ADVERTISEMENT

OB iPad experience pretty bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

krelldoggy

Jul 26, 2006
Seattle, Washington
A few points for the OB team.

1. There are a LOT of iPads out there and it is growng faster than than any other device.

2. Spend some time on OB with an iPad. It's not great.

3. Most obviously the the flash video does not work, which inhibits ads and the user experience greatly. There are simple free alternatives to flash, the 24x7 videos look fantastic on the iPad, why can't you guys compete?

4. There is an extremely annoying thing about the way OB pages render on the iPad, that causes a page to jump just as I try to click a link, usually making me click the wrong thing.

I'm not asking for a native app (although that would be great), I just wish someone would pay attentiion to what is now a major platform. I do the bulk of my OB reading on this device, and it is absolutely great for most things, but these annoyances have me thinking of going elsewhere.

Thanks

Originally posted by krelldoggy:

4. There is an extremely annoying thing about the way OB pages render on the iPad, that causes a page to jump just as I try to click a link, usually making me click the wrong thing.

This happens off ipad as well. I believe it is some ads loading slow and finally loading causing the message board to shift down. pain in the arse.

A few points for the OB team.

1. There are a LOT of iPads out there and it is growng faster than than any other device.

2. Spend some time on OB with an iPad. It's not great.

3. Most obviously the the flash video does not work, which inhibits ads and the user experience greatly. There are simple free alternatives to flash, the 24x7 videos look fantastic on the iPad, why can't you guys compete?

I'm not asking for a native app (although that would be great), I just wish someone would pay attentiion to what is now a major platform. I do the bulk of my OB reading on this device, and it is absolutely great for most things, but these annoyances have me thinking of going elsewhere.

Thanks

the ads not working would be a plus, right? Maybe I should think about getting one of these.

a native app would probably be started top down by rivals, not just by ketch and OB, but I'm sure everyone would obviously love to see one. Its the difference in reading a magazine on iPad from a company that basically PDFs their print copy, and something like what esquire does, where everything is interactive with videos and interviews etc.

Don't have an iPad yet, but I will agree that the Rivals videos suck. Always seem to take longer to load and often have trouble viewing them. I think the video needs an upgrade in a major way.

The page jump issues drives me batty and would be my number 1 reason to get the ipad 2(I'm not getting it), faster load times

Gtfo off with your complaints. There isn't anything wrong with the overall experience of this site.

Originally posted by moblack82:
Gtfo off with your complaints. There isn't anything wrong with the overall experience of this site.

Substantively, you are correct. Technologically, you are way off the mark.

Generally speaking.

Yeah, that might be a little bit of an overreaction unless my sarcasm meter isn't working today.

And then there's moblack...

GTFO off? That is kinda funny.

I listed things that ARE wrong with the experience, this is a great community (the movie thread proves it...), but the technology has been ignored since I joined.

Time to step up your game Rivals/Orangebloods!

-Just got out of hibernating for couple of decades.

Content is top-notch but technology needs upgrade IMO.

Guys I'm being funny. The forum software is dated and I agree with the OP. On my iPad the page always renders when I open up other pages.

Guys I'm being funny. The forum software is dated and I agree with the OP. On my iPad the page always renders when I open up other pages.

Thanks moblack, I always suspected you were an Apple hipster!

Originally posted by etauch:

You might have lost him.

Substantively, you are correct. Technologically, you are way off the mark.

Generally speaking.

The 'Flash issue' is a non-issue. I have found very few instances where the lack of Flash support has caused me any annoyance with the iPad.

Any 'inconvenience' that I might have experienced was over shadowed by the extreme convenience that is the iPad.

Is it perfect? No, but what is?

I have never been able to successfully view a rivals video on anything. Don't know what they are doing, but it's not working.

Originally posted by BeerIsFood:
The 'Flash issue' is a non-issue. I have found very few instances where the lack of Flash support has caused me any annoyance with the iPad.

Any 'inconvenience' that I might have experienced was over shadowed by the extreme convenience that is the iPad.

Was talking about OB, rather than iPad. Any arguments about the iPad are pretty much moot, it is a huge thing and every kind of site had better support well or get passed by. And the iPad will never run flash, which makes flash a dead technology walking.

the most annoying thing is say when you're flipping through various windows in safari, and come back to OB, it loads the page again but doesnt update, just loads the dated information a second time. very annoying, not sure how to fix that.

Originally posted by BeerIsFood:

Was talking about OB, rather than iPad. Any arguments about the iPad are pretty much moot, it is a huge thing and every kind of site had better support well or get passed by. And the iPad will never run flash, which makes flash a dead technology walking.

Natively, yes. But there are some great apps that run flash just fine and work great for me on the rare occasion I actually need it.

Flash has been "dead walking" for some time, though, and it's not just because Apple fell out of love. I know a lot of companies who were only using flash because they had to and are more than fine jumping to the first available, market-wide option and feel no loyalty to flash at all.

I tried the flash-enabled browser on the iPad (Skyfire?) and the experience was inconsistent at best. Easy to see why Apple decided to put a stake in flash's heart.

Am late to the iPad game. This thing is the freaking bomb. I was an extreme hater before. Prediction. Everyone on this site will have an iPad like tablet by 2015? I feel like the site could use a native app but it's fine without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT