ADVERTISEMENT

New format is a piece of crap.

There are a lot of features I like about it and not much I don't. The old board software was worthless. I don't get the hate for the new format.

Agreed. I just got back into civilization and I see the new forum and at first I'm like, "did some stupid aggy hack our rivals site?"

I'm not a big fan. Granted, this was the first forum I'd ever joined but, I guess I got used to the old format.

Not too bad. I do agree the comment boxes could be a little smaller but that's just a minor detail.

I just got back from a long trip and I don't really care for the new format. I will pick it up, but I miss the old one. Maybe my biggest gripe is that I dont recognize the new avatars.

lack of contrast, too much empty space and bad spacing/wasted space in general

I agree but, definitely fixable. I like the general format. I really like the "Quote Box". It is easier and will make the look more consistent when replying to a specific post among different users. I hope there is an upgrade where they can reduce such a thick box per post. The old format would allow us to see several posts in one screen shot. The new format only allows one or two posts per screent shot. I like seeing more posts in one shot so I can scan through the decent posts a little faster.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
The contrast/spacing issues are small potatoes to me compared to the advantages:

(1) Auto-saves posts as you type
(2) Quote box
(3) Skips to first unread post when you open a thread
(4) Clear indicator on the main page whether or not you've posted in a given thread
(5) Collapses quotes when people replying to each other annoyingly continue to quote the entire conversation
(6) In that vein, "reply" only quotes last post; "quote" quotes all quoted posts
(7) Ability to subscribe to a thread
(8) Far better on a mobile
(9) Much faster and more stable software
(10) "Report" button will be useful once Ketch, Taylor, et al. sort out MM's moderator access
(11) An actual working search function

There are other things I'm forgetting to mention. I would like posters' names to appear much more prominently and the generic avatars to appear much less prominently (everyone really needs to get an avatar so we don't have to look at dozens of orange and white heads), but I'm betting that some adjustments can be made to contrast and spacing -- and, regardless, the advantages far outweigh those concerns for me.

You would be hard-pressed to find crappier message board software running today than what Rivals had been keeping on life-support for the last decade.

Last edited:
The contrast/spacing issues are small potatoes to me compared to the advantages:

(2) Quote box
(4) Clear indicator on the main page whether you've posted in a given thread
(5) Collapses quotes when people replying to each other annoying continue to quote the entire conversation
(6) In that vein, "reply" only quotes last post; "quote" quotes all quoted posts.
(8) Far better on mobile
(10) "Report" button will be useful once Ketch, Taylor, et al. sort out MM's moderator access

There are other things I'm forgetting to mention. I would like posters' names to appear much more prominently and the generic avatars to appear much less prominently (everyone really needs to get an avatar so we don't have to look at dozens of orange and white heads), but I'm betting that some adjustments can be made to contrast and spacing -- and, regardless, the advantages far outweigh those concerns for me.

You would be hard-pressed to find crappier message board software running today than what Rivals had been keeping on life-support for the last decade.

Yep

^^ well put.

being able to embed a tweet, and presumably other social media, directly is another plus.

Hook 'em

on the other hand, the new format has rendered the homepage completely useless. I can no longer look up anything from it as I don't subscribe to the premium site. Anything I click on just sends me to the " pay here" site..
Oh well!

(2) Quote box
(4) Clear indicator on the main page whether or not you've posted in a given thread
(5) Collapses quotes when people replying to each other annoyingly continue to quote the entire conversation
(6) In that vein, "reply" only quotes last post; "quote" quotes all quoted posts

Thanks for the extended explanation. I'll cooperate and be working on an avatar to get rid of my Orange circle.

(2) Quote box

The ignore feature is much better under this format. Probably this best upgrade, lmao.

I'm guessing MM hasn't received his ban privileges back yet, because it's still terrible around here. 2 or 3 new trolls each day.

Because of the fact that I can now get no information whatever from the home page I dont like this new format. However, my biggest objection to it is since its inception, this forum has become deadly boring

Guys, I didn't want to say anything at the time the new software was implemented, but I had no ability to delete, lock, ban, etc. It took a while to get things sorted out, but finally I have the ability to do these things now. I have banned several aggy trolls this morning and realize that there are plenty more that need to be weeded out. I will prune out the trouble makers now going forward.

Hook'em!

Guys, I didn't want to say anything at the time the new software was implemented, but I had no ability to delete, lock, ban, etc. It took a while to get things sorted out, but finally I have the ability to do these things now. I have banned several aggy trolls this morning and realize that there are plenty more that need to be weeded out. I will prune out the trouble makers now going forward.

Hook'em!

Most excellent news this fine morning! Hook'em

Most excellent news this fine morning! Hook'em

Hook'em!

Excellent! :D

Question: does the "report" button send stuff directly to you, or do the reports just end up lost in Ketch's/Taylor's inboxes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT