ADVERTISEMENT

Lampkin's Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzwilly

Feb 22, 2011
As reported on the Horns website by Chris Hummer...

"Lampkin's mother, Vanessa, held a press conference today in an attempt to clear the air surrounding her son's situation. Lampkin, who was in the room, declined to speak, so his mom spoke on his behalf. Here are some quick hitters from the press conference and I'll work to get up a full story tonight when I get back to Austin.

- Right now, the entire situation is still up in the air in regards to the NCAA appeal that was submitted over a week ag. Texas has until June 17 to submit their documents (Lampkin's mom said her stuff sent in was more than an inch thick) and then the NCAA will have until the end of the month to make a decision.

“Right now we are in limbo," Lampkin said. "We’re waiting for the NCAA to come down and either say yes or no in regards to the release. It is their decision.

- Perhaps most importantly, Lampkin will not be at Texas in the Fall. Without a second year of a foreign language completed, Lampkin does not meet the standard for the "Recommended Plan," which is the minimum needed for admittance into UT. Lampkin's mom said she's asked UT many times if there is a way to wave the requirement, but none have yet to be presented to her.

- Lampkin was enrolled in Spanish classes all the way up until last Monday, when he completed Spanish 1B. But he was told by Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District he would not have enough time to complete both Spanish 2A and 2B to enroll at Texas in the fall.

- Lampkin's mom said most out-of-state schools don't have the same admission requirements as the state of Texas. Lampkin graduated from Cy Falls on the Minimum High School Program, which would be good enough to get him into other D1 schools. Lampkin's mom said they have had no contact with any other school but Texas to this point.

- Vanessa said her son had the option to switch to OU in January, but he wanted to stick out his commitment and take on the challenge of the Spanish courses because Austin is where he wanted to be.

- She also said Lampkin has not spoken with Charlie Strong since January. The family has instead kept in contact with defensive coordinator Vance Bedford.

- If the NCAA does not grant his release, Vanessa said they would just wait for Texas to deny his admission because he does not meet the schools requirements, which would release him from his LOI.

- Lampkin's mom said she's not mad at Texas, and neither, really is Du'Vonta. Instead, she pointed more toward CY Falls and the lack of academic attention he received while in school there. (This is a very important quote and accusation, if true. I will look more into it.)

“Du’Vonta wasn’t given a fair share in his academic plan throughout high school," Vanessa Lampkin said. "He’s done everything that everyone has asked him to and more. He wasn’t given the accommodations he needed in school, which caused him to fail.”

- Vanessa reiterated she's not angry with Texas, and neither are the Longhorns at them. She said the school is merely disappointed because of how much Du'Vonta meant to them and the class. Texas is forcing the Lampkins to go through the appeal process. Vanessa said she has not been given a reason as to why."

“Du’Vonta wasn’t given a fair share in his academic plan throughout high school," Vanessa Lampkin said. "He’s done everything that everyone has asked him to and more. He wasn’t given the accommodations he needed in school, which caused him to fail.”

Enabler. He had 12 semesters (that's including summer school) to pass 3 Spanish courses. Get out of here with that nonsense. Kid should go JUCO.

Enabler. He had 12 semesters (that's including summer school) to pass 3 Spanish courses. Get out of here with that nonsense. Kid should go JUCO.
Sounds like he can just wait until January and go to wherever OOS. Seems risky to go JUCO, in case he can't actually play.

Sounds like he can just wait until January and go to wherever OOS. Seems risky to go JUCO, in case he can't actually play.

I'm going to guess Lampkin being out of school would not be a good thing. There's already pictures of him on Twitter partying with alcohol during his free time. If he's not in school from the get go, I bet he never ends up in school.

I'm going to guess Lampkin being out of school would not be a good thing. There's already pictures of him on Twitter partying with alcohol during his free time. If he's not in school from the get go, I bet he never ends up in school.
You are probably right, these kids need someone on their ass 24/7.

You are probably right, these kids need someone on their ass 24/7.

There's contradicting reports. Some people are saying Lampkin's mom wants him at JUCO. I think she knows his butt better be in school or he won't ever be a student.

Mom attempted to save face while making excuses and pointing fingers at the school district. Those online Spanish courses that he was taking through Texas via utk16 can be finished within a few weeks each. It's up to the student. She said he has been taking classes up until last Monday, but I'm not buying that line. He has been living up his summer the first 6 weeks, not scratching out a language requirement. He was waiting on his test for 1B in May! She's an enabler and attempting to protect her baby from bullies on social media...

She may be a (Dr) of some sort, but she is being nothing more than an overbearing parent that thinks her baby is not in the wrong and she's not going to get in the way of his dream to play D1 ball...

Reactions: diadevic
Mom attempted to save face while making excuses and pointing fingers at the school district. Those online Spanish courses that he was taking through Texas via utk16 can be finished within a few weeks each. It's up to the student. She said he has been taking classes up until last Monday, but I'm not buying that line. He has been living up his summer the first 6 weeks, not scratching out a language requirement. He was waiting on his test for 1B in May! She's an enabler and attempting to protect her baby from bullies on social media...

She may be a (Dr) of some sort, but she is being nothing more than an overbearing parent that thinks her baby is not in the wrong and she's not going to get in the way of his dream to play D1 ball...

This! Many people seem to forget there's two parts to being a student athlete. If he can't manage to pass a simple Spanish class, how do you think he's going to fair when it comes time to take a serious course load?

Look, I'm sorry the kid can't make the grade. But if he is out partying with booze and what not like you say, instead of at home cracking down on his studies, I say, "adios".

Sure, he's talented, but better we find out he can't hack it now instead of later, after we've invested lots of time and money and a roster spot on him.

What is it about this generation of kids? Do they not understand what hard work means anymore? Have parents and teachers and friends coddled them so much that they are unable to fend for themselves?

To be honest, he is type of person that if he made to Texas, the Austin party scene would have eaten him alive. I know lots and lots of people that did really well in school that couldn't handle it. A kid like him would have never lasted at Texas. This is probably better for both sides.

How on earth do you go four years to school and not pass the Spanish class and then magically make a B during the summer?

This all falls on the Lampkins. Can we just get it over with already?

Something is fishy here. Lampkin graduated on the minimum plan. Back when I use to teach almost no one was on the minimum plan. It was insanely difficult to get a kid on the plan because I think the districts get dinged if too many kids graduate on that plan. The other thing that was a major deterrent for putting kids on that plan is that they would not be eligible for admission to any public 4 year institution in Texas. In order for him to go on that plan his parents would have had to convince school officials to put him on that plan and they would have been told about these issues.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
If that is the case, why the hell would he have even picked a Texas school much less the toughest public school in Texas?

What I would do if I were him is apply to an out of state, out of conference school that will not show up on the Texas radar while he is in school and as soon as he gets a release go there. There is nothing stopping him from just going to another school like say Arizona State, or Missouri or even Alabama and when his release comes he signs his scholarship and joins the team late.

Like I said, he isn't smart enough to or have the drive to make it, so I'm not worried. The kids needs direction that goes beyond partying with the girls and playing the game. But he doesn't realize it yet. When he does it will be when football is done with him and his opportunity for a free education is lost.

Last edited:

"Lampkin's mother, Vanessa, held a press conference today in an attempt to clear the air surrounding her son's situation. Lampkin, who was in the room, declined to speak, so his mom spoke on his behalf. Here are some quick hitters from the press conference and I'll work to get up a full story tonight when I get back to Austin.

- Right now, the entire situation is still up in the air in regards to the NCAA appeal that was submitted over a week ag. Texas has until June 17 to submit their documents (Lampkin's mom said her stuff sent in was more than an inch thick) and then the NCAA will have until the end of the month to make a decision.

“Right now we are in limbo," Lampkin said. "We’re waiting for the NCAA to come down and either say yes or no in regards to the release. It is their decision.

- Perhaps most importantly, Lampkin will not be at Texas in the Fall. Without a second year of a foreign language completed, Lampkin does not meet the standard for the "Recommended Plan," which is the minimum needed for admittance into UT. Lampkin's mom said she's asked UT many times if there is a way to wave the requirement, but none have yet to be presented to her.

- Lampkin was enrolled in Spanish classes all the way up until last Monday, when he completed Spanish 1B. But he was told by Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District he would not have enough time to complete both Spanish 2A and 2B to enroll at Texas in the fall.

- Lampkin's mom said most out-of-state schools don't have the same admission requirements as the state of Texas. Lampkin graduated from Cy Falls on the Minimum High School Program, which would be good enough to get him into other D1 schools. Lampkin's mom said they have had no contact with any other school but Texas to this point.

- Vanessa said her son had the option to switch to OU in January, but he wanted to stick out his commitment and take on the challenge of the Spanish courses because Austin is where he wanted to be.

- She also said Lampkin has not spoken with Charlie Strong since January. The family has instead kept in contact with defensive coordinator Vance Bedford.

- If the NCAA does not grant his release, Vanessa said they would just wait for Texas to deny his admission because he does not meet the schools requirements, which would release him from his LOI.

- Lampkin's mom said she's not mad at Texas, and neither, really is Du'Vonta. Instead, she pointed more toward CY Falls and the lack of academic attention he received while in school there. (This is a very important quote and accusation, if true. I will look more into it.)

- Vanessa reiterated she's not angry with Texas, and neither are the Longhorns at them. She said the school is merely disappointed because of how much Du'Vonta meant to them and the class. Texas is forcing the Lampkins to go through the appeal process. Vanessa said she has not been given a reason as to why."

You're correct! My daughter is taking online summer courses during her sophomore year in HS so that she can take Calc. before her senior year. It's up to her how quickly she finishes the 1st course so that she can move to the next. A parent should be involved in their kids future not just depend on the school to do everything. It's you, the school and your kids job to get them ready for what's after HS. Parents that make excuses like this probably didn't do any research and just left it up to her kid to follow through. Which we all know some teens need a big push. He needs to go JUCO because he's not ready for UT.

Last edited:
I've taught or taught in Special Ed classes both in Texas and Oklahoma. His Mom is wrong. She's trying to be an advocate for her son, but she's coming of way more as an enabler, and I doubt very, very, very, very seriously that it is as she's stating.

Sounds like a mom trying to save face for her son. The school district didn't dupe them into being on the minimum plan that's either the best he can do in which case any college likely isn't for him, or they weren't paying any attention to his education and he lazily skated by doing the minimum. You aren't getting into any school in Texas on the minimum plan and without athletics you aren't getting into any OOS options either.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
He was probably on the minimum plan so he could stay eligible in HS.

The reaction from within the athletic center to Du’Vonta Lampkin’s press conference was very predictable.

Nobody was moved to action after hearing about the interview session. The school still intends to fight Lampkin’s release. If Lampkin’s appeal is rejected, Texas plans to make Lampkin wait until the very end before denying his admission into the school, which would nullify the letter of intent.

Here are a couple of points that were relayed to me:

- - Lampkin did not do himself any favors when he previously accused Texas of lying to him after former defensive line back Chris Rumph left and joined Florida. The reaction left a very bad taste in the mouths of people who wanted him in the program.

- - When Lampkin announced he would not pass his Spanish class and intended to attend Oklahoma, it backed the staff into a corner. If they released Lampkin, the Longhorns are concerned every kid who was trying to become academically eligible would just give up to get out of their letter of intent agreement.

- - Tight end Devonaire Clarington and receiver Gilbert Johnson are currently trying to complete schoolwork to join the Texas program. Releasing Lampkin would send a bad message to those players who are working hard to join the Longhorns.

- - One option presented to Lampkin was for him to attend junior college and come to Texas in 2016, but he was not interested in that plan. His mother said Texas never presented them with a option other than completing the necessary Spanish coursework, but added they were not interested in attending a junior college.

- - Lampkin passed Spanish 1B with a “B” grade, and those close to the situation believe that shows he has the ability to do the coursework. They question his motivation.

Overall, there is a belief Lampkin wanted to attend Texas, but he received a lot of bad guidance along the way. If Lampkin did not publicly voice his displeasure, things may have been worked out behind the scenes. Once Lampkin backed Texas into a corner, the Longhorns were forced to take action.

By the way, those within the program intend to keep a close eye on which school Lampkin eventually signs with. Although nothing can be proven right now, there is a belief Lampkin was tampered with by another program. If enough evidence can be obtained, Texas may report that school to the NCAA. For now, the Longhorns will monitor what Lampkin does once he is free to sign with another program. (Richardson)

The whole thing just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary drama. Press conferences? You would think this was the #1 player in the nation or something.

I get that it was on him and his teachers/parents/coaches whoever in some manner shared blame for this, and mostly him for not taking an active approach to his education to understand requirements. I dont really feel too bad for him but at the same time, if texas knows he isnt going to qualify, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point, it just seems a little trite to make him have to just wait for something everyone knows has to happen anyway. I'm not saying I wouldnt personally want to do it to stick it to him if i were in the same position, but I dunno, at some point its like, let it go and get on with the rest of your life. He's small fish anyway. Maybe i'm too easy going.

I get that it was on him and his teachers/parents/coaches whoever in some manner shared blame for this, and mostly him for not taking an active approach to his education to understand requirements. I dont really feel too bad for him but at the same time, if texas knows he isnt going to qualify, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point, it just seems a little trite to make him have to just wait for something everyone knows has to happen anyway. I'm not saying I wouldnt personally want to do it to stick it to him if i were in the same position, but I dunno, at some point its like, let it go and get on with the rest of your life. He's small fish anyway. Maybe i'm too easy going.

The family is full of shit, the staff gave them options, he took up a scholly and doesn't want to do what it takes to earn his was into Texas. He'll be free to do as he wishes once this runs it's course. I'm sure he will give Coach Montgomery a call...

Although nothing can be proven right now, there is a belief Lampkin was tampered with by another program. If enough evidence can be obtained, Texas may report that school to the NCAA.
I hope St. Bob gets turned in.

The family is full of shit, the staff gave them options, he took up a scholly and doesn't want to do what it takes to earn his was into Texas. He'll be free to do as he wishes once this runs it's course. I'm sure he will give Coach Montgomery a call...

And sure, you could take a hard line and stick it to an 18 yr old kid. That's their right, and he probably deserves it. I just thought it a bit trite to take it all the way down to the end out just because. Then again if it were an OU signee who wanted to slip out and go to texas id want to make the road as difficult as possible too

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
And sure, you could take a hard line and stick it to an 18 yr old kid.
You mean like when Stoops ripped that scholarship from the Matt Beyer kid because of his medical condition and Stoops was able to squirm out of his promise because the kid hadn't signed on the dotted line yet? Like that?

You mean like when Stoops ripped that scholarship from the Matt Beyer kid because of his medical condition and Stoops was able to squirm out of his promise because the kid hadn't signed on the dotted line yet? Like that?

Sure, that sounds good. Sucks for Beyer.

Stoops lied to Beyer. Ripped his scholarship after he promised him one. Not an honest man.

He was probably dishonest in this case as well. Probably tampered with another school's recruit in Lampkin which has been intimated. He's a proven liar too so it's not like that would be something new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT