ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 30 for 30 on 2006 Texas/USC

A Football Life already did one. It was pretty good. I'll bet 30 for 30 will be better.

I heard on the radio today that ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the 2005 national championship game. Pretty cool for those of us that we're fans a decade ago, but also cool because kids graduating highschool now we're seven or eight years old back then. A lot of kids probably don't realize the stature of that game, and what it meant for college football.

By far going to the best 30 for 30 since it was the greatest football game ever played and will never be matched! Can't wait!

Reactions: Scholz
I have probably watched 2006 NC game in its entirety more than 50 times, no joke. By far the greatest football game ever played and there will never be another. The 30 for 30 is going to be incredible!

The NFL talent on both sides in that game was ridiculous.

I thought the greatest game ever played was the OU/Boise St. You guys sure your game isn't the second greatest?

I thought the greatest game ever played was the OU/Boise St. You guys sure your game isn't the second greatest?

If you really believe that make your argument. I am sure the fiesta bowl featuring some run of the mill OU team losing to Boise State on a trick play is as compelling as two juggernauts squaring off in the granddaddy of them all for a national championship.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Boise/OU was a great game. It's a top 10 game but not a top 5, imo. It's remembered as some David v Goliath upset and it was an upset, but not of Goliath, the upset was over Paul and he was just a normal dude who had a pretty good team that year.

Boise v OU had back and forth action and huge plays including a statue of liberty. It was David and Goliath with OU shitting the bed again., It even had a marriage proposal walk-off score. It definitely belongs in the top 2 or 3

From a game standpoint it was as good as it gets. From an intrigue standpoint there was a lot to be desired. There is no way you can call that Paul Thompson led OU team Goliath with a straight face. They certainly weren't a Goliath when we mudholed them. They were a run of the mill OU team who had no QB and without injuries to Colt wouldn't have even been selected for the game.

It was a hell of a game, but I think people romanticize it to be more than it was.

Last edited:
Boise v OU had back and forth action and huge plays including a statue of liberty. It was David and Goliath with OU shitting the bed again., It even had a marriage proposal walk-off score. It definitely belongs in the top 2 or 3
You Sir, are a genius.

It was a nice game, but I'm not putting a bowl game with no title implications whatsoever in any top 10. Hello? Did we forget 1969? 1996 Big 12 championship? Hell OU vs FSU? And I'm sure there's plenty I'm leaving out.

The first meeting between Texas and Ohio State.

If I'm including non title implication games, have to put Texas-Michigan up there.

Don't even get me started on games involving OU-NU, and teams like ND, PSU, USC, Miami, etc I'm quite sure have been involved in bigger, better games.

A good argument can be made that Texas USC propelled college football to the huge following it has now. The opponents were one and two all season long. Neither ever slipped a slot in any relevant national ranking. There were three heisman trophy candidates, and two winners, on the field. Probably most important, the game lived up to the hype. It went down to the wire, and the team that people were describing as the best football team of all time lost. It really went down like a movie script.

The 2 best teams play for the championship every year. I admit it was a quality game for sure, but the best game ever? There have been a lot of those type of games over the years. Way too much orange koolaid.

A good argument can be made that Texas USC propelled college football to the huge following it has now. The opponents were one and two all season long. Neither ever slipped a slot in any relevant national ranking. There were three heisman trophy candidates, and two winners, on the field. Probably most important, the game lived up to the hype. It went down to the wire, and the team that people were describing as the best football team of all time lost. It really went down like a movie script.
The increased following started in the mid 80's according to the ESPN show 30 for 30. The year the Boz attracted the country's attention.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
The 2 best teams play for the championship every year. I admit it was a quality game for sure, but the best game ever? There have been a lot of those type of games over the years. Way too much orange koolaid.
You realize they are making the second documentary this year about that game, right. Apparently it's not just a couple of posters on this blog that thinks it was the best.

The increased following started in the mid 80's according to the ESPN show 30 for 30. The year the Boz attracted the country's attention.
Lots of things have contributed but part of this 30 for 30 will be the impact this game had on CFB, per matt Lienart.

The increased following of college football started in the 80's because I started watching college football in the 80's and everyone wanted to be like me.

Actually a few things happened in the 80's that turned people away from the NFL and gave them the opportunity to give college football a try.

1. In that decade there were scandels involving drugs in the NFL.

2. I believe there were NFL two strikes

3. NFL teams began to play musical cities.

4. The NFL became all about the money.

5. Miami's bad boy image became a huge draw for people

7. Guys like Bo Jackson, Deon Saunders, Barry Saunders, were electric.

8. The huge rise in popularity of the NFL draft took off in the 80's.

Add all those things up and it really made college football what it is today.

The increased following of college football started in the 80's because I started watching college football in the 80's and everyone wanted to be like me.

Actually a few things happened in the 80's that turned people away from the NFL and gave them the opportunity to give college football a try.

1. In that decade there were scandels involving drugs in the NFL.

2. I believe there were NFL two strikes

3. NFL teams began to play musical cities.

4. The NFL became all about the money.

5. Miami's bad boy image became a huge draw for people

7. Guys like Bo Jackson, Deon Saunders, Barry Saunders, were electric.

8. The huge rise in popularity of the NFL draft took off in the 80's.

Add all those things up and it really made college football what it is today.
Nice , believable post. I concur!

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT