ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to 2016!)

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Originally posted by Flash1978:
I'll be really surprised if the 2016 class has three running backs. And if he can get his grades in order, I think Rakeem Boyd will be in the mix.
Typically, you replace what is lost in a class and with three backs going out, it would make sense.

Probably depends on what some of the younger guys do.
2016 doesn't look great as far as RB talent goes, I hope we just take 1, and have an attractive depth chart for guys like Toneil Carter and Abram Smith.

Originally posted by jtesq:
Sorry Ketch but just watched Boyhood and I'm baffled on why it is getting the love it is getting. I think the idea of filming the movie over a 15yr timeline is awesome but the actual movie itself was pretty bland and flat.

And this coming from a guy who enjoys good character development.
It's a beautiful movie about life, family and the changes that come within that structure over time.

Things I loved about the movie...

* The coming of age story of the "boy" in the movie really is unlike anything we've ever seen before in cinema. We actually watched him grow from a boy into a young man and within all of the visuals is real-life context to what happens for boys who grow up in unorthodox family structures.

* Patricia Arquette is sensational as the single-mom in this movie and watching her go through many different shades of colors as she attempts to find herself and discover life was fascinating, especially for someone who grew up in such a household.

* The same is true of Ethan Hawke and his own personal journey, from man unwilling and ready to be a parent to the picture of responsibility, while adding layers of his own story within this small family picture.

Calling the movie bland and flat is to miss this picture of Americana that unfolds in front of our very eyes.

This isn't a movie as much as it's a novel about life, real life, and not the normal mess we're presented on screen.

Honestly, I could go on and on.

Originally posted by sharphorn:

Nice write up Ketch, but I do agree with Durant, the National Sportswriters do write
basically what they want about players, even though some things might not be true.
All writes are not like that, but I would say the majority rules in this case.
Most of those sportswriters have slobbered on Durant for a decade. Frankly, the media has treated him with kids gloves when compared to a guy like Lebron.

Apples and oranges, of course, but oyu'd be hard-pressed to suggest he's been treated unfairly by the national media.

IMHO, it's the exception rather than the rule when a true freshman can start. If you view the class assuming they need 1 year of seasoning (redshirt or play time), this class is easily an A. On top of that, you get at least 4-5 freshmen that are either starters or get starter minutes.This assumes we end up with Merrick joining this class. While hopeful a stud graduate transfer comes along, I'm not ready to bet the ranch that Braxton Miller or Everett Golson find their way to the 40 acres... I'm actually OK with that QB class after last year. I'm willing to wait another year for quality QB play (at least knowing it is on the way). Some might even argue its best long term to go ahead and get Merrick in this class. Not that it matters but Jerrod Heard was actually ranked higher than Kai Locksley (5.9 vs. 5.8)...

Originally posted by tgarza34:

Breakdown: Ketch,

I see at least one/two receivers/db's leave the program for 2016. The other positions that might loose a player I believe comes from OL,LB and maybe DE.
I think we're going to see attrition all over the place.

Originally posted by jamimer:

if we are unsuccessful in bringing in another qb over the spring/summer will Merrick be on the team this fall?
It's certainly possible, but if I was him, I'd wait and preserve that extra year.

Originally posted by 15-14:

Pardon me, but don't you owe us 20 thoughts?????
There's at least 20 thoughts in there.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Ketch, I don't understand the Merrick situation either. Clearly we need bodies there. I understood from 10 TFTW we have 84 on scholly, so we have one open one right? Presumably unfilled from 2015 class. Why not give it to Merrick and get him here working ASAP? If they were willing to give him one on 2016... He must be worthy. Just doesn't make sense at our most critical need unless something has changed...

Re twins... Some of you guys are way too far ahead thinking about dating and cars etc... As the father of twins and an third Irish twin - it's a day to day fight dealing with diapers and the dang "pacies" that disappear every time you turn around and the noise! The incessant noise, noise, noise, noise! Now that mine are 6,6 and 7...... I can breathe, and I'm thinking about the dating future (and I'm buying a shotgun).

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting 2015 to bed, on to

Originally posted by Hook 'em Danno:
Great write-up, Ketch. Thanks for the update on the kiddos - really great to hear about Hendrix. Kids are really cute too.

What is Durant's rant in reference to? What is the back story here? Clearly I missed whatever happened to evoke that response.

If Kyler goes pro baseball, what % chance do you think we have at flipping Little?
a. Durant's remark came on the heels of a question about Scott Brooks' job security, I believe.

b. Yes, if Murray goes baseball, it's an open game or Little IMO.

Ketch, the one movie you should watch before Oscar night is Imitation Game...it's turning into a best picture dark horse.

if we are unsuccessful in bringing in another qb over the spring/summer will Merrick be on the team this fall?

It's certainly possible, but if I was him, I'd wait and preserve that extra year.
_______

If I were the coach, I'd get him in in the 2015 class...

Originally posted by AlpacaCorch:

I'll be really surprised if the 2016 class has three running backs. And if he can get his grades in order, I think Rakeem Boyd will be in the mix.
Typically, you replace what is lost in a class and with three backs going out, it would make sense.

2016 doesn't look great as far as RB talent goes, I hope we just take 1, and have an attractive depth chart for guys like Toneil Carter and Abram Smith.
It's a better year than I think you're giving it credit for.

Originally posted by Bevojim:
Ketch, the one movie you should watch before Oscar night is Imitation Game...it's turning into a best picture dark horse.
I'll see it this week. It might be the last one I see.

I liked the "The American Sniper" but I liked "Imitation Game" more.

Originally posted by HornDog:

_______

Texas has not shown a desire to do that as of yet.

Originally posted by timpcoffey:
Ketch, I don't understand the Merrick situation either. Clearly we need bodies there. I understood from 10 TFTW we have 84 on scholly, so we have one open one right? Presumably unfilled from 2015 class. Why not give it to Merrick and get him here working ASAP? If they were willing to give him one on 2016... He must be worthy. Just doesn't make sense at our most critical need unless something has changed...

Re twins... Some of you guys are way too far ahead thinking about dating and cars etc... As the father of twins and an third Irish twin - it's a day to day fight dealing with diapers and the dang "pacies" that disappear every time you turn around and the noise! The incessant noise, noise, noise, noise! Now that mine are 6,6 and 7...... I can breathe, and I'm thinking about the dating future (and I'm buying a shotgun).
a. I wonder what kind of mental position the staff was taking when they offered Merrick. Was it insurance in the event of any issues with Zach Gentry? Were they unsure about getting anyone else? Is this related to the 2016 crop at all and if so, how much? Regardless, they have not been aggressive in putting him in the 2015 class at all to date.

b. Amen.

_______

Texas has not shown a desire to do that as of yet.

Which tells you that they think they can add a plus transfer at QB
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by UT Bondman:

Yes, potentially, but that isn't the only possible answer to the question.

I'm actually OK with that QB class after last year. I'm willing to wait another year for quality QB play (at least knowing it is on the way). .
You know it's on the way?

Agree on Barnes turning Turner lose; however, in the last game he was getting himself open in the middle and too often did not get an entry pass. It seems the guards are a bit slow in reacting.

Originally posted by jwrjr:
Agree on Barnes turning Turner lose; however, in the last game he was getting himself open in the middle and too often did not get an entry pass. It seems the guards are a bit slow in reacting.
what else is new?
wink.r191677.gif

Who, besides Gray, is leaving or even an upperclassmen at running back?

Originally posted by UT Bondman:

Yes, potentially, but that isn't the only possible answer to the question.

True, but they must believe that the percentages are in their favor. ;^)

Those are two really good looking kids esp. considering the gene pool they came from on one side. You married a true gene pool winner. Hopefully some day they play @ Texas on defense.

Holy Moly! Hendrix looks to me like he's Heaven-sent! That little angel face matches his heart does it not!? {He seriously reminds me of my 15 month old grandson! Of course I'm not in any way, shape or form biased}. Haven's sweet too, but definitely has a glint of mischief dancin in her eyes!

Who, besides Gray, is leaving or even an upperclassmen at running back?
De la Torre and Daje Johnson.

Originally posted by Baguette:

Holy Moly! Hendrix looks to me like he's Heaven-sent! That little angel face matches his heart does it not!? {He seriously reminds me of my 15 month old grandson! Of course I'm not in any way, shape or form biased}. Haven's sweet too, but definitely has a glint of mischief dancin in her eyes!
+1

Agree Ketch on the upgrades at each coaching position. Norvell and Traylor should be huge upgrades on the recruiting front which this staff needed especially on the offensive side. I think at worst Haley is a push with Rumph but most likely a moderate upgrade at recruiting and coaching. He certainly has more skins on the wall from a development standpoint which he can sell to recruits and I think his experience recruiting LA and southeast Texas will be a better fit for this program.

I suspect Rumph realized he was going to find a uphill battle utilizing his existing relationships in the SEC region to sign elite players at Texas. I'm looking forward to seeing if Haley can pull kids out of LA and the Houston area on a more regular basis than what we've experienced in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT