ADVERTISEMENT

**OFFICIAL Texas vs T Boone Garth Mullet football thread**

The problem was continuing to run the damn zone read when everyone on the field knows Quinn was not going to run. The only reason to put in Card would have been to give the zone read a chance with both the rb and qb being a threat to run. Otherwise, ditch the zone read and call more quick hitting run plays.

The problem was continuing to run the damn zone read when everyone on the field knows Quinn was not going to run. The only reason to put in Card would have been to give the zone read a chance with both the rb and qb being a threat to run. Otherwise, ditch the zone read and call more quick hitting run plays.

I don't remember any zone read. They ran a bunch of RPO stuff and counter. Counter doesn't work real well when the other team run blitzes. At least those were the issues I saw.

They don't run any zone read concepts. I think you're talking about the RPO's possibly?

I don't remember any zone read. They ran a bunch of RPO stuff and counter. Counter doesn't work real well when the other team run blitzes. At least those were the issues I saw.
The counter was working really well in the first half but they started blitzing and shutting that counter down later in the game.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I see some chatter on other sites that Sark should have benched Ewers at some point in the second half and put Card in. I think Sark did the right thing and left him in to see if he would snap out of it. You don't pull your starter and flip flop back and forth because that leaves doubt in future games. Throw an interception, get pulled, make a bad read, pull him. Card may have come in and moved the offense but Ewers could have snapped out of it as well. He ultimately didn't until the last drive but hindsight is 20/20. What do you think?
I had initially thought Sark should have thought to make some kind of change or even just wildcat for a play or two. However, I watched Ketch and Anwar’s overeaction monday youtube show and I thought Ketch laid it out really well. There was a lot of details, so I don’t even want to try and attempt to summarize. After watching, it was enough to convince me that Sark did the right thing of keeping Ewers in. The play calling was something that could have helped, but that was talked about extensively in the video. These are long shows and I never think I will watch all of it, but I play it over my car speakers as i commute and I end up hearing the content over a couple days.

The counter was working really well in the first half but they started blitzing and shutting that counter down later in the game.

I don't remember any stretch zone...or what USC used to call Student body left/right. No counter, pulls, etc. Just toss the damn thing to Bijan and let him find the hole in space.

I would also like to see Texas in their 13 personnel and run off tackle with Bijan. Use some reformation motion, etc. to get defenders our of leverage.

I don't remember any stretch zone...or what USC used to call Student body left/right. No counter, pulls, etc. Just toss the damn thing to Bijan and let him find the hole in space.

I would also like to see Texas in their 13 personnel and run off tackle with Bijan. Use some reformation motion, etc. to get defenders our of leverage.
Against Iowa State they ran a lot of unbalanced formations and had success like that. I haven’t had a chance to go back and watch the OSU game again to see what really went wrong in the 2nd half. This guy does a good job of highlighting the good and bad stuff they did. It’s worth a watch.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Against Iowa State they ran a lot of unbalanced formations and had success like that. I haven’t had a chance to go back and watch the OSU game again to see what really went wrong in the 2nd half. This guy does a good job of highlighting the good and bad stuff they did. It’s worth a watch.

I can’t watch that game again 😂

I don't remember seeing a bunch of motion in the second half or up tempo. We play up tempo in the first half and slice through teams like butter, then with a lead in the second half go to a clock control offense. They also saw that Quinn couldn't connect on anything deep so they brought everyone up.

Reactions: Hoookem722
I don't remember seeing a bunch of motion in the second half or up tempo. We play up tempo in the first half and slice through teams like butter, then with a lead in the second half go to a clock control offense. They also saw that Quinn couldn't connect on anything deep so they brought everyone up.
They were having a ton of success with the up tempo stuff in the first half. Weird that they went away from it. It's a common theme for Sark to just abandon what is working in the 2nd half. Even on that last drive they were running up tempo and having success.

Reactions: DHHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT