ADVERTISEMENT

Possible EWU QB Vernon Adams transfer to Texas

Thing is with these grad xfers is that they have to make contact with the coaches. Its a violation if it happens the other way around.

Not so sure the exact rules on JuCo kids. But I second the Blinn Qb Hubenek.Been harping on him for months as well. I just view him as seasoned competition. I think Heard is squarely in this mix here. Maybe even Brewer if he xfers in. No matter what though, I'd like to see them add some guy with some experience. At best, he wins the job and gives Heard another year to ease in. At worst, the guy they add is a backup and gives us depth. So we don't see what we saw this year with Ash going down and Swoopes being the only option.

Yeah Hubenak would be perfect. The silence on him is perplexing. I keep coming back to this board, thinking this is it, somebody, Scholz, Madcow, JSTO, somebody is gonna have me some good news on Hubenak. Each time y'all disappoint me. Lol.

I'm not so sure on Hubenak. His stats are more a product of the system and talent around him. Most of his passing yards are from his WR/RBs getting yards after the catch. The fact that Texas really hasn't even given him a look is all you really need to know. The JUCO market is pretty bad this year for QBs.

Disagree. You don't average over 500 a game at any college level by just throwing short. Saw lots of very nice deep balls on his film too. 6'3" 205, 4.58 forty, over 5 bills a game and nearly 6 TDs a game? Yeah I'm down. I get that guy quick if I'm Strong.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
I'm not so sure on Hubenak. His stats are more a product of the system and talent around him. Most of his passing yards are from his WR/RBs getting yards after the catch. The fact that Texas really hasn't even given him a look is all you really need to know. The JUCO market is pretty bad this year for QBs.
Well Texas has in fact given him a look....and then some. Back in October they made calls and even a visit to Blinn to talk to him. Just saying.

As for the stats, make your own conclusions on that. Again, I don't see him as a savior. But some needed competition, depth, and experience at the least. I actually like Heard. Have been on record here saying that way back when we recruited him.

And I don't care how "bad" the Juco market is this year. We sorely need bodies. And experience. Even if it is just holding a clipboard and giving advice in a film room. We have JR Swoopes. RS FR Heard. FR Locksley. That is it. Locksley could probably use a RS. Swoopes doesn't look like the guy. So really all the eggs are in the Heard basket or the staff transforming Swoopes or getting Locksley ready early.

Just think how much different last year would have been had we gotten Wittik or M.Brewer (who ended up at VaTech) or any of the 3 guys that TCU took in as xfers that fit in as backups?
This post was edited on 2/9 6:55 PM by jsto60

http://texas.scout.com/story/1471823-juco-qb-jake-hubenak-putting-up-absurb-stats

"Just think how much different last year would have been had we gotten Wittik or M.Brewer."

Hubenak isn't anywhere close to those two guys, that's the problem. Texas will add a QB IMO, but it's going to be a grad transfer and not a JUCO QB.

There's only 3 QBs in the top 100 JUCO players (none in the top 50). The JUCO market for QBs is terrible.

I understand we need depth at QB, but you don't waste scholarships. Hubenak would never see the field and I think the Texas staff feels the same way. More importantly, Texas is looking for a QB that can play right now so Heard and Locksley can develop. Hubenak isn't that guy, there's a reason his only offers are San Diego State and Prairie View A&M.

This post was edited on 2/9 5:50 PM by utisdabomb12

"Just think how much different last year would have been had we gotten Wittik or M.Brewer."

Hubenak isn't anywhere close to those two guys, that's the problem. Texas will add a QB IMO, but it's going to be a grad transfer and not a JUCO QB.

There's only 3 QBs in the top 100 JUCO players (none in the top 50). The JUCO market for QBs is terrible.

I understand we need depth at QB, but you don't waste scholarships. Hubenak would never see the field and I think the Texas staff feels the same way. More importantly, Texas is looking for a QB that can play right now so Heard and Locksley can develop. Hubenak isn't that guy, there's a reason his only offers are San Diego State and Prairie View A&M.

I simply disagree. I don't think it would be a waste of a scholarship. I do think he would be one hit away from seeing the field. I think he could come in, add experience to the film room. And at least compete for the backup spot.

I see it as Heard winning the job. And then him as the backup. You know, that way we don't have to see Swoopes take a snap again (nobody wants this unless the staff works miracles with him) or a true frosh in Locksley. It would afford us the ability to evaluate Locksley and possibly RS him. Seriously, how can you see that as a wasted scholly? And how can you say he'd never see the field?

David Ash and Case McCoy were never supposed to see the field. Guys like Garrett Gilbert, Connor Wood, Connor Brewer, etc were all recruited before/after them. Yet look how that panned out. We sit here today with a whopping ONE Qb who has seen live game action. And his play certainly hasn't inspired. After that its a true frosh and RS frosh. And you don't want to add an experienced guy? I find that hard to believe, since I have seen you advocate xfers in. I get that you don't like this kid and/or believe some ranking you read that had only a few juco QBs on the list. But lists like that are guesses at best. Ask Snyder.

I think most can agree, we are tailor made to add some experience at QB position. It in fact would be another fail if the staff chooses not to for a second year in a row.

Originally posted by jsto60:

I simply disagree. I don't think it would be a waste of a scholarship. I do think he would be one hit away from seeing the field. I think he could come in, add experience to the film room. And at least compete for the backup spot.

I see it as Heard winning the job. And then him as the backup. You know, that way we don't have to see Swoopes take a snap again (nobody wants this unless the staff works miracles with him) or a true frosh in Locksley. It would afford us the ability to evaluate Locksley and possibly RS him. Seriously, how can you see that as a wasted scholly? And how can you say he'd never see the field?

David Ash and Case McCoy were never supposed to see the field. Guys like Garrett Gilbert, Connor Wood, Connor Brewer, etc were all recruited before/after them. Yet look how that panned out. We sit here today with a whopping ONE Qb who has seen live game action. And his play certainly hasn't inspired. After that its a true frosh and RS frosh. And you don't want to add an experienced guy? I find that hard to believe, since I have seen you advocate xfers in. I get that you don't like this kid and/or believe some ranking you read that had only a few juco QBs on the list. But lists like that are guesses at best. Ask Snyder.

I think most can agree, we are tailor made to add some experience at QB position. It in fact would be another fail if the staff chooses not to for a second year in a row.

Bill Snyder? He went out and pulled a top 2 JUCO QB with Jake Waters. This year he's starting a true freshman. Hubenak is no Jake Waters.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT