ADVERTISEMENT

New staff rumors

The only person I've heard that I don't really like is Orlando. The more I seen of Houston's D the less impressed I was with him.

The same Orlando whose defenses utterly punked FSU, OU, and Louisville (the last two currently being ranked 2nd and 1st nationally in scoring, respectively)? The same Orlando who has shut down mobile QBs in ways that Texas fans have so far only been able to dream of seeing?

When Orlando's starters have been healthy, which often wasn't the case this year -- and when rumors of Herman's imminent departure aren't being shouted through media bullhorns, as happened both in the middle and at the end of this season -- his defenses have been impressive. They tackle well, they shed blocks well, they're physical, and they take good angles.

I'd have absolutely zero problem with Orlando coming here, and I've yet to see a well-reasoned argument ("His name's not Aranda!!!" doesn't count) for why he'd be a bad choice.

Edit: Looks like this ground has already been well-covered.

Last edited:
How else are we suppose to judge how a defense and a DC has preformed if not by the points given up? Last I checked the object was to give up as few points as possible.

And it's not so much the points. It's who. I mean when your giving up a lot of points despite having better talent than that team. It's a concern. I just don't think Orlando would be a good hire.

But you're still disqualifying every DC that's ever coached.

When was the last time Alabama played a game and wasn't more talented than their opponent? That doesn't mean they've held every single team they've faced to 10 points. In fact, they've been lit up multiple times in recent years. I'm not ready to question Nick Saban though.

Not that I'm pushing for Orlando, just pointing out you seem to have an impossible standard.

Reactions: swVAHorn
How else are we suppose to judge how a defense and a DC has preformed if not by the points given up? Last I checked the object was to give up as few points as possible.

And it's not so much the points. It's who. I mean when your giving up a lot of points despite having better talent than that team. It's a concern. I just don't think Orlando would be a good hire.
This is why Strong is gone....I am not lying about anything. You give your qualifications and everyone tells you that it is beyond ignorant and you just say that is not what you meant and change it to mean something else. Either stand up for what you say or don't say it. I am not the only one noticing how you post by the way.

Actually the object is to score more points than they score.....but carry on.

So Jesus then? You want Jesus? Because that's going to only guy in the country that meets your criteria.

well ryan_sublett.....TEXAS lost to what I consider a lesser team in Kansas.....FREAKING KANSAS!!! So I guess in your perfect world beating Baylor and losing to Kansas......is much better than beating OU....FSU....Louisville and losing to SMU. and let's not factor in that the talent at TEXAS is better than that of Houston. Hell I'm not sure Charlie's coaching would have fared any better against those teams Houston lost to this year.......even with the talent disparity.

So Jesus then? You want Jesus? Because that's going to only guy in the country that meets your criteria.

To be fair, even Jesus ran into trouble when he had to go up against a tough Roman Legion squad that really hadn't been tested since the 9 A.D. season when Coach Varus lost his head to a stout German team. Now in that final season with Jesus at the helm, (sometime between the 30 and 33 A.D. seasons, RCAA records aren't complete) while the nascent Christian team did wonders in conference play, a lack of depth wore them down. Of course Jesus also had to contend with Judas Iscariot, a transfer from Okie or Aggie, again the records aren't clear. That had to be a major distraction from game prep...

To be fair, even Jesus ran into trouble when he had to go up against a tough Roman Legion squad that really hadn't been tested since the 9 A.D. season when Coach Varus lost his head to a stout German team. Now in that final season with Jesus at the helm, (sometime between the 30 and 33 A.D. seasons, RCAA records aren't complete) while the nascent Christian team did wonders in conference play, a lack of depth wore them down. Of course Jesus also had to contend with Judas Iscariot, a transfer from Okie or Aggie, again the records aren't clear. That had to be a major distraction from game prep...

So your saying Jesus isn't good enough for ryan_sublett? What are we going to do?

Also, let's not forget. Jesus had 12 walk-ons plus a donkey against the million 5 star recruits of the Romans. Maybe we should hire this Jesus guy.

I don't know his contract status but might be worth seeing if we could get Tony Gibson from West Virgina. His defense has been really good against big 12 teams

I think I prefer Todd Orlando's work on the best offense in our league to Gibson's. OU scored more on WVU's home field in under 20 minutes they did all game against UH.

OU then proceeded to run at will on Gibson's 3-3-5 for the rest of the game.

I think I prefer Todd Orlando's work on the best offense in our league to Gibson's. OU scored more on WVU's home field in under 20 minutes they did all game against UH.

OU then proceeded to run at will on Gibson's 3-3-5 for the rest of the game.
I think judging coaches by one game is pretty dangerous. After all the only reason Strong was the HC this year is because he beat OU last year.

I'm not judging him by one game. It's just the one common opponent between the two schools, and it's worrisome that WVU's looked so utterly clueless against our archrival's offense in a night game in Morgantown.

Somewhat in response to your point, though, I also think it's dangerous to judge a coach by his defense's performance amid an externally-generated distraction as massive as the media's declaration that the head coach is on his way to another school.

I'm not judging him by one game. It's just the one common opponent between the two schools, and it's worrisome that WVU's looked so utterly clueless against our archrival's offense in a night game in Morgantown.

Somewhat in response to your point, though, I also think it's dangerous to judge a coach by his defense's performance amid an externally-generated distraction as massive as the media's declaration that the head coach is on his way to another school.
I think you make a fair point about distractions and all that. Something I've never disputed. It just feels like all of the bad Houston performances are being explained away by this or that but they get all the credit in the world for the big wins against OU, Louisville, and FSU. And every candidate we talk about for his staff gets his resume picked apart.

I don't think Orlando will be the guy anyway. It was reported long before we hired Herman that Orlando probably wouldn't follow him wherever he went. Just saying that when evaluating a coach I think we should look at the whole not just pick here and there.

I know I've been labeled as anti Herman and that's fine. It's not true but it doesn't change my life any so whoever can think whatever they want. I've just noticed that we are kind of explaing away the negitive and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

By the way is it at all possible that OU just had better players than WV?

Reactions: BJ70 and freeper
I have no idea what will happen with the DC position, but there are still sources saying that Orlando is the likely choice if he doesn't get the Cougar High HC job.

By the way is it at all possible that OU just had better players than WV?

Of course. But don't you imagine that a substantial majority of OU's players were also more highly recruited than Houston's?

I have no idea what will happen with the DC position, but there are still sources saying that Orlando is the likely choice if he doesn't get the Cougar High HC job.

Of course. But don't you imagine that a substantial majority of OU's players were also more highly recruited than Houston's?
Yeah probably. But I'm sure the Houston kids were up for that gsme playing against HS teammates and rivals plus wanting to stick it to OU for not offering.

Also teams improve as the season goes along(or the good ones do). USC probably doesn't lose 56-3 against Bama today. They probably still,lose but not get blown out.

Yeah probably. But I'm sure the Houston kids were up for that gsme playing against HS teammates and rivals plus wanting to stick it to OU for not offering.

Also teams improve as the season goes along(or the good ones do). USC probably doesn't lose 56-3 against Bama today. They probably still,lose but not get blown out.
You say all of us are "explaining away the negative" while the whole time you are explaining away the positive....you really don't see it do you?

Initially seemed like it was a done deal w/ Orlando as HC.. not so fast, reporters/announcers at the Alabama game last night were all of the thought Kniffin to UH head coach. Fairly certain a time frame was mentioned when Kniffen would be meeting with the powers-to-be.

So, Who is the slam dunk folks? You aren't buying the best, it's not happening, they don't just pick up and leave a good job because Texas comes calling, it's easier to wait out their next big gig as an HC or to the NFL. Arnada didn't want to move, will end up in the NFL and just got paid. why would Venables leave?

Orlando calls quarters and he knows how to defend the Big12/spread offense, I'd love to see what he can do with Texas' players.

Last edited:
Burton:

The Texas football staff is far from complete. The Horns are still waiting to hire an offensive coordinator/QB coach, a running backs coach, a wide receivers coach, a defensive coordinator/linebackers coach and a safeties coach.

I firmly believe that Herman is simply waiting for Houston's season to finish - the Cougars found out yesterday that their bowl game is on Dec. 17 - before hiring both Major Applewhite and Todd Orlando as the Horns' offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively.

Despite any public responses of uncertainty, I continue to be told that Applewhite would be welcome back to Texas.

We mentioned last week that Texas could be waiting for Stan Drayton, the RB coach for the Chicago Bears, to finish out the regular season with the Bears.

Drayton is known as a very good recruiter, and has coached at Florida and Ohio State in a similar style of offense.

Jeff Howe reported on Saturday that Texas could also be interested in Iowa State RB coach Lou Ayeni for the same role at Texas.

I'm told that Alabama OC Lane Kiffin is the leading candidate to replace Herman at the University of Houston. Such a move would free up Applewhite and Orlando, both of whom are interviewing for the head coaching position at Houston, to move to Texas after the Cougars' bowl game.

I also expect Cougars safeties coach Craig Naivar to join the Longhorns' staff in the same role following the bowl game.

If Orlando, Naivar, Applewhite and Drayton/Ayeni are hired, it leaves just one spot available on the new staff and that's wide receivers coach.

I haven't heard many names for the position quite yet. However, one to watch is Mississippi State receivers coach Billy Gonzales. Gonzales coached receivers for Urban Meyer at Florida and has worked under Dan Mullen, another Meyer protege, for the last four years in Starkville.

Scholz, I think your thoughts are correct that herman will hire his OC and DC from Houston and heard Fenves remarked that Applewhite is cleared and is in good standing with University.Houston bowl game is DEC 17 so things should start popping after that date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scholz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT