ADVERTISEMENT

First Coaches Poll is out

I only see 2 of those teams making the playoff. Ohio State is almost a given, TCU is a safe bet, but I would be surprised to see any of the other 3.

Baylor is over rated, and I don't see 2 BIG12 teams in the playoff. Alabama is good, but I only see 1 SEC in the playoff and there are several with just as good a chance as bama. I think Oregon takes a step back at QB.

Don't be surprised if FSU makes another run, ACC is so weak.

Reactions: horns.sg
Last years playoff contenders were ranked 1, 2, 4 and 6 in the first coaches poll.

I only see 2 of those teams making the playoff. Ohio State is almost a given, TCU is a safe bet, but I would be surprised to see any of the other 3.

Baylor is over rated, and I don't see 2 BIG12 teams in the playoff. Alabama is good, but I only see 1 SEC in the playoff and there are several with just as good a chance as bama. I think Oregon takes a step back at QB.

I'll take Clemson to win the ACC

No Texas for the first time since 1998. I'm glad to see this!!!
Five years of mediocre play is a lifetime in CFB. It's longer than a high school career. Five years means you are all but forgotten by recruits. I'm not glad that it had to come to this, but if a change in national perception is what it takes to get things back on track, so be it.

Five years of mediocre play is a lifetime in CFB. It's longer than a high school career. Five years means you are all but forgotten by recruits. I'm not glad that it had to come to this, but if a change in national perception is what it takes to get things back on track, so be it.
Good thing we don't seem to be out of recruits minds!

Good thing we don't seem to be out of recruits minds!
Ha agreed. The logo helps a lot. Apparently Strong is on top of his game too. Any other school in this state lets that happen they are Texas Tech at best in the eyes of recruits.

POOOR AGGY! Again, the worst team on the Brazos. Baylor returns 17 starters, the entire O-Line, the entire D-Line, a 1000 yd. rusher and the best receiving corp in the nation. We'll be just fine. Enjoy watching another great autumn of the Baylor Bears high flying offense, and A&M mediocrity.

POOOR AGGY! Again, the worst team on the Brazos. Baylor returns 17 starters, the entire O-Line, the entire D-Line, a 1000 yd. rusher and the best receiving corp in the nation. We'll be just fine. Enjoy watching another great autumn of the Baylor Bears high flying offense, and A&M mediocrity.

Diadevic, I have a lot of respect for your team especially your offense. But your defense still has question marks. I don't know if you remember a player on the Cowboys named To Tall Jones. Your guy Shawn Oakman reminds me of him physically. But I'm just not sold on him. In the second half of the CB he disappeared and that's not the first time he's done that. There's question marks in their secondary. I was a big Oilers fan in the 80's. Cris Dishman was an all pro cb for them. He's now the safeties coach and apparently he's a good coach. Can he improve their secondary? If so then the Baylor secondary will be improved. Interestingly it's the guy who's the exact opposite of Oakman in size that's the best player on their defense. Taylor Young is only 5'10" but barring injury he will be a star. Big XII fans will remember his name this year. He could be the difference maker the Baylor defense needs. Think London Fletcher when you think of this kid.

Baylor is breaking in a new QB and the team has never really been "good" on defense. Let's slow the hype train down until we know what Baylor is going to be this year.

It's tough to be too upset with not being ranked given recent history. Just add it to the motivation and remind the team that they don't get to be great just because they made it on campus in a top notch program.

The opportunities to be ranked will be there. Hell, win week 1 and we'll be ranked. I think the odds are against us (especially with it being the first game of the year), but the opportunity is there. Lose game 1, but win 2-4 and we'll probably be ranked. Throw in game 5 and/or 6 and we definitely will be. Win 8 or 9 regular season games and we almost certainly will be. But they've got to go out and win the games! Let's see it happen!

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
There's been too many times recently where we were over-ranked and it did not seem to serve us well. I prefer the team be overlooked and playing angry.

Hook 'em

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I didn't say Baylor sucked, I said I don't think they will make the playoffs. And they won't. You will get beat by TCU and that will be that. Can not lose a game with your schedule and get in. Looking at the top 25 list that started this thread and Baylor only plays 2 ranked teams. Remember that when you beat your chest about going 10-2.

Last edited:
I don't think the team should be ranked, it's just a shame that the fall was this drastic and this long.

I think SC is ranked to low at #10. I predict they will win the Pac XII make the playoffs, and make it to the title game.

Screw bu and art briles.. He's a hell of a coach but I long for those 42-7 beat downs. Tcu always fields a solid team but you know what... **** em. This has been the case for 5 years, but all we need is a qb and we can do some things. Sooner than expected. HEARD!! Hook em

I sure hope there is a big crop of crow in and around Texas this year. They ain't gonna be happy getting shot all to hell and getting eaten by a bunch of longhorn fans. You boys been predicting our demise since RGIII left early for the NFL.

How has that worked out for you? Big 12 Champions, two years in a row and going for the THREE-PEAT!

I sure hope there is a big crop of crow in and around Texas this year. They ain't gonna be happy getting shot all to hell and getting eaten by a bunch of longhorn fans. You boys been predicting our demise since RGIII left early for the NFL.

How has that worked out for you? Big 12 Champions, two years in a row and going for the THREE-PEAT!

Congrats. Still zero national titles, zero BCS wins, and zero playoff appearances. Briles has dominated a league where the two powers, OU and Texas, have been down. That won't last much longer, don't worry.

Last edited:

Texas will beat Baylor this year. I'm willing to stake more than just my word.

I think Baylor is going to be one hell of an. .
. average team this year.

New QB won't be as good as advertised.

I didn't say Baylor sucked, I said I don't think they will make the playoffs. And they won't. You will get beat by TCU and that will be that. Can not lose a game with your schedule and get in. Looking at the top 25 list that started this thread and Baylor only plays 2 ranked teams. Remember that when you beat your chest about going 10-2.

I didn't say you said Baylor sucked. You said Baylor was "overrated." Poooor Aggy - reduced to hoping for Baylor failure. Not gonna happen this year.

Outhereincali - I get what you say about Oakman. Personally, I think he is not consistently dominant, but certainly an All Conference talent. And an incredible physical specimen. Check out this video --- a 40 inch vertical leap, HOLDING 2 35 POUND DUMBELLS!! I don't know if that translates into sacks, but still an incredible feat.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...oakman-jumps-40-inches-holding-70-lbs-weights

I didn't say you said Baylor sucked. You said Baylor was "overrated." Poooor Aggy - reduced to hoping for Baylor failure. Not gonna happen this year.
I said I thought Ohio State and TCU were good bets to make the playoff, but I do not believe Alabama or Baylor are likely to make the playoff. So both Baylor and Alabama are overrated in my opinion.
I feel it is more likely that Baylor will win 10 regular season games than Alabama. Even though I think Alabama would beat Baylor by a couple TDs.
Don't take other people's opinions so personally. I am guessing just like everyone else, not sure why saying Baylor will be good but not elite is such a big deal.

I said I thought Ohio State and TCU were good bets to make the playoff, but I do not believe Alabama or Baylor are likely to make the playoff. So both Baylor and Alabama are overrated in my opinion.
I feel it is more likely that Baylor will win 10 regular season games than Alabama. Even though I think Alabama would beat Baylor by a couple TDs.
Don't take other people's opinions so personally. I am guessing just like everyone else, not sure why saying Baylor will be good but not elite is such a big deal.
I don't take other people's opinions regarding football rankings personally, but I do take some of your prior posts personally. You have been very derogatory towards Baylor as an institution, including several posts that Baylor doesn't deserve to be in a Big 5 conference, Baylor is going to get left behind, implying Baylor was unethical in threatening suits towards ATM and on and on. Pooooor Aggy - year 76 of rooting for failure of others because your school can't win a thing. Don't fret --- these things go in cycles, so one day the Bears will slip down again .... and UT will rise up, creating a whole new anxiety attack.

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT