ADVERTISEMENT

Great read on LHN

ESPN...Based on their history, we don't worry about the last four years.....Smart folk!

The hilarious thing is Clay Travis is already backtracking on Twitter. What a dolt.

ESPN claims they had nothing to do with each other and that talks about an SEC network began long before LHN staffing.

That certainly gives credence to the LHN was started to keep Texas and OU from joining the PAC and making the first super conference camp. The biggest issue being the PAC was already setting up their own network and distribution leaving ESPN out for the 2 most populated states in the nation; California and Texas.

Now with the PAC distribution issues the PAC may have been better off partnering with ESPN getting bundled with ESPN like the SECN and LHN were in the last round of ESPN negotiations.

Have these idiot writers forgotten about a thing called commercials. 7.5 million subscribers paying $.29/month is $26 mill per year in revenue. Add in advertising revenue and i'm sure the LHN is doing just fine.

Reactions: Bass Elder
Agreed. I tried to make this point some time ago in another thread/

If I remember correctly, it was comcast that was trying to buy the LHN from ESPN, in a failed attempt. Now they are the lone major cable company that has yet to pick them up in Houston.

Sounds like sour grapes.

It's easy to add up and calculate the money aspects of deal, the intangibles are much more difficult.

My opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, is that LHN up to this point has been a net loser. I think the opportunity costs have been pretty high.

If the deal runs its course I could very well be proven wrong, and hope I am.

It's easy to add up and calculate the money aspects of deal, the intangibles are much more difficult.

My opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, is that LHN up to this point has been a net loser. I think the opportunity costs have been pretty high.

If the deal runs its course I could very well be proven wrong, and hope I am.
It all comes down to business perspectives. Has it been as profitable for ESPN as they'd hoped, especially early in the process? No, but Texas still yanks in the big paycheck.

What is positive, as well as undeniable, is that even though our 3 major sports have all fallen on rocky times, we are still making a TON of money. And all it takes us putting a product on the field that we are used to seeing per our historic past, and the revenue spout will be wide open and unsurpassed.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
People have speculated since the inception of LHN that it is losing money and is therefore a failure. First of all there are no figures to prove that it is losing money. But third year profit as an indication of success is a false premise to begin with. Any large scale business plan has multiple profit models that include conditions. You don't think anyone at ESPN thought that it was possible that Texas would slump in football and baseball at the same time? You don't think anyone speculated that putting third tier games on the network would draw a smaller audience than top ten matchups on abc? You don't think they had an idea of what the saturation point for purely Texas related content was for the average viewer? Of course they did. The invention of the dvr has made even the most mundane sports event a huge money maker for TV networks. There is profit potential in airing crappy games. They are exploiting it. There is a profit potential in airing interviews with coaches and they are exploiting it. But more importantly, they invested in Texas as a brand and by doing so further expanded their own brand. They are linked to Texas now. They don't just televise college sports, like it or not, they now have a stake in a program's success. They are a bigger player now than they were before. Similar to airing something like the x games, their is value in being linked to the sport and the athletes beyond TV ratings.

The LHN will always be here. Too many folks in the great state of Texas and too many Longhorn fans in it and outside of it. Just imagine if the teams would go back to being championship contenders. The haters don't want that to happen, do they?

The LHN will always be here. Too many folks in the great state of Texas and too many Longhorn fans in it and outside of it. Just imagine if the teams would go back to being championship contenders. The haters don't want that to happen, do they?
I do think LHN needs to push harder to get good non con games, even if it means paying the other team. The first game that aired on SEC network was not a third tier game, even though the platform is generally for third tier. That alone could ease any profit issue, if profits are in fact an issue to begin with.

The LHN was hampered by not being able to air high school games like it was supposed to. That is going to go away in my opinion. Sooner rather than later. I'd also like to see the LHN add games that don't include Texas like UTSA Texas State and other regional Texas teams. Lets face it there are other schools that are tied to the Texas system that the LHN can leverage.

The other thing I'd like to see is more humanistic things involving the Texas athletic program. Things where we get to see the Texas athletes outside of competition. Even things that allow the Texas players to host and be themselves. Shit like that would drive the Texas brand and the LHN harder than tier 3 sports. hell, I'd like to see a music show where Texas athletes introduce their favorite music. You gotta know that would be an attention grabber for high school athletes.

The LHN is such a under-utilized tool.

Reactions: StainedOrange
I would like to see ex alum players do an hour or 30 minutes show about their lives in the NFL, NBA or MLB. That would be a treat to all fans. I do agree with having other UT system schools airing on LHN. That would generate more revenue. Also, having all state finals high school football, basketball and baseball. I would be up for that as well.. I know that is shut down but i think it still can happen.

Financially and great for the fans. I am a huge college baseball follower and I get to watch every home game from my living room when I don't attend. I also have the luxury of watching other sports that would never get scooped by ESPN or Fox.

I get 2 football games a year that we also stream when they are played at DKR.

OU was pretty passive regarding LHN until the high school topic came up. Texas might try again but OU and the other schools in the Big 12 will oppose it.

Financially it was a great decision by Texas.

If you think there was any other reason for us to have the LHN then you are nuts... Financial was the ONLY decision anyone was worried about with the creation of the network.... Texas will still pull recruits etc without the LHN, but we do like having all that extra money... it gives our NC trophies company to hang out with... maybe one day aggys will get to experience this... but i fear by the time that happens everyone on this board, along with the next 6 generations to follow, will be long since dead and gone.... so you wont ever see or experience it yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT