ADVERTISEMENT

ND line down to -3.5

I wrote out a long detailed post yesterday, then deleted it because who cares? Lol

To summarize it without boring you to death (because I can do that):

Graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine in 2009.
Served in AF Special Duty Assignment from '97-'05.
Co-Founder of Indy Boxing & Grappling.

Sent the info to the Sports Medicine Director at the National Institute for Fitness and Sports (NIFS) here in Indy. Not only is he a medical doctor, he trumps me because he is the sports medicine director who works with Olympic & World Class endurance athletes.

He says all the talk & "facts" said on here is "a lot of mumbo jumbo that is only relevant in severe cases."
He said "an increase of 10 degrees when over 55 degrees will cause a decrease in performance by 1.5% in an average athlete."
"Since both teams will have a decrease, Texas may start the decrease a few minutes later. They might have a .5% performance advantage. So pretty much none."

He said all the other talk is just people speaking out their rears trying to sound smart.
He said if anyone would like the actual medical guidelines feel free to contact NIFS.

You can all believe whatever you like, but according to one of the nation's top sports medicine doctors the conditions will not be severe enough to cause an advantage over a half a percent. All the other junk we are spewing is just a bunch of people trying to sound smart. (Which he already knows I am not, lol).

That is my final comment about this since he has made it clear to me I am being stupid & wasting my time. So count me out on this subject moving forward.

Your doctor buddy is correct but he doesn't quite understand the research or is misapplying it to the current discussion. The 1.5% is accurate for steady state aerobic performance. But it makes sense since he is an endurance guy. Football is not an endurance sport and aerobic capacity is not really a major factor in performance on the field. Aerobic fitness helps with recovery between short high intensity sprints so in the heat it might take a guy a few more seconds to recover from a sprint. The truth is the heat doesn't really affect anaerobic performance and fit guys shouldn't have any problem recovering from repeated sprints of 5-15 yards with a 15-30 second recovery interval. That's why no on on this broad is saying that the heat will give us a performance related advantage.

What you need to go is go back to your Dr. friend and ask him about sweats role in maintaining core temperature in the heat, how much cooling sweat provides at a given humidity level and how the composition of sweat changes due to acclimation of exertion in the heat. Then you need to ask about aldostorne sensitivity and how it alters the concentration of sodium in sweat. You also need to ask about the sodium re-absorption in the small intestine and the factors that would limit some peoples ability to absorb sodium from electrolyte drinks. Then ask him if guys are at a greater risk of craps if they are training in 80-85 degree weather and then are asked to perform in 95-100 degree weather.

But then again I am just talking out of my ass. I am just a dumb exercise science professor at a little catholic university of the west side of San Antonio. Most of my kids are going to be coaches and teachers in Texas schools and in Texas schools our fall sports kids don't need to worry about exercising in the heat. So when I teach exercise physiology or strength and conditioning classes I just talk out of my ass because my students don't really need to know this stuff.

They might have a .5% performance advantage
50246-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-toCD.jpeg

I wrote out a long detailed post yesterday, then deleted it because who cares? Lol

To summarize it without boring you to death (because I can do that):

Graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine in 2009.
Served in AF Special Duty Assignment from '97-'05.
Co-Founder of Indy Boxing & Grappling.

Sent the info to the Sports Medicine Director at the National Institute for Fitness and Sports (NIFS) here in Indy. Not only is he a medical doctor, he trumps me because he is the sports medicine director who works with Olympic & World Class endurance athletes.

He says all the talk & "facts" said on here is "a lot of mumbo jumbo that is only relevant in severe cases."
He said "an increase of 10 degrees when over 55 degrees will cause a decrease in performance by 1.5% in an average athlete."
"Since both teams will have a decrease, Texas may start the decrease a few minutes later. They might have a .5% performance advantage. So pretty much none."

He said all the other talk is just people speaking out their rears trying to sound smart.
He said if anyone would like the actual medical guidelines feel free to contact NIFS.

You can all believe whatever you like, but according to one of the nation's top sports medicine doctors the conditions will not be severe enough to cause an advantage over a half a percent. All the other junk we are spewing is just a bunch of people trying to sound smart. (Which he already knows I am not, lol).

That is my final comment about this since he has made it clear to me I am being stupid & wasting my time. So count me out on this subject moving forward.

I wonder if said "expert" was taking in to consideration mental aspets that would playing right along with the physical aspects the entire time.... you're getting smashed in the mouth repeatedly and are hot and wore out.... do you have the mental fortitude to step up your game or do you fold and just do enough to finith the game.... all it takes is a bad play or 2 from a cpl players to throw mindsets in the gutter as the heat pounds your team.... then it is like dominos....

think about it.. how much of performance is mental focus and acuity? Especially in football.....

Your doctor buddy is correct but he doesn't quite understand the research or is misapplying it to the current discussion. The 1.5% is accurate for steady state aerobic performance. But it makes sense since he is an endurance guy. Football is not an endurance sport and aerobic capacity is not really a major factor in performance on the field. Aerobic fitness helps with recovery between short high intensity sprints so in the heat it might take a guy a few more seconds to recover from a sprint. The truth is the heat doesn't really affect anaerobic performance and fit guys shouldn't have any problem recovering from repeated sprints of 5-15 yards with a 15-30 second recovery interval. That's why no on on this broad is saying that the heat will give us a performance related advantage.

What you need to go is go back to your Dr. friend and ask him about sweats role in maintaining core temperature in the heat, how much cooling sweat provides at a given humidity level and how the composition of sweat changes due to acclimation of exertion in the heat. Then you need to ask about aldostorne sensitivity and how it alters the concentration of sodium in sweat. You also need to ask about the sodium re-absorption in the small intestine and the factors that would limit some peoples ability to absorb sodium from electrolyte drinks. Then ask him if guys are at a greater risk of craps if they are training in 80-85 degree weather and then are asked to perform in 95-100 degree weather.

But then again I am just talking out of my ass. I am just a dumb exercise science professor at a little catholic university of the west side of San Antonio. Most of my kids are going to be coaches and teachers in Texas schools and in Texas schools our fall sports kids don't need to worry about exercising in the heat. So when I teach exercise physiology or strength and conditioning classes I just talk out of my ass because my students don't really need to know this stuff.

:eek:
I say this a lot, especially in the science relm. Everyone has an answer. They use fancy words and numbers to make sound good.
He gave an answer.
You demolished his answer unlike anything I've seen year to date. Oh the benefits of actually knowing what you're talking about.

Decision:
Heat argument over. It will be a problem - as we've seen every year with multiple teams.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
I still laugh when I see someone say the temp will start dropping when the sun goes down.

For fit guys the heat really won't affect performance. It will however increase the risk of cramping. It will increase the risk a bit more for the ND guys. That's all I have been saying. Never thought I would get so much push back. Seems like common sense for those of us who played and coached football in this state.

Reactions: TexExSpur
when Jimmy Johnsos took over coaching the Cowboys he immediately moved the training camp from California to Austin....because he thought the only way you could really get into shape was by training in the heat. Maybe he really knew something....maybe he didnt. I started talking about all this heat just to make a dig on Decker. I doubt it really is a factor, but I bet this....on the plane ride back to South Bend, those Domers are gonna say....damn!...it was hot there.

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but can anyone point out a game where the heat was a significant advantage for Texas? I just don't remember any games when a significant factor was the other team losing players because of heat issues.

funny you say that......most of the early games we have here are with teams from Texas .....regardless...a ND poster on Horn sports says that the team is practicing with only non iced water to drink and has all misters on the prectice field turned off and fans only on low speed to get them ready for the heat. Like I said...I just started talking about the heat to rag on Decker and he took it serious. In all reality I doubt the heat plays a big role, It will be just as hot on both sides of the field.

except that our side will be in the shade.....hmmmmm...

BREAKING: #NotreDame sophomore tight end Alizé Jones will miss the 2016 season.
irishsportsdaily.com/2016/08/03/bre…

ND just lost one of those 9 returning starters to academics.

As a true SO he was going to start over one Durham Smythe (remember him of the decommit to UT?)

The TE was second on the team in players with returning catches. He had 19 receptions last year. Their leading returning guy was Torii Hunter Jr who had 28 catches last year.

I am sure they have young talent, but that is pretty green for a pass catching crew.

Last edited:
Huge blow, disregard anything Irish fanboys "try" to tell you! Could have played WR as well, one of their very best and the starting TE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT