ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Still a year away)

Geoff,

I appreciate your honesty. That's why I laugh when my Ag buddies say you are a propaganda machine.

Think Lucci would ever ever post this about the Ags to his subscribers? Lol.

I'm not a Mayweather fan but looking at the Thurman fight he's just not ready and a lot of people give Floyd a defeat as soon as a fight is announced. Who would you bet on to beat him?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how Swoopes could possibly be an option to start over ANYONE. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

He can't hit water from a boat throwing the ball, even when he has protection.

He's not a dynamic runner.

He's a terrible decision maker.

He inspires zero confidence in his coaches and teammates.

He has no leadership presence.

He doesn't have a track record as a winner at any level.

I hate to pile on the kid, because he seems like a good guy, but he's just a terrible football player no matter how you slice it.

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
is it possible that Heard is more of a gamer that can run a simplified offense and ad-lib his way to win? I think it is very possible he just can't run Watson's offense in practice the way Watson wants it run.
Isn't that kind of important? I've never seen anyone get on the field that couldn't do what a coach wanted.

I want to see improvement. CS is not JC so I don't expect miracles, but I want to see improvement. I want to see mean (not dirty). I want to see an O-line that can in fact fight its way out of a paper bag. I want to see a team that is not smiling and goofing around on the sideline when we are down. I want to see the team leaders leading on the field and off. I want to see the players helping and teaching each other and demonstrating enthusiasm and concern for each other. I want a players who understand the meaning of the movie Miracle... every play in practice, every play in games, every moment on 6th street, every moment.

8 and 8 is improvement but frankly I'd rather see 7 and 9 if it meant I saw a probable 10 wins the next year.

2016 is Sh*t or get off the pot.

Originally posted by lord_caesar:

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how Swoopes could possibly be an option to start over ANYONE. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

I hate to pile on the kid, because he seems like a good guy, but he's just a terrible football player no matter how you slice it.
I feel this way too man

People who worry about who starts at Notre Dame 6 months from now need to slow down .

We have not started Spring practice yet. If you thought Heard would the unquestioned leader by the first week of March, then that's on you.

Ketch preaches words like R-E-L-A-X, then shouts out FIRE in a crowded theatre.

Also, F MJ.

If Charlie allows Swoopes to crash another season, Watson will almost certainly have to go, so there's that.

Don't completely count them out just yet.

In my book, that is strange optimism from a guy who said it is time for a fresh start.
I think I know where you are coming from, but does it really make any difference how well they do at the Big 12 or the NCAA?

Then again, maybe you're just talking about his team in the micro context.

"Next year must have butts in seats". The truth is the BMDs were never behind this hire so this coaching staff does not have the political capital to play around with another rear like they did last year. If there is not significant momentum and improvent next year. The kind that exites an crowd in attendance (ie butts in seats), then there will be significant pressure to move coaches out the door. It may not be fair to excellent coach like Strong but gone is 3-5 year rebuilding program. Fans no longer have patience with this. This is why it puzzles me that Strong puts all his eggs in one basket with unproven QBs and an offensive staff that has never proven that they mold an ok QB into a decent one.

This post was edited on 3/8 10:30 PM by PBakerTX

Originally posted by McGuapo:
If Charlie allows Swoopes to crash another season, Watson will almost certainly have to go, so there's that.
Charlie might have to go too. If you're gonna throw away the season by starting a known lame duck QB, then why keep that coach? Bring in someone who will start anyone and everyone to get a win.

Personally though, I think Heard flashes in the Spring game, and Strong will have no other option but to start him.

Charlie might have to go too. If you're gonna throw away the season by starting a known lame duck QB, then why keep that coach? Bring in someone who will start anyone and everyone to get a win.

Personally though, I think Heard flashes in the Spring game, and Strong will have no other option but to start him.

Originally posted by cdunagan051:

Really hoping this hapens.

Swoopes starting means another 6 win season and Charlie would be on the hot seat. If charlie is on the hot seat you can go ahead and expect a 25th recruiting class because everyone will know he's a lame duck at that point. My guess is Shawn Watson gets canned after this year if we go 6-7.

Completely agree with your assesment of the state of the football program. As for the cowboys, is there a case to be made for retaining a modern day version of the triplets? I know resigning Murray might put them in cap hell for a few years. And the difference between now and then is our defense is lackluster. No early Michael Jackson from the 60's when he made his mark?

If Heard is not a better QB than Swoopes, then we are a worst team in 2015 than 2014. We lost a lot of defensive production to graduation and to the NFL this year. Our defense will be worse this year and can not once again carry a dormant offense. Betting on Swoopes to do a 180 degree turn is a horrible bet.

Originally posted by Matty079:
That was a very depressing 10 Thoughts....then you followed it up by doing a pedophile top 10
Worst 10 thoughts EVER
just thoughts of a known pessimist..don't believe all that you read.

Pessimism has never won a battle.
This post was edited on 3/8 10:40 PM by CPHornfan

Ketch, I agree with your overall assessment; 2015 is going to be a rough year. I believe we will have our moments, but overall we are still a year away when you consider the OB situation, OL and rebuilding the defense. Hopefully, by the end of the 2015 season we will be showing some real progress. The same could not be said of last season. I think the best we can expect is that after we finish this upcoming season we can all see light at the end of the tunnel. Right now, its pretty damn dark in the tunnel.

"a. The overwhelming favorite to start at quarterback in South Bend on
September 5 is junior Tyrone Swoopes, a truth that might cause mental
anguish for some, but a truth with which many are going to have to come
to grips. Barring an unforeseen transfer in June, the Longhorns are
going to have Swoopes and Jerrod Heard as options at the most important
position on the field."

Ketch and others. IMO, too much Swoopes bashing. It's a team sport. Everyone on offense contributes to success or failure of the offense. In face, everyone on defense contributes to the success of the offense. Short fields matter. Turnovers matter. Defensive scores help take pressure of the offense.

Ketch, if you had assign a percentage of the blame for the team's offense last year what percentage would you assign each group? For example, in the running game were the failures 35% running backs, 55% o-line and 10% WR blocking downfield? In the passing game was it 60% Swoops, 30% o-line and 10% WR routes and drops?

How much of it is truly on Swoops?

The outlook seems bleak if Heard is not going to seize the job. We fans sure are paying back all the good years we have had with the crap we have to watch on fall weekends these days.

Originally posted by lord_caesar:

Yup, simply this. Sadly, I agree with all of this.

jspirohorn posted on 3/8/2015...

is it possible that Heard is more of a gamer that can run a simplified offense and ad-lib his way to win? I think it is very possible he just can't run Watson's offense in practice the way Watson wants it run.

IMO No that's not it.

Watson's offense was more spread than not and was simplified and dumbed down already.

The Oline was among the worst in CF and Wickline is the O Line coach.

Heard was an outstanding runner at HS, but this is college and I've heard from within the team that he's not a very accurate passer.

Ketch is not the only one reporting that Heard had an attitude problem as well

Vince Young never impressed the coaches much in practice. Neither did James Street. I'm told Bobby Layne wasn't too focused on being a dummy squad All-American either. Uh, they were pretty good on Saturdays when the band was playing, Let's see, VY went 30-2 as a starter, Street 20-0 and Layne didn't lose to anyone. You know the legendary saying about Bobby, "time just ran out on him."

Tyrone Swoopes? He's awesome in practice. Cannon arm. Accurate when no one's rushing and he can't get hit. Looks like an NFL prospect in shorts with that muscular 6'4" 245 lb frame. In pre-game warmup no one looks much better.

But as Steve Martin used to say on SNL 35+ years ago, he comes up "really, really small" against tough, physical D's. Now, would Tyrone be effective behind the Dallas Cowboys offensive line? Maybe. But we'll never know. Because Tyrone will graduate before our O-line is really good.

I would remind Horn fans to remember how ANGRY and DISMISSIVE Coach Strong was about Tyrone, following the Arkansas game. Unless Jerrod Heard is injured or just a complete bust (which is hard to fathom), I can't see Coach Strong wagering any more of his career political capital on Tyrone Swoopes. In fact, a little common sense? Wouldn't one think Coach Strong would have to see a 2-time state champion, athletic, running-centric QB like Jerrod perform IN AN ACTUAL GAME before rendering any final judgment on him?

It's interesting that the 4-star redshirt freshman hasn't taken a single snap in a game, yet many in the sports media are wondering (based on insider comments, of course) whether Jerrod Heard is a bust. Talk about premature panic and gossip. How about we give the kid a chance? In fact, he doesn't even need the "luxury" of being allowed to lose 7 of his first 12 starts like Tyrone did. How about we turn Jerrod loose and see what happens. Operating in a zone read spread, it just might open up Gray and Catalon for big gains. Our receivers might also notice more space to exploit their speed. Heck, maybe, just maybe Texas will finally get BACK to playing REAL OFFENSE again.

Who knows until Jerrod Heard plays QB at Texas in a real tackle football game?

Heck, I'd wager a sizable sum Jerrod will do better than 5 wins in his first 12 starts...

This post was edited on 3/8 10:59 PM by HorntoWin

Not sure who's underrating Off the Wall. I was in 9th grade when Thriller come out and nobody I know liked it better. And Rock with You is #1 in my book.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by lmturner80:

Ketch take off your Mayweather hater shades and be realistic Thurman is not ready his defense is bad Floyd would pick him apart
That's not really the point.

Floyd has been in fights with guys that were better AND more dangerous than Keith Thurman. ALSO, People REALLY forget Floyd's career before 147/154!

Originally posted by lmturner80:

Ketch take off your Mayweather hater shades and be realistic Thurman is not ready his defense is bad Floyd would pick him apart
That's not really the point.

Floyd has been in fights with guys that were better AND more dangerous than Keith Thurman. ALSO, People REALLY forget Floyd's career before 147/154!

Originally posted by todds:
You mentioned "want-to" in the same sentence as Heard. Is that an issue with him? Would have never thought that to be case. Maybe I misread your intent in that sentence.
Yes, the coaches want to see Heard apply himself more. AS I said earlier in this thread, there's a feeling that he didn't come into last season ready to play.
Kinda like Larry Brown wanting Iverson to apply himself more. IN PRACTICE. Play the kid. Early info is preferable to late info anyway. Not shooting the messenger here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT