ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida Roots)

Originally posted by I Hear Voices:
The Marines take Texas kids every year and turn them in to season veterans, skilled fighters, team members that lay down their lives. They do it in eight weeks, plus additional training.

Are you telling me Ketch that Texas college coaches cannot make Texas high school players better? Are you talking about Mack Brown and company, or are you telling me that Texas high school football players just can't cut it when the chips are down because they have been a system that produces a young man that cannot get any better after leaving high school?

And yes, I am being dramatic, but I am not buying the blanket indictment of Texas high school football players.
I think you missed the point.

Originally posted by = Iceman =:

Ketch, I noticed Xavier Lewis, Carlos Strickland, and Keivon Ramsey weren't on the list. I thought I remembered seeing their names come up in the last week or so as wanting to visit.
Strickland is in. I'll wait on the other two. A line at some point will have to be drawn. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few back-up options emerge on a January 30th weekend if needed.

Originally posted by AlpacaCorch:
Irvin is a early enrolee too.
Only 6 can be counted in the 2014 class.

This post was edited on 1/5 8:21 AM by Ketchum

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida

Originally posted by THE_Ohio_HORN:
No way I'm betting against Urban Meyer in this NC game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Certainly hard to lay 7 points against his team. FWIW, I would caution people against getting caught up in the final score of the Oregon/FSU game. FSU had little problem moving the ball. Obviously they had a BIG problem holding on to the ball. But it's doubtful Oregon gets that type of good fortune.

As for Fields, was his visit date confirmed since we obviously know he isn't coming in both on the 16th and 23rd?

Originally posted by donjuanovan:
Ketch,

With regard to this portion of your write-up:

From a math standpoint, the only thing that really matters is the 25-man restriction number once you eliminate the early enrollers (Brandon Hodges, Malik Jefferson, Tristan Nicholson, Garrett Thomas, Quincy Vasser and Connor Williams) that can be counted towards the 2014 recruiting class and remember that Dallas Christian Prep quarterback Matthew Merrick plans to grey-shirt and count towards the 2016 numbers.

That leaves the Longhorns at 20 commitments in the 2015 class, which technically leaves them with five available slots (six if you are already chalking up John Burt as a flip to Auburn) and about a dozen targeted prospects still on the board. [/I]

Can you tell us if the 6 early enrollees totally filled up the 2014 class to its 25 man max or not? If not, then IF the coaches were able to get a JUCO or graduating transfer QB to come in in time to enroll in the spring, could that kid also be counted against the 2014 class? As much as I like Locksley, I think the program would be better served by getting an experienced college QB to truly compete for the starting job for 2015, which Locksley most likely will not be prepared to do. And that would open up another scholly for one of the other 11 to take for the 2015 class (sorry I do not know how to "unshade" this).
I believe that 2014 number is maxed out.

Originally posted by Codename: Rondo:
Good stuff this week. Thoughts on this blueshirting idea that was on board earlier? I'd love to land Mack, Richmond, Warren, Newsome, Boyd, Hill, Locksley and Fields. Ha, as would Strong I'm sure. How possible is this outcome? Could Texas potentially even find a way to sign 7 of them?
I believe that Hagar could be an option, but I don't know how receptive he'd be. It would need to come from the batch of kids that haven't taken officials yet and wouldn't mind paying their own way for a semester.

You should add Nightcrawler to your "need to see" list. Gyllenhaal should be a Best Actor nominee.

Originally posted by kwayne64:
Originally posted by murphy7:
Every major program program in the country recruits the hell out of Texas. But the players aren't really very good because they have position coaches and nice facilities. BS. I've got no issue with what Strong has done with this class. But no need demeaning the value of Texas High School kids in an effort to justify him recruiting Florida so hard. If he truely believes these pampered Texas kids can't cut it, they will pick up on that within the team. That will be a disaster. I know I'll get bashed for that opinion.

Why blame Strong for Ketchum's story about a completely different guy and his wild speculation tying Strong to this belief. There's not a shred of evidence that Strong feels this way.
Oh, I think there's plenty of evidence that Strong is frustrated by his players, most of which hail from Texas, and that he plans to build a bi piece of his foundation with players that have different ideologies than many of those coming from this state.

It's the reason I wrote the column.

Ketch, I thought I read somewhere that Irvin is a early enrollee as well. Is there any truth to that?

