ADVERTISEMENT

OB iPad experience pretty bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Market wide option and Apple don't go together

Originally posted by Good.Shepherd:
Originally posted by krelldoggy:
Originally posted by BeerIsFood:
The 'Flash issue' is a non-issue. I have found very few instances where the lack of Flash support has caused me any annoyance with the iPad.

Any 'inconvenience' that I might have experienced was over shadowed by the extreme convenience that is the iPad.

Is it perfect? No, but what is?

Was talking about OB, rather than iPad. Any arguments about the iPad are pretty much moot, it is a huge thing and every kind of site had better support well or get passed by. And the iPad will never run flash, which makes flash a dead technology walking.

Natively, yes. But there are some great apps that run flash just fine and work great for me on the rare occasion I actually need it.

Flash has been "dead walking" for some time, though, and it's not just because Apple fell out of love. I know a lot of companies who were only using flash because they had to and are more than fine jumping to the first available, market-wide option and feel no loyalty to flash at all.

The 'Flash issue' is a non-issue. I have found very few instances where the lack of Flash support has caused me any annoyance with the iPad.

Any 'inconvenience' that I might have experienced was over shadowed by the extreme convenience that is the iPad.

Was talking about OB, rather than iPad. Any arguments about the iPad are pretty much moot, it is a huge thing and every kind of site had better support well or get passed by. And the iPad will never run flash, which makes flash a dead technology walking.

Natively, yes. But there are some great apps that run flash just fine and work great for me on the rare occasion I actually need it.

Flash has been "dead walking" for some time, though, and it's not just because Apple fell out of love. I know a lot of companies who were only using flash because they had to and are more than fine jumping to the first available, market-wide option and feel no loyalty to flash at all.

I've found so much of what I browse online has some sort of flash on it and thus doesn't work on my iPhone or iPod touch I had before the phone. I didn't realize it until I browsed from there and it has been a huge pain. I don't get why they can have a flash plugin for these things. It seems like such a simple little fix and no one is willing to do it. With these things being so popular, it drives me nuts. I know Android OS was working to get flash if they haven't already.

Its a technical issue not a business rivalry with Adobe. Flash is just bad technology for mobile devices and better alternatives exist. Flash sucks on Android and anywhere else that is not a full laptop or workstation. It can really suck on those too. Apple is killing it because it creates a bad experience for their users, beyond their control to fix.

Websites (like OB) need to get off their asses and get on the free alternatives that work.

If you were on the list, you'd be beta testing the OB iPad app already.

Now you are just f-ing with me...

Originally posted by NotBeowulf:
If you were on the list, you'd be beta testing the OB iPad app already.

3dgrin.gif

You are right tho I wish OB in general would get out of the early 90s. Forum website and iPad/iPhone integration both.

Originally posted by moblack82:
Market wide option and Apple don't go together

HTML5, for a start. Others will come, too.

I like this site but it is inexplicable to me that in the 8 years I have been here the forum software has never improved a bit.

Hard to believe a startup could do it and not an established site owned by Yahoo.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Videos rarely load on my iPhone & occasionally not on my home Mac desktop. I'd love a tech upgrade on the site. A native app for iPad would have me on the way to the store after work as I tire of the size of the iPhone screen combined with the other tech limitations.

I want to see Moblack's rants fully rendered! :)

Posted from my damn tiny iPhone! :)

Originally posted by PDX Horn:
I like this site but it is inexplicable to me that in the 8 years I have been here the forum software has never improved a bit.

Hard to believe a startup could do it and not an established site owned by Yahoo.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

Shouldn't this have been one of the first things Yahoo did after they purchased Rivals? I mean, gosh, they're owned by a software company.

If Admin had basic knowledge of a forum he could easily load a phpb board. Or whatever the popular board software is.

Some interesting points in the thread. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on discussing some of these issues with Yahoo this week.

Originally posted by ppchj98:
Am late to the iPad game. This thing is the freaking bomb. I was an extreme hater before. Prediction. Everyone on this site will have an iPad like tablet by 2015? I feel like the site could use a native app but it's fine without one.
90% on this site will own an ipad or equivalent earlier than that. Agree with OP on every point. This from a Corporate IT brainwashed PC convert. Come on OB, you need to get out from behind the curve.

What happened to the software update that was announced last year?

I got my Dell Streak less than a week ago. It's a 5" pad running Android that also makes phone calls. So far I am more than pleased with the browsing speed and video capabilities. I'm currently on AT&T's 3G but they are due to have 4G in the Austin area later this year.

Now if Netflix had an app for Droid...

I've had the iPad 2 for 2 weeks now, and I haven't had any problem whatsoever with this site. I'm actually pretty happy with the speed and colors of the site. Not sure what the complaint is about.

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Some interesting points in the thread. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on discussing some of these issues with Yahoo this week.

Awesome. So, will communications be taking place via Morse Code or smoke signals?
roll.gif

@rendavis25 I'm working on the iPhone app. We want to get it in your hands as soon as possible, but we also want it to kick ass. It takes time to get it right. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Gonzo26:
I've had the iPad 2 for 2 weeks now, and I haven't had any problem whatsoever with this site. I'm actually pretty happy with the speed and colors of the site. Not sure what the complaint is about.

uh huh i rather surf the website on my phone without the rendering

Originally posted by pasotex:
I have not had any of these issue beyond the known flash issue.

I agree. I surf OB nightly on my iPad and ,outside of the flash player, don't have any problems at all. Pages load just fine.

Originally posted by spudnik187:
@rendavis25 I'm working on the iPhone app. We want to get it in your hands as soon as possible, but we also want it to kick ass. It takes time to get it right. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Thanks for an actual update. Looking forward to it.

Finally someone knows the angst I go through on a daily basis with the page jump. This could be a thread of its own. How many times do you accidentally hit "New Poll" when trying to hit a thread. It's maddening!
This post was edited on 3/28 10:41 PM by jshorn

There are so many other fundamental issues with this web-site's technology - I think iPad formatting is pretty far down on the list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT