are pretty much all you need. You don't want to take away from the smoke flavor with overpowering flavors like ranch dressing mix or dr pepper or mr pibb or whatever bat-shit-crazy solution some guy on the interwebz came up with one night when he was drunk. The only logical reason to add the other things is that you can't make the mesquite smoke to take, which means you are doing something wrong at a very basic level.

Salt
Pepper
Time
constant heat
good cut of meat
leave it alone

The one trick IMO is that you can use all the fancy thermometers, etc to tell you when it is done, and they are all almost always wrong. They tell you the temperature, but they do not tell you when it is done. Back when I was learning I would smoke it to about 190 temp on my thermometer, and they were almost always not quite broken down, and tender. They were "cooked", but they were not "done". that is a trick that comes with experience. Otherwise its a very keep it simple stupid process. The rub is not going to make any difference honestly. It all carmerlizes and ends up all basically tasting the same. Use salt and pepper. It is cheap, and doesn't add any funky flavor when smoked like some rubs can. I would add if you are worried about tenderness, temp control, etc you might consider injecting the brisket with beef stock before cooking. it will keep it more moist.

Never tried it myself, but I've heard that if you want to try to REALLY soak the meat with smoke, you need to have some sort of brush or mop or something with cold water or such and every 15 minutes or so you need apply that cool liquid to the meat. This should, in theory, keep the meat on one side cooler and allow more smoke uptake. I can't speak from personal experience on whether this actually helps or not, though. Logic suggests it *should* though. Dunno how it will affect the topical seasoning of your meat. If you try it, you may want to apply the cooling liquid gently so as to not erode the spices.

This post was edited on 6/30 1:03 PM by AngryCorgi

Anyone ever tried Pecan wood? We smoke our elk sausage in that and it's DELICIOUS!

Last week I did my first brisket using a USDA select cut. They have USDA prime at HEB for twice the price. Doing another brisket this Friday for a bunch of people.

Has anyone ever tried a prime cut on a brisket? Is it noticeably different than the select?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT