ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Follow-up - our trip to London, with recs

aglassdarkly

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2003
Thanks to all who provided recs for our London trip a few months ago. We were there for about a week, probably had the best London weather in history - 50s to about 70, partly cloudy, occ full sun, only prob 30 min total drizzle. Was wonderful.
Flight - Did the BA non stop from Austin. 4 hr delay due to ? computer issue. Luckily we had no connection, others were less patient. We paid for premium economy, got more room, slightly more niceties. I recommend. The full 6-10k lay flat business pods looked fun but not worth that. (I know lots of ballers on here for whom that is not a concern ....). But the extra leg room vs economy was huge for us.
Arrival - We paid for car/limo to get from Heathrow to central London. Was a luxury after the overnight flight, but hardly necc. The Heathrow Express train is easy to use and take, if you (hopefully) know where you are going.
Lodging - Stayed at The Laslett, a 4star boutique hotel in Notting Hill, truly about 15 yards from Notting Hill tube station - which was a HUGE plus, and about 3 min walk from Hyde Park - also huge for us, as we took multiple walks through the park, and I ran in it. Great rooms, decent if pricey little restaurant inside, lots coffee nearby. I'd stay again. Only neg was no exercise room. They have a relationship w clubs within walking distance, but its not the same.
Things we did -
We are history buffs
Victoria and Albert Museum - good, if not great, because
British Museum - Wow. If you have never been, worth the trip. Just amazing. I am a middle ages/medieval buff, the objects there were so interesting. Highly highly recommend. Free but requires tickets.
Hunterian (Medical) Museum - Had the incredible luck of this reopening 2 days before our arrival, after 6 hrs closure. A small but stunning display of the work and collections of John Hunter at the Royal College of Physicians headquarters building near Lincoln's Inn Fields. Highly rec for those medically/scientifically interested.
Walked to Borough Market for lunch - what can I say. Do it.
Walked along South Bank back west - Don't do it. DIdn't realize that this is like a Times Square of London, near the Eye.
Westminster Abbey - Every monarch coronated there since 1066. Worth a look.
Regents Park - Loved walking in it.
Tate Modern - Worth a visit. Loved that it was easy and free to go to, see as much or little desired. Wife enjoyed the most.
Greenwich - we took the tube to see the Nat Maritime Museum and the area. Enjoyed. Also enjoyed the tube ride, seeing what that part of London looked like.
Went to the Saatchi Gallery for the FirstLondon antiquarian bookshow - high point of the trip for a rare book afficionado/would be collector.

Return to Heathrow via Express from Paddington. Uneventful flight back.

Other comments
Food is pricey.
Dishooms is awesome. There were lines.
Food carts around Duke of York Square (Saatchi Gallery) awesome.
Borough Market food awesome.
Pro Tip Akub, Notting Hill area. One of the best meals I have ever had.
If you like maps and/or travel books, check out Stanfords.

British notions of healthy eating are a bit different from, well, mine.

We saw 3 foxes in Hyde Park.

So much to see and do. Looking forward to going back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News