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by murphy7:
Every major program program in the country recruits the hell out of Texas. But the players aren't really very good because they have position coaches and nice facilities. BS. I've got no issue with what Strong has done with this class. But no need demeaning the value of Texas High School kids in an effort to justify him recruiting Florida so hard. If he truely believes these pampered Texas kids can't cut it, they will pick up on that within the team. That will be a disaster. I know I'll get bashed for that opinion.

Why blame Strong for Ketchum's story about a completely different guy and his wild speculation tying Strong to this belief. There's not a shred of evidence that Strong feels this way.
Oh, I think there's plenty of evidence that Strong is frustrated by his players, most of which hail from Texas, and that he plans to build a bi piece of his foundation with players that have different ideologies than many of those coming from this state.

It's the reason I wrote the column.
I would strongly agree. Just wait until the fall when pretty much everyone in '15 class outside of the true frosh OL and probably Gentry, are thrown into the fire ahead of guys in previous classes.

ate,
It seems that every one of this year's playoff teams disagrees with the goofy take put out there by the guy in Ketchum's story as the all have key, if not indispensable Texas players, who were highly recruited out of high school and who are not from East Texas.

I can't imagine that Ohio State considers J. T. Barrett to be a recruiting mistake or that Florida State would send Mario Edwards Jr. back. The same would be true for A'Shawn Robinson at Alabama and Torrodney Prevot at Oregon. There's a reason that these out of state schools are falling all over themselves to pull talented players out of Texas. Entitled players with attitudinal problems are found everywhere.
You pretty much missed the point as well.

The article does not suggest that great players cant or don't come from Texas. Only someone super-sensitive would fail to see that I was offering up a different view of Texas talent that any outside the state, especially from the Southeast, have about Texas players.

There's no reason to list players from the state are successful because everyone knows that they do exist.

This was about openly discussing a rep that has existed for a long time.

Originally posted by VALonghorns:

Good write up Ketch---I really enjoyed your first part about Texas high school kids.

I think the incredible coaching, weight rooms and many parents red shirting their boys---create a situation where many Texas HS players peak in high school and do not have as much potential upside as the kids from East Texas , Florida or other parts of country.

I remember a NBA scout saying they would never draft another kid from Indiana -coached by Bobbie Knight. Scout said Knight squezzed every drop of talent out of his players, and there was limited upside or potential growth in NBA
There's absolutely some merit behind this thinking.

It's not just entitlement, it's about not maxing out at 19 when the coaches want guys that are maxing ot after they arrive.

Originally posted by bigzak:

It seems that every one of this year's playoff teams disagrees with the goofy take put out there by the guy in Ketchum's story as the all have key, if not indispensable Texas players, who were highly recruited out of high school and who are not from East Texas.

I can't imagine that Ohio State considers J. T. Barrett to be a recruiting mistake or that Florida State would send Mario Edwards Jr. back. The same would be true for A'Shawn Robinson at Alabama and Torrodney Prevot at Oregon. There's a reason that these out of state schools are falling all over themselves to pull talented players out of Texas. Entitled players with attitudinal problems are found everywhere.
You point out teams that supplement with select Texas talent. No need to get bent its a theory that has merit. Look at the ags now and UT since 2010. Teams primarily made up of Texas kids who fit the bill of Internet famous since they were 16.

Look ok at the circus Boyd and Mack are creating with Twitter. Just screams look at me.
Poor coaching/leadership normally produces poor results. If Meyer or Saban had been at one of those two schools over the last few years, this wouldn't be a conversation.
Yes, the two best coaches in the history of the modern game... You are correct, they probably could, although Florida has dealt with entitlement issues since 2009.

That's fair.

Originally posted by RLong68:

Certainly hard to lay 7 points against his team. FWIW, I would caution people against getting caught up in the final score of the Oregon/FSU game. FSU had little problem moving the ball. Obviously they had a BIG problem holding on to the ball. But it's doubtful Oregon gets that type of good fortune.

As for Fields, was his visit date confirmed since we obviously know he isn't coming in both on the 16th and 23rd?
a. Oregon could have scored 80 against FSU if it had wanted to run it up in the 4th quarter.

b. 16th. My fault.

This post was edited on 1/5 8:42 AM by Ketchum

Originally posted by quartersmith:

You should add Nightcrawler to your "need to see" list. Gyllenhaal should be a Best Actor nominee.
agreed. Needs to be on the list.

a. Oregon could have scored 80 against FSU if it had wanted to run it up in the 4th quarter.

b. 16th. My fault.

Suchomel's thread says the 23rd as does Rivals.

My dream picks for the Six Slots....

QB: Kai Locksley (Baltimore, MD)
RB: Chris Warren (Rockwall),
OL: Drew Richmond (Memphis, TN)
WR: Carlos Strickland (Dallas Skyline)
DT: Daylon Mack (Gladewater)
DB: Holton Hill (Houston Lamar)

Originally posted by BigTexEx:

Originally posted by msuhorn:
Coaches knew by then that McCoy was going to be good. VY knew Colt was going to be good, he talked about it often. The only thing they doubted, understandably, was his ability to do in an actual game.
-Players either have it or they don't right from the start. Coaches knew VY had it as a Freshman and coaches knew McCoy had it as a Freshman before they ever played a down. Once they did, it was simply a matter of maximizing their talent and cleaning up mistakes. With other QBs your goal is to make them serviceable.
-What is the basis for stating Heard had "early freshman struggles" and a "lack of a picture-perfect fit into Shawn Watson's offense"? Simple conjecture? Extrapolating coach-speak? Refresh us on the source of this Ketch.
- Again, every QB needs "baking", but the guy is already either on the path to glory to just be 'serviceable'. Baking doesn't change the ingredients.

This! Ketch is missing the boat on Heard. Perhaps he needed the redshirt, but he is damn talented & that has not changed, he is damn sure mobile & that hasn't changed, can damn sure throw the ball & that hasn't changed, is a damn good leader & that hasn't changed,......so he is damned sure ready to hit the field. The waiting game has been way too damn long & it's time for him to roll! Get ready to be surprised Ketch.
Both of you are members of one of the groups I was talking about.
So because I think Heard either has it or he doesn't makes me "delirious" and "irrational"? And you are the "voice of reason" because you think the coaches did not see McCoy as the starter but they "baked" him into one?

OK man, whatever you think.

There's not a better burger than a Butcher Shop burger.
This post was edited on 1/5 9:16 AM by simpson65

Originally posted by GigoloJoe:
Gary Patterson still seems to be able to get hungry Texas kids.

I'm all for getting hungry, talented kids from anywhere we can, but over the long term, University of Texas football will succeed to the extent it can attract outstanding TEXAS talent.
True. But Gary Patterson has also signed kids from the following states in some recent classes:

Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia
California
Missouri
Iowa
Kansas
Florida
Oklahoma

Ketch,
Question regarding the QB situation. If Kai commits to us that will mean we will five scholarship QBs on the roster in 2016. It's been so long since Texas has had solid depth at QB that I don't even remember what it's like. Is this what a typical depth chart looks for a big time college program?

Tyronne Swoopes (2013)
Jerrod Heard (2014)
Kai Locksley (2015)
ZacH Gentry (2015)
Matthew Merrick (2016)

b. 16th. My fault.

Suchomel's thread says the 23rd as does Rivals.
He originally said the 16th and then it became the 23rd all in about 24 hours. It's the 23rd, confirmed last night via text.

Originally posted by texaspaulo:
No American Sniper on your watch list, Ketch?
Serious oversight on my part. Adding it now.

Originally posted by msuhorn:
So because I think Heard either has it or he doesn't makes me "delirious" and "irrational"? And you are the "voice of reason" because you think the coaches did not see McCoy as the starter but they "baked" him into one?

OK man, whatever you think.
No, you've invented narratives that don't exist and state them as fact.

I know the coaches didn't believe in McCoy until the fall of 2006 and were desperate for a "war daddy" in recruiting eight months prior because they didn't.

The other guy I was speaking of thinks I hate Heard or doubt him or something silly when I ust wrote that everyone needs to be patient.

Originally posted by bchorn:

Ketch,
Question regarding the QB situation. If Kai commits to us that will mean we will five scholarship QBs on the roster in 2016. It's been so long since Texas has had solid depth at QB that I don't even remember what it's like. Is this what a typical depth chart looks for a big time college program?

Tyronne Swoopes (2013)
Jerrod Heard (2014)
Kai Locksley (2015)
ZacH Gentry (2015)
Matthew Merrick (2016)
Yes, just add in an upper-classman or two that may or may not have enjoyed a redshirt.

Originally posted by bigzak:

You point out teams that supplement with select Texas talent. No need to get bent its a theory that has merit. Look at the ags now and UT since 2010. Teams primarily made up of Texas kids who fit the bill of Internet famous since they were 16.

Look ok at the circus Boyd and Mack are creating with Twitter. Just screams look at me.
Look at the number of national titles for teams located in Texas comprised of primarily Texas kids since the 1970's. It's a short list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT