ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Norvell is on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please make sense. Yankees was my sons little league team all thru his little league yrs and he wore #3......

Remember when you guys used to bring in all those #1 classes yet couldn't win the big 12 much less a national title? Point is, I'd hold off on getting too excited about an incoming class if I were you.

Remember when Stoops was winning all those conference titles? Yea, it was a long time ago.

This coaching staff can coach up talent, they have a proven track record.

Right.........Norvell can coach up talent lol. I really have to laugh out loud at that one

What gives? Seems like he was the best WR coach in OU's history based on the #s below. Think he's done a pretty good job of developing players based on the # of WRs in the NFL.

"Three of the top four players on Oklahoma’s all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell’s direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202) – while five of the top six single-season reception marks have come under Norvell."

What I'm trying to do here? As in discuss a football related topic that was started by a Texas poster? I would personally love to hear what rival rules anyone is breaking in order for you to suggest they leave? I'm guessing none. Letting Texas fans cuss, namecall and do as they wish and complain about ou fans staying within board rules and having a civilized discussion. Just makes me shake my head. Scoop might be a bit strict but at least it isn't like a bunch of jh kids having a discussion. Lol. Y'all have fun and go back to being jealous of anything and everything ou. I love it.

Ever notice that you're continually trying to defend what you post here to everyone? Point is, no one appreciates what you post and more times than not, its antagonistic. Then you turn around and play like your some kind of victim and people are being unfair to you. You're free to post whatever you want about Texas or how you think all Texas fans are "jealous of OU", but what you don't seem to grasp is that you come into a Longhorn house and post your opinions that you have about Texas and it isn't well received. Imagine that. If you want to post inflammatory comments, backhanded comments and off-base accusations about Texas fans being jealous of OU, etc., perhaps it would be more well received on an OU forum. Quit your whining on here though. Its old. Its your posting style that rubs people the wrong way. Instead of complaining about everyone picking on you here, take a look in the mirror.

I never claimed to be a great authority, but I had even posted last year that OU seemed to always get terriffic play out of the WR position. I didnt care how they got em....how they coached em up...I only knew that OU receivers were damned good....year in, year out. I dont know if it was coaching....voo doo or whatever, but I suspected that the coaching might....just might have had something to do with it.

I never claimed to be a great authority, but I had even posted last year that OU seemed to always get terriffic play out of the WR position. I didnt care how they got em....how they coached em up...I only knew that OU receivers were damned good....year in, year out. I dont know if it was coaching....voo doo or whatever, but I suspected that the coaching might....just might have had something to do with it.

Oldhorn2, I can guarantee Norvell will have your WR's blocking better than they ever imagined and it will have dramatic effect on your YAC.

Reactions: HornDrummer
MM is about to go "by the power of greyskull" on some aggy or okie. Hold ya breath!

All I want out of our receivers is block your asses off on a run play. finish your routes on a pass play whither you have the ball thrown to you or not. Catch the damn ball when it is thrown to you. I don't care about YAC or any other stat. Do those things and you are a great well coached receiver.

That is how I will judge Norvell

Mm perhaps on other topics and/or situations I was guilty or in the wrong but on this latest situation I wasn't. I know it, you know it. No one is being disrespectful on this topic and its making for good discussion. I hope that continues

Mm perhaps on other topics and/or situations I was guilty or in the wrong but on this latest situation I wasn't. I know it, you know it. No one is being disrespectful on this topic and its making for good discussion. I hope that continues

I believe it was the late Jim Croce that said it best:

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the hat off the ol' lone ranger
And you don't mess around with MM

Reactions: oldhorn2
Women Abuser U. has 6 commits right now with an average star rating of 2.83. Good lord that is New Mexico St. good. Stuttering Boob's days are numbered.

Or in the words of Bill Shakespeare "the lady doth protest too much."
When someone is very defensive of a position, ask yourself why? Why is this sooner here trying to convince us that our WR coach isn't as good as we think he is. Is it because he is genuinely concerned that we are being duped? Of course not. Dude is worried about what they lost.

Reactions: Longhorn Crazy
For most OU fans, seeing Novell go was addition by subtraction, many were happy to see him go and had been waiting for that day for a couple years. If you like him, then , hey, win-win situation all around! A few guys did turn out (Though I may suggest they'd have been productive with any wr coach), the concern for me at least how often he whiffed on and took 2nd or 3rd place to some big name recruits (and he's supposed to be a boss recruiter). Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater, Treadwell, Darius White, DGB, KD Cannon, and that doesnt get into the busts who did make it to campus. He left OU with pretty unproductive wr classes the past few years as well. His first, last and only 5 star was trey metoyer! But , hey, texas is mecca for recruiters so maybe he'll have more luck there than he did in Norman. That said, he did seem to have them blocking, it's just the whole route running, catching, running and touchdowns where his receivers struggled.

Women Abuser U. has 6 commits right now with an average star rating of 2.83. Good lord that is New Mexico St. good. Stuttering Boob's days are numbered.

OU is historically not big on early recruiting. They make their push towards the end of recruitment. He's had like 15 consecutive top 15 classes. If we see an average 2.83 rating in january, then that's a problem

Again it comes back to the fact that you fans keep saying your receivers were great in spite of his coaching and the ones that weren't great sucked because he was their coach.

I've been to Norman OK several times, some people like it some don't. I found it to totally suck. Not a place I'd go to school. It's a much harder place to recruit to so the fact that he had the success he had was amazing and tells me he is a damn good recruiter. You might not have gotten all the 5'star kids but you got a lot of excellent players that turned out damn good.

Outside of Roy Williams, Texas has never gotten a great receiver who came in and was actually great. And I don't put Roy Williams very high on my list of all-time great receivers.

Again it comes back to the fact that you fans keep saying your receivers were great in spite of his coaching and the ones that weren't great sucked because he was their coach.

I've been to Norman OK several times, some people like it some don't. I found it to totally suck. Not a place I'd go to school. It's a much harder place to recruit to so the fact that he had the success he had was amazing and tells me he is a damn good recruiter. You might not have gotten all the 5'star kids but you got a lot of excellent players that turned out damn good.

Outside of Roy Williams, Texas has never gotten a great receiver who came in and was actually great. And I don't put Roy Williams very high on my list of all-time great receivers.

Only a couple were great, and another was really good. In nearly 30 years of coaching, he's had a couple really good ones, and a bunch of not really good ones, and he's whiffed on almost every big one he's went after, and recruiting is his strong point. OU is not as easy to recruit to as other places, but that doesnt mean its hard to recruit there- they've had some of the best college players that ever played enjoy their college days in Norman. OU even managed to even outrecruit texas over the past few years. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that nobody stepped up when Shepherd went down. You say he's gotten a lot of excellent players- I can name many more busts than you can name excellent receivers he's turned out. Who other than Shep, Broyles and Stills would you call excellent? Maybe you can sway my opinion. Jalen Saunders was pretty good, but he was really really good before he came to OU.

Yes, you were wrong. As you are most of the time with how you post here. If I didn't think you were wrong, I wouldn't have posted what I did. Don't put words in my mouth.

This thread is attributing way too much success/failure to a WR coach. Most of their value comes from recruiting. He was fired as OU's OC and probably rightfully so, does he still have value as a WR coach? If he can recruit, he absolutely does.

A WRs production is a result of the offense way more than the WR coach. Do you guys think Kendal Briles is the best WR coach in the business because of Baylor's WR production? The offense dictates the offensive production not the position coaches.

What gives? Seems like he was the best WR coach in OU's history based on the #s below. Think he's done a pretty good job of developing players based on the # of WRs in the NFL.

"Three of the top four players on Oklahoma’s all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell’s direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202) – while five of the top six single-season reception marks have come under Norvell."
Bomb, Norvell had a lot more misses than hits. You really think Stoops would have let him go if he was doing such a great job? He was a good recruiter but was an average coach. You now have our left overs...congrats

You crazy sumbitch :) it's quite a while until NSD and I'm sure we'll be okay. Not great perhaps but okay

Bomb, Norvell had a lot more misses than hits. You really think Stoops would have let him go if he was doing such a great job? He was a good recruiter but was an average coach. You now have our left overs...congrats
All coaches miss more than they hit. That's why you have 80+ roster spots and perhaps 40 that will see the field in a given year. Of those that play, all of them obviously cannot be stars. OU seemed to have at least one WR every year that was dominant. Texas hasn't been able to say that in a long time. Jordan Shipley? Of course you attribute all the failures to Norvell and all the the success to dumb luck. Hope it makes you feel better.

Stoops had to fire someone because he was feeling pressure, and he wasn't going to fire the defensive side because his brother is the defensive coordinator. If Stoops was serious about firing coaches based on performance it would have been the defensive staff.

Total offense for OU:

2014-#26
2013-#50
2012-#14
2011-#6
2010-#7

Total defense for OU:

2014: #51
2013: #22
2012: #76
2011: #62
2010: #87

Mack Brown 2.0, had to find a scapegoat and he sure wasn't going to fire his brother. We also didn't hire Norvell as an offensive coordinator, we hired him as a WR coach. Good try though gooner.

All coaches miss more than they hit. That's why you have 80+ roster spots and perhaps 40 that will see the field in a given year. Of those that play, all of them obviously cannot be stars. OU seemed to have at least one WR every year that was dominant. Texas hasn't been able to say that in a long time. Jordan Shipley? Of course you attribute all the failures to Norvell and all the the success to dumb luck. Hope it makes you feel better.

Yep, he just glanced over the stats I posted that prove he's probably one of the most successful WR coaches in OU's history.

Stoops had to fire someone because he was feeling pressure, and he wasn't going to fire the defensive side because his brother is the defensive coordinator. If Stoops was serious about firing coaches based on performance it would have been the defensive staff.

Total offense for OU:

2014-#26
2013-#50
2012-#14
2011-#6
2010-#7

Total defense for OU:

Mack Brown 2.0, had to find a scapegoat and he sure wasn't going to fire his brother. We also didn't hire Norvell as an offensive coordinator, we hired him as a WR coach. Good try though gooner.
I agree that Stoops should have made more changes on the defensive side of the ball starting with his brother. That still doesn't take away from the fact that other than Shepard, out WR group was terrible last year.

I agree that Stoops should have made more changes on the defensive side of the ball starting with his brother. That still doesn't take away from the fact that other than Shepard, out WR group was terrible last year.

Or maybe your QB was terrible. Spin all you want, Norvell produced some of those most productive WRs in OU's history.

Total offense for OU:

2014-#26
2013-#50
2012-#14
2011-#6
2010-#7

Total defense for OU:

Bomb, Do you really not know all of our coaches on the defensive side of the ball except Mike are new coaches in the last three years. We fired or retired three just last year. Don't let facts get in the way of the conversation. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT