ADVERTISEMENT

OU to SEC 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

horn01

Jan 14, 2015
Boren appears to be positioning for talks to resume with the SEC. In the last round, unlike the Pac, the SEC was considering OU without Texas. That's not to say the SEC didn't want Texas, but they would consider OU alone. A stumbling block is that reportedly the OK legislature will not allow OU to move without OSU.

My thoughts...why is the GOR thought to be so iron clad in every other conference but not the Big 12? Is OU going to leave their TV rights behind? And if OSU and OU are a package deal, is the real move we are about to see here merger talks between the Big 12 and SEC?

The SEC would prefer the North Carolina and Virginia market over the Oklahoma market. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State should go with us to the PAC.

The invite was there in 2012...apparently the market wasn't a problem then

Yeah, I don't know how OU would get out of the grant of tv rights provision. Sounds like bluster to me and Boren trying to puff himself up to his constituents as a mover and shaker.

Scholz, actually most OU fans would leave the Little 12 in a second. We should have gone to the SEC when we had the chance. Boren realizes he missed an opportunity.

That guy is a joke. Regents need to get rid of him if they want ou to be taken seriously in any national arena.

Yes, I realize what your fanbase thinks which is why Boren is shining them on and acting like he has the power to do this and bringing up this topic again (and $ooner fanboy Trotter is blogging about it) when it's not going to happen.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
The market share doesn't mean jack to the SEC at this point. They need to close out with 2 big boy programs and that's what they'll try to do.

You're an idiot if you don't think they want OU.

yeah....LSU,Auburn and Alabama dont mind aTm in the secsecsec west.....but I doubt they would be too happy to see OU and UT show up.....I mean someone that had a the program to displace them at the top.

The market share doesn't mean jack to the SEC at this point. They need to close out with 2 big boy programs and that's what they'll try to do.

You're an idiot if you don't think they want OU.

It's simple. If you don't gain market share, you will lose money by splitting the tv money between more teams.

It's simple. If you don't gain market share, you will lose money by splitting the tv money between more teams.
Negative ghost-rider... as I said, they need not worry about that anymore. They have everything they need. The biggest moves they could make to bolster their market value would be adding Texas or ND, neither of which are likely to happen. They want OU...

Yo hookem.....so you are saying having the Spurs in the NBA finals add less eyeballs to the playoffs than the 76's?.....Did Revelee take your seat in the logic class?

I don't think Boren has implied he has the power to break the contract. He knows the Big-12 is dead and he is opening the conversation again to try to instigate a change.

I think a spade has been called a spade here. It's not that the SEC doesn't want OU, it's that Aggies don't want OU in the SEC

I don't think Boren has implied he has the power to break the contract. He knows the Big-12 is dead and he is opening the conversation again to try to instigate a change.
Possibly. If he has his eyes way down the road it goes something like this..1) His smoke blowing causes Texas to resume talks with PAC or SEC ultimately leading to dissolution of Big 12 and thus no GOR problem, or 2) because of afore mentioned OSU tag along, the talk turns to SEC and Big 12 merger, causing PAC and B1G to start looking at merger options with ACC. The ultimate prize is all power five programs collectively negotiating TV deals and splitting into regional divisions.
But that is giving him a lot of credit for forward thinking. It's likely he is just doing a song and dance to placate boosters.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Yeah, I don't know how OU would get out of the grant of tv rights provision.
According to a lawyer in Phoenix, the grant of rights is not as much a deterrent as you might think. The damages end up calculated as the 'lost revenue' from the loss of the broadcast rights, and by his estimation there is usually no actual lost revenue as the broadcasters don't reduce the contract payout even when they lose a team or two.

link

Negative ghost-rider... as I said, they need not worry about that anymore. They have everything they need. The biggest moves they could make to bolster their market value would be adding Texas or ND, neither of which are likely to happen. They want OU...

When the athletes begin to receive the extra money the conferences will be after more money. Gaining market share is what they will look at. Virginia and North Carolina markets are better than the Oklahoma market.

I think a spade has been called a spade here. It's not that the SEC doesn't want OU, it's that Aggies don't want OU in the SEC
If it comes down to adding okie or Texas, the SEC will kick aggy out of the conference before they let the big dogs slip away.

Hook 'em

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
When the athletes begin to receive the extra money the conferences will be after more money. Gaining market share is what they will look at. Virginia and North Carolina markets are better than the Oklahoma market.
The ACC isn't going anywhere and the SEC isn't getting Virginia, VaTech or UNC/Duke. They (the SEC) want and have already approached OU in previous years. It will be about AAU status and quality of program if the SEC decides to stop at 16. Their best shot at adding big named programs is for the BIG 12 to disband...

Last edited:
may sound far fetched....but the new headline story on OB is about the survival of the big 12 and new realignment talk. Lots of smoke for no fire.....

yeah....LSU,Auburn and Alabama dont mind aTm in the secsecsec west.....but I doubt they would be too happy to see OU and UT show up.....I mean someone that had a the program to displace them at the top.

Well, if OU (and UT potentially) did join the SEC... and specifically the SEC west... would Bama and Auburn actually both still be in the west? I mean, you'd need SOMEONE to swap to the east. Auburn and Bama both have rivalries with east teams that they don't want to lose. I guess the only other one that makes any logical (I use that term loosely) sense would be Arkansas since the "East" now stretches all the way to Missouri, but let's be honest, to balance out the power programs, Bama and Auburn moving east and Mizzou moving west would make a lot more sense.

I actually kind of agree with some of what Boren is saying... I've always felt like the Big 12's failure to aggressively go after ACC teams before they were able to stabilize things was a HUGE mistake. Dodds did great things Texas athletics, but my one main problem with him was his "Notre Dame or bust" theory on Big 12 expansion. Once things were said and done, I felt like the 10 member Big 12 was a holding spot. Granted, I also thought that, for all 10 members, it was the best thing to do to stick with it for now, given the other options, but that eventually either some good teams would have to become available to add, or that eventually Texas, OU and maybe a few others would end up working things out with either the Pac 12 or... honestly... the Big 10. The SEC is an interesting curveball... less for OU... that's not entirely unbelievable, but for what Texas would do if it happened. I feel like it may be a bit early to be making the move.

It should be interesting to see how Steve Patterson plays this. On one hand, I don't think I see him as someone who'd play things as conservatively as Dodds did at all. On the other hand, I'm not sure he gives as much of a crap about fans, students, and student athletes as he does about trying to expand the Texas brand... so in his ideal world we'd probably be joining an international conference with the biggest universities of China, Japan, Mexico, Europe, etc., all in the mix. I'm not sure how that translates to reality and NCAA conferences. Independence? The Pac 12? The SEC? The Big 10? Not sure, but it certainly seems like he'd be someone who'd be fine with saying "aw screw it, let's go with this!"

All the same, I still think that, for the short term, letting everything play out is probably in both Texas and OU's best interest. I suppose we'll see what happens though.

Personally, I don't want to see the demise of the B12 and the OU-Texas rivalry . It's bad enough that OU is politically tied to OSU, but to have another great rivalry go by the wayside is sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT