ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Spring game

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
1-It's difficult to really make significant judgements when so many players were out with injuries (a bunch of key players). Even players like Gray were used cautiously.

2-The best players on the field were Jefferson, Echols, De La Torre, and Cottrell. Texas would be wise to use more of De La Torre, kid is a hell of a blocker.

3-I actually thought a lot of the young guys would get time in the secondary, which still may be the case. But I'm actually starting to like what we have in the secondary. Echols, Thomas, Roberts, Bonney, Haines and Hall in the seconardy isn't bad at all. Echols impressed me in the spring game. We have more talent in the secondary than I thought.

4-It was rumored that Texas would take a look at the Ohio State offense. This was definitely true. We had a lot of pre snap movement from TEs/FBs/WRs similar to what Ohio State did in the national championship game.

5-Most improved player on the roster IMO is Swoopes. Swoopes isn't going to be a Heisman winner or anything, but I actually expect him to be decent next year. I like Heard's legs but right now Swoopes is way ahead in the passing game/decision making.

6-WRs dropped too many passes (granted our best WR wasn't playing). I expect some of the Freshman to get time at WR. I like Joe and Foreman at WR, but I'm not overly impressed with anyone else.

7-Field goal kicking looks drastically improved.

8-It won't surprise me a bit if D'Onta Foreman becomes the back getting the majority of touches at the end of the season.

9-Offensive line wasn't great but certainly improved. Minimized the false start penalties and guys at least in the right position the majority of the time. I think the spread will help minimize the talent deficiencies we have on the offensive line.

10-I expect Swoopes to be the starter at ND but Heard to be used in certain packages. I think people tend to forget that Heard is only a RS Freshman (we saw that with his play in the spring game).

11-Daje doesn't need to return punts. I would put Warrick back there. I see why Daje has been running with the second team WRs. Like I've said, I don't think Daje is a WR. He's an undersized RB. I don't think Daje will see many snaps regardless because he's turnover prone, something Strong won't tolerate. I wouldn't mind seeing Daje on kickoff returns but not on punt returns.

12- I though Edwin Freeman looked good.

13-I still don't think there's enough talent on the roster quite yet to challenge for a Big 12 title. Strong made significant strides with the last recruiting class in terms of talent. I expect a 7-5 finish this year and that would be progress. Stockpiling talent should be the biggest priority right now. Strong has pretty much said he's not big on this roster yet, and I really don't disagree. Talent deficiencies in certain areas that take time to fix in recruiting.

Swoops in entrenched. It was troublesome with lack or progression thru out 2015. Maybe he will calm down' let his instincts kick in. Hold my breath each time he drops back..when he gains some confidence and plays a steady game or two then I'll think this over again. Certainly not much of threat to run--maybe for 10-17yrds.

Heard is coming along at a nice pace. With Swoops at the helm, coach's can pick the scenario's to throw Heard to. Each getting a little more difficult along with staying on the field pending his productive play. Believer in Heard.

Hoping Gray is 75% of the rb that stepped on campus three years ago, this is one player I'm betting will have a 'break out' season.

This post was edited on 4/19 12:42 AM by michaelpurify

This post was edited on 4/19 4:07 AM by michaelpurify

QB - Not impressed with Swoopes; he was going against the 2nd Team Defense for most of the game while Heard went against the 1st Team Defense. I'd roll with Heard right now because of his upside. I expected more out of Swoopes with a year of starting experience under his belt and going against the 2nd Team Defense but didn't see it.

RB- Wanted to see more of Gray and Catalon but loved what I saw from Foreman! The coaches played a lot of walk ons that will never see the field.

TE - Cant wait for Clarington to arrive, we need a receiving threat at TE.

WR - Foreman and Templin looked the best in my opinion. Leonard and Daje did not look good!

OL - inconclusive at this point but I still hope Wick finds a solid starting group. Going to watch it again today and focus on the OL.

DL - Cottrel looked great today, Poona Ford looked good. Wanted to see Ridge being dominant but didn't see it. Expected more out of Shiro.

LB - We are looking good with Freeman and Malik, the future is bright.

DB - Bonney was as good as advertised. Davis was quiet in the stat sheet but didn't see him giving up big plays either, hopefully the light has come on. Can't wait to get Duke back and the freshmen in.

Special Teams - Not enough to really tell but Daje doesn't need to return punts. Rose looked good kicking the ball and we may have found a punter.

Overall - I like the new offense but it was a typical Spring Game, too many walk ons playing! Still have questions at QB and OL.

This post was edited on 4/19 6:37 AM by CB32

Originally posted by CB32:

RB- ... The coaches played a lot of walk ons that will never see the field.
And not just at RB. I'm not sure what the motive was, to give so many walk-on QBs reps. Are they trying to protect scholarship players from injury, develop the walk ons "just in case," or reward them? Or were they forced to play them, due to (minor) injuries?

It was conspicuous.

"And not just at RB. I'm not sure what the motive was, to give so many walk-on QBs reps. "

This is common in most spring games. I believe Alabama played 5 QBs yesterday. Spring games are glorified practices, all the coaches want are a few reps. It's why they should just have closed scrimmages. There really isn't a motive. Most coaches view spring games as a waste of time but it helps for recruiting and something fans want. I'm surprised Swoopes and Heard got as many reps as they did.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:26 AM by utisdabomb12

I'm sure coaches hate spring games. They just give the media and fans a reason to overreact and make assumptions. They are a small glimpse of what is really going on. I bet Heard would have looked much better with the first team offense and if J Gray would have got more touches the run game would have looked better as well. The defense did a good job. You can tell the defense is coached well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It is hard to judge because just too many missing pieces at this point but some promise shown in Bonney,Jefferson,Heard will likely lead in years to come.As to Notre Dame,ND has always been Very strong upfront on both sides on the ball.With the spread,Texas will have a chance with its speed if the QB is on Target with his throws.I do not see Texas being able to overpower them with a running game.Yes,its about 4 months away from South Bend on National TV.

Disappointed in Daje. Really hoped he would step up this year.

QB - Both played similarly, but for my money Heard will get better...Swoopes is as good as he will ever be IMO.

RB - Gray will have a 1000+ yard season

WR - Tough to gauge. Warrick and Templin stood out to me. I think Joe and Foreman had good games as well...add Leonard there too. No real game breaker, just a bunch of above average guys

OL/DL - who the hell knows. Everything was pretty straight forward it is tough to tell

LB - They seem to be the meanest of the bunch...they all play with attitude and it is only going to get more talent come August

DB - Hall is very good...who didn't know that. Bonney impressed me the most....he could be a real factor this year.

K - Rose will have a big year IMO

Disappointed in Daje. Really hoped he would step up this year.

It was a Spring game, Daje has been tearing it up in practice the last two weeks. Do you know how college football works?

Originally posted by Falko:
Disappointed in Daje. Really hoped he would step up this year.[/B]

It was a Spring game, Daje has been tearing it up in practice the last two weeks. Do you know how college football works?

Practice like Tarzan, play like Jane?

Horns go 7-6 and Ags everywhere remind you about yalls we fire 8-5 coaches and yall give them raises line. Get ready for it!

Strong is in over his head and will be 500 after two seasons.

Horns go 7-6 and Ags everywhere remind you about yalls we fire 8-5 coaches and yall give them raises line. Get ready for it!

Strong is in over his head and will be 500 after two seasons.
Amazing! This tool already has Strong figured out, a coach that has had nothing but success and came into a situation that needed a colon cleansing. Good story! This must be an educated view based on the way the Aggy coach is getting schooled in the SEC and is well in over his head... What is he? Treading water just above .500 in the SEC after 3 years? What is it, 13-11? This cat went 5-7 at Houston, No? Go take another hit off the jizz jar, aggy!

Reactions: Scholz
Amazing! This tool already has Strong figured out, a coach that has had nothing but success and came into a situation that needed a colon cleansing. Good story! This must be an educated view based on the way the Aggy coach is getting schooled in the SEC and is well in over his head... What is he? Treading water just above .500 in the SEC after 3 years? What is it, 13-11? This cat went 5-7 at Houston, No? Go take another hit off the jizz jar, aggy!

Meanwhile, 8-5 is better than any season Strong has had at Texas. We don't need to look at last year's common opponents....

Meanwhile, 8-5 is better than any season Strong has had at Texas. We don't need to look at last year's common opponents....
Of course not, it wouldn't help your BS 8-5 record with 3 wins in the SEC and the 8th versus a team that Texas destroyed with their starting QB in WVU. Keep padding the victory totals with shit OOC.

I repeat, 3 conference wins in year three under this phenom of a coach Aggy hired. This coming off having a once in a lifetime talent at QB boost Aggy hopes for a better future!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, 8-5 is better than any season Strong has had at Texas.
He's had 1 season, loser aggy. Obsession of Daddy noted though.

You keep paying DJ Drunkass $5M per for zero titles of any kind though. :D

I don't anticipate Strong's record regressing like Sumlins has over 4 seasons.

Meanwhile, 8-5 is better than any season Strong has had at Texas.....

Meanwhile, 8-5 is worse than the previous season that was worse than the previous season for aggy. A trend is created over a time period lasting more than one year.

When utilizing "any season" when referring to only one, it shows the weakness in your intellect and argument-making capabilities.

This new report option is pretty cool. I've already reported Gemba since he's been banned about 15 times already.

Meanwhile, 8-5 is worse than the previous season that was worse than the previous season for aggy. A trend is created over a time period lasting more than one year.

When utilizing "any season" when referring to only one, it shows the weakness in your intellect and argument-making capabilities.
Yep

I watched some of your spring game and I did think the oline looked more athletic, I didn't think they got much push though. From the spring game I think you should just role with Heard he is going to struggle some in the passing game but he makes plays and looks like a kid who could get hot and maybe lead you to an extra win or 2 specifically in the second half of the season. Jonathan Gray just doesn't look like the same kid. Its sad hopefully he continues to recover. No comment on the defense because even though I have an opinion based on what I saw I still think its an incomplete until the season starts. You have some talented freshmen who are going to play and are missing some guys to injury.

"Jonathan Gray just doesn't look like the same kid. "

You can tell that from 2 carries for 11 yards?

"Jonathan Gray just doesn't look like the same kid. "

You can tell that from 2 carries for 11 yards?

That's why discussing these things with aggys is totally worthless. Texas didn't even try to utilize Gray in the spring game (Strong was cautious with most of our important players). But hey, the aggy has a good read on a player that hardly played in the spring game.

That's why discussing these things with aggys is totally worthless. Texas didn't even try to utilize Gray in the spring game (Strong was cautious with most of our important players). But hey, the aggy has a good read on a player that hardly played in the spring game.

So you think Gray looks like the same kid he was when he came out of highschool? Its not a knock the kid snapped his achilles and is still clearly not back to 100%. I've seen plenty of people stating that Foreman was the best running back in the spring game, why do you think that is? Do you think hes a better running back? Do you think he should be starting over Gray? Share your thoughts and opinions on a football subject.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT