ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
Anybody see his interview with Cowherd today? I'm serious when I say this, something is mentally wrong with Harbaugh. I've actually thought this for some time, dude is off his rocker.

A bunch of people wanted Harbaugh as the Texas coach but he wouldn't have lasted a year at Texas. I actually think he ends up being a failure at Michigan.

Haven't seen the interview, but he's definitely a different cat. Have to agree there. But the man can coach football - especially the fundamentals of the game - in a way that few guys are doing anymore. I was certainly in the Harbaugh-to-Texas camp, and still think he would've been successful at IT. But it's hard to imagine that he would have ever attached himself to the program (and state) the way CS will and is.

Did we dodge a bullet though? We'll see. Have to think Urban Meyer is going to own the Big 10 for the forseeable future, but it's certainly going to be more I interesting now.

Reactions: maxtanker
I think you should replay the interview and consider this: Harbaugh isn't a glad handing, small talk type of guy. If you want to engage him with questions, don't throw him your standard underhanded softball tosses. Come correct with impactful, deeply detailed questions ABOUT football.

Ex: "Coach, I've noticed your list of early verbal commitments has sky rocketed. I also noticed you have a commitment from the top fullback in America. Is it safe to assume that your offense at Michigan will be geared around the same X's and O's philosophy you has at Stanford, and what changes if any do you anticipate having to make facing Big 10 teams vs Pac 12 teams?"

I promise you that generates a better response than soft ball questions.

Also, at the beginning of the interview, I think Cowherd launching straight into the interview rather that formally welcoming the coach irked him a little. He's a proper guy, hence why he "greeted" Colin before he started answering his question.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
He's a gifted coach but when he was with the Niners but he has the kind of personality that wears thin on people and that includes players. I've seen him treat fans like s•••

He never really developed Colin Kapernick after his rookie season. His in your face dis to the other teams coach like he did to Pete Caroll, won't work on Urban Meyer.

But he played for Michigan so hel'll be treated like the son who has come home for at least a few years. Without question he's a gifted coach. But he's a walking public relations disaster. This doesn't work at the college level. For all the people who wanted him here believe me were better off without him. Being out here in the Bay Area I've grown to like the Niners. I'm glad he's gone.

Clob, I agree with the example of how Cowherd could have approached things and worded some of his questions. However, Harbaugh is on a nationally syndicated radio show. He knows this. He made himself look bad. If he was in a bad mood for whatever reason that day, he should have never agreed to the interview. Cowherd and several other media types do interviews with head coaches all the time and none of them act like Harbaugh did today. That would be a difficult and awkward situation for anyone in the media to be in. Cowherd isn't infallible, but even if Harbaugh didn't agree with CC's approach, he should have shown some respect for the interview process and acted like a seasoned, professional coach.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
MM, I see your point. No doubt Harbaugh could have been more enthusiastic and professional with regard to his answers.

But allow me to post this question... certainly you've seen old Bobby Knight interviews. Bill Bellichek interviews. Greg Popovich interviews. Those men, all considered coaches with impeccable winning records, have given similarly awkward interviews before. However, they are allowed a hall pass because 1. They've got rings. 2. It kinda funny to watch them give those interviews. Think Bobby knight doing the game face bit. Think coach pop doing ANY halftime interview for 5 seconds. We don't look at them say "wow, how disrespectful and unprofessional he was". We usually chuckle, shrug our shoulders and go "that's just pop being pop------- or bill being bill-------- or Bobby being bobby".

I think in Jim's mind, he's being glib. Showing a little faux disdain to the media, acting slightly insulted at remedial questions "pop, bill and Bobby were famous for that". And I think he's trying to let people know, in an over exaggerated manner I grant you, that he want to be taken seriously, but is also a bit of an enigma.

Just my 2 cents mm, but I'd love to hear your retort.

He's a weird dude, but a proven winner at both levels. I would take him as my coach any day. The idea that people think he just wouldn't work at Texas, says way more about Texas than it does about him. Unfortunately the greatest coaching minds currently walking the planet don't exhibit the qualities necessary to be successful at UT.

Anybody see his interview with Cowherd today? I'm serious when I say this, something is mentally wrong with Harbaugh. I've actually thought this for some time, dude is off his rocker.

A bunch of people wanted Harbaugh as the Texas coach but he wouldn't have lasted a year at Texas. I actually think he ends up being a failure at Michigan.
He will not be a failure at Michigan, especially if past performance is any indication. He is not nuts. He is arrogant and pretty much a butthole. But he can coach football. He intentionally is the round object in the square hole. He is hard to like but an excellent coach. I would take him at Texas in a heartbeat. Not until giving Strong his time but IF Strong doesnt get it done (he will). I hope.

He wont fail, he's simply not playing with a full deck of cards! Great football coach, but there was a lot of issues at the niners.

Because he doesn't like doing interviews and has short answers he isn't playing with a full deck? Lol I'm sry guys but where are u getting this in a 3 minute interview?

clob, Harbaugh seemed to be intentionally vague, short, and annoyed. Not sure why he was like that or if he was in a bad mood. He made himself look bad. He should have never agreed to do the interview.

clob, Harbaugh seemed to be intentionally vague, short, and annoyed. Not sure why he was like that or if he was in a bad mood. He made himself look bad. He should have never agreed to do the interview.

OK. A question. Do College Coaches HAVE TO submit to interviews? I know the NFL makes them submit. Some one mentioned he was like Bellichik. THAT is what I noticed.

The Texans Coach Bill O'Brien, also, imitates Bellichik's shortness but ADDs not really saying anything but "Coach Speak." Example: As you know, the Texans have not had a real QB in their history YET as they keep hiring backups... and there are three in summer practice. This will be very familiar to UT as EVERYBODY in town wants and HOPES somebody is separating himself so they keep asking Bo'B to commit - so Coach BO'B tells them "QB A is having a great session blabla - QB B is having a great session blabla - QB C is having a great session blabla - and then starts talking about the rest of the team. NO amount of questions ever gets him back to "IS ANYBODY SEPARATING HIMSELF?"

My point is some of these coaches hate the media's stupid over and over questions trying to make them commit to somebody which will stop the competition they are after - or give more access than they want to, at the moment - enough that they PUNISH them.

That's what I think Harbaugh does. He thinks he is a genius ( I don't know if he is, but up until last year, his record said he was) and he doesn't suffer fools well. Not saying that it is polite, but I think he punished Cowherd so he never asks him back. He wants to coach and be left alone as anything but coaching does not interest him.

No, I don't think college coaches have to submit to interviews like NFL coaches do. Those kind of requests usually go through their publicists and the school's SID. I will agree that some media types are better than others with their questions. Cowherd is usually pretty good with his questions and is a pretty sharp guy. However, he could have started out the interview better than he did and addressed Harbaugh more respectfully. Both guys have big egos and I see some fault on both sides.

OK. A question. Do College Coaches HAVE TO submit to interviews? I know the NFL makes them submit. Some one mentioned he was like Bellichik. THAT is what I noticed.

The Texans Coach Bill O'Brien, also, imitates Bellichik's shortness but ADDs not really saying anything but "Coach Speak." Example: As you know, the Texans have not had a real QB in their history YET as they keep hiring backups... and there are three in summer practice. This will be very familiar to UT as EVERYBODY in town wants and HOPES somebody is separating himself so they keep asking Bo'B to commit - so Coach BO'B tells them "QB A is having a great session blabla - QB B is having a great session blabla - QB C is having a great session blabla - and then starts talking about the rest of the team. NO amount of questions ever gets him back to "IS ANYBODY SEPARATING HIMSELF?"

My point is some of these coaches hate the media's stupid over and over questions trying to make them commit to somebody which will stop the competition they are after - or give more access than they want to, at the moment - enough that they PUNISH them.

That's what I think Harbaugh does. He thinks he is a genius ( I don't know if he is, but up until last year, his record said he was) and he doesn't suffer fools well. Not saying that it is polite, but I think he punished Cowherd so he never asks him back. He wants to coach and be left alone as anything but coaching does not interest him.

It doesn't work like that. Like it or not talking to the media is part of a coaches responsibility be it college or pro. He doesn't have to be a shameless media hound or talk nothing but coach speak, but he has to do it. You want a coach who is not just rude to fans but kids as well. I can't for the life understand why posters on this thread would be glad to have him as a coach. And please spare me the he's just so into his job nonsense.

It was much harder listening to our former whiny kiss ass head coach than hearing Harbaugh. Maybe he is letting everyone know in his own extreme way he is the furthest thing from a phony.

I absolutely love listening to coach Strong, no fluff.

Harbaugh is currently at #6 in recruiting 2016 with more to come and the Longhorns are mired down
at 53.....Oh yeah, Harbaugh is crazy.

I can envision a scenario where Michigan turns their program around next year while Texas will decide whether to go with Swoops or Heard and is staring down no better than 7-5
...I can project Harbaugh providing no excuses this year when they play their schedule while we talk about a rebuilding program and having patience.

Finally I can see Harbaugh playing in a major championship in 3 years while we at Texas will chase slogans and P.C. low hurdle accomplishments and blame people like me for having unrealistic expectations

Ironic that the slogan "WE ARE TEXAS" suddenly can nosedive into 2 distinct meanings

Finally I can see Harbaugh playing in a major championship in 3 years while we at Texas will chase slogans and P.C. low hurdle accomplishments and blame people like me for having unrealistic expectations
I can see you're a bit slow, but I'm not likely to blame you for that or anything else.

Hook 'em

Reactions: oldhorn2
It doesn't work like that. Like it or not talking to the media is part of a coaches responsibility be it college or pro. He doesn't have to be a shameless media hound or talk nothing but coach speak, but he has to do it. You want a coach who is not just rude to fans but kids as well. I can't for the life understand why posters on this thread would be glad to have him as a coach. And please spare me the he's just so into his job nonsense.

If there were 2 lines......1 line is the line trying to hire Harbaugh.......2nd line is the line not wanting Harbaugh

Which line would you think 99.9% of the college and pro teams would be in? He is a butt...He is a great Football coach. Interviews are NOT why you hire a football coach.

Damn!...ever watch an interview from Bobby Knight back in the day when his teams were on top?..Who cares if he is a dick?

Harbaugh, will fail because he won't do the one thing required at Michigan. He won't beat Urban Meyer and Ohio State. They have the jump on him and more importantly, Michigan alumni won't have the patience to give him time to catch up. They are paying him a lot of money for fast results.

No knock against Harbaugh but he is in a really tough situation.

I also should say, After watching 20 years of Greg Popovich do interviews, I don't think Harbaugh is that big a deal.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
The thing about Pop is that he is always the smartest guy in the room. They know it and he knows it. He tends to give an interview like Einstein would teach a 5th grade math class

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Wolverine here, JH isn't the smoothest talker in many rooms, he does however, have trouble tolerating any person not showing respect to him or his team, not having thought out ? @ a preplanned interview. He came across lousy, who cares, he was interviewing Cowherd, does the Texas fan base actually consider Cowhere any type of football auth? Thought not, JH is known for having little patience for unprepared people, on or off the field and I am one of the vast maj of M fans that wouldn't trade him for any other at this time where M is suffering through 7 yrs of coaching failure. Jmho guys, just thought an opinion of a M fan might be relevant. I rarely comment on another board although I do, quite often, read them.

ADVERTISEMENT