ADVERTISEMENT

Connie Clark

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
[bumping from last year]

She sucks.

What does she have to do to finally get canned? Did the 2013 WCWS team buy her another seven years before she needs to worry about making the WCWS again? Does she only need to make it out of the first weekend twice in the next nine years, just as with the last nine seasons since Cat Osterman left the Forty Acres?

I know hardly anyone gives a damn about softball, and that's perfectly fine, but it should at least irritate you that our athletics department continues to retain and pay proven dead weight like Clark.

Last edited:
BBR, I give a damn. I want every Longhorn athletic team to compete as a championship level. Not sure the injury to Tiarra Davis is enough of an excuse for this year's performance. I'm certainly no expert, but the Coach can only do so much; the players have to produce. Much like the baseball team, the softball team is pretty young--only 2 seniors. They do have some young talent, but the question is, is Connie recruiting enough talent to win the big one? IDK.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Man, no joke.

You've gotta take her & our "i'm bottom line" Plonski hand in hand. Our womens sports will suffer until (WAD) Plonski decides to waddle on down the road, and Clark isn't going anywhere until that day.

Look at what womens sports has accomplished under 15yrs of Plonski...what a shame. We should be be national contenders each year vs. languishing in seemingly mediocrity year after year after year in the big 3 or 4 womens sports.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
BBR, I give a damn. I want every Longhorn athletic team to compete as a championship level. Not sure the injury to Tiarra Davis is enough of an excuse for this year's performance. I'm certainly no expert, but the Coach can only do so much; the players have to produce. Much like the baseball team, the softball team is pretty young--only 2 seniors. They do have some young talent, but the question is, is Connie recruiting enough talent to win the big one? IDK.

Yeah, I'm no fan of Connie Clark but not sure you can fire her based on this year. 1) Our best pitcher was injured for the most of the year. 2) This team is incredibly young, we really don't lose much at all. This team will probably be in the WCWS next year. The team achieved about what I expected this year, if not overachieved once Davis was injured.

She has a deal with Red Mccombs and his grand daughter playing there years ago. She is not going anywhere as terrible and overpaid she is.

Glad you care, CAHorn. :)

My post is not based on this year so much as her entire tenure -- and especially the post-Cat era. My irritation just bubbles up enough from time to time to motivate me to post about her and about other other aspects of Plonsky's pathetic performance as the women's AD.

I can get with putting the onus on the players in the short term, but the fact that the team has failed to advance beyond the first weekend of the Tournament in seven out of the last nine seasons -- only once advancing to the WCWS -- is all on Clark. It just blows me away that someone can suck that bad and still have job security around here.

Man, no joke.

You've gotta take her & our "i'm bottom line" Plonski hand in hand. Our womens sports will suffer until (WAD) Plonski decides to waddle on down the road, and Clark isn't going anywhere until that day.

Look at what womens sports has accomplished under 15yrs of Plonski...what a shame. We should be be national contenders each year vs. languishing in seemingly mediocrity year after year after year in the big 3 or 4 womens sports.

I had hoped that hiring Patterson signaled the imminent merger of the men's and women's ADs. So much for that.

Reactions: VaHorns
Yeah, I'm no fan of Connie Clark but not sure you can fire her based on this year. 1) Our best pitcher was injured for the most of the year. 2) This team is incredibly young, we really don't lose much at all. This team will probably be in the WCWS next year. The team achieved about what I expected this year, if not overachieved once Davis was injured.

Like I said above, it's not really just about this year or any one year. She has utterly failed to parlay success (if underachievement) with Cat into any kind of growth for the program. Just look at her record from 2007 to now. If you're looking for any achievements of significance, that nine-year record is very close to being a barren wasteland.

Not winning with Cat should have cost her the head coaching position. I could have went out there and won at least two titles with her.

My feeling too, although rationally I understand that you can't get away with firing someone who goes to three WCWSs in four seasons. But to have the greatest pitcher of all time on your team for four years and not be able bring home a single title...or even make a single championship series...or even win a single semifinal game. Just pathetic.

I had hoped that hiring Patterson signaled the imminent merger of the men's and women's ADs. So much for that.

Ok, re women's AD, Plonski -- my understanding is she can only be dismissed of duties/fired by the President.?.? If that is in fact the case, then Powers may do something about Plonski...she hasn't been a favjorite of anybody's for a long time.

Don't know...if Powers made this move - he, the school and Bevo would all be sued by Plonski on racial discrimination grounds or some other bogus charge.

After sifting thru this, it does appear the only way to get new blood in Longhorn womens athletics is to combine the two AD's. (phase her position out)

Just some observations, now that the season has concluded:

At the end of the 2006 season, Texas had made four trips to the WCWS in its history. Florida had made zero. In the last nine years, Texas has made just one more WCWS appearance. During that same period, while we've been content with Connie Clark's crap performance, Florida has made it to the WCWS seven times, taking home two national championships. Tennessee also went from having no WCWS trips before the 2005 season to having seven WCWS appearances as of the end of this season.

Reactions: LonghornMM
With today's 9-1 and 9-3 losses, inept Connie Clark's team is bounced from the postseason in the first weekend for the eighth time in 10 years.

What the f*ck does she have to do for sorry-ass Plonsky to can her?

So we have a homerun derby against aggy first game, lose to layfette then lose to aggy....I hate seeing our girls softball not reach the wcws while ou goes almost every year and that one poster talking about Florida and Tennessee becoming power houses of recent and we still lack damn titles! Cat was amazing and we won none with her! Davis pitched well against aggy first game but these girls arms are only good for 2 straight games. I agree we should be playing in the wcws every year and be getting stupid talent. Layfette can....and aggy has better talent really? And am I the only one who saw bomb post on here?

So we have a homerun derby against aggy first game, lose to layfette then lose to aggy....I hate seeing our girls softball not reach the wcws while ou goes almost every year and that one poster talking about Florida and Tennessee becoming power houses of recent and we still lack damn titles! Cat was amazing and we won none with her! Davis pitched well against aggy first game but these girls arms are only good for 2 straight games. I agree we should be playing in the wcws every year and be getting stupid talent. Layfette can....and aggy has better talent really? And am I the only one who saw bomb post on here?
Check the post date, Bombs last post on this topic was almost 1yr ago.

Reactions: diadevic
When Connie Clark goes...have less than zero confidence in Polonski making any constructive moves upgrading.

How in the hell Polonski is still trolling the 40acres escapes me.

I honestly don't know the timeline on her hires and such, or how much of a role she has in things, but to be fair...

Outside of Softball, the only Texas women's team that seems to be underachieving these days is soccer, right? Ok, I just checked and I guess women's golf isn't ranked either. But everyone else is good and the basketball, volleyball, and T&F teams all apparently ended with top 5 finishes. I'm not sure I understand how the rowing rankings work, but they seem pretty highly ranked as well (with 2nd in the region right now)? Swimming & Diving was a top 15 team.

Not saying that it should be acceptable for Softball or Soccer to underachieve... but, on the whole the success rate right now seems to be at least equal on the women's side as it is on the men's side if not better (with the bigger men's sports all at various points in the firing/new hire phases).

She's f***ing terrible. For some reason, though, it just doesn't matter.
Did you read the comments below
Did you read the comments below the article? Pretty brutal. 20 years-Zero titles. Also, it was interesting that she doesn't go after committed players, yet, she doesn't go after recruits early like all of the other schools. Does that mean we are getting leftovers?

Did you read the comments below

Did you read the comments below the article? Pretty brutal. 20 years-Zero titles. Also, it was interesting that she doesn't go after committed players, yet, she doesn't go after recruits early like all of the other schools. Does that mean we are getting leftovers?

She's lazy and worthless in every way.

Yes, we recruit way under our potential. She's an incredibly lazy, timid recruiter, but players also don't improve while they're here, so it's understandable that so much top talent would want to go elsewhere.

Note that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for OU. Until last night, they had won 31 straight games. Auburn, the other team in the WCWS championship series, had never done sh*t before last year. But they hired two-time national champion coach Clint Myers from Arizona State, who is now in his third season, and have made their first and second WCWS trips ever in the last two years. Oh, and Myers is doing it with three or four walk-ons.

Other programs are upgrading, but Plonsky is content to keep our pathetic, lazy joke of a head coach, who has managed just three super-regionals, two WCWS trips, and one conference championship in the 16 seasons in which she hasn't had arguably the best college softball pitcher of all time on her roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
They must be content with her total wins all time I guess....didn't know that about Auburn either. They are one game away from winning it all.

They must be content with her total wins all time I guess....didn't know that about Auburn either. They are one game away from winning it all.

Her win total is nothing impressive for how long she's been here, especially in light of the fact that she schedules an OOC slate reminiscent of Baylor football's every year. The Big 12 is average to weak on top of that.

Plonsky just refuses to do her job.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT