ADVERTISEMENT

Question from an ND Fan -- Texas Football (Post Spring)

Andover1

Feb 23, 2015
Longhorns,

I stopped by before the spring to see what the thoughts on the team were, and the main conclusion was "need more informatoin before judging"

I know it was just spring practice, but I'm wondering what you learned and how things are looking at this point?
Post-Spring Depth Chart?
Strengths?
Weaknesses?
Thoughts on the ND game?

I'm happy to provide any of the same information on ND, if that helps at all!!

Thanks!

Texas is a six win type team. Notre Dame has nothing to worry about. Personally, I think Notre Dame should change it up and run Zaire down their throat. After that, exploit the secondary.

On defense, you won't need much if Swoopes starts. He didn't do much against the second team and he went three and out against the first team.

Notre Dame by 17 or more.

An Aggy chimes in.....

The board has become pretty terrible. These type posters need to be banned instantly. We can't even have Longhorn discussions anymore in the recruiting threads without aggy trolls. Luckily, this ignore feature is pretty good.

Reactions: Bass Elder
The board has become pretty terrible. These type posters need to be banned instantly. We can't even have Longhorn discussions anymore in the recruiting threads without aggy trolls. Luckily, this ignore feature is pretty good.

Joined (a month or so) to discuss Longhorn sports. Turned out 20% Longhorn sports, 80% aggy jacking crap.

Thought about placing all aggy on ignore, they continue to return to poison every SINGLE thread. Just try discussing Longhorn OL rotation and see how that turns out before aggy infestation.

Saving Grace--recruiting info provided is worth sticking it our for now.

Within the last three years subscribed 'two' Longhorn sites--don't really know why it wasn't worth it my books.
Thinking about paysites there is value in staying away from these disgusting inbreds.

Last edited:
Texas is a six win type team. Notre Dame has nothing to worry about. Personally, I think Notre Dame should change it up and run Zaire down their throat. After that, exploit the secondary.

On defense, you won't need much if Swoopes starts. He didn't do much against the second team and he went three and out against the first team.

Broher why ya change ya name punk?

Longhorns,

I stopped by before the spring to see what the thoughts on the team were, and the main conclusion was "need more informatoin before judging"

I know it was just spring practice, but I'm wondering what you learned and how things are looking at this point?
Post-Spring Depth Chart?
Strengths?
Weaknesses?
Thoughts on the ND game?

I'm happy to provide any of the same information on ND, if that helps at all!!

Thanks!
I'm optimistic that Strong & Co. will get it fixed but I think it's still a work in progress. I'd expect to be the underdog as a Horn fan. IMO Swoopes and Heard will continue to improve as will other positions but it's too soon to expect dramatic improvement on all fronts.

IMO:
Depth Chart- A lot of areas and players of questioned where addressed. ie. Bonney stepping up as a nickel back, DL showing up big time and proving they are up to the task at replacing M. Browns production. Malik balling out and living up to the hype.
Still under question- QB position, my best guess Swoopes starts the season at ND but as season progresses Heard becomes QB 1.
2 Deep will have a lot of young guys, going to be hard to win more than 7 games next year and some true freshman will have to fill big roles.
Strengths- Running game. Should benefit from Gray being healthy, OL having more depth and better talent, and the new offensive scheme.
DL should be a strength as evidence from the spring game. Very physical and fast and good at getting to the QB.
Weakness- Uncertainty at QB, injuries to key defensive players, and relying heavily on young/inexperienced guys.
Thoughts on ND- Really looking forward to the game. Prime time, big stage, two teams with a lot to prove. ND ended very strong and TX ended bad, both have QB battles that we want answers to. Both teams have a lot of talent. Bias but my prediction is UT: 30-27

What is your analysis of ND and answers to the same questions you asked us?

Reactions: westx
IMO:
Depth Chart- A lot of areas and players of questioned where addressed. ie. Bonney stepping up as a nickel back, DL showing up big time and proving they are up to the task at replacing M. Browns production. Malik balling out and living up to the hype.
Still under question- QB position, my best guess Swoopes starts the season at ND but as season progresses Heard becomes QB 1.
2 Deep will have a lot of young guys, going to be hard to win more than 7 games next year and some true freshman will have to fill big roles.
Strengths- Running game. Should benefit from Gray being healthy, OL having more depth and better talent, and the new offensive scheme.
DL should be a strength as evidence from the spring game. Very physical and fast and good at getting to the QB.
Weakness- Uncertainty at QB, injuries to key defensive players, and relying heavily on young/inexperienced guys.
Thoughts on ND- Really looking forward to the game. Prime time, big stage, two teams with a lot to prove. ND ended very strong and TX ended bad, both have QB battles that we want answers to. Both teams have a lot of talent. Bias but my prediction is UT: 30-27

That's a little more than bias. Texas doesnt stand a chance. I laugh when you guys write the DL is your strength. Especially when you know both OLs in the Spring game were terrible.

That's a little more than bias. Texas doesnt stand a chance. I laugh when you guys write the DL is your strength. Especially when you know both OLs in the Spring game were terrible.
Pooooooooorrrrrrrr aggggggggggggggyyyy. It must suck to always live in the shadow of The University of Texas, even when Texas is down we are more relavent than our lil bro aggy. aggy reading Texas boards to try and tell everyone they are on the same plain as Texas....no one in the entire country believes that except other aggys. Shouldnt you be on an aggy site talking about your OL and DL? go away aggy.

You laugh when we say the DL will be a strength? Our coaches say it has the chance to be very good and a strength of the defense....I will take their word for it. I never go to aggy sites and never will. I dont care about aggy. My life is not consumed trying to get out from a shadow like aggys are.

IMO:

Strengths?
Weaknesses?
Thoughts on the ND game?

I’ll preface this by stating that in no way is this a troll post, just honest conversation….personal opinion as always.

ND strength is going to be the O-Line. Clearly. Could be a top 3-5 in the country type unit, and that is not being pro ND, that’s a fact that I think most “experts” will agree with. There is depth at almost all positions other than safety, so rotating should not be an issue. I expect a stronger emphasis on the run than in recent years, with an improved Golson taking care of the passing game and Zaire coming in, especially in the red zone. He is a read option game horse.

ND weakness is going to be (as it currently appears, and not including the UCLA safety transfer) depth at the safety position, specifically the back-ups. The starters should be much improved. One 5 star, one 4 star if you’re into the whole star rating system (back ups are 4 stars). ND also appears to not be able to produce a rush with just the defensive line. However, the system they run does appear enough to produce pressure on the QB with NFL type blitzes, stunts, etc.

Thoughts on the ND game: Based on everything I’ve read on both teams, I’d expect ND to win this game as both teams stand, 9 times out of 10. ND is going to be very, very strong offensively, yet is at wait-and-see status on defense.... Texas has QB issues to deal with, should lean on the run game, and avoid mistakes. It’s going to be tough for Swoopes IMO. Tough game to get your feet wet with. I think ND wins by around 17-21 points at least

Strengths?
Weaknesses?
Thoughts on the ND game?

I’ll preface this by stating that in no way is this a troll post, just honest conversation….personal opinion as always.

ND strength is going to be the O-Line. Clearly. Could be a top 3-5 in the country type unit, and that is not being pro ND, that’s a fact that I think most “experts” will agree with. There is depth at almost all positions other than safety, so rotating should not be an issue. I expect a stronger emphasis on the run than in recent years, with an improved Golson taking care of the passing game and Zaire coming in, especially in the red zone. He is a read option game horse.

ND weakness is going to be (as it currently appears, and not including the UCLA safety transfer) depth at the safety position, specifically the back-ups. The starters should be much improved. One 5 star, one 4 star if you’re into the whole star rating system (back ups are 4 stars). ND also appears to not be able to produce a rush with just the defensive line. However, the system they run does appear enough to produce pressure on the QB with NFL type blitzes, stunts, etc.

Thoughts on the ND game: Based on everything I’ve read on both teams, I’d expect ND to win this game as both teams stand, 9 times out of 10. ND is going to be very, very strong offensively, yet is at wait-and-see status on defense.... Texas has QB issues to deal with, should lean on the run game, and avoid mistakes. It’s going to be tough for Swoopes IMO. Tough game to get your feet wet with. I think ND wins by around 17-21 points at least

Swoopes feet are already wet. I like the confidence of a team that went 1-5 to close out the final six games of the year. Before playing LSU... LSU was horrible outside of their defense and that D wasn't great. Hail State made them look foolish in Baton Rouge, Arkansas completely man handled them and of course ND ran all over them. They were pretty hot and cold. They were lousy at times against the run giving up nearly five yards a carry on average. They ranked well, but you have to look at the offenses they faced.

They must be vastly improved from last season! Hopefully it's a game... Texas D may simply be too young in the end. If Texas has not improved at all, then yes, I could see a 17-21 point victory.

Last edited:
Swoopes feet are already wet. I like the confidence of a team that went 1-5 to close out the final six games of the year. Before playing LSU... LSU was horrible outside of their defense and that D wasn't great. Hail State made them look foolish in Baton Rouge, Arkansas completely man handled them and of course ND ran all over them. They were pretty hot and cold. They were lousy at times against the run giving up nearly five yards a carry on average. They ranked well, but you have to look at the offenses they faced.

They must be vastly improved from last season! Hopefully it's a game... Texas D may simply be too young in the end. If Texas has not improved at all, then yes, I could see a 17-21 point victory.
Im no expert with Texas football, and can only go based on what I read and hear....There should be some improvement in both teams if the coaches are worth anything.......

For quite some time, the ND fan base had been looking at 2015 as THE year to make a run. ND started well to get the season going....6-0 with a #4 record and a BS (I'm biased there) call to FSU...then unraveled at the end. They were still a year away. Most domers see this as at least a 10 win team, but this is a tough, tough schedule. We shall see.

Im curious, what's the consensus on Swoopes? We went after him at one point as well.

Texas may be a 6 win type team. There's a lot of unproven talent. On the other hand, Texas has one of the top 3 coaching staffs in the state along with TCU and Baylor, so they may surprise.

Im no expert with Texas football, and can only go based on what I read and hear....There should be some improvement in both teams if the coaches are worth anything.......

For quite some time, the ND fan base had been looking at 2015 as THE year to make a run. ND started well to get the season going....6-0 with a #4 record and a BS (I'm biased there) call to FSU...then unraveled at the end. They were still a year away. Most domers see this as at least a 10 win team, but this is a tough, tough schedule. We shall see.

Im curious, what's the consensus on Swoopes? We went after him at one point as well.

They were prepping him and really didn't get the time they had hoped for. Ash went down in game one and they had zero desire to burn Heards shirt. Based on that statement and what some may not realize, they ran a spread formation at times last year, but they protected Swoopes and didn't allow him to run freely, no back up. He has a great arm, his accuracy and read appear improved, but most question whether he has it between the ears. It was obvious to me that he has fought to improve and has more fire, but he lacks what I consider leadership and drive. Heard pushing him has helped and now they can cut him loose with Heard ready to roll if need be. Personally, Swoopes can be a serviceable QB if the OL protects and cuts down on bad snaps! There are skilled players for him to get the ball to and the TE position appears to have some players. Everything will come down to the OL play...

If Heard wins the job....... He will win some games folks think he shouldn't based on his athletic ability!

Thanks for the information guys, I'm really excited for this game and want to see how things look on both teams (both from a talent/experience standpoint and a matchups standpoint)

The more information you guys are willing to share about the general strengths/weaknesses of the team and each unit, the depth chart, and even individual players...the better!!

As for ND...
I wrote up a summary of ND coming out of spring ball for another forum. I'll post it here, but fair warning, it's for ND fans and it's VERY LONG (though not too homer-ish imo, I tried to stay as objective as I'm able)

But for the short version:

Notre Dame Returns (from 2014)
3,700 passing yards (100% of 2014 production)
30 Passing TDs (100% of 2014 production)
1,800 rushing yards (80% of 2014 production)
20 Rushing TDs (85% of 2014 production)
3,300 receiving yards (90% of 2014 production)
28 Receiving TDs (95% of 2014 production)
So Notre Dame returns basically every offensive-playmaker of any real significance from 2014 (plus adding quite a few more from younger classes)...and that's off an offense that was fairly production in 2014 (Top30 in CFB)

Not noted there is what will likely be the actual strength of ND's offense...the OL
This OL is going to be huge, very athletic, extremely talented, and quite experienced. It's likely to be the best OL at ND since Holtz, as long as the play calling allows them to play to their strengths and be physical

The OL will likely be:
LT -- Stanley (6'6", 325lbs) -- 3rd year starter, returned for senior season after being projected as a 1st round pick
LG -- Nelson (6'5", 330lbs) -- 1st year starter, the only "frosh" on the OL (RS Frosh) . He was a 5* recruit and is an absolute monster in the run game
C -- Martin (6'4", 315lbs) -- 3rd year starter, 5th year senior, brother of Zach Martin (1st Round pick to Cowboys), likely one of the top C's in CFB
RG -- Elmer (6'6" 330lbs) -- 2nd year starter, extremely physically talented player, improved a ton during 2014, was the most improved OL this spring
RT -- McGlinchey (6'8" 325lbs) -- 1st year starter, started the game against LSU (dominated), may have the most physical talent of any ND OL

So the offense is looking LOADED...more on the defense in a bit

Texas wins 27-24, make book on it.

The catholics have had an east coast bias for longer than the sec has been around. Anytime they have a 2-game win streak, they jump up in polls 85%. I'm sorry, I just vehemently despise the domers. Nevertheless, my prediction is unbiased and based on Texas' offensive scheme, Heard replacing Swoopes in the 3rd quarter, and a defense that will get stronger as the game progresses.

aggy are you stupid? aggy are you illiterate? He said, "Longhorns" then a question...I will say this slowly for you..that means he is asking Longhorns a question not aggy...

Of course you are on Longhorn sites more that aggy and probably watch Texas more than aggy...afterall you hate Texas more than you like aggy.

Reactions: Bass Elder
Thanks for the information guys, I'm really excited for this game and want to see how things look on both teams (both from a talent/experience standpoint and a matchups standpoint)

The more information you guys are willing to share about the general strengths/weaknesses of the team and each unit, the depth chart, and even individual players...the better!!

As for ND...
I wrote up a summary of ND coming out of spring ball for another forum. I'll post it here, but fair warning, it's for ND fans and it's VERY LONG (though not too homer-ish imo, I tried to stay as objective as I'm able)

But for the short version:

Notre Dame Returns (from 2014)
3,700 passing yards (100% of 2014 production)
30 Passing TDs (100% of 2014 production)
1,800 rushing yards (80% of 2014 production)
20 Rushing TDs (85% of 2014 production)
3,300 receiving yards (90% of 2014 production)
28 Receiving TDs (95% of 2014 production)
So Notre Dame returns basically every offensive-playmaker of any real significance from 2014 (plus adding quite a few more from younger classes)...and that's off an offense that was fairly production in 2014 (Top30 in CFB)

Not noted there is what will likely be the actual strength of ND's offense...the OL
This OL is going to be huge, very athletic, extremely talented, and quite experienced. It's likely to be the best OL at ND since Holtz, as long as the play calling allows them to play to their strengths and be physical

The OL will likely be:
LT -- Stanley (6'6", 325lbs) -- 3rd year starter, returned for senior season after being projected as a 1st round pick
LG -- Nelson (6'5", 330lbs) -- 1st year starter, the only "frosh" on the OL (RS Frosh) . He was a 5* recruit and is an absolute monster in the run game
C -- Martin (6'4", 315lbs) -- 3rd year starter, 5th year senior, brother of Zach Martin (1st Round pick to Cowboys), likely one of the top C's in CFB
RG -- Elmer (6'6" 330lbs) -- 2nd year starter, extremely physically talented player, improved a ton during 2014, was the most improved OL this spring
RT -- McGlinchey (6'8" 325lbs) -- 1st year starter, started the game against LSU (dominated), may have the most physical talent of any ND OL

So the offense is looking LOADED...more on the defense in a bit
I think ND will be favored and should win at home. Texas is a year or maybe 2 from being back to a top 20 every year team. Depending on recruiting this year and if a QB steps up. Thanks for the info on ND. Y'all look loaded on offense for sure.

I think ND will be favored and should win at home. Texas is a year or maybe 2 from being back to a top 20 every year team. Depending on recruiting this year and if a QB steps up. Thanks for the info on ND. Y'all look loaded on offense for sure.

17-21 points, don't I wish. Look for a good ,close game, N.D always starts slow,as if the guys are afraid of making a mistake.

:pTop 3 staff's in Texas. Oh my.
Aggsy is unproven! Are you wanting to put them up there? The addition of Chavis doesn't make them contenders and Sumlin hasn't accomplished any great feats outside of recruiting and his first class is a complete dumpster fire.

Last edited:
You can't point to Sumlin without 3 fingers pointing back at you when speaking about being unproven. Sumlin has done more than Strong and it's not even close; especially in the State of Texas. Just keepin it real while I can already see premium talking about Heard being to Texas what Johnny was to A&M. They have drugs for that delusion people! ;)

You can't point to Sumlin without 3 fingers pointing back at you when speaking about being unproven. Sumlin has done more than Strong and it's not even close; especially in the State of Texas. Just keepin it real while I can already see premium talking about Heard being to Texas what Johnny was to A&M. They have drugs for that delusion people! ;)

Sure I can, find me someone outside of your delusional fan base that says otherwise.

Lol. What has Sumlin accomplished as a HC? I wasn't putting Strong on a pedestal, but I'm not laughing off a staff that rebuilt Louisvile..

Strong just got to the state of Texas a year ago dipshit... DJ swag has been here for years! His SEC buzz has slowed...

Sumlin has never won anything as a HC and his record in the SEC is crap and mirrors Muschamps... He went 17-15 in the SEC while Summy is 13-11. Muschamp had an awesome first year much like Summy, but he actually went to a BCS game. Who did they lose to? Awe heck, I'll help you out...http://espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=330020057&version=mobile#boxscore&src=desktop A Strong built Louisville team.

Chavis better turn that defense into something or Sumlin will be out of a job.

Last edited:
First of all, let us know when Strong can get to 8-5 at Texas and then we will head to the better records at Texas. Personally, I think he is gone after 2016 and that won't happen anyway.

Don't you guys feel a little silly about bragging about his grade risk filled class now?

First of all, let us know when Strong can get to 8-5 at Texas and then we will head to the better records at Texas. Personally, I think he is gone after 2016 and that won't happen anyway.

Don't you guys feel a little silly about bragging about his grade risk filled class now?

Better records at Texas? We're talking about staff... I doubt Texas was limited to six wins with a healthy Ash. You can bank on Strong getting four years. Texas looks fine by year three.....

Poor Aggy has to deflect from truth when it slaps them in the face and our class isn't filled with grade risks, but I realize math is an issue for most Ags. Heck, most schools are five weeks from finishing the Spring semester and then summer school begins, but by all means take what you read off the Internet as gospel, simpleton.

He's trollin' hard today MM

Last edited:
Here ya go, Irish... Vegas is thinking:mad:mikefinger: Hey, with four months to spare, 5Dimes has opening-week college football lines. Texas is a 12.5-point underdog at Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT