ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida Roots)

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida

Originally posted by msuhorn:
Coaches knew by then that McCoy was going to be good. VY knew Colt was going to be good, he talked about it often. The only thing they doubted, understandably, was his ability to do in an actual game.
-Players either have it or they don't right from the start. Coaches knew VY had it as a Freshman and coaches knew McCoy had it as a Freshman before they ever played a down. Once they did, it was simply a matter of maximizing their talent and cleaning up mistakes. With other QBs your goal is to make them serviceable.
-What is the basis for stating Heard had "early freshman struggles" and a "lack of a picture-perfect fit into Shawn Watson's offense"? Simple conjecture? Extrapolating coach-speak? Refresh us on the source of this Ketch.
- Again, every QB needs "baking", but the guy is already either on the path to glory to just be 'serviceable'. Baking doesn't change the ingredients.

This! Ketch is missing the boat on Heard. Perhaps he needed the redshirt, but he is damn talented & that has not changed, he is damn sure mobile & that hasn't changed, can damn sure throw the ball & that hasn't changed, is a damn good leader & that hasn't changed,......so he is damned sure ready to hit the field. The waiting game has been way too damn long & it's time for him to roll! Get ready to be surprised Ketch.

Eisens goodbye was so sad and definitely made me cry.

Was great to see him later in the day pay tribute to Stu in reading the highlights for the Colts/Bengals game. Link below but it's pretty cool even if you weren't big on his style:

Eisen tribute to Stu

"Come hell or high Atlantic Ocean water, Strong is going to get his junkyard dogs who will give into his vision, even if it means leaving the region from which Mack Brown built a national contender to get there."

I'd love to see Strong rebuild Texas into a national title contender and a national power in recruiting. Aggy opened the SEC to the state of Texas, but our new AD seems to have fired back with a guy who can get his hands on the most talent rich area of the SEC. Local kids are going to naturally want to come to Texas win we start kicking ass again.

The Marines take Texas kids every year and turn them in to season veterans, skilled fighters, team members that lay down their lives. They do it in eight weeks, plus additional training.

Are you telling me Ketch that Texas college coaches cannot make Texas high school players better? Are you talking about Mack Brown and company, or are you telling me that Texas high school football players just can't cut it when the chips are down because they have been a system that produces a young man that cannot get any better after leaving high school?

And yes, I am being dramatic, but I am not buying the blanket indictment of Texas high school football players.

Ketch, I noticed Xavier Lewis, Carlos Strickland, and Keivon Ramsey weren't on the list. I thought I remembered seeing their names come up in the last week or so as wanting to visit.

Ketch,

With regard to this portion of your write-up:

From a math standpoint, the only thing that really matters is the 25-man restriction number once you eliminate the early enrollers (Brandon Hodges, Malik Jefferson, Tristan Nicholson, Garrett Thomas, Quincy Vasser and Connor Williams) that can be counted towards the 2014 recruiting class and remember that Dallas Christian Prep quarterback Matthew Merrick plans to grey-shirt and count towards the 2016 numbers.

That leaves the Longhorns at 20 commitments in the 2015 class, which technically leaves them with five available slots (six if you are already chalking up John Burt as a flip to Auburn) and about a dozen targeted prospects still on the board. [/I]

Can you tell us if the 6 early enrollees totally filled up the 2014 class to its 25 man max or not? If not, then IF the coaches were able to get a JUCO or graduating transfer QB to come in in time to enroll in the spring, could that kid also be counted against the 2014 class? As much as I like Locksley, I think the program would be better served by getting an experienced college QB to truly compete for the starting job for 2015, which Locksley most likely will not be prepared to do. And that would open up another scholly for one of the other 11 to take for the 2015 class (sorry I do not know how to "unshade" this).

Good stuff this week. Thoughts on this blueshirting idea that was on board earlier? I'd love to land Mack, Richmond, Warren, Newsome, Boyd, Hill, Locksley and Fields. Ha, as would Strong I'm sure. How possible is this outcome? Could Texas potentially even find a way to sign 7 of them?

#1 was sicko.

Well done chap!

Originally posted by cvpraag:
Ketch,

Above you referred to Mack as a long-shot. Didn't you previously predict Mack to Texas, or at least say you really liked their chances? What has changed?
Not Ketch.....but Chavis to aggy?

Originally posted by murphy7:
Every major program program in the country recruits the hell out of Texas. But the players aren't really very good because they have position coaches and nice facilities. BS. I've got no issue with what Strong has done with this class. But no need demeaning the value of Texas High School kids in an effort to justify him recruiting Florida so hard. If he truely believes these pampered Texas kids can't cut it, they will pick up on that within the team. That will be a disaster. I know I'll get bashed for that opinion.

Why blame Strong for Ketchum's story about a completely different guy and his wild speculation tying Strong to this belief. There's not a shred of evidence that Strong feels this way.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It seems that every one of this year's playoff teams disagrees with the goofy take put out there by the guy in Ketchum's story as the all have key, if not indispensable Texas players, who were highly recruited out of high school and who are not from East Texas.

I can't imagine that Ohio State considers J. T. Barrett to be a recruiting mistake or that Florida State would send Mario Edwards Jr. back. The same would be true for A'Shawn Robinson at Alabama and Torrodney Prevot at Oregon. There's a reason that these out of state schools are falling all over themselves to pull talented players out of Texas. Entitled players with attitudinal problems are found everywhere.

Originally posted by Hoekem:
Eisen is in some deep pain...tough to watch.
I was watching ESPN yesterday morning. They were understandably really emotional and you could tell there was a lot of love the guy. I flipped it over to the NFL Network and about thirty seconds later, Eisen took a few minutes to talk about him. I think his might have been more emotional. He is clearly going to be missed.

Good write up Ketch---I really enjoyed your first part about Texas high school kids.

I think the incredible coaching, weight rooms and many parents red shirting their boys---create a situation where many Texas HS players peak in high school and do not have as much potential upside as the kids from East Texas , Florida or other parts of country.

I remember a NBA scout saying they would never draft another kid from Indiana -coached by Bobbie Knight. Scout said Knight squezzed every drop of talent out of his players, and there was limited upside or potential growth in NBA

Originally posted by HookemChargers:
What % are your odds on Mack, Boyd, Hill and Fields?

Do you have any names you are hearing as far as transfer QBs?

What is Newsome waiting on?
This post was edited on 1/4 9:55 PM by HookemChargers
I swear you ask the same questions over and over.
wink.r191677.gif

Not sure what percentages I would on the above four. I think Texas has the best shot with Hill, Bod and Fields.

Nothing yet that you should get excited about on the QB front.

Don't rush the kid. Let him do it when he's ready.

- Coaches knew by then that McCoy was going to be good. VY knew Colt was going to be good, he talked about it often. The only thing they doubted, understandably, was his ability to do in an actual game.
Pure non-sense. The coaches were desperate to sign Jevan Snead because they did not believe in McCoy early on. Hell, most thought Snead would win the job in the spring before the 2006 season. Colt didn't start to awake until the summer of 2006.

-Players either have it or they don't right from the start. Coaches knew VY had it as a Freshman and coaches knew McCoy had it as a Freshman before they ever played a down. Once they did, it was simply a matter of maximizing their talent and cleaning up mistakes. With other QBs your goal is to make them serviceable.
No, they didn't. This is revised history that never happened.

-What is the basis for stating Heard had "early freshman struggles" and a "lack of a picture-perfect fit into Shawn Watson's offense"? Simple conjecture? Extrapolating coach-speak? Refresh us on the source of this Ketch.
Every source in the program. People watching the team on a daily basis.

- Again, every QB needs "baking", but the guy is already either on the path to glory to just be 'serviceable'. Baking doesn't change the ingredients.
That's just silly. It suggests that nothing that happens in terms of coaching or scheme or development or players around the quarterback matters very little.

Originally posted by GigoloJoe:
Gary Patterson still seems to be able to get hungry Texas kids.

I'm all for getting hungry, talented kids from anywhere we can, but over the long term, University of Texas football will succeed to the extent it can attract outstanding TEXAS talent.
I thin Patterson and Strong both look for the same type of kid.

Originally posted by Helmet Boy:
Good breakdown of remaining schollies.

You forgot to factor in Carlos Strickland in the mix. He'll be OV'ing soon.
Correct.

coaches didn't know VY had it during his freshman year...their was a reason why C. Mock was a starter even after his RS year..wasnt until halfway of his RS freshman year after the OU game, and even then they keep alt young and mock...it wasn't until the spring going into his RS soph where the light switch finally turned on.

Originally posted by kwayne64:
It seems that every one of this year's playoff teams disagrees with the goofy take put out there by the guy in Ketchum's story as the all have key, if not indispensable Texas players, who were highly recruited out of high school and who are not from East Texas.

I can't imagine that Ohio State considers J. T. Barrett to be a recruiting mistake or that Florida State would send Mario Edwards Jr. back. The same would be true for A'Shawn Robinson at Alabama and Torrodney Prevot at Oregon. There's a reason that these out of state schools are falling all over themselves to pull talented players out of Texas. Entitled players with attitudinal problems are found everywhere.
You point out teams that supplement with select Texas talent. No need to get bent its a theory that has merit. Look at the ags now and UT since 2010. Teams primarily made up of Texas kids who fit the bill of Internet famous since they were 16.

Look ok at the circus Boyd and Mack are creating with Twitter. Just screams look at me.

Originally posted by cvpraag:
Ketch,

Above you referred to Mack as a long-shot. Didn't you previously predict Mack to Texas, or at least say you really liked their chances? What has changed?
His recruitment will be a bit of a roller coaster in the final weeks. A&M is the dangerous team here IMO.

If Texas gets him on campus, still a big IF to me, then it's game on.

Originally posted by MauiHorn:
Go see Imitation Game asap. Best movie of the year and Cumberbatch should win best actor.
It's next on my list.

Originally posted by jefflauderdale88:
Good write up Ketch. And thanks to the individuals who quoted the entire story in their reply. It makes scrolling on a cell phone that much more fun.
I usually edit those (I did it this morning), but passed out last night.

Originally posted by bigzak:

Originally posted by kwayne64:

You point out teams that supplement with select Texas talent. No need to get bent its a theory that has merit. Look at the ags now and UT since 2010. Teams primarily made up of Texas kids who fit the bill of Internet famous since they were 16.

Look ok at the circus Boyd and Mack are creating with Twitter. Just screams look at me.
Poor coaching/leadership normally produces poor results. If Meyer or Saban had been at one of those two schools over the last few years, this wouldn't be a conversation.

Originally posted by TimmyLonghorn:
I've always wondered about all these elite kids...spoiled..pampered. Look at what's happening in Gaggy Land...look at the guys TCU and Baylor are winning with.
It's one of the reasons I love the kids rated in the 5.7 range in the rankings. Those kids always tend to have fire in the belly.

Originally posted by dirtman:
Ketch, it seems that you don't think we are going to find a transfer QB that can come in and play next year. With the QB situtation being the elephant in the room for next year, how does Locksley help when he appears to be another fish out of water in Watson's system? It seems obvious that we need someone who can provide immediate help next year while our young QB's are developing. Going into next season with Swoopes, Heard and a couple of freshmen looks like another recipe for disaster. I can't imagine Swoopes ever being more than a backup for the rest of his career here.

This post was edited on 1/5 12:36 AM by dirtman

This post was edited on 1/5 12:37 AM by dirtman
I wouldn't say that Texas won;t find a guy, but remember Max Wittek? I'm going to wait until there's more than speculation to go on.

I think the staff really wants Locksley as a talent, regardless of position.

Yes, you clearly have the view of the picture that exists.

Originally posted by BigTexEx:

Coaches knew by then that McCoy was going to be good. VY knew Colt was going to be good, he talked about it often. The only thing they doubted, understandably, was his ability to do in an actual game.

This! Ketch is missing the boat on Heard. Perhaps he needed the redshirt, but he is damn talented & that has not changed, he is damn sure mobile & that hasn't changed, can damn sure throw the ball & that hasn't changed, is a damn good leader & that hasn't changed,......so he is damned sure ready to hit the field. The waiting game has been way too damn long & it's time for him to roll! Get ready to be surprised Ketch.
Both of you are members of one of the groups I was talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT