ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (About those vacant positions...)

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by dentonhorn:
Must have been the mood I was in but the Grand Budapest Hotel, I thought, was one of the worst I have sat through in years. Maybe I will watch again someday.
It won a Golden Globe last night. It's a unique movie for sure and if you're not in the right mood, you might not be down.
I'm sorry, but lots of cr*p movies win awards. Obviously some people might find it comedic genius but let's not pretend that somehow liking it really depends on your mood. There's not a single thing I find appealing about the moving when I see the trailer. It's either your cup of tea or it isn't.

Originally posted by RLong68:
2nd SB or not, Thomas is well on his way to Canton. He's essentially an Ed Reed reboot and lord knows Reed is going to leisurely stroll into Canton.
He seems like an Ed Reed/Troy Palamalou hybrid almost. He is a ridiculous blend of different skill sets. As close to perfect a free safety as there is IMO.

Thank God I'm not the only one into.....errr...I mean, tortured by Blank Space. I'll write your name.

I've already spewed plenty of thoughts on the BS call from the Dez catch yesterday, so I'm gonna let it go and try to shake it off.

PushFade,

I wrote this a year ago, and I've gone back in to update the numbers

I went back and looked at the players mostly mentioned in the GOAT conversation at quarterback and I charted the following: total games played, touchdown passes, interceptions, overall quarterback rating, yards per attempt and number of elite performances (judged as any game rating of 100+). Here's what the numbers show:

Joe Montana: 23 games, 45 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, 95.6 career rating, 7.9 YPA and 12 games of 100+ ratings.

Tom Brady: 27 games, 46 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 88.0 career rating, 6.79 YPA and 10 games of +100 ratings.

Peyton Manning: 24 games: 38 touchdowns, 24 interceptions, 88.5 rating, 7.27 YPA and 6 games of 100+ ratings.

John Elway: 22 games, 27 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, 79.7 rating, 7.63 YPA and 5 games of 100+ ratings

Johnny Unitas: 9 games, 7 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 68.9 rating, 7.36 YPA and 2 games of 100+ ratings.

And then there's Aaron Rodgers...

Aaron Rodgers: 11 games, 22 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 105.3 rating, 7.95 YPA and 5 games of 100+ rankings (2 more above 91)

Say what you want, but Montana was the better playoff quarterback.

2nd SB or not, Thomas is well on his way to Canton. He's essentially an Ed Reed reboot and lord knows Reed is going to leisurely stroll into Canton.
Agreed, but he's putting himself into a different kind of company with multiple rings.

Originally posted by CPHornfan:
You can be certain Strong is in interview mode in Louisville right now as i type this. Am certain he will make the right hires to join his staff

Some of the names:

Dugans
Gilmore
Levine
Beamer
John Baxter(rumors)
Lewis
Boulware
Others?

Seems like after reading this board and others, most seem to think Levine and Dugans have the best shots? anyone?

edit: forgot Tee Martin
This post was edited on 1/11 10:56 PM by CPHornfan
I wouldn't be surprised if Lamar Thomas got an interview.

Originally posted by dentonhorn:
Must have been the mood I was in but the Grand Budapest Hotel, I thought, was one of the worst I have sat through in years. Maybe I will watch again someday.
It won a Golden Globe last night. It's a unique movie for sure and if you're not in the right mood, you might not be down.
I'm sorry, but lots of cr*p movies win awards. Obviously some people might find it comedic genius but let's not pretend that somehow liking it really depends on your mood. There's not a single thing I find appealing about the moving when I see the trailer. It's either your cup of tea or it isn't.
I liked it a lot.

Originally posted by McGuapo:
Thank God I'm not the only one into.....errr...I mean, tortured by Blank Space. I'll write your name.

I've already spewed plenty of thoughts on the BS call from the Dez catch yesterday, so I'm gonna let it go and try to shake it off.
I see what you did there.

Originally posted by coopdog:
Ketch wanna make any predictions on the hires?
I've heard what seems like a lot of names in the vetting territory and it's hard to say which direction Charlie actually goes in. Smart money is on guys that have worked with him before on some level.

Our AD, Steve Patterson, is deeply involved in Charlie Strong's success at UT. I never knew about the $4.375M buyout that UT had to pay Louisville when he hired Strong. Patterson raised his salary from a little over $3M at Louisville to $5M at UT, plus the $4.375M buyout to Louisville. I can't believe he had to do that to hire Strong.

No one hopes Strong is successful at UT more than I do. I long for the days of UT dominance in football. I hope a year from now we are celebrating a Big 12 championship and a highly ranked UT football team, and are praising the turn around of our team under Strong. If for some reason Strong is not successful, I feel that Patterson will go down too.

It is really frustrating to see an open checkbook for assistant coaches, and Strong not hiring the very best in the nation. These two hires will be very important in Strong's future success.

Originally posted by msuhorn:
Originally posted by champ6369:
A Taylor Swift list = 10 Thoughts has jumped the shark.

It was a good run.
I'm hangin' in there 'till Air Supply

Loverboy or Duran Duran.

wink.r191677.gif

Less of a catch than the Calvin Johnson play.

I think both should be catches, but I think the refs got it right according to how the rule has been interpreted in the past. Be mad at the rule, not the refs.

If you're having to rely on officiating to win a game, you deserve to lose. That goes for Detroit fans as well. That goes for ANY fans of ANY team. Dallas lost and deserved it. Don't give up chunk yards in the run game, don't give up third and longs...don't give up points and the Bryant play doesn't even matter.

Crying about refs/bad calls is weak. You're better than this Geoff.
cool.r191677.gif

1) if you're a Cowboys fan you're not a true longhorn fan, due to the historical snubbing that the Dallas Cowboys have given UT longhorn players in the draft. The current state of the Dallas Cowboys roster bears this out: they have more "OU lite" (OSU) players (5) than Longhorns (4). Of course this doesn't mention all the players they have from UT's opponent schools (OU, TT, etc.)
How can you be a true Longhorn fan if you support the NFL team from the same state as the Horns (!) that has shown the Horns very little love through the years. It seems in some of these years that their management went out of their way to avoid drafting Longhorns. There's no excuse.

2) sorry but any grown man that likes Taylor Swift's schmaltzy teen pop drivel secretly wears panties everywhere he goes, or fantasizes about doing it. If that's your thing, great. But own up to it.

Originally posted by Hook 'em Danno:

Originally posted by nojo76:
Ketch, what is the likelihood that Strong makes a splash hire?
Not really his style it seems.Not a lot of WR/RB hires would even qualify.
Groh and Brewster are splash hires as position coaches. All relative.
No doubt

Originally posted by Buda Horn:

I think both should be catches, but I think the refs got it right according to how the rule has been interpreted in the past. Be mad at the rule, not the refs.
I'll be pissed at everyone, thank you very much.

Originally posted by WTexasHorn:
If you're having to rely on officiating to win a game, you deserve to lose. That goes for Detroit fans as well. That goes for ANY fans of ANY team. Dallas lost and deserved it. Don't give up chunk yards in the run game, don't give up third and longs...don't give up points and the Bryant play doesn't even matter.

Crying about refs/bad calls is weak. You're better than this Geoff.
cool.r191677.gif
Horseshit.

You telling me Deion didn't interfere with Irvin in 95?

Originally posted by hoss1000:
1) if you're a Cowboys fan you're not a true longhorn fan, due to the historical snubbing that the Dallas Cowboys have given UT longhorn players in the draft. The current state of the Dallas Cowboys roster bears this out: they have more "OU lite" (OSU) players (5) than Longhorns (4). Of course this doesn't mention all the players they have from UT's opponent schools (OU, TT, etc.)
How can you be a true Longhorn fan if you support the NFL team from the same state as the Horns (!) that has shown the Horns very little love through the years. It seems in some of these years that their management went out of their way to avoid drafting Longhorns. There's no excuse.

2) sorry but any grown man that likes Taylor Swift's schmaltzy teen pop drivel secretly wears panties everywhere he goes, or fantasizes about doing it. If that's your thing, great. But own up to it.
This is truly one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read on this board. Truly the most idiotic. I mean really really really idiotic. Good god this is idiotic.

how do you know someone is gay?

th

Wasn't a catch under the rules.

Drops of Jupiter is Swift's best song by far and doesn't get a mention?

Rough weekend.

Good read.

You flat out NAILED #6. There might be two other receivers in the league besides Dez that makes that catch.

#7. If the Pats find a running game, I'm going with them to win it all this year.

#10. You missed this one by a few spots, #6 should be in the top 3.

Originally posted by memhorn:
Wasn't a catch under the rules.

Drops of Jupiter is Swift's best song by far and doesn't get a mention?

Rough weekend.
a Rolling Stone Magazine Top 10 reader's poll didn't list the song

Originally posted by LEFTY658:
Good read.

You flat out NAILED #6. There might be two other receivers in the league besides Dez that makes that catch.

#7. If the Pats find a running game, I'm going with them to win it all this year.

#10. You missed this one by a few spots, #6 should be in the top 3.
7. Seattle will maul them.

10. I leaned hard to her new pop stuff.

Well then take some solace in the fact that even if the catch had stood and Dallas scores to go up by 1 or 3 points on the drive, the odds were still in Green Bay's favor to drive down the field for a game winning TD or FG. I mean, Green Bay successfully drove the ball into FG range on their final drive when they weren't even trying to score, but only trying to run out the clock.

Best case scenario for Dallas if the catch stands... they score, convert the 2-pointer, and hold Green Bay to a FG where they are in overtime with a 50/50 shot to win.

Well then take some solace in the fact that even if the catch had stood and Dallas scores to go up by 1 or 3 points on the drive, the odds were still in Green Bay's favor to drive down the field for a game winning TD or FG. I mean, Green Bay successfully drove the ball into FG range on their final drive when they weren't even trying to score, but only trying to run out the clock.

Best case scenario for Dallas if the catch stands... they score, convert the 2-pointer, and hold Green Bay to a FG where they are in overtime with a 50/50 shot to win.
Hell, Dallas might have got the ball back with three minutes to go and timeouts to kill. We'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT