ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should you keep savings in a bank?

A little off topic, but apparently Capitol One, Ally and Wells Fargo have removed dealer floorplan financing and has quit the subprime car lending. There is more detail, but these two tweets skim over the basics. Is this a sign of the banks prepping for rough times ahead? This guy is pretty interesting and I like the information he puts out.

Btw, what you are about to read is not an angry rant-it is just a fun philosophical rant. Gimme hell if you want. I am interested in rebuttals. Regarding the subprime lending, this system puts people in cars that they have no business owning, I have some personal pet peeves. Maybe it is me being a little envious or old fashioned (I still haven't owned my hotrod to this day, but that day will come after kids out of college). But, some of these young dudes driving brand new expensive camaros/corvettes/mustangs/bmw or whatever either have wealthy parents or live at mommy and daddies working for the car payment, but not helping parents with rent, utilities or food bills. I know some of you may give older dudes a hard time by labeling them as "mid-life crisis" if you see them in a shiny new corvette, but don't you think that theoretically, older dudes should be the ones driving the toys. I mean, we all had dreams when we were young about these cool sports car, but couldn't afford it for obvious reasons. Most of us are busy paying a mortgage, college, etc.., and don't really have the cash to have that extra vehicle. We have to settle for a family car to make sure there is plenty of room for all of the family. Anyway, you put that dream on hold until you can properly afford it when the mortgage comes down, kid's college is paid and some of life's expenses that are lowered when you no longer having kids in the house.
Ya, the easy credit for those that don't deserve it drives prices up for all of us. It's bad business and these banks are about to pay. It would be funny if everyone's balance sheet aka net worth were hovering above each person's vehicle. I drive an older "paid off" vehicle with a house that is 90% paid off. Ya, the USA needs to get its house in order.

A little off topic, but apparently Capitol One, Ally and Wells Fargo have removed dealer floorplan financing and has quit the subprime car lending. There is more detail, but these two tweets skim over the basics. Is this a sign of the banks prepping for rough times ahead? This guy is pretty interesting and I like the information he puts out.

Btw, what you are about to read is not an angry rant-it is just a fun philosophical rant. Gimme hell if you want. I am interested in rebuttals. Regarding the subprime lending, this system puts people in cars that they have no business owning, I have some personal pet peeves. Maybe it is me being a little envious or old fashioned (I still haven't owned my hotrod to this day, but that day will come after kids out of college). But, some of these young dudes driving brand new expensive camaros/corvettes/mustangs/bmw or whatever either have wealthy parents or live at mommy and daddies working for the car payment, but not helping parents with rent, utilities or food bills. I know some of you may give older dudes a hard time by labeling them as "mid-life crisis" if you see them in a shiny new corvette, but don't you think that theoretically, older dudes should be the ones driving the toys. I mean, we all had dreams when we were young about these cool sports car, but couldn't afford it for obvious reasons. Most of us are busy paying a mortgage, college, etc.., and don't really have the cash to have that extra vehicle. We have to settle for a family car to make sure there is plenty of room for all of the family. Anyway, you put that dream on hold until you can properly afford it when the mortgage comes down, kid's college is paid and some of life's expenses that are lowered when you no longer having kids in the house.

Yeah I see banks now offering car loans up to 7 years, which is insane. With interest rates rising and bond prices falling, banks are losing their ability to make a profit. Banks rely on bond prices to be high enough to get a decent return and they depend on interest rates to be low enough to attract borrowers. Without strong bond market pricing and competitive interest rates, it's a double whammy for banks. All they're left with are sub prime borrowers to bet high interest rates with.

Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT