ADVERTISEMENT

Mack spilled his Kool-Aid

I believe it. If he called a K State player about comments he made then I do believe this to be true. Mack wants to stay which is sad.

I don't want to believe the original post is true, but not sure what to believe at this point.

If it's true, Mack is a bigger POS than any of us could have imagined. To intentionally try and ruin the broadcasting careers of one of your former players in order to protect your legacy is just a dick move on any level.

Babers talked about this the week after the Ole Miss game on 1300The Zone. He did not say he was fired, just that he was called in and "admonished". That was the term he used. Brian Jones has been much more outspoken about being called in by Mack. Neither Babers or Jones appreciated what went down. Babers went on to say(and I can't quote verbatim) that he chose Texas and he didn't chose Texas for 4 years, he chose them for 40 years. Basically he was saying he was a Longhorn for Life. He also said coaches loyalty to a school stops the day after they leave and that ex-students and loyal fans are there for life. Coach Royal was the exception, he was a Longhorn for life and at a very young age he stepped down because his heart wasn't in it. Unlike Brown he did what was best for UT.

My respect for Babers and Jones sky rocketed after these incidents, my lack of respect for Brown had already hit rock bottom, couldn't go any lower.

So for those posters that say bullish*t to this post, you don't know what went down and you are wrong.

Originally posted by tummer:

Originally posted by RLong68:

5-9 against OU with 4 blowouts including the last 2.
6-9
Meant against Stoops. What he did against John Blake is of no matter to me.

Originally posted by utxX3:
Babers talked about this the week after the Ole Miss game on 1300The Zone. He did not say he was fired, just that he was called in and "admonished". That was the term he used. Brian Jones has been much more outspoken about being called in by Mack. Neither Babers or Jones appreciated what went down. Babers went on to say(and I can't quote verbatim) that he chose Texas and he didn't chose Texas for 4 years, he chose them for 40 years. Basically he was saying he was a Longhorn for Life. He also said coaches loyalty to a school stops the day after they leave and that ex-students and loyal fans are there for life. Coach Royal was the exception, he was a Longhorn for life and at a very young age he stepped down because his heart wasn't in it. Unlike Brown he did what was best for UT.

My respect for Babers and Jones sky rocketed after these incidents, my lack of respect for Brown had already hit rock bottom, couldn't go any lower.

So for those posters that say bullish*t to this post, you don't know what went down and you are wrong.
So.

Was he FIRED as the OP stated? Or "ADMONISHED" as Babers stated?

I remember hearing Babers say that, I can believe this, Bucky also has talked about being called into Mack's office while still at the zone and following the company line. There was also rumors that's why all of the OB guys got fired from the Horn was because of Mack.

This post was edited on 9/27 12:53 PM by Gonzo26

Originally posted by Longhorn Doc:

Originally posted by Califashorn:
I am sure one of you guys here knows Rod Babers. Give him a call and verify the post. It wouldn't surprise. When there is that much money, prestige, ego involved...most coaches want things their way or else. Unfortunately, for Mack the Orangebloods Nation has begun to see him for what he truly is..an emperor with no clothes.
If, in fact, MB fired Jones and Babers for not doing what MB desired, Houston we have a big problem. There is nothing wrong with a reporter giving his view on the air, whether I agree with him/her or not. However, absolute control of the press, is not
negotiable.
If, in fact, MB fired these two young men for their view while reporting, in my mind it is grounds for instant dismissal, no ifs, ands, or buts. This smacks of some mental problem.
Mack's recent performance is grounds for dismissal. This just gives you a window to see part of why the wheels are falling off. This action isn't grounds for dismissal IMO. There is nothing wrong with a company wanting it's employees to tote the company line in public. That's actually pretty standard. It just shouldn't be the concern of our HC because being a HC and being obsessed about media are two seperate full time jobs.

I'm not at all on the Mack wagon but I am not going to rely on the anonymous third post of anyone. So until corroborated by someone with credibility, I call BS.

Originally posted by lilMAC:
My first reaction is BULLSHIT. Mack doesn't control that side of things (radio guys) and even if he DID have control, he wouldn't be the one doing the actual firing.

So, BULLSHIT.

Now, we will see later on if Babers is on the air or not.

This post was edited on 9/27 11:34 AM by lilMAC
You don't think Mack has the pull to fire an LHN guy? Come on, I know you love the guy but you can't be that naive. He's not as powerful as Joe Paterno was, but he ran this program.

Originally posted by UtHornMike:
I'm not at all on the Mack wagon but I am not going to rely on the anonymous third post of anyone. So until corroborated by someone with credibility, I call BS.
Even if Mack didn't "fire" Babers, it's pretty sad that Mack feels the need to even call a guy into his office because he doesn't like what he's saying. We know that much happened as Babers himself has said so.

Originally posted by Gaylord_Focker:

My first reaction is BULLSHIT. Mack doesn't control that side of things (radio guys) and even if he DID have control, he wouldn't be the one doing the actual firing.

So, BULLSHIT.

You don't think Mack has the pull to fire an LHN guy? Come on, I know you love the guy but you can't be that naive. He's not as powerful as Joe Paterno was, but he ran this program.
This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've said some stupid bullshit like this.

I've been done with Mack Brown since 2010 season ended. The BYU and Ol Miss games did nothing to help that.

And while I think he has the pull, I don't think he would be the one saying "You're fired". I can easily believe he called him on the carpet, because HC's with that type of power can and will do things like that.

the OP stated that babers wouldn't be back NEXT year,
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

To be clear, although the OP uses the term "fired" he says that Babers won't be returning "next year" to his broadcasting role. So I guess that's why we're still seeing (hearing?) him on the air. Once things start falling apart for real later in the season (and they will) it'll be interesting to see how Babers handles his commentary.

Originally posted by linked:
the OP stated that babers wouldn't be back NEXT year,
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
he also said he "fired him on the spot".

You don't "fire someone on the spot" then allow them to get back on the radio and talk about the game and your coaching.

You don't "fire someone on the spot" then allow them to get back on the radio and talk about the game and your coaching.
Exactly. It would be counterproductive to the initial plan to tell someone not to speak negatively of you and the program and then when they tell you they will not comply, continue to give them the opportunity and platform to do so. Oh, btw, now you've given them more ammo.

This place is full of school girls rumor mongering, just love the drama.

"This place is full of school girls rumor mongering,"
--------

I dont know if this story is true but someone in another thread posted Babers talking about this recently and he was in fact called in. it doesnt mentioned fired but that he was admonished about his comments

and with the fact Brian Jones was fired for real in the same manner the OP is claiming Babers was is it really a stretch to think this happened?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I heard Babers talk about this himself on the radio so clearly the meeting occured where Mack was unhappy with him. Not sure on the fired part but this story is at least 80% based on truth...unless Babers was lying.

In any case if Mack DID do that it would not surprise me terribly. That pretty such says it all in how I feel about Mack these days.

Originally posted by DizzG:
"This place is full of school girls rumor mongering,"
--------

I dont know if this story is true but someone in another thread posted Babers talking about this recently and he was in fact called in. it doesnt mentioned fired but that he was admonished about his comments

and with the fact Brian Jones was fired for real in the same manner the OP is claiming Babers was is it really a stretch to think this happened?

And Ketch. I mean how many times do we have to hear the same story for it to be credible? Babers, Ketch, and Brian Jones are all liars? Really? ITS A CONSPIRACY MAN!!!

Originally posted by Gaylord_Focker:

So, BULLSHIT.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've said some stupid bullshit like this.

I've been done with Mack Brown since 2010 season ended. The BYU and Ol Miss games did nothing to help that.

And while I think he has the pull, I don't think he would be the one saying "You're fired". I can easily believe he called him on the carpet, because HC's with that type of power can and will do things like that.
Don't deny it. You love Mack.

I think it's funny that Mack is listening to the radio broadcast on the sideline. I guess it's the best way for him to keep up with what's happening on the field. And at least that way he can't interfere with the offensive playcalling.

Originally posted by strain:

I think it's funny that Mack is listening to the radio broadcast on the sideline. I guess it's the best way for him to keep up with what's happening on the field. And at least that way he can't interfere with the offensive playcalling.

I doubt he is. But I'm sure one of his hanger-ons tells him about it.

I would pay some serious coin just to see the Outlook Meeting Notice/Day Planner entry/whatever the hell they use for Mack's weekly meeting with whoever monitors the airwaves and internet sites to report on all the naughty folks saying mean things about the team.

What is that meeting called? Who all attends? And if it's, for the sake of argument, every Tuesday at 2:00 PM, could we see Mack's calendar at that time compared with what the next 50 most highly-compensated coaches in America are doing with that hour of the day?

Originally posted by Book Man:

Originally posted by HornSolo

Now this will get me off the mack brown fence if true.....

So multiple thrashing at the hands of ou, getting our asses handed to us by BYU and Ole Miss and what looks to be 4 straight years of mediocre to downright bad football wasn't enough? I guess threatening Babers if he doesn't toe the company line is where you draw the line. Weird.

Not, really. I know where we were before he got here. He has always represented this university with class and everybody faces struggles. But if true, he needs to go because this type of behavior is what got us in trouble before he came to Texas. Mack deserves our praise and gratitude for what he as done here, but if this is true, he needs to be shown the door.

This post was edited on 9/27 1:30 PM by HornSolo

Can someone explain to me what the problem is with an employer bringing in an employee and telling them his remarks about the company were not acceptable and going forward, if you like to remain employed by this company, you have to follow company orders.

Has no one here ever been reprimanded by their boss? It is not like Mack called in Herbstreet and the Game Day guys and told them not to say negative things about Texas. Babers works for the university and he should be asked to speak the company line.

Yes you can argue that maybe someone else should have called him in instead of the head coach. But also I think it is naive to think Mack doesn't have time to do other things beside coach.

Heck we are all sitting here on our computers reading and responding to comments where we probably should all be working.

I have gone from respecting Mack more than any other coach in college football and being his biggest defenders to literally hating him. How much more of this BS can we put up with. Do you think Saban cares what anyone says about him? Do you think he even knows? Pathetic. Disgusting. And I believe this report 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT