ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Ya.... Clob is awake because babies get colicky after 3 weeks. Fvck that sh!t. It's real.
Anyway- so I'm stuck awake- rocking back and forth and bouncing like an epileptic on a trampoline..... trying to make a baby go to sleep......but I've been watching this documentary on Amazon prime- and it's about the IRA and Northern Ireland and terrorist attacks- the struggle between the Catholics and the Protestants- and of course the British. And I know some of you mutts are Irish.... and might gain some insight.

That is all.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Very complicated problem. Similar to the problem in Israel. If you really want some insight, read Trinity by Uris.

The hatred is real and expected. If you really want to understand it, go into a pub in Dublin or Limerick and order a Bushmills....if you make it out of there, you will find yourself a more learned man.

As an aside Clob.....this will be your easiest time in the next 50 years or so. Also, you will slowly come to realize that the one thing in common your friends with money have is.....no kids.

Last edited:
Ya.... Clob is awake because babies get colicky after 3 weeks. Fvck that sh!t. It's real.
Anyway- so I'm stuck awake- rocking back and forth and bouncing like an epileptic on a trampoline..... trying to make a baby go to sleep......but I've been watching this documentary on Amazon prime- and it's about the IRA and Northern Ireland and terrorist attacks- the struggle between the Catholics and the Protestants- and of course the British. And I know some of you mutts are Irish.... and might gain some insight.

That is all.
My second child was premature and colicky. Cried every night. Then the pediatrician said give her just a drop of whisky. She slept thru the night. Not me, I was checking her all night to be sure that she was breathing.

Very complicated problem. Similar to the problem in Israel. If you really want some insight, read Trinity by Uris.

The hatred is real and expected. If you really want to understand it, go into a pub in Dublin or Limerick and order a Bushmills....if you make it out of there, you will find yourself a more learned man.

As an aside Clob.....this will be your easiest time in the next 50 years or so. Also, you will slowly come to realize that the one thing in common your friends with money have is.....no kids.
I remember in 1979 IRA terrorists bombed a boat which killed Lord Mountbatten. I dont remember if Charles was the target. They lost support in most of the world after that. However Qadaffi praised them it was rumored that he gave financial support to them.

the Irish HATE, HATE,HATE the English.....and for very good reason....Did you realize that Ireland was neutral during WWII and allowed all German ships to dock and refuel there?

Man this thread brings back memories. I went to school with a bunch of Irish kids and some of them are still my best friends. You could always count on them in a tight spot and boy could those kids drink. We were sneaking Irish coffees in thermos on campus at our Catholic high school pretty much from Sophomore year on. We'd sit there drinking it while the nuns walked by smiling.

Anyways, in the early/mid 80s a couple of those buddies would sometimes get private bartending gigs in San Francisco. There used to be a couple solidly Irish pubs there not too far from the waterfront. The private gigs were usually fundraisers for the IRA. If you ever read or saw Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games", he touched on this phenomenon in Boston. Well San Francisco is Boston West.

Yes the Irish hate the English, (something I emphasize in my classes because that interplay had such an impact on the settlement of the American frontier) but they also love to fight for the English. Witness the Irish Guards and the many, many thousands of Irish that enlisted in the British Army for WWII.

Reactions: okiehorn
My surname is Irish. My dad's family came from Cork, Ireland in the 1840's because of the potato famine. They came through Ellis Island and settled in Missouri. Great great greats... left home at 14-15 and never saw their families again. Shipwrecked twice before getting here. English relatives settled in Georgia and were Plantation owners, fought for the confederacy. German relatives came up through Galveston. Anyway, all Irish men in my family drank heavily and died from it. I don't drink.

I go through Cork almost once a year. I prefer Cobh and Kinsale for the smaller town charm. I drink Irish whiskey and Middleton has some of the best.

Reactions: freeper

That is all.
You might like “Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan” a doc about the Punk singer “legend” from Ireland. Never thought I’d watch anything related to punk rock, but this was fairly interesting… about his life growing up with IRA family ties.

Turns out the Brits were d*cks when it came to the Irish (I’m Scotch-Irish, hence the interest).

*Fun fact: Shane could have used a good dentist.

*Fun fact 2: Some of the punk stuff wasn’t half bad.

Last edited:
Man this thread brings back memories. I went to school with a bunch of Irish kids and some of them are still my best friends. You could always count on them in a tight spot and boy could those kids drink. We were sneaking Irish coffees in thermos on campus at our Catholic high school pretty much from Sophomore year on. We'd sit there drinking it while the nuns walked by smiling.

Anyways, in the early/mid 80s a couple of those buddies would sometimes get private bartending gigs in San Francisco. There used to be a couple solidly Irish pubs there not too far from the waterfront. The private gigs were usually fundraisers for the IRA. If you ever read or saw Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games", he touched on this phenomenon in Boston. Well San Francisco is Boston West.

Yes the Irish hate the English, (something I emphasize in my classes because that interplay had such an impact on the settlement of the American frontier) but they also love to fight for the English. Witness the Irish Guards and the many, many thousands of Irish that enlisted in the British Army for WWII.
Late 70s. I was an anesthesia resident at Parkland. We had a young professor from Belfast. She said that even at the height of "the troubles" Dallas had more trauma.

Reactions: freeper
You might like “Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan” a doc about the Punk singer “legend” from Ireland. Never thought I’d watch anything related to punk rock, but this was fairly interesting… about his life growing up with IRA family ties.

Turns out the Brits were d*cks when it came to the Irish (I’m Scotch-Irish, hence the interest).

He sang my favorite Christmas song--

"And the boys of the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay-"

Reactions: HarryBuffalo
He sang my favorite Christmas song--

"And the boys of the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay-"
Favorite Irish band… Dropkick Murphy’s. Would love to see ‘em live at a small venue. There’s a great video of ‘Shipping Off to Boston’ they did live at some pub. Couldn’t find it, so this’ll have to suffice. ☘️ 🇮🇪

Reactions: Drtxhorn

That is all.
Do you mind sharing the title? Not finding it and very interested. Thanks.

Great band. Love You Til the End is one of my favorites. Used it to end the video I put together for parents 50th anniversary. Happened upon it in the end sequence to the movie Mystery Alaska (a must see if you haven't).

Do you mind sharing the title? Not finding it and very interested. Thanks.
Once upon a time in Northern Ireland......

Amazon product ASIN B0C4VND8VC

It's on PBS and Amazon prime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT