ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket Instructions

Originally posted by Suchomel:
Last week I did my first brisket using a USDA select cut. They have USDA prime at HEB for twice the price. Doing another brisket this Friday for a bunch of people.

Has anyone ever tried a prime cut on a brisket? Is it noticeably different than the select?
Shape and consistent thickness across the cut being held equal, there is between select and prime but not much between prime and choice. I'd split the difference and go choice. JMO.

Originally posted by sendero95:
Last week I did my first brisket using a USDA select cut. They have USDA prime at HEB for twice the price. Doing another brisket this Friday for a bunch of people.

Has anyone ever tried a prime cut on a brisket? Is it noticeably different than the select?
Shape and consistent thickness across the cut being held equal, there is between select and prime but not much between prime and choice. I'd split the difference and go choice. JMO.
Any ideas on where I can find a choice? Only have select and prime at the HEB by me. They do have the HEB natural (I've always liked those steaks) but it's already trimmed so I'm staying away from that.

Might have to call around. I'm in Houston and usually get mine at Costco or Central Market. Honestly, if I find a prime I really like I buy it. The time and effort that goes into the process justifies it in my book. LHR and others should be able to stir you to Austin locations for Choice.

Jason, every one I've done has been pre-trimmed except for maybe 1 or 2. Haven't had a problem with it ever. I'm assuming it's from the brining, but I've done some up to 18 hours and still had juice standing in the butcher paper. Never had any problems drying out up to this point. If you see a good one you like already trimmed, I would get it and try it out. I actually prefer them pre-trimmed for the most part anymore.

Brining definitely makes a difference...
Personally don't cook a brisket or pork without Sweetwater Spice Brines
Just a insurance policy especially when Im using the trailer rig that is usually hotter than the smaller offsets.
But I simply can't do a trimmed brisket, fat=flavor, and there is no getting around that
Theres a small butcher shop in the backwater side of Liberty Hill that has some great briskets and steaks

I have cooked select and choice and can't tell the difference

Reactions: duqu
Originally posted by m.blum1107
Anyone ever tried Pecan wood? We smoke our elk sausage in that and it's DELICIOUS!

I use pecan on brisket almost every time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

What is the purpose of the towel? If you wrap in foil and/or paper and put it in a dry cooler, why the towel!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by BurntOrangeBassAssassin:
Originally posted by kmclain3:
Originally posted by m.blum1107
Anyone ever tried Pecan wood? We smoke our elk sausage in that and it's DELICIOUS!

I use pecan on brisket almost every time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I only use pecan. All other woods are for poors.
Pecan is good, but its much milder than Mesquite. I like to really taste the smoke!

LHR, what do you consider a good fat cap? The trimmed ones I usually get from HEB have roughly 1/4" fat remaining, and have always turned out great. I've never tried a full on packer style. That just seems too much to me. Curious what you trim it down to. I may try a couple that way to see how they turn out.

And yes, pecan wood is great. I also use hickory and oak pretty regularly...

Any ideas on where I can find a choice? Only have select and prime at the HEB by me. They do have the HEB natural (I've always liked those steaks) but it's already trimmed so I'm staying away from that.
Check out a market on the East Side called Salt & Thyme. They have choice and even Waygu brisket

Originally posted by uthenley:
LHR, what do you consider a good fat cap? The trimmed ones I usually get from HEB have roughly 1/4" fat remaining, and have always turned out great. I've never tried a full on packer style. That just seems too much to me. Curious what you trim it down to. I may try a couple that way to see how they turn out.

And yes, pecan wood is great. I also use hickory and oak pretty regularly...
Henley
Don't trim ANY fat...if you look at the competition tam BBQ...most are trimming the entire point cap...as it adds to the juicy fat needed to give it more moisture.

I don't trim ANYTHING

Say I am cooking at an elevation of 7,000 feet (Colorado). How does this change things? Also I am using a masterbuilt electric smoker.

I use both oak and pecan in the big bags from Academy.

Originally posted by Striker25:
Say I am cooking at an elevation of 7,000 feet (Colorado). How does this change things? Also I am using a masterbuilt electric smoker.
The air at 7000 ft is not going to change the time/style/seasoning of any of the meats you are cooking
Especially when cooking with a electric, it is a constant heat source, but I would cook everything at as high as it can go...for a MB thats 275 degrees.

I find the smoke is best the hotter it gets and use a Camerons Wood Product
th

1, Buy an iPad
2. Set up your wireless
3. Hit the chrome ap
4. Type in the following exactly as i say "www.youtube.com"
5. Locate the magnifying glass... be very patient with this step. It is small. hitting the wrong icon wil set you back a bit.
6. Press on the magnifying glass
7. Type in the following exactly as i say "aaron franklin brisket"
8. The first result is the one you will want to watch first....
9 Keep your iPad near your brisket and meat as you prep......
10. Turn volume up loud so that both you AND your brisket can listen together. Two sets of ears are better than one.
11. When complete, please return to OB and PM me for amy address so that I can have some

Reactions: sean1187
You'll probably need several of these.
wink.r191677.gif

GFE-cord%20reel.jpg

This post was edited on 6/30 7:12 PM by joeywa

I have never had brisket cooked by anything other than mesquite coals, so I can't tell you about anything else. I've always just done what the old timers do in my neck of the woods. Rub whatever you want on it. I keep a pot on the pit with a baste made mostly of Zesty Italian dressing. There are other ways, but it's simpler and just fine. Mop it on every once in awhile. You're man enough to know when. If that pot (kept in a corner on the pit) boils, you're too hot. You'll know when it's done.

Now, the most common sense methods to ensure success:

1. Play 42 all day with old German, Alsace, Czech or Polish guys depending on your region. They'll come out for free if you lack any such relatives.

2. Don't ever, and I mean EVER bid to try and "hit" your partner. They'll splash or plunge if they have the damn dominoes.

3. Drink beer all day. 20 or so should do. It needs to be Lone Star, Schaefer, Old Milwaukee, or Pearl.

4. This is the only way I ever in my life saw it done. I never paid for better brisket than I've watched, made or helped make out behind the American Legion in Fredericksburg.

Originally posted by LONGHORNREALTOR:

The air at 7000 ft is not going to change the time/style/seasoning of any of the meats you are cooking
Especially when cooking with a electric, it is a constant heat source, but I would cook everything at as high as it can go...for a MB thats 275 degrees.

ec
1 1/2 hours per pound or internal temp 190?

Originally posted by LONGHORNREALTOR:

ec
1 1/2 hours per pound or internal temp 190?
IMO, the time of the cook is much more variable than the internal temp. I've yet to take 1.5 hrs/lb on a brisket and frankly have no real desire to spend 15 hours on 10lber.

This post was edited on 6/30 8:12 PM by RLong68

It was mentioned earlier, but I think it needs to be reposted:

TIME and INTERNAL TEMPERATURE are merely a guide.

EVERY brisket is different; some will be ready at 180 and 1 hr/#, some at 200 at 2 hrs/#, some in between.

They're all different.

FORK test is the best judge until you know enough on how a brisket that's ready looks and feels.

Originally posted by darickc:
As an amature, after reading this thread, I could not be more confused.

No shit. I want to give one a try sometime though
It ain't hard. Seriously...my buddies and I learned through trial, error, alcohol and other tools and won numerous awards competing. Learn your pit, use good meat, learn the shortcuts and take your time...boom!

Originally posted by darickc:
As an amature, after reading this thread, I could not be more confused.

No shit. I want to give one a try sometime though
It ain't hard. Seriously...my buddies and I learned through trial, error, alcohol and other tools and won numerous awards competing. Learn your pit, use good meat, learn the shortcuts and take your time...boom!
THIS....made beef jerky more times than I would like to admit....you ruin your 12th brisket at 40 bucks and the wife says either get your shit together or quit, or open a beef jerky stand

I've watched those Franklin clips from youtube before and even had them bookmarked on my computer. Need to do more reading up on it and give it a shot. These threads certainly help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT