ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding one of my photos of Texas

Hornius Emeritus

Traces of Texas
Jun 5, 2001
Old Mobeetie (NOT new Mobeetie; I ain't rich)
Some of you know that I have a Traces of Texas Facebook page and that my readers send me all kinds of historical photographs of Texas that I put up on the page. A couple of days ago I experienced a rather incredible coincidence regarding one of those photos and I thought that some of you might find it interesting. But first, the backstory:

In 2008 I was on a photo safari in East Texas when I stopped in the small, almost deserted town of Neches to see what I could photograph. There isn't much of anything left in Neches except a strip of old, abandoned stores. I looked around and really didn't see anything that looked interesting but I hate to go to the trouble of stopping somewhere and NOT taking a photo so I stuck my head into a window of one of the abandoned stores and took this shot:

i-t9L6QWX-X3.jpg

As you can see, the floors are heaving up and the ceiling is coming down. As I stood there I thought about the people who owned it and what they were like and what their dreams were and what happened to them and to their descendents. It's always sad for me to shoot scenes like this because I contemplate the huge effort it took to build a store like this and the hopes that were dashed when the owners finally had to abandon it. And it was hotter than hell outside and I remember standing there and asking myself why I was even taking the photo or why, in fact, I was driving around east Texas in the infernal heat ----- the usual kinds of questions I ask myself on about day 8 of a photo safari.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, one of my Facebook readers sent me the following photograph, which was taken in 1955. It shows THE EXACT SAME STORE with the exact same counter and shelves. If you look clearly, it's easily understood that they are the same place. Mind you, he sent this to me without ever seeing the above photo or knowing anything about it as I had never posted it anywhere. I stood in the window to the right of the window in this photo to take the above photo.

i-JgQCW5b-X3.jpg

So what are the odds of this happening? I mean, I take a photo in 2008 and, because it's so nondescript, drive away and forget about it. Then I start my Facebook a couple of years later. And then, a couple of years after that, I receive an email from somebody whom I've never met and it contains a photo of the owners of the store in the store back when the store was in operation.

But it gets weirder still. It turns out that the two people in this photograph are the great grandmother and the great uncle of one of our Orangebloods members. I'm not going to "out" him because it is not my place to do so but I think he might post on this thread and tell us himself.

Twilight zone, dudes! Twilight zone!

This post was edited on 3/11 10:10 PM by Hornius Emeritus

Re: OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding my photos of Texas

Your pictures and website are awesome. The stories behind them make them even more memorable...
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I'm guessing the product on the shelves is beyond its "use by" date.

That's all Great Stuff !! Good Share...........

I've spent a lot of time looking at your pictures Hornius with much glee. Not sure where these words came from but I think you get it. Thanks!

what is link to your website? I'd like to look at your photos...

That's one of my favorite things about old photos, especially at places that are still here today. You stand there with that old photo in your head or in your hand, and look at that spot and the young people in that ages old photo, knowing they are dead and gone, and wonder what they were talking about, where they went after that, what song was stuck in their head, etc. I graduated from Rice, and there are many of those opportunities around that campus with its age and distinctive architecture of buildings that are still in use and lots of old photos have been taken there in amongst those buildings.

I follow you on Facebook. Your photos and commentary have taught me more about Texas than Ms Davis did in 6th grade. but then again it wasn't her knowledge that I was paying attention to if you know what i mean. :)

This post was edited on 3/11 10:39 PM by blueorder36

What about the FB photo sent you directly back to a picture in 2008? I've looked at both and don't think I would make that connection tomorrow if I was asked to.

I was wondering when you were taking off for another Texas safari. Haven't heard of you taking off for quite some time.

Originally posted by blueorder36:
I follow you on Facebook. Your photos and commentary have taught me more about Texas than Ms Davis did in 6th grade. but then again it wasn't her knowledge that I was paying attention to if you know what i mean. :)

my moms maiden name is davis....she taught.

Good stuff. I always enjoy the photos you post on facebook

Are those dip/snuff cans on the second shelft right underneath the cans he's about to put in a bag? That's crazy. Red Seal is still around. Rooster Snuff? Those look like cans that you'd open with a can opener. Nothing like we have now

That is really some cool stuff.

I'm jealous as hell because every time (well at least 90%) my photos come out looking like crap.

I forgot to bookmark your Facebook page, so thanks for posting the name again.

Originally posted by snoop9928:
Originally posted by blueorder36:

my moms maiden name is davis....she taught.
party0029.r191677.gif

I'm the OB he is referring to. The woman is my great grandmother and was born in 1868 and grew up in some rough times after the civil war. She died in 1958 when I was 10. That store in Neches was started in1899 by my great grandparents. During the 50's, I spent 2-3 weeks there during each summer. To have the run of that awesome country store is as good a memory any young child could have. Her last year, she was partially paralyzed from a stroke. On Sunday, all her great grandchildren would go see her. I would pass by her bed and she would hold out her frail arm to shake my hand. She would say, " John, hitch your wagon to a star and you will get thar. " What a wonderful memory. It brings a tear to my eye as I type this.
My family came to Anderson County in 1839 and I'm fortunate to have had such strong and decent ancestors.

Re: OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding one of my photos of Te

Great story.

00Hookem00,

My guess is that since the picture that Orange T sent him was taken in the same town and was of an old store, he put 2 and 2 together and figured it must be the same building. Just a guess but that's probably the way it went down.

Awesome stuff. I need to join your FB page soon.

Originally posted by orange turdfrog:
I'm the OB he is referring to. The woman is my great grandmother and was born in 1868 and grew up in some rough times after the civil war. She died in 1958 when I was 10. That store in Neches was started in1899 by my great grandparents. During the 50's, I spent 2-3 weeks there during each summer. To have the run of that awesome country store is as good a memory any young child could have. Her last year, she was partially paralyzed from a stroke. On Sunday, all her great grandchildren would go see her. I would pass by her bed and she would hold out her frail arm to shake my hand. She would say, " John, hitch your wagon to a star and you will get thar. " What a wonderful memory. It brings a tear to my eye as I type this.
My family came to Anderson County in 1839 and I'm fortunate to have had such strong and decent ancestors.
Wow, very poignant, Orange tf.

I follow you on Facebook and LOVE your posts - this was a fascinating story btw. I do hope you do another Texas safari soon.

To orange t - fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Love that story, O.T. Reminds me of my Grandmother....

Great OP, and great followup by Turdfrog. Last week I posted that I'd leave OB if we ever started talking about sports too much, and posts like this are exactly why I feel that way.

beautiful.

Thanks both of you.

Originally posted by Hornius Emeritus
And it just got even stranger.

One of my readers just posted the following photo, which shows the man in the above photo as a young boy:

med_res

I am just freakin' floored. Amazed. Stunned etc....
I love this!! That's my Grandfathers store. As Turdfrog stated above, I also spent my summers in Neches at that store. I helped Paw Paw mark can goods with a grease pencil or got in Uncle Sams way chopping meat. Best was listening to all the old timers tell stories on the front porch. Thanks for sharing this.

Originally posted by orange turdfrog
Aunt Johnnie looked just like her. I miss those days cousin.

Reactions: TexasJiggerNaut
Great story ot. My uncle had a store similar to that one that I spent some time in during the summer when I was a kid. Don't you wish you could relive some of those good ole days. Thanks for starting the thread HE. Really enjoy your pics.

Great story. Love the photographic record and the work Jac does.

"Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man! "

Great stuff guys. Hornius, I love your work. Your pictures are fantastic and always get my attention. Your photos are great at face value. But, the stories behind them are equal in value. Man, should you decide to publish (maybe you have??) your work; you have a real Texas treasure on your hands. Keep them coming Hornius.

ADVERTISEMENT