ADVERTISEMENT

Do you WANT the B12 to hold together?

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

Last edited:
I want what is best for Texas, if leaving the Big 12 is what is best, then that is what I want. The future will work itself out, for now Texas is in the Big 12, and I want them to be successful this year.

Bit of a complicated question. I wanted the Big 12 to be more aggressive during expansion so that it would make sense for them to stick together. And I still think one of the best (though maybe not super likely) scenarios involves all or most of the Big 12 members matching up with some of the best ACC members at some point down the road. And I definitely think that, for the time being, the best thing to do is to let this play out and see how it goes. But do I think it makes sense to stay in the conference long term (i.e., beyond any shakeups or being the next TV negotiation period)? Not so much. In my opinion, to keep the conference as the most ideal place for my Longhorns, there will have to be expansion at some point. I actually DO like most of the conference teams and really don't like the idea of some of the smaller ones getting crapped on in a bad realignment situation... and honestly, I'd have loved to see the original 12 team conference expand rather than fray, but I think that the 10 team conference is a holding pattern. A decent situation for a holding pattern, but not something that will last overall.

So yes, and no.

The problem is that we have 2 different situations. one for football....and another for basketball. Kansas is a problem. In football they are an albatross on the big 12, but in basketball they are a true blueblood, and the only one in the conference.

Any realignment will have to be with that in mind.The BIG would love to have them for that reason..ie...Indiana.
We can all piss and moan about the missed opportunities to set the Big 12 several years ago when FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech were there for the taking, but it didnt happen. The old Chinese Curse....May you live in interesting times..... is fully upon us.

I don't think the Big 12 will be around too much longer. The one's who have the most to worry about being potentially left out in the cold are Iowa State and Kansas State. Something's got to give either by some solid additions to the conference, or the big fish leaving and going to another conference.

Reactions: whatawin
This whole super conference thing is based on a cable tv model that is going to die in the next 10 years. Several things could accelerate this. Google fiber expanding to major media markets, reallocation of the TV broadcast spectrum to allow for cost effective wireless broad band and allowing power companies who have installed fiber optic networks for smart meters to provide internet services. As those options increase you will see a much greater number of cord cutters which will drive cable TV to more of an a la carte subscription model.

When that happens lower tier games that don't draw lots of eyeballs will be much less valuable and I think you will see schools start to self produce and self distribute those types of games which makes match ups more important than conference affiliations.

The other thing that will take a hit is the non revenue sports. Right now the huge TV contracts are paying for these other sports and the expansion of conferences had let to more expensive travel. Instead of taking buses teams are having to fly. If the TV money dries up that model will not work. In the end I think you will see a football playoff with 8 teams and 6 conferences with 10-12 teams each. Each conference will play 8 conference games and 4 non conference games and the key will be match ups that will draw national attention in order to dive up the value of the inventory.

I think Bowlsy's comments today reflect the fact that there aren't any viable options to add two non-power 5 conference teams. There are no options to add two power 5 conference teams either.

After Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and aggy left the conference I was all about expansion (ND, FL St, GTech, Clemson, Miami, etc) but the BIG12 sat on their hands while the world of expansion passed them by. I see no true expansion options and a conference that just isn't up to par with the other Power 5 conferences. There are no other solutions besides leaving the BIG12.

OU will be the first one to break glass and start to exit the BIG12. The number one thing that Texas needs to do is to join OU in the next conference. Also, Texas has to head East to the SEC or ACC for the recruiting. Texas can't head west because recruits in Texas and the southeast don't pay attention to the PAC12. Heading west will make the program irrelevant with the SEC in Texas' backyard.

After Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and aggy left the conference I was all about expansion (ND, FL St, GTech, Clemson, Miami, etc) but the BIG12 sat on their hands while the world of expansion passed them by.

That's not actually true. The Big 12 didn't sit around and do nothing. They weren't able to make a play for any of those teams because of the TV contract. Boren and Bowlsby both mentioned this in those comments a few weeks ago. The Big 12 TV contract has a cap on it, whereby the contract only increases enough to keep the payouts the same when new teams are added. (In other words, if the TV contract pays out $20 million per team now, it would still payout $20 million per team after expansion.) The problem with that is, schools already in a P5 league would end up making about the same as they do now, so they would have no real incentive to join.

That's not actually true. The Big 12 didn't sit around and do nothing. They weren't able to make a play for any of those teams because of the TV contract. Boren and Bowlsby both mentioned this in those comments a few weeks ago. The Big 12 TV contract has a cap on it, whereby the contract only increases enough to keep the payouts the same when new teams are added. (In other words, if the TV contract pays out $20 million per team now, it would still payout $20 million per team after expansion.) The problem with that is, schools already in a P5 league would end up making about the same as they do now, so they would have no real incentive to join.
They would have been able to renegotiate those deals (just like SEC did with Aggy and mizzou) if they had added a ND or Fl St level team. Even if you are right, the BIG12 screwed up by taking a deal like that. The point is the BIG12 missed their chances to expand.

Deloss was following his own dream of having ND in the BIG12 and ND played him and then went to the ACC as a partial member.

I don't think the Big 12 will be around too much longer. The one's who have the most to worry about being potentially left out in the cold are Iowa State and Kansas State. Something's got to give either by some solid additions to the conference, or the big fish leaving and going to another conference.
You think Baylor, TCU, Tech, WVU, and OK State would be ok? Where do you think they would land? I would think many of them would be in trouble.

Keep hope alive, aggy.
Not sure what you mean. If Texas and Oklahoma decide to move on they will, politics will be worked out. I just don't see folks lining up for Baylor, Tech, TCU etc.. The only way I see them finding a home is riding Texas's coattails. Why would Texas waste any leverage to help those guys? Maybe they would, I don't know.

Not sure what you mean.
It means TCU and Baylor are better than you on the football field as well as beating you currently in recruiting so it's for these reasons you're probably hoping for them to become irrelevant. Pretty straightforward.

It means TCU and Baylor are better than you on the football field as well as beating you currently in recruiting so it's for these reasons you're probably hoping for them to become irrelevant. Pretty straightforward.
You are pretty close to right. I'd prefer the Big12 stay around. But if it dies I don't want Baylor to land on their feet (not a fan of Baylor). I have no hope of you guys not being ok in the end. You will be fine either way.
I just wondered if someone who might know more than me thought Baylor, Tech and TCU could survive as major programs. I don't see how they could get invitations on their own. I was really wondering if Texas would throw them a lifeline. I didn't think so, as adding teams you don't want would devalue adding Texas to a new conference. But again, I don't pretend to know how this will play out.

Despite the "parity is great" sentiment, the Big 12 looks weak with Texas and OU down. The perception of the conference is down because our two current best programs have no national following. If/when Texas and OU right the ship, there will be no reason not to want the big 12 to stay together.

Reactions: diadevic
At this point, I do not even care if the Big 12 implodes. Let it happen if that's what it takes. If it stays together, okay, lets make something happen. OU and tx need to start carrying their weight again and it'll rival all the other conferences but this is what you get when you have Baylor and Tcu as the current flagship elite of the conference.

I just wondered if someone who might know more than me thought Baylor, Tech and TCU could survive as major programs. I don't see how they could get invitations on their own.
What I don't get is why you aggys still think you can act superior to either Baylor or TCU. TCU is better in football as well as baseball than you despite you derisively calling them "purple Baylor" or whatever gay name you people have come up with. They're better than you in the major sports and they're in a big market. I think they're attractive as a program. It's obvious your bias won't allow you to.

You are pretty close to right. I'd prefer the Big12 stay around. But if it dies I don't want Baylor to land on their feet (not a fan of Baylor). I have no hope of you guys not being ok in the end. You will be fine either way.
I just wondered if someone who might know more than me thought Baylor, Tech and TCU could survive as major programs. I don't see how they could get invitations on their own. I was really wondering if Texas would throw them a lifeline. I didn't think so, as adding teams you don't want would devalue adding Texas to a new conference. But again, I don't pretend to know how this will play out.
I can understand Aggies hatred of Baylor. Worse in football. Worse in basketball (I'm still hung up on ZERO offensive rebounds last winter). Worse stadium. Downwind on the Brazos. When Baylor wins the national title this year (17 starters returning), they'll be looked at as the new "U" and will have plenty of suitors. Look at how the 2017 class (that's right, 2017) is shaping up. Reloading.

What I don't get is why you aggys still think you can act superior to either Baylor or TCU. TCU is better in football as well as baseball than you despite you derisively calling them "purple Baylor" or whatever gay name you people have come up with. They're better than you in the major sports and they're in a big market. I think they're attractive as a program. It's obvious your bias won't allow you to.
They are also better than you guys right now. But I don't believe anyone thinks they are more attractive to another conference than you guys (or us). I think they have good football teams today, but little appeal to a confernce. I guess we just disagree on what conferences are looking to add. Maybe you are right, but I think it is all about $. I saw countless posts about how great it would be to add Notre Dame to the Big12. I don't think it is because they are the best team in the world, it is all about the money and name recognition they bring. If it was all about the current team on the field no one would be begging Notre Dame to join their conference. The Big12 would be more worried about Baylor and TCU leaving than Oklahoma. I don't think anyone is worried about them leaving, unless they have no choice.

I can understand Aggies hatred of Baylor. Worse in football. Worse in basketball (I'm still hung up on ZERO offensive rebounds last winter). Worse stadium. Downwind on the Brazos. When Baylor wins the national title this year (17 starters returning), they'll be looked at as the new "U" and will have plenty of suitors. Look at how the 2017 class (that's right, 2017) is shaping up. Reloading.
I hate them because they wanted to sue us when we left the conference. They feared realignment and what it meant for them. Pretty obvious they know where they would land. If all this Big12 implosion talk continues, that 2017 class will also implode. Don't hate TCU and they are better than anyone in the state.

They would have been able to renegotiate those deals (just like SEC did with Aggy and mizzou) if they had added a ND or Fl St level team. Even if you are right, the BIG12 screwed up by taking a deal like that. The point is the BIG12 missed their chances to expand.

Deloss was following his own dream of having ND in the BIG12 and ND played him and then went to the ACC as a partial member.

No, they wouldn't have been able to renegotiate the deal. There is a specific clause put into the contract that precludes negotiation. It was reported at the time the contract was signed, and Boren and Bowlsby have both confirmed this.

Here is an article published at the time, in 2012:
The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

These are Boren's comments:
"The contract says that our main television contract ... if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally," Boren said. "So everybody's share stays the same. If it's 'X' dollars, it stays 'X' dollars."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...g-12-now-is-the-time-to-invest-in-your-sports

The Big 12 wasn't stupid to take the deal. They didn't have a choice. ESPN and Fox agreed not to reduce the contract after Nebraska and Colorado left. The catch is, ESPN and Fox won't pay extra money if the Big 12 expanded. They would only pay enough to keep the payouts the same. If the Big 12 didn't take that clause, then they wouldn't have gotten as much money from the TV contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT