ADVERTISEMENT

BYU.....very very big game for Mack

Originally posted by jttexas05:
Originally posted by viejid:
All games are important, but no game by itself is critical.
I disagree. If Mack loses to an underdog, that's probably the season and maybe his job.

Are we to assume a loss in Provo wouldn't be viewed as critical all the way around?
If BYU was the only, or 1 of 2 losses by Texas, and Texas went on to win the Big 12 it would not be "critical". They aren't going to stop the season or fire him on the spot if that were to happen.

That being said, it's not happening...Texas wins by 14+.

Originally posted by MR. COSELL:
TBYU and Ole Miss have a 5% chance of beating Texas. I'm not sure why the entire offseason posters have been worried about this game. It's a nice warmup game, but nothing more.
No concern about their D slowing us down and our D struggling against a bruising rb and a mobile qb? I think we win by two TDs, but I'm not sure anything is guaranteed anymore. I give BYU more like a 20% change of beating Texas.

Originally posted by 1JTB6806:

I disagree. If Mack loses to an underdog, that's probably the season and maybe his job.

Are we to assume a loss in Provo wouldn't be viewed as critical all the way around?
If BYU was the only, or 1 of 2 losses by Texas, and Texas went on to win the Big 12 it would not be "critical". They aren't going to stop the season or fire him on the spot if that were to happen.

That being said, it's not happening...Texas wins by 14+.
No, Mack will never be fired on the spot. That's not how Texas operates. However, you're making the assumption that the BMDs would sit around and wait to see how the season plays out knowing how high expectations are. If Mack is losing to BYU or Ole Miss or another underdog early, it's pretty clear the time is now to make a move.

TBYU and Ole Miss have a 5% chance of beating Texas. I'm not sure why the entire offseason posters have been worried about this game. It's a nice warmup game, but nothing more.
If Texas starts the games against BYU or Ole Miss like they did against NMSU then they can easily be down by 3+ scores going into half..

If Texas starts slow against a few Big 12 teams then they will get blown out.

Let's hope Texas starts fast.. Texas is going on their 3rd OC and they are still starting games slow (the problem this past week were mainly due to turnover but they did try to run it too much again early).

A lot of people keep saying that the OU game is a game we NEED to win, but the reality is that Mack loses to OU but wins every other game en route to a BCS bowl game, this season will meet or exceed expectations.

I think there are very few people who think we are a title caliber team this year. We could be one, but I don't think we are Alabama, where it's almost assumed that we should have a shot at a title.

This Texas team has enough slack to lose 1, maybe 2 games and have no one get fired. No matter what game.

I think we will be favored in every game we play this season, but I don't think we're good enough to not slip up at least once.
Alabama didn't look great the other day at all.. A&M didn't... Georgia didn't... Clemson's D didn't.. South Carolina didn't... Florida didn't.. Neither OSU did... Not many did..

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
I think it's a big game for Texas, but every game this season is big for the Horns. I don't think it's a big game for Mack. He's getting his paycheck no matter what. The 5-6 boosters holding the football program hostage still have several more goalpost moves in their pockets before we reach games that are "big for Mack" in terms of regular season record.

Lose to BYU somehow? Now it's really about Ole Miss. Beat BYU and lose to Ole Miss? Now it's really about beating OU. Lose to some combination of those three (even if one is OU), it's really about winning ten games. Only win 8 games, it's really about winning a bowl game. So, while I hope I'm wrong, I don't see any situation that's big for Mack in terms of finally being held accountable unless Texas somehow goes 7-6 / 8-5 and loses a bowl game, which I really don't think is realistic barring a serious rash of injuries at QB or something. Maybe it happens, but I hope not.
I think this is very true. +1!!!

Originally posted by longhorn4444:
Originally posted by bcroberts:
I see where you are coming from but it's sad that a game against BYU is a very, very big game.

Let's be honest, if BYU is a very, very big game, then every game is a very, very big game.

Every game IS a very, very big game.
From the fans perspective, maybe. But not team can bet up for every game like it's a very, very big game. Just not possible emotionally. This is where coaching is so important. You can't get every team up like you do for games against Top 10 teams.

So, I respectfully disagree.

Good point. I agree. Texas needs to be undefeated going into the RRR. Mack should approach each game as if his job was on the line.

Every game is a big game. Longhorns need to win out to prove all the naysayers wrong.

a loss to BYU would be an indictment of coaching, S&C, hiring, and players dedication.....PERIOD

"Texas opened at around -3.5 over BYU."
------------

from what people were saying that was never avail to the public and if it was it quickly shot up. I dont bet on games but I think it was already -10 the other day. That would have basically being free money. Even Sportswriters like Mike Finger who covers UT a ton here in SA and is often critical of Mack was laughing at the line as has UT winning by 3 touchdowns
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Big Season. If we flop or regress, there will be a fan mutiny of unprecidented magnitude. I know. I can see the future.

Fr those who believe this is a no-brainier win for Texas. This is based on what exactly? We know that running the ball will be very, very difficult based on what we saw on Saturday. Thus, it is likely we'll be on-dimensional against BYU. So, will Ash be able to carry the team and not turn the ball over? If yes, we probably win, if no, we probably lose. BYU will likely be able to stuff our run with their front. So Ash will be throwing against a full compliment of DBs and LBs patrolling the check downs and screens. Based on this, you guys still supremely sure that this game is not only a win but a cakewalk.

Not me, I'm very nervous about this game.

Originally posted by tex-n-chgo:
Beyond the agony of seeing losses to an Ole Miss, OU and Baylor or TCU.....MBTF loses any of that combination and he's toast...period.

DD ain't saving that ship fellas....take that to the bank and if he tried, he'd be shot just as quickly as MB.
You seriously think Mack, or Mack + DeLoss, will automatically be fired if he loses any one of the 2013 Ole Miss, OU, Baylor or TCU games?

I understand there is a lot of scrutiny and pressure right now, and each game is a big game, but that statement is crazy talk.

Instead of big game, as they are all big games, it's sort of a gauge early on to see what we really got. NewMexState is really, really bad and although we saw some good signs in our skill people and Major's design of sorts, we need this game to she'd some light on those other games. I feel am it like a kid at Christmas. I shook the package and it sounds good but I won't know for sure until its opened. Saturday is kinda that to me. And yes I know I said shook the package.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:

A lot of people keep saying that the OU game is a game we NEED to win, but the reality is that Mack loses to OU but wins every other game en route to a BCS bowl game, this season will meet or exceed expectations.

I think there are very few people who think we are a title caliber team this year. We could be one, but I don't think we are Alabama, where it's almost assumed that we should have a shot at a title.

This Texas team has enough slack to lose 1, maybe 2 games and have no one get fired. No matter what game.

I think we will be favored in every game we play this season, but I don't think we're good enough to not slip up at least once.
Alabama didn't look great the other day at all.. A&M didn't... Georgia didn't... Clemson's D didn't.. South Carolina didn't... Florida didn't.. Neither OSU did... Not many did..
Fair enough. But if you had to bet the house on a team to win it all, how far down that list is Texas? That is, if you have to bet your own life that team X wins the national title, how far down the list are we? Personally, there's at least 5 teams I'd feel much more comfortable betting on, and that number is probably closer to 10

The next two weeks are crucial, win them both, then get on a roll against KSU and Iowa St before ouSux.

Get on the roll and we will likely be ranked top 10 and have lots of confidence and momentum going into the RRR.

Important stuff coming up.
This post was edited on 9/4 9:13 AM by DrHorn

Lol, MEH.... Mack queefs in your general directions.

Mack needs to beat OU and win conference, other wise this season is a failure and he needs to get out.

Originaloffested by tjklonghorn:
TBYU and Ole Miss have a 5% chance of beating Texas. I'm nOregon's mini-mewhy the entire offseason posters have been worried about this game. It's a nice warmup game, but nothing more.
No concern about their D slowing us down and our D struggling against a bruising rb and a mobile qb? I think we win by two TDs, but I'm not sure anything is guaranteed anymore. I give BYU more like a 20% change of beating Texas.
Too much offensive speed. Get used to it. These below average teams will be beatdowns moving forward (at least on offense). We are Oregon's mini-me.

If Mack Brown has BCS hopes, he's not making the BCS losing to freaking BYU.

It's a very relevant post.
Your logic is pretty flawed. There are 3 games on the 2013 schedule we should likely win, but could very easily lose (not including the 4 other obviously losable games against ranked teams 16 OU, @ 24 TCU, 13 OSU, and @ 23 Baylor). One of those 3 games in the first category is this Saturday. The 2nd is Ole Miss.

Even if we have a great football team this year, we are more than likely going to lose a game sometime. If there are ANY games on this schedule we can lose and still have hopes to make the BCS, it's BYU and Ole Miss, since we still have a BCS conference schedule ahead. Sure, our fans will completely bail on the team, but come on: you can say that about ANY game on the schedule.

In college football, every losable game is huge. Y'all have lost perspective to act like this game is any bigger than at least 6 more we have left after Saturday.

This post was edited on 9/3 11:45 PM by tummer

5% is way too low

Origidon't ?posted by Fuddy:

5% is way too low
Wish we had archives.. same ppl told me all offseason the Big 12 wouldn't be that down and BYU and Ole Miss were DANGEROUS. Then the first week of the season proved to be exactly what I knew it to be. Some of y'all worry way too much imo. BYU is not beating Texas. We will win by at least 2 TDs and probably much more. They don't have the speed to beat this Texas team. Ash is going to torch em.

This post was edited on 9/3 11:58 PM by MR. COSELL

Originally posted by tummer:

If Mack Brown has BCS hopes, he's not making the BCS losing to freaking BYU.

It's a very relevant post.
Your logic is pretty flawed. There are 3 games on the 2013 schedule we should likely win, but could very easily lose (not including the 4 other obviously losable games against ranked teams 16 OU, @ 24 TCU, 13 OSU, and @ 23 Baylor). One of those 3 games in the first category is this Saturday. The 2nd is Ole Miss.

Even if we have a great football team this year, we are more than likely going to lose a game sometime. If there are ANY games on this schedule we can lose and still have hopes to make the BCS, it's BYU and Ole Miss, since we still have a BCS conference schedule ahead. Sure, our fans will completely bail on the team, but come on: you can say that about ANY game on the schedule.

In college football, every losable game is huge. Y'all have lost perspective to act like this game is any bigger than at least 6 more we have left after Saturday.

This post was edited on 9/3 11:45 PM by tummer
You know WVA almost lost to William and Mary and KSU lost to NDSU? Times up Mack,. You need to run the table this year because everyone sucks.

Originally posted by Horndriver:

Originally posted by skylakehorn:

Yeh, unfortunately everything is about Mack. Mack undoubtedly agrees with that. Isn't it amazing that it's hard to have confidence against a team that just lost to freaking Virginia when you are The University of Texas. speaks for itself.....

Mack looked stunned at halftime Saturday night.

This post was edited on 9/3 3:47 PM by skylakehorn
I wouldn't put a lot into that loss to Virginia. It was in a pouring rainstorm and neither team could throw the ball. I'm not sure how good BYU is yet. They will be better than we think...
Mack should quit if he loses to a team that lost to Virginia. Didn't both teams play in the rain?

The BYU game is not a very very big game for Mack. It still comes down to OU. If Texas loses that game this year.......

This post was edited on 9/4 2:29 AM by El Mahico

ADVERTISEMENT