ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting #s on Strong's recruiting at Louisville

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
I've been saying for awhile that Strong hates early commits. After about July is when you see Strong really looking for commits. Some pretty staggering #s below during his tenure at Louisville.

'11 class

Holliman-1/8/11
Rogers-12/20/10
Parker-12/16/09
Dubose-2/2/11
Brown-12/16/09
Pryor-9/21/10
Moore-2/11/11
Harrington-3/22/10
Floyd-11/8/10
Mauldin-3/17/11
Epps-9/1/10
Mount-5/2/10
Mack-7/16/10
Miller-8/3/10
Romano-2/2/11
Bridgewater-12/20/10
Golson-1/10/11
Johnson-1/8/11
Gaines-9/25/10
Reeve-1/5/11
Wallace-9/28/10
Petersen-11/13/09

-17 out 22 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

'12 class

Brown-1/17/12
Dawson-1/7/12
Holliman-9/7/11
Parnell-7/13/11
Burgess-1/3/12
Rankins-1/24/12
Gardner-7/11/11
Houchins-6/20/11
Radcliff-1/6/12
Brown-12/10/11
Garcia-11/14/11
Anvoots-3/25/11
Klusman-6/12/11
Manley-7/16/11
Hubbell-12/7/11
Appleby-9/27/11
Bowles-9/29/11
Sibiea-12/11/11
Atkins-2/1/12
Hughley-8/19/11
Jefferson-4/14/11
Herron-7/12/11

-18 out of 22 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

'13 recruiting class

Quick-1/5/13
Hearns-6/29/13
Bolin-9/22/11
Thomas-2/17/13
Benjamin-12/16/12
Richardson-1/4/13
Williams-1/22/13
Shortridge-12/10/12
Kelsey-1/28/13
Elam-2/26/13
Fraser-1/29/13
Lacy-5/10/12
Towbridge-4/12/12
Middleton-12/2/12
Ross-5/2/12
Nelson-12/16/12
Bridges-6/16/12
Clark-2/3/13

-13 out of 18 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

So the most commits Strong took in a given class before July 1st was 5. To put this in perspective, look at the #s for certain teams in May of this year. FSU has 14 commits already, Ohio State 15, Miami 21, Georgia 12, Ole Miss 13, Kentucky 16, UCLA 10, Michigan State 12, Duke 11, Tennessee 10, Florida 11, Maryland 10, and so on.

I'm not sure those stats say what you think they do. First a school like Louisville regardless of the coach (Saban and Urban would probably be the only exception) probably doesn't have kids rushing to jump on board. Second, generally 3 star prospects are typically added to a class closer to signing day as most schools are waiting on their first round of offers to come make a decision. From a pure observation standpoint its my opinion that 4 stars make up the majority of the early commits to most schools with 5 stars generally dragging out the process (rightfully so) and 3 stars taking available scholorship offers where schools missed on their first targets. If you look at the classes you mentioned Louisville finished 29, 42, and 52 in team rankings 0 5 stars, 9 4stars and 34 3 stars. What it does say based on the results is that Strong has done a great job identifying perceived secondary targets and getting these kids to perform on the field. I think if you gave Strong the oportunity to take the top 25 kids in Texas at your first junior day he would have taken every commitment.

I'm not sure those stats say what you think they do. First a school like Louisville regardless of the coach (Saban and Urban would probably be the only exception) probably doesn't have kids rushing to jump on board. Second, generally 3 star prospects are typically added to a class closer to signing day as most schools are waiting on their first round of offers to come make a decision. From a pure observation standpoint its my opinion that 4 stars make up the majority of the early commits to most schools with 5 stars generally dragging out the process (rightfully so) and 3 stars taking available scholorship offers where schools missed on their first targets. If you look at the classes you mentioned Louisville finished 29, 42, and 52 in team rankings 0 5 stars, 9 4stars and 34 3 stars. What it does say based on the results is that Strong has done a great job identifying perceived secondary targets and getting these kids to perform on the field. I think if you gave Strong the oportunity to take the top 25 kids in Texas at your first junior day he would have taken every commitment.

Almost 40% of Strongs 15 class was committed elswhere. 44% of his 13 class at Louisville were flips as well. Just food for thought.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Louisville and Texas are apples and oranges.

This is how Charlie recruits. At least 22 of the 28 Texas 2015 commits came after July 1st....

Numbers seem to jive...

I don't expect to see anything until July!

It doesn't matter where you coach if you stick to your philosophy... As for early commitments once the program gets rolling...Don't expect it to change!

Except the same trend existed at Florida, on defense, when Strong was the defensive coordinator. The data clearly backs the suggestion that Strong doesn't push for commits early (it's widely known he tells recruits to take their time and take other visits).

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Louisville and Texas are apples and oranges.

Different recruiting styles work for different people. I think there are a plethora of problems with taking a bunch of early commits though (that doesn't mean it can't be an effective recruiting style).

Except the same trend existed at Florida, on defense, when Strong was the defensive coordinator. The data clearly backs the suggestion that Strong doesn't push for commits early (it's widely known he tells recruits to take their time and take other visits).

No, like I said at Florida he was a DC so you can't really use the same logic but also as I stated Florida was bringing in top 5 classes which consisted of high 4 and 5 star recruits which typically drag out the process due to their options. Different scenario.

There are pros and cons to any philosophy. Ideally you hold off on getting commits as long as possible because the more information you have the better evaluation you can do, but the line you have to walk is the recruit possibly going elsewhere. We are often in the dark as the coaches are walking that line so it's hard to tell if it's a bad thing or a good thing. The more highly rated guys you are recruiting the more danger you are that the recruit will move on that's why Louisville and Texas are apples and oranges. Strong is recruiting a different tier of athletes.

No, like I said at Florida he was a DC so you can't really use the same logic but also as I stated Florida was bringing in top 5 classes which consisted of high 4 and 5 star recruits which typically drag out the process due to their options. Different scenario.

No not really.

Pay attention, it was posted in this thread, Strong has adopted Urban's philosophy... That all started at Florida!

Pay attention, it was posted in this thread, Strong has adopted Urban's philosophy... That all started at Florida!

Oh really then also show me the top 5 classes that Urban was bringing in and how he adopted that philosophy.

Urban is a killer at pulling late commits and getting flips. Why don't you discredit it instead of me doing the leg work for you.;-)

Urban is a killer at pulling late commits and getting flips. Why don't you discredit it instead of me doing the leg work for you.;-)

I already did the work, its in my original post, if you wish to discredit that work then go for it.

I already did the work, its in my original post, if you wish to discredit that work then go for it.
Use your google fu, type in aggy yell. Go to recruiting classes from 2005-2009 when Urban took the reigns. The same philosophy applies throughout his tenure. He did not have a ton of early commits. They mostly came after July. Where in the hell do you think Strong got it from when I told you he adopted Urban's philosophy... You're a real blow hard....

Use your google fu, type in aggy yell. Go to recruiting classes from 2005-2009 when Urban took the reigns. The same philosophy applies throughout his tenure. He did not have a ton of early commits. They mostly came after July. Where in the hell do you think Strong got it from when I told you he adopted Urban's philosophy... You're a real blow hard....

Yes because he was bringing in highly rated kids who made their decision later in the process not because he didn't want them. Pretty sure he takes Tebow, Harvin, Easly ect as soon as they want to jump on board but probaly not Johnny 3 star that he has rated lower then his top priorities. Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes because he was bringing in highly rated kids who made their decision later in the process not because he didn't want them. Pretty sure he takes Tebow, Harvin, Easly ect as soon as they want to jump on board but probaly not Johnny 3 star that he has rated lower then his top priorities. Hopefully that makes sense.
Strong closed out with highly rated kids in 2015.... Like I said, you are a real blowhard.

This is how Charlie recruits. At least 22 of the 28 Texas 2015 commits came after July 1st....

Numbers seem to jive...

I don't expect to see anything until July!

It doesn't matter where you coach if you stick to your philosophy... As for early commitments once the program gets rolling...Don't expect it to change!
Exactly, bitter, argumentative aggys who want to criticize Strong no matter the circumstances notwithstanding.

Last year, 23/29 of our class (the best class in the state btw) came after July 1.

The data backs up literally everything that has been said about his recruiting style by analysts, recruits and the man himself. He'd rather take the time to vet all options and focus more on the current season, and he wants the recruits to get the visit bug out of their system and to be truly committed when they commit.

I've been saying for awhile that Strong hates early commits. After about July is when you see Strong really looking for commits. Some pretty staggering #s below during his tenure at Louisville.

'11 class

Holliman-1/8/11
Rogers-12/20/10
Parker-12/16/09
Dubose-2/2/11
Brown-12/16/09
Pryor-9/21/10
Moore-2/11/11
Harrington-3/22/10
Floyd-11/8/10
Mauldin-3/17/11
Epps-9/1/10
Mount-5/2/10
Mack-7/16/10
Miller-8/3/10
Romano-2/2/11
Bridgewater-12/20/10
Golson-1/10/11
Johnson-1/8/11
Gaines-9/25/10
Reeve-1/5/11
Wallace-9/28/10
Petersen-11/13/09

-17 out 22 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

'12 class

Brown-1/17/12
Dawson-1/7/12
Holliman-9/7/11
Parnell-7/13/11
Burgess-1/3/12
Rankins-1/24/12
Gardner-7/11/11
Houchins-6/20/11
Radcliff-1/6/12
Brown-12/10/11
Garcia-11/14/11
Anvoots-3/25/11
Klusman-6/12/11
Manley-7/16/11
Hubbell-12/7/11
Appleby-9/27/11
Bowles-9/29/11
Sibiea-12/11/11
Atkins-2/1/12
Hughley-8/19/11
Jefferson-4/14/11
Herron-7/12/11

-18 out of 22 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

'13 recruiting class

Quick-1/5/13
Hearns-6/29/13
Bolin-9/22/11
Thomas-2/17/13
Benjamin-12/16/12
Richardson-1/4/13
Williams-1/22/13
Shortridge-12/10/12
Kelsey-1/28/13
Elam-2/26/13
Fraser-1/29/13
Lacy-5/10/12
Towbridge-4/12/12
Middleton-12/2/12
Ross-5/2/12
Nelson-12/16/12
Bridges-6/16/12
Clark-2/3/13

-13 out of 18 commits came after July 1st of that given recruiting year.

So the most commits Strong took in a given class before July 1st was 5. To put this in perspective, look at the #s for certain teams in May of this year. FSU has 14 commits already, Ohio State 15, Miami 21, Georgia 12, Ole Miss 13, Kentucky 16, UCLA 10, Michigan State 12, Duke 11, Tennessee 10, Florida 11, Maryland 10, and so on.
Jack Anderson OG out of Frisco says "hi". Just got an early offer. Another swing and a miss by Stampede

Strong closed out with highly rated kids in 2015.... Like I said, you are a real blowhard.

which is exactly what im saying dude, the higher rated players generally take their time but if you look at strong's classes at louisville they weren't filled with higher rated recruits. Geeezzzus I got you here but it was a beating trying to do so

Exactly, bitter, argumentative aggys who want to criticize Strong no matter the circumstances notwithstanding.

Last year, 23/29 of our class (the best class in the state btw) came after July 1.

The data backs up literally everything that has been said about his recruiting style by analysts, recruits and the man himself. He'd rather take the time to vet all options and focus more on the current season, and he wants the recruits to get the visit bug out of their system and to be truly committed when they commit.

I'm sure he told Boyd, Hill, Malik and Warren to not commit in April that he wanted to wait until December.

which is exactly what im saying dude, the higher rated players generally take their time but if you look at strong's classes at louisville they weren't filled with higher rated recruits. Geeezzzus I got you here but it was a beating trying to do so
..................what we are trying to tell you is this has been his philosophy all along. He has even said it himself, we aren't making shit up. I totally understand where your simple logic comes into play, it's not how he is conducting business. Our main talking points as Texas folk is that he is the anti Mack Brown, he will never have his class sewn up before the end of the year!

I'm sure he told Boyd, Hill, Malik and Warren to not commit in April that he wanted to wait until December.
He tells them to take there time and take all their visits, that's all that matters! He doesn't push for a commitment early in the process, that' is what this all boils down to.

..................what we are trying to tell you is this has been his philosophy all along. He has even said it himself, we aren't making shit up. I totally understand where your simple logic comes into play, it's not how he is conducting business. Our main talking points as Texas folk is that he is the anti Mack Brown, he will never have his class sewn up before the end of the year!

lets just move on.

Umm, yes, that's EXACTLTY what he tells players, to take their visits and be sure before committing. Keep ignoring reality though in hopes of finding anything to criticize Strong about in every single instance though, "Mr. Objective". :D

Umm, yes, that's EXACTLTY what he tells players, to take their visits and be sure before committing. Keep ignoring reality though in hopes of finding anything to criticize Strong about in every single instance though, "Mr. Objective". :D

Show me where I've critisized Strong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT