ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Norvell is on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key will be how he develops the receivers once they are on campus. Great recruiter but if we hadnt had lucked into transfers Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders then our receiving core would have been very bad. We always got 4 stars but little production. Kenny Stills and Sterling Shepherd stepped on campus ready to play.

Yeah, no doubt, one of the best recruiters out there. But not the best. Maybe he'll get more lucky in austin and nab all the 5 stars he missed out on over the years.

Wr is one of the most natural positions in the game. The position requires gifted athletes more so than any other position.

A coach can help a player learn how to run better routes, block, and learn discipline, but the rest is really about their athletic ability.

What I want to see out of Norville is our WR become better blockers, finish routes, and less drops.

I will say this. I get why Norville is no longer at Oklahoma. I saw it with Akina, sometimes a coach needs a change of scenery.

Fans are rarely in a position to accurately judge a coaches performance. The whole thing is over simplified mainly because we only get a glimpse into recruiting and then everything else is generally behind a curtain until game time.

Fans are rarely in a position to accurately judge a coaches performance. The whole thing is over simplified mainly because we only get a glimpse into recruiting and then everything else is generally behind a curtain until game time.
Good points but after Shepherd went out the receivers struggled badly. Some is on the qb play.

When you consider that Texas offensive production under this staff has been historically bad, and there is in state competition for recruits that turn out 1000 yard recievers like clock work, it's a hell of a recruiting job selling Texas to a WR right now. Good for him. "Developing" WR is just about teaching blocking, the rest is on the strength and conditioning coach.

When you consider that Texas offensive production under this staff has been historically bad, and there is in state competition for recruits that turn out 1000 yard recievers like clock work, it's a hell of a recruiting job selling Texas to a WR right now. Good for him. "Developing" WR is just about teaching blocking, the rest is on the strength and conditioning coach.

Historically???...Horn1, I must have missed the point. My thought was that it is tough to get a historical perspective after only one year. For us slow ones you might explain it please.

Fizz usually shoots pretty straight. He gets cranked up a bit now and again, but this is a sports talk board after all.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
I think Norvell's situation at OU is very similar to Akina's situation here. Both have some major skins on the wall, although Akina's overall being more impressive, but both grew stale at their schools, and a change of scenery was needed. Neither were producing at the needed level in the end.

The key will be how he develops the receivers once they are on campus. Great recruiter but if we hadnt had lucked into transfers Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders then our receiving core would have been very bad. We always got 4 stars but little production. Kenny Stills and Sterling Shepherd stepped on campus ready to play.

So if they turned out pretty good, they came that way. But if they weren't very good, it was his fault. Interesting.

Yeah, no doubt, one of the best recruiters out there. But not the best. Maybe he'll get more lucky in austin and nab all the 5 stars he missed out on over the years.

I'm trying to figure out, who said he was the best. Maybe you're in your feelings about something, and figured you just had to say something.

Reactions: Scholz
Was norvell fired or did he quit?
He was fired as OC. He was sacrificed like much of the Mack staff. A head coach losing his grip and cleaning house to try to recesitate the program. It happens. Texas got a steal in having him as a WR coach. For those that don't know lots of times RB coach and WR coach are hired for nothing but recruiting. This guy brings recruiting and play calling experience.

Reactions: LonghornMM
He was fired as OC. He was sacrificed like much of the Mack staff. A head coach losing his grip and cleaning house to try to recesitate the program. It happens. Texas got a steal in having him as a WR coach. For those that don't know lots of times RB coach and WR coach are hired for nothing but recruiting. This guy brings recruiting and play calling experience.

Exactly.

Exactly. He was fired. He is a very good recruiter but after that ...........his failure to develop wr's would be a concern for me

What I'm trying to do here? As in discuss a football related topic that was started by a Texas poster? I would personally love to hear what rival rules anyone is breaking in order for you to suggest they leave? I'm guessing none. Letting Texas fans cuss, namecall and do as they wish and complain about ou fans staying within board rules and having a civilized discussion. Just makes me shake my head. Scoop might be a bit strict but at least it isn't like a bunch of jh kids having a discussion. Lol. Y'all have fun and go back to being jealous of anything and everything ou. I love it.

What I'm trying to do here? As in discuss a football related topic that was started by a Texas poster? I would personally love to hear what rival rules anyone is breaking in order for you to suggest they leave? I'm guessing none. Letting Texas fans cuss, namecall and do as they wish and complain about ou fans staying within board rules and having a civilized discussion. Just makes me shake my head. Scoop might be a bit strict but at least it isn't like a bunch of jh kids having a discussion. Lol. Y'all have fun and go back to being jealous of anything and everything ou. I love it.

This will end well for you.

Dude idc message boards are not my life and they are everywhere. Lol. My point is longhornmm was wrong to make that statement and nothing I stated was false.

Actually, yes it was. You have had some of the most productive WRs in Oklahoma history coached by Norville. Deny it if you want, but he has produced some very productive WRs.

I'm very happy with his recruitment, I see from how much I hated Oklahoma Wrs that he was pretty good at that job.

You're an Ou fan and Yankee fan.....that there is enough to figure you out. Go bitch and moan somewhere else

We also had some of the best qb stats ever under Chuck long but where is he now? Coaching flag football somewhere I believe. Listen man in not saying I dislike norvell or that he is a bad coach, I would just a little leery of his development of the wr's once they get on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT