ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting academic breakdown

Damn, OU's averages are higher than I would have thought. Not bad for a Community College!

That's because your high end students bring the averages of your low end up. We have nearly 40k undergrads enrolled, you have about 21k undergrads. Your SAT and ACT scores should be much higher since you have limited students. If you were at about 40 k students your average SAT would be somewhere around 1600.

Rick Perry is a freaking moron. Something Aggies and Horns should agree on.
Did you guys get some kind of exception on the top 10% rule?

That's because your high end students bring the averages of your low end up. We have nearly 40k undergrads enrolled, you have about 21k undergrads. Your SAT and ACT scores should be much higher since you have limited students. If you were at about 40 k students your average SAT would be somewhere around 1600.

That makes absolutely no sense other than the fact you are pulling numbers out of your ass regarding speculation on if OU had 40K undergrads and the SAT Score of 1600. Not surprising though coming from you. Also, how does fewer students mean that the score should be higher?

Rick Perry is a freaking moron. Something Aggies and Horns should agree on.
Did you guys get some kind of exception on the top 10% rule?
Lord, hate to agree with aggie, but he's a freakin' maroon moron, for sho.

The Texas Education Agency notified school administrators Tuesday that the University of Texas at Austin will only automatically admit summer/fall 2014 applicants in the top 7 percent of their graduating class.

Though Texas law guarantees automatic admission to the state's public universities to students who graduate in the top 10 percent of their high school senior class, legislators modified the law in 2009 to allow UT Austin to limit such automatic admissions to 75 percent of its freshman slots for Texas residents.

link

That makes absolutely no sense other than the fact you are pulling numbers out of your ass regarding speculation on if OU had 40K undergrads and the SAT Score of 1600. Not surprising though coming from you. Also, how does fewer students mean that the score should be higher?

1-OU spends a lot of resources in recruiting national merit scholars. It's not really a wise strategy in terms of resource allocation and academic rankings, but hey it's OU. Last time I looked OU currently has nearly 800 national merit scholars enrolled. So yeah, close to 1/21of your student base are national merit scholars. OU spends a crazy amount of resources and provides insane incentives for national merit scholars because it's the only way to bring up the average on things like this. Which is why OU is so shitty in academic rankings. You have a good high end student base but after that your students are a joke.

2-"How does fewer students mean that the score should be higher".......it's not always the case but it should be the case. UT is profiting from the # of students enrolled while also maintaining academic standards. Smaller school enrollment usually means better academic standards (go see most private schools). You can be more selective when you have fewer students, at least you should be.

3-Yep, 1600 is a guess. It's called a projection.

The few elite hs students that come out of this state typically (and wisely) don't attend college in OK. I believe that accounts for some of the disparity in SAT scores. High ACTs are sort of a dime a dozen these days, and ou certainly puts academic marketing eggs in the merit scholar basket.

Kind of an unfair fight if you're putting Texas in the discussion.

Hard to tell what the makeup of the overall student body is like unless you have some measure of variability. Because of the enrollment rules UT fills up a majority of the in state slots with the top 7-8% of students within the state I would imagine that a majority of those scores are fairly high. The out of state slots are extremely competitive, almost to the level of Ivy League schools so I would imagine that those scores are even higher. There are almost 40k data points so I imagine the distribution is normally distributed but I would also imagine that the range of scores is much tighter than other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT