ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hesitant to reply to this post at first but reading that others have gone through similar experiences as members of my family did I think I'll share a little. Years ago my father's family lived in a house that sat on a plot of land where Hemisfair Plaza is now located in San Antonio. I'm a skeptic by nature (even as a youngster when I first heard these stories) but I've got to tell you that I'm convinced that whatever went on in that house was very much real to my dad, uncle and three aunts. I won't go into details but all of the aforementioned family members who are now deceased would tell stories of the things they experienced in that home. They all told the exact same stories, down to the last detail and the stories expecially rang true when they were told by my aunts. Listening to them explain what happened left you mesmerized as they recounted hauntings that left them terrified. What convinced me most about their stories was that, even into their late eighties and early nineties, whenever they told those stories, their voices trembled and their eyes would well up with tears. You could see them reaching back into their memories and reliving those terrifying moments. Like I said, I have no first hand experience with stuff like this, but when five people tell the exact same stories and still are haunted by them, you tend to believe their is truth in what they are saying.

I am part of paranormal investigation group here in St. Louis. I am the group skeptic. Don't believe and don't dis-believe at this point. Seen some strange stuff but not enough to convince me 100% that ghosts exist. I have been to cool historical places. There is an area south of St Louis, around a town called Potsoi that is known as the "Cradle of Texas". Part of Moses Austin's(Stephen F.'s dad) home is still there. That was part of the investigation along with the cemetary where Moses is buried. We also investigated the hospital where the boy the Exorcist was based upon was kept. Really cool old building that unfortunately has been turned into Section 8 housing. The tenants won't go into the basement and are not allowed in the area where the boy stayed.

I'm just thinking aloud here so noone get offended but:

1. Seems like a good deal of people have described different versions of sleep paralysis,

2. The mind is a very powerful thing,

3. I'm glad the one guy stopped torturing animals,

4. How come there are no photos, videos, audio recordings, etc of these things which are apparently somewhat common?

Originally posted by Txparrot:
I am part of paranormal investigation group here in St. Louis. I am the group skeptic. Don't believe and don't dis-believe at this point. Seen some strange stuff but not enough to convince me 100% that ghosts exist. I have been to cool historical places. There is an area south of St Louis, around a town called Potsoi that is known as the "Cradle of Texas". Part of Moses Austin's(Stephen F.'s dad) home is still there. That was part of the investigation along with the cemetary where Moses is buried. We also investigated the hospital where the boy the Exorcist was based upon was kept. Really cool old building that unfortunately has been turned into Section 8 housing. The tenants won't go into the basement and are not allowed in the area where the boy stayed.

I thought that boy was in Wash. D.C.?

Originally posted by zakcr30:
I'm curious where exactly you are talking about. I grew up and still live in southwest Austin. You mention Southwest Parkway intersecting with Camp Ben, but I think you must mean Slaughter Lane, not Southwest Parkway. They are building a middle school at the corner of Camp Ben (1826) and Slaughter. I've driven that way many times at night and luckily I've never seen anything like what you've seen. By the way, I drive Slaughter to work every day (My office is on 290 near Dripping Springs and I live off of Slaughter) and just noticed yesterday that a cross has been placed back right off the street where the middle school is at. It has to be the one you were talking about because I don't think it's been there since they started building the school.

Yes, I meant Slaughter not Southwest parkway. it was a little late last nite.....

i wondered when I saw them take the cross down if anything else would happen in the vicinity.

Originally posted by CelisHorn:
I'm just thinking aloud here so noone get offended but:

1. Seems like a good deal of people have described different versions of sleep paralysis,

2. The mind is a very powerful thing,

3. I'm glad the one guy stopped torturing animals,

4. How come there are no photos, videos, audio recordings, etc of these things which are apparently somewhat common?
I think #4 is all over the internet.

Originally posted by TexasRN:

Originally posted by Txparrot:

I thought that boy was in Wash. D.C.?

It was filmed at Georgetown University in DC. When I was at Georgetown it was supposedly common knowledge that it was based upon something that happpened in DC and the priest in the film was one of the Jesuits from back in the day. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know.

See link below.

http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

I just read a story that said it happened in Maryland and then St. Louis. They moved the boy during his possession.

I don't know whether there are ghosts or not. Wouldn't be shocked either way.

I have three comments about this thread:

1. Several individuals on this thread claim to have had numerous encounters. Then there are people like me who have never had one. Is this coincidence, a result of some people being more receptive to spiritual things, or a result of some people having over-active imaginations or just being a little crazy? I can't say, but I do know that I have been in old graveyards, old houses, and places where deaths have occurred, and I have never seen or heard anything I thought was a ghost.

2. Several of the posters tell of very strange and frightening events and then say they continued to live in the house or turned over and went back to sleep. WTF? This makes me wonder if the person's memory is a little embellished. Because if what they say happened to them happened to me, I guarantee I would not turn over and go back to sleep and I have a hard time believing anyone could. Not calling anyone a liar, just saying I don't understand it.

3. The guy who posted about the satan worshiper needs to inform the police.
1. I don't know what you'd classify the encounter I had....ghost/angel/real person. All I know is I saw him, spoke to him, and the other person who should have, didn't. Then he disappeared. All on a golf course in broad day light. My experience could have very well been a real person. But, then how do you explain him walking 5' behind another person on asphalt on a deserted golf course and the other person not hearing him walking so close? How do you explain the kid disappearing in under 7 seconds with absolutely no place to go but straight down a path......a path that would take a champion sprinter 7 seconds to run. I know what I saw was real, but I just haven't been able to find a logical explanation for what happened other than the kid I spoke with being an angel or something. Just a trippy story all around!

2. I agree with you. If I ever saw something float or heard footsteps in a house no one else was in.......I'm G-O-N-E!!! I have absolutely zero interest in having any of those kinds of experiences.

3. As for the Satan worshiper story, that was mine as well, though I was not directly involved with this woman. I did however, mention that the couple that studied the bible with her went to the authorities regarding her stories. That story gives me goose bumps. The fact that the couple woke up in terror and the sister called to say she'd dreamt a demon was dripping something on them while they slept just freaks me out. In the Bible, it talks about being inhabited by 7 demons if you give yourself to Satan.

Has anyone ever watched Ghost Busters / T.A.P.S?

According to the TAPS guys, there are three different types of ghostly encounters:

1. The DVD/movie of some past occurrence that plays itself over and over. This apparition has no awareness of the living and can do you no harm. It is simply some past happening that is repeating itself for some reason. Examples are footsteps down the same stairs over and over, someone appearing in a hallway, a cry or moan that won't stop.

2. The Benevolent Ghost. This is a personality that is aware of the living and wants to interact but does so in light hearted, harmless, yet sometimes mischievous ways. Examples are missing items, closing doors, lights turning on and off for no reason, a young boy giving you a $5 bill and then disappearing. These ghosts do no harm and many people live with them with no problems. Benevolent Ghosts don't seem to mind the company of the living and almost enjoy the interactions.

3. The Malevolent Ghost. This is the one we are all afraid to encounter. They seem to want to be left alone and will go to almost any extreem to get us to leave their presence. Examples are jumping on your bed like a cat and smothering you, pushing you down the stairs, really messing with your mind and body. These are the ones people go running out of the house from in the middle of the night. These are the ones we consider to be evil.

The vast majority of TAPS encounters fall into the first two categories. However some folks say they have experienced encounters with the third type as well.

Ghosts are thought to have once been living people that have past away and are not to be confused with other spiritual beings like angels and demons.

Originally posted by = Ice Man =:

1. Several individuals on this thread claim to have had numerous encounters. Then there are people like me who have never had one. Is this coincidence, a result of some people being more receptive to spiritual things, or a result of some people having over-active imaginations or just being a little crazy? I can't say, but I do know that I have been in old graveyards, old houses, and places where deaths have occurred, and I have never seen or heard anything I thought was a ghost.

2. Several of the posters tell of very strange and frightening events and then say they continued to live in the house or turned over and went back to sleep. WTF? This makes me wonder if the person's memory is a little embellished. Because if what they say happened to them happened to me, I guarantee I would not turn over and go back to sleep and I have a hard time believing anyone could. Not calling anyone a liar, just saying I don't understand it.

1. I don't know what you'd classify the encounter I had....ghost/angel/real person. All I know is I saw him, spoke to him, and the other person who should have, didn't. Then he disappeared. All on a golf course in broad day light. My experience could have very well been a real person. But, then how do you explain him walking 5' behind another person on asphalt on a deserted golf course and the other person not hearing him walking so close? How do you explain the kid disappearing in under 7 seconds with absolutely no place to go but straight down a path......a path that would take a champion sprinter 7 seconds to run. I know what I saw was real, but I just haven't been able to find a logical explanation for what happened other than the kid I spoke with being an angel or something. Just a trippy story all around!

2. I agree with you. If I ever saw something float or heard footsteps in a house no one else was in.......I'm G-O-N-E!!! I have absolutely zero interest in having any of those kinds of experiences.

3. As for the Satan worshiper story, that was mine as well, though I was not directly involved with this woman. I did however, mention that the couple that studied the bible with her went to the authorities regarding her stories. That story gives me goose bumps. The fact that the couple woke up in terror and the sister called to say she'd dreamt a demon was dripping something on them while they slept just freaks me out. In the Bible, it talks about being inhabited by 7 demons if you give yourself to Satan.

Iceman - Of all the stories on this thread, I like your little boy on the golf course story the best. I wish that happened to me.

Originally posted by GDforHC:
Originally posted by texashero:
When I bought the place I'm sitting in (home/office on Route 1 in Maine), right after closing, the seller said, "Now you get to deal with the ghost." However, I have yet to meet "the ghost" after 11-12 years here.

Also bought an old cape about 20 miles inland a few years back?built in 1790, attached barn?and same deal: come to find out (after closing) it was home to a ghost named Lydia who hung out in the cellar. Supposedly. Because I never met Lydia, though I went looking for her.

A friend up here, meanwhile, used to own an 1800s sea captain's house near the harbor of a neighboring town. Whenever he'd have guests with children staying there, a woman would appear on the stairs at night carrying a tray of milk and cookies?a plump black woman wearing 19th-century nanny attire. Very friendly, would smile and greet late-to-bed guests, who assumed she was part of an elaborate prank or something. But no prank. She would only appear if kids were around.

My dear ol' mom died three years ago in Austin. On her deathbed, she'd see interesting people none of the rest of us could see. E.g., she saw a little boy sitting in the corner of the room (not uncommon, from what I hear). Another time she saw a tall old gray-haired guy with a mustache standing at the foot of her bed. He even told her his name: "Fernie." Weird name, Ma. "He says it's short for 'Ferdinand.'" Well, when my sister heard this story soon after, her eyes got wide?seems down the block from her, on the other side of town, lived a tall old gray-haired man with a mustache named Ferdinand who went by "Fernie." She was sure she'd never mentioned him to our folks. Thing is, he'd died a couple months before.

That's all I've got.

Hook 'em.

Don't they have to disclose the "ghost " before you sign?

Read the nursing ghost thread. Eerie how similar some of the stories are.
That's what I was thinking.. I know we do in Texas.. When we sold our first house, we had to 'disclose' any paranormal activity...Same when we bought our current one, there was a clause in there about knowing if there was a ghost or not.. wouldn't have made a difference anyway, our pastor came by and blessed all that stuff away..

Originally posted by = Ice Man =:

Iceman - Of all the stories on this thread, I like your little boy on the golf course story the best. I wish that happened to me.
Yep, I was thinking the same.. Sounds like some good fortune is coming your way.. remember your post, ICEMAN, about working at Tiffany's or someplace and then you lost your job because of a posting here? I was reminded of a conversation I had with my pastor about Angels. They walk among us.

Some observations...

When I was 2, my family moved from Houston (Alief) to south Fort Worth. It was 1982 and the house we moved into had been built in 1978. Fairly new, only lived in by one family before us. It had four bedrooms. The master is off by itself and the other three are clustered with a bathroom at the end of a hallway originating in the living room.

My earliest memories of my life involve waking up in my bed in sheer terror screaming "I don't want to die." I was between 2 and 3 when this started. And having studied psychology, toddlers don't typically have a firm grasp on the concept of death. I was very conscious of it and feared it...at the age of 3. I never had a good feeling about the three bedrooms at the end of the hallway and constantly slept in my parents room which proved to not be immune to strange stuff but at least I was next to them, or over at grandparents' houses.

I had many terrifying dreams during the time we lived there and would often wake up to strange images fading into the dark.

In 1986 we moved to Burleson to a house my parents designed and have never had any significant experiences. But I kept my experiences with me and have always been pretty skittish about being alone and being in the dark at all.

Flash forward to 2003. My dad had retained ownership of the house, leasing it out to different people over the years. Around October, the house became available again. I, having just graduated college, figured it was a great opportunity. I negotiated a sales price with my dad and started the process of buying the house, despite still being leery of the back three bedrooms.

The family that had been living there had apparently been religious zealots, giving most of their money to some weird ministry and posting Bible verses all over the house, some in very strange places like the inside of a sliding closet door or the inside of the pantry door. Strange stuff. I took most of the verses down, left a few up to show friends.

Anyway, I start to move stuff in and immediately things are strange. I wake up on morning one my couch (hadn't moved the bed in yet). The living room was ice cold, but it was October and the room had two giant sets of french doors which let a lot of temperature inside. However, I was facing the couch back and couldn't see my surroundings. But, I could hear. Footsteps and whispers.

I thought that someone had opened one of the big sets of doors (the locks were kind of faulty and I hadn't replaced them yet) and was stealing my stuff. I decided to lay perfectly still as rising might spook the people and end up violent. After a few minutes the whispering and footsteps died down. I finally turned to look at the door. It was closed. I checked it. Locked. And suddenly I noticed that is was significantly warmer in the room.

As I got situated in the house I used the back three bedrooms for storage primarily but did throw a futon bunk bed in one room for overnight visitors. And of note, is was always noticeably colder in that area of the house.

Over time, I would have friends over. At first, they would stay in the spare bedroom. But eventually people were making beds out of my two living room chairs, sleeping on my Love Sac, couch, floor, anything to not sleep in the bedroom. Specifically, there were reports of tapping on the window in the room, whispers and footsteps.

Eventually I adopted a dog, a little Boston Terrier. He's wild and often goes on a rampage through the house just running as fast as he can everywhere in every room. Except he wouldn't go down the hallway, ever. There would be times I would even call him down there when I had to go in for whatever reason and he would just stand at the entrance and stare at me.

Finally, having gone to a Christian college, I was friends with many people who claimed to be spiritually in tune and more than once I was told there was something not right, all the way up to being told that my house was ground zero of a spiritual warzone and that there were demons and angels all around us (in the living room) waging battle. Not sure how much I bought into that one but these observations from people often came unsolicited as I didn't talk about the weird things because I didn't want to provoke anything.

Eventually I moved out and went back to school. My friend and his family live there now. I've never asked about anything weird happening.

I have another experience from college that the whole sleep paralysis thing may explain.

Regardless, I do believe I've always been a little more in tune with all that stuff and can often sense/feel the mood/demeanor of a room.

FWIW. Fun thread.

Originally posted by jamzan2:
I'll elaborate a little bit more about my wife's story although she could tell it better than I could. My wife moved to Austin from Atlanta, GA 20yrs ago to be closer with her mother's family, whom live here in Texas...they're spread out from Waco,Austin, San Antonio, Pearsall and inbetween thru Del Rio. Having been brought up to be a 'strong woman', she's very opinionated and very willful. I'll leave it at that. She was also brought up in the Catholic faith. Now, some things happened in her life from childhood thru college that really damaged her faith in God..she was angry for a long time. When she and I met, I wasn't into going to Church all the time although I'd drop in somewhere from time to time..if only to appease my mother when she'd ask, "Are you going to Church?".. Anyway, she was very angry and despised God and was not afraid to let anyone know it. Her accounting of events prior to the 'THING', was that strange people were always asking her "Where to do go to Church?" or "Who's your pastor?" stuff like that.. Being in her mindset, you can imagine what might have come out of mouth as these people.. So, she's staying with her Great Aunt Eunice before she gets her own place... Her accounting as I remember her telling me: After a long week of running into people asking her about God and Church and such, she goes to sleep one evening. She remembers the house getting really quiet and cold and she hears creaking in her room as if someone had just stood there.. She remembers feeling this 'evil' presence...she described it as evil, hatred, mocking, laughing presence... she heard it growl and purr at her. She couldn't see it directly, but it was just a black presence.. the way it jumped on her bed reminded her of her cat.. She said she tried to sit up to get out of the room, but it slammed her back on the bed with it's front feet/paws and then sat or pressed on her. She said it kept purring at her as it pressed on her chest..she couldn't breathe and she couldn't move..she said it felt like it trying to press it's face over hers..she could feels it's breathe and smell it.. So, she did the only thing she could..she cried out in Jesus' name and just kept at it in her mind until she could catch her breathe enough to yell it out loud.. Eventually the pressure eased and the presence went away, but not like it fled at the mere mention of his name, more like, "Get your sh*t together or else I'll be back." That's how she took it..as a warning to her to going down the path that she was on.. I get the chills everytime I think about it.

That's pretty much how it felt for me watching some of our football teams play in the mid and late 80's

Originally posted by tkbarnett:
It would be interesting to see the % of people that believe in god and the % of people that believe in ghosts.

Not sure how you believe in one and not the other.

i believe in both.

God is in my faith
Ghosts i have witnessed and heard strange and frightening noises..
alien.gif

man real talk after we saw our homeboy we got up got his little brother and left wasnt no stayin around.

Originally posted by hookem19852003:
man real talk after we saw our homeboy we got up got his little brother and left wasnt no stayin around.

I'm not saying there are or aren't ghosts, but if you leave out the first line about how you were getting high, it might make your story a little more believable. Just saying.

I havent seen any ghost but have heard some strange stories. My current roommate does not believe in God or the supernatural. He loves to talk about how messed up the bible is and how the supernatural is purely sensation. In his bedroom, he has his tv against the wall facing the foot of his bed. He described to me a "dream" he had (he thinks it is a dream because there is no plausible way it could happen) in which he opened his eyes and noticed his tv was on but it was a black screen. There was nothing on the display initially but suddenly letters began to appear, as if being typed, eventually forming the sentence "DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS?" Yes, it was in all capital letters. My roommate, being the smartass that he is, replied "No." He then woke up sweating, frightened, and with bruises on his arms. To reassure himself that this was a dream he reached to touch the tv, which was warm as if it had just been used. After unplugging said television set he reported that he did not have any more problems.

Regarding dogs seeing things we cannot, I recall a particular instance with my sister's dog after she died. Usually very difficult to distract when he has a new toy, he kept looking up at a very specific point on the ceiling as if someone was calling his name. He stopped doing this after a few days. My parents say that they feel her presence in the house and it is a very warm and loving feeling.

Well, I see dead people.

It used to scare me as a kid, but then this one dead dude who didn't know he was dead convinced me to help the dead out with whatever they need. Now it's not so bad.

FYI, watch out for cold. It's a dead give away.

Originally posted by radmanmadman:
I've never seen one, but I do believe there are spiritual beings. I've encountered feeling the presence of something evil, the devil perhaps, scared the livin' crap out of me, I called out the name of Jesus and told the SOB to get the F out and he did, it was gone as fast as it "appeared".

More to the story, but don't feel like getting into the details, still creeps me out to think about it as it was a low point in my life. Thank you Jesus for savin' my life!
My wife had an experience with a demon that will send chills down your spine. It still freaks me out to this day.

Now ghosts are different. As a kid, weird things would happen around the house. Turns out that it was the ghost of the husband who built that house, but died before his wife. A few months of this stuff happening, it stopped. Found out later my mom talked to him and told him to 'go on, she died'...apparently, he was looking for his wife and didn't know she died. Every now and then, something weird happens, like doors closing or opening when NO ONE was in the house with you.

Another freaky thing happened when a distant cousin's wife died of a very aggressive breast cancer. The funeral was lively, to say the least. I'll never forget that.

tell the demon story

Originally posted by Godzillatron:

Originally posted by radmanmadman:
I've never seen one, but I do believe there are spiritual beings. I've encountered feeling the presence of something evil, the devil perhaps, scared the livin' crap out of me, I called out the name of Jesus and told the SOB to get the F out and he did, it was gone as fast as it "appeared".

More to the story, but don't feel like getting into the details, still creeps me out to think about it as it was a low point in my life. Thank you Jesus for savin' my life!
My wife had an experience with a demon that will send chills down your spine. It still freaks me out to this day.

Now ghosts are different. As a kid, weird things would happen around the house. Turns out that it was the ghost of the husband who built that house, but died before his wife. A few months of this stuff happening, it stopped. Found out later my mom talked to him and told him to 'go on, she died'...apparently, he was looking for his wife and didn't know she died. Every now and then, something weird happens, like doors closing or opening when NO ONE was in the house with you.

Another freaky thing happened when a distant cousin's wife died of a very aggressive breast cancer. The funeral was lively, to say the least. I'll never forget that.

tell the demon story

See a few posts above

gm

You know when your TV is on but not tuned into a channel? That static you see is 1% residual from the Big Bang and 99% ghosts.

My Dad was a radar operator in the Navy and he claims to have seen ghosts all the time.

Just sayin'!

Don't they have to disclose the "ghost " before you sign?
So I'm told. But I didn't mind.

Read the nursing ghost thread. Eerie how similar some of the stories are.
Had not seen that link, thanks. Yep, curious things seem to happen when you're dying. E.g., at one point my mom (whom I was holding at the time) whispered to me very clearly: "We've got to find a hammer to break the lock on that door." (She also kept telling me to watch out for the holes or we'd fall. It was like we were on some kind of quest or something.)

Anyway, Ma lingered a couple thunderstormy days, then the sky cleared and it got lovely and cloudless and cool (this was 11 May 2006). And the power went out. Not during all the violent thunderstorms—huge limbs down in the back yard, etc.—but on a calm, sunny morning. So we opened the windows in her room to let fresh air and birdsong through the screens. Soon after, she was gone.

And then the power came back on.

Part of me imagines that Ma made the power go out so we'd open the windows and she could fly out on the breeze. 'Course, another part of me says: "Don't be such an idoit."

Hook 'em.

Originally posted by LongToothHorn:
You know when your TV is on but not tuned into a channel? That static you see is 1% residual from the Big Bang and 99% ghosts.

My Dad was a radar operator in the Navy and he claims to have seen ghosts all the time.

Just sayin'!

What in the hell are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT