ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed Visitors in Austin this weekend for the Texas Relays and UT football visit:

WR Dee Anderson, West Mesquite - When we last talked to Anderson, he said he was firmly committed to LSU but still open to hearing from Texas. The Longhorns are recruiting him hard and have made him a top priority, which has left quite the impression on him. Anderson said he needed to see the campus and meet the staff before really sharing his thoughts on Texas. He will do just that this weekend when he's in town for the relays. At 6-foot-4, 177 pounds, Anderson is a big target on the outside.

RB Kameron Martin, Port Arthur Memorial - Martin might be committed to Baylor, but he told Horns247 that he was still going to explore other options. That leaves the door open for Texas, which will host him for a visit this weekend. Martin's cousin is Jamaal Charles, who was a stud at Texas and is now one of the best running backs in the NFL. It wouldn't be surprising to see Martin follow in his footsteps. The four-star prospect is ranked as the No. 2 all-purpose back in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite, and is an absolute burner.

RB Devwah Whaley, Beaumont Central - Arguably the top running back in the state this year, Whaley is a complete back who could be a good fit at Texas. Whaley picked up a Texas offer way back in June but hasn't been too high on the Longhorns since then. Getting him on campus and meeting with the staff could open his eyes. Whaley is ranked as the No. 7 running back in the country and No. 18 overall player in the state. This spring, he's also made visits to Oklahoma and Texas A&M, where 100 percent of Crystal Ball voters have predicted him to end up.

S Brandon Jones, Nacogdoches - The country's top safety, according to 247Sports Composite, had a lot of great things to say about Texas at The Opening Dallas Regional a couple of weeks ago. The highlight: Jones said Texas would definitely be in his top five. Texas has a chance to make an even bigger impression on him this weekend when he visits along with his mother. Charlie Strong has had success selling the program to mothers of highly touted prospects in the past. If he can do so this weekend, Texas should be in prime position with Jones.

DE Mark Jackson, Cibolo Steele - Jackson picked up an offer from Texas way back in September and made a visit the following month, so this won't be his first time on campus. With that said, Jackson should get a more personal feel this weekend, and that could pay dividends. Jackson is a four-star prospect and ranked as the No. 13 weak-side defensive end in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. He is considered the best overall player South Texas this season. The Longhorns are looking at him as a "Fox" end.

DE Alton Robinson, Converse Judson - Like Jackson, Robinson is one of the best players in South Texas this year and is being looked at as a "Fox" end. Robinson has been blowing up as of late, earning offers from Baylor, Michigan and Texas A&M. It wouldn't be surprising to see Texas put an offer on the table before Robinson leaves the 40 acres on Saturday. A three-star prospect, Robinson is ranked as the No. 31 weak-side defensive end in the country and No. 70 overall player in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, Manvel - Hemphill-Mapps confirmed with Horns247 that he was going to visit Texas after running on Friday or Saturday. A Texas commit, Hemphill-Mapps is solid to the Longhorns and plans to enroll early. Hemphill-Mapps actually tweeted out a picture of himself in Longhorns gear on Thursday morning and said he was excited about competing in the Texas Relays.

CB Darrion Green, Dallas Woodrow Wilson (2017) - While Green doesn't hold any offers, he's definitely a prospect worth keeping an eye on this spring. Known as "Speedy" for obvious reasons, Green has made unofficial visits to Oklahoma and SMU this spring. He currently trains with Clay Mack, who worked closely with Texas safety Jason Hall.

Possible Visitors:

LB Dontavious Jackson, Alief Elsik - One of Texas' biggest priorities at linebacker, Jackson said he was still unsure if he was going to be able to make it to Austin this weekend. If he can't visit, look for him to attend the spring game.

S Deontay Anderson, Manvel - This is speculation, but Anderson will likely head to practice with teammate Reggie Hemphill in-between races. Anderson is one of the top ranked safeties in the nation.

S Eric Monroe, Galena Park North Shore - Like Anderson, Monroe is one of the top safeties in the nation and is a major target for the Longhorns. Monroe said he wanted to visit Texas this spring and could do it while on campus this weekend.

CB Grayland Arnold, Kountze - Arnold was invited to Texas junior day but could not attend. The Baylor commit might decide to check in with the staff while on campus for the races.

ATH Jeremy Smith FB Marshall - One of my favorite athletes in the class, Smith is a dangerous high school dual-threat quarterback. He will transition to wide receiver at the next level and could get a look from the Longhorns. He holds offers from Oklahoma, Maryland, Michigan State and others.

ATH Tyrell Alexander, Lancaster - Alexander said he was going to try to find time to visit during the races. A three-star prospect, Alexander is projected to play wide receiver at the next level. Like Smith, he's a dangerous high school dual-threat quarterback. Alexander holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, TCU and others.

QB Shawn Robinson, Denton Guyer (2017)- Robinson is only one of a handful of 2017 prospects with a Texas offer. That should tell you how special of a talent he is. It is unclear if Robinson, who suffered an injury, will be on campus for the races.

Quick note: 2015 signees Chris Warren, Davante Davis, Du'Vonta Lampkin and Devonaire Clarington are expected to be at practice this weekend as well.

After a pretty slow few weeks on the recruiting front, things should pick up this weekend with the Longhorns beginning spring football and the influx of athletes to Austin for this weekend's Texas Relays. In addition to covering those two events, the OB staff will be in Houston and Dallas for a Rivals Camp Series Speed & Skills Challenge and a Rivals Camp Series Camp, both of which will host a large number of the state's top prospects. Busy weekend ahead.

One of the participants in this weekend's Texas Relays is Texas 2015 defensive tackle signee Du'Vonta Lampkin, who will be throwing the shot on Saturday.

A pretty cool note on Lampkin and fellow UT signees Devonaire Clarington and DaVante Davis...

Clarington and Davis are flying into Houston this week, where they'll meet up with Lampkin and then make the drive up to Austin and then back to Houston on Sunday. I asked Lampkin how that carpool got set up:

"All of us recruits who have an iPhone, we have a group message. We all talk on there a lot. The plane tickets were a little cheaper for them to fly to Houston rather than Austin, so I just said they could roll with me," Lampkin said.

While in Austin, Lampkin plans to swing by the football offices to catch up with the UT coaches. He said it'll be good to see them and he already feels like he's part of the program.

"It's going to be just like regular, just like the other times. I feel like they're already my coaches," Lampkin said. "I talk to them pretty often. I talk to each coach about once a week."

A one-time Oklahoma commitment before switching to Texas, there were rumors late in the process that Lampkin may have been having second thoughts about his UT pledge. But he never wavered and when asked to reflect on the process he said it was a pretty easy decision to be a Longhorn.

"It wasn't really a tough decision at the end. Once I committed it was all pretty good. There was really nothing really to it. I didn't have any pressure, knew where I was going," Lampkin said. "l liked the coaches, the team, the players. Plus my grandpa lives around there. I have a lot of family that lives around Austin."

Lampkin said he's been told by the Texas coaches he has a pretty good chance of playing early if he works hard before arriving in June. He's currently checking in at 6-4 and 315 pounds. (Suchomel)

One of the visitors we'll be watching closely this weekend is Converse Judson DE/LB Alton Robinson. Robinson isn't competing in the Relays, but said he'll be in town to support his teammates and meet with the UT football coaches.

"I talked to coach (Vance) Bedford on twitter. He was DMing me," Robinson said. "He wanted me to get up a couple weeks earlier, but I had other things scheduled. This is the first time I've had a chance so I'm looking forward to it."

Robinson holds several early offers, including scholarships from Baylor, Cal, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, among others. He's hoping Texas throws its name into the mix.

"I'm kind of looking forward to getting an offer from them. If not, I'll just see what they have if they don't offer."

So far, Robinson's only contact with the UT staff has been through twitter, so he said he's not quite sure what to expect this weekend. If Texas does offer, the Longhorns will be in pretty good shape.

"They'd be in the top two, them and Baylor," Robinson said.

"I think Baylor is a good school before football. Obviously they're a good football team - they've won the Big 12 back to back. It's a little deeper than football though, it's good schooling too. I looked online, with me wanting to major in sports science and them being a medical school.

"Texas, I just grew up watching Texas. I've always wanted to play for Texas. And they're close, and every time i go out of town, go up north, I get on I-35 i pass by the stadium."

The Longhorns appear to be in pretty good standing with Robinson, but the athletic defender said he's in no big rush to make a decision, even if Texas does offer this weekend.

"I don't know how long the process is. I kind of want to take it easy until maybe next season," Robinson said. "I don't want to commit too early and then have to switch. That's not me. I want to make a decision and stick with it. (Suchomel)

Another high-profile player who is hoping to be in Austin, but won't be competing, is wide receiver Dee Anderson, an LSU commitment.

Anderson had plans to come in but his mother's work schedule changes so he's now a bit up in the air. He's trying to get another family member or a coach to bring him and cousin Deandre McNeal to Austin.

"Most likely I am coming. I'm just coming up to hang out, see Malik (Jefferson) and hang out with Deandre McNeal," Anderson said. "I just want to see how campus looks, how the atmosphere is, see everything."

Never one to be a at a loss for words, McNeal has been working on his cousin trying to flip him to Texas.

"He always is (recruiting me)," Anderson said. "He just says come out there, we need you. He says with both of us at wide receiver, who is going to stop us?"

Anderson admits he has an interest in Texas, but what would it take to get the Longhorns to flip his commitment?

"I honestly don't know. They'd just have to blow me away," he said?

The draw to LSU?

"It's like one big old family. Every school says they're a family, but I've felt it there and I know people up there," Anderson said. "I like the campus, like the academic part of it, liked every bit of it."

And Texas?

"Basically, Vince Young. That pops out to everybody. Vince Young," Anderson said. "I don't know too much about them yet, but I know one of the biggest games of the year is Texas-OU." (Suchomel)

I didn't get much time with running back Darius Anderson as he left UT's junior day in February, so I followed up with the George Ranch running back. Texas offered Anderson during the visit, and the Longhorns made a very strong impression. In fact, it's safe to say Texas is the early leader in this one.

"I feel good about that offer," Anderson said. "That was one of my top schools that I wanted to get one from - just because Texas is like, it's the homeland for football. And my family is fans of Texas, has always been."

Anderson followed up the UT visit with a trip to A&M. The Aggies didn't offer but told him they may extend a scholarship later this spring.

He has no timetable for committing, but said he'll probably make a decision sooner rather than later in order to avoid distractions.

"I kind of want to wait but at the same time I don't. I'm trying to commit around the end of spring," Anderson said. "Just so i don't have to worry about recruiting, I can just focus on everything else."

Texas is the team to beat at this stage of the process.

"They're still my top school, so they're still up there," Anderson said. "When i visited, I really liked it. I can picture myself playing there. Their coaching staff seems cool. It just seems right." (Suchomel)

Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal defensive tackle Michael Williams called Charlie Strong on Wednesday night to check in.

"It was good," Williams said of the conversation. "He wanted to see if I was coming this weekend for Texas Relays. I can't. I haven't been able to shot put this year.

"We just talked about how he wants me to stay in Texas, play at Texas. He doesn't want me to leave, go out-of-state to any place like that."

Williams had surgery on his shoulder in November and continues to rehab, which has kept him out of track and field. He's scheduled to be fully cleared in May.

The big DT doesn't have a formal list of favorites, but he did say Texas is one of the schools getting a lot of consideration.

"I haven't eliminated anybody, but they're at the top. I just like coach Strong. You know the defense is going to be good since he is a defensive coordinator, basically. He'll make you work hard, and living in Austin, that would be crazy."

Williams said he'll try to get to Austin soon for a visit, but he's unsure when he'll be able to make the trip.

A quick note of interest … he said his conversations with coach Strong are straight to business and usually don't last very long. His longest talks on the phone have been with Nebraska and Washington (random). In state, he said SMU usually keeps him on the line the longest. (Suchomel)

Texas recently extended a scholarship to Texas Tech tight end commitment Donte Coleman, but Coleman told me early this week that he's not looking to waiver from his commitment to the Red Raiders.

We'll have to see if that changes down the road, but that was his stance on Tuesday.

"The whole thing with Texas, we've been talking on and off. I have been talking to new tight ends coach, coach (Jeff) Traylor. Me and him talked on Monday and they offered this morning," Coleman said.

Any impact, or is he locked in with his Texas Tech commit?

"I'm locked in," Coleman said.

The 6-4, 220-pound Coleman said he and coach Traylor aren't getting into in-depth recruiting conversations at this point, instead just getting to know each other. Coleman does believe Texas is about to "kick it up a notch" in its efforts to win him over.

"When I think of the Longhorns, the first thing that comes to my mind is history. There's so much history there," Coleman said. "They have national championships, they've got a good squad. They've got pieces."

Texas and Oklahoma State are trying to get Coleman on campus for spring games. Coleman said he's "probably not" going to hit either. In talking to Coleman, there did seem to be a bit of hesitation in his voice, so it won't shock me at all if he does make it to UT for a visit at some point. (Suchomel)

I caught up with 2017 Dallas Woodrow Wilson DB/ATH Darrian "Speedy" Green this week, a player who is seeing his stock rise through the recruiting process. Green had tweeted out that he would be in Austin this weekend for the Texas Relays, so we checked to see if there could be any contact with the Texas coaches during the visit.

It turns out that Texas has not been in contact with Green yet, but that could change. In the new year, Green has returned for a visit to TCU, attended UNT junior day and also visited Oklahoma and SMU unofficially. In all, Green says he has received interest and/or communication from about 20 different schools so far.

It's easy to understand some programs' interest. Green, at 5-11 and 170 pounds, is extremely quick and speedy - as his nickname would suggest. He has good length through his arms and legs and possesses above-average suddenness. Another interesting fact about Green is that he is hearing-impaired.

"I had hearing loss when I was three years old and wear hearing aides to hear (partially)," Green said, "I communicate with people using sign language and also by reading lips." Green said that he doesn't have issues with communication at football practice, but does have the help of an interpreter at school that uses sign language to communicate with him about some subjects. Seemingly ones that come less naturally to him than football.

As for Texas, Green said he had not heard from the Horns yet, but, he's isn't deterred by that at this point. "I'm planning to contact the Texas staff myself (if they don't reach out to him first), but only when my junior year starts due to NCAA rules. Texas is my dream school."

Asked what his best skills are on the football field, Green gave a neat answer coming from a prospect who has speed for days and is deaf: "I believe in teamwork and great communication," Green said, "so everyone knows just what to do on the field. It's about bringing your character." (Dunlap)

As mentioned above, it'll be a busy week around the Forty Acres with UT hosting the Texas Relays and the Longhorns football team going through spring practices.

A quick look at the guys we've confirmed will be on campus ...

RB Devwah Whaley - Beaumont Central - Will compete in multiple events at Relays, told us he plans to visit with the coaches.

WR Dee Anderson - West Mesquite - Won't compete at the Relays but is hoping to visit with cousin Deandre McNeal.

WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps - Manvel - UT commitment will compete at the Relays and is expected to visit with the coaches.

WR Devin Duvernay - Sachse - Will compete in a couple events at the Relays; haven't confirmed that he'll meet with the coaches.

DE Mark Jackson - Cibolo Steele - Not competing, but will visit for practice.

DE/LB Alton Robinson - Converse Judson - Not competing, but will visit for practice.

DE Rassahn Thornton - Killeen Shoemaker - Is an alternate in the Relays.

S Brandon Jones - Nacogdoches - Not competing in the Relays but is hoping to make it to practice/visit with the coaches.

S Deontay Anderson - Manvel - Will compete in multiple events at Relays; haven't confirmed yet if he'll meet with coaches.

DB Eric Monroe - North Shore - Alternate for the Relays but told us he'll meet with the football coaches.

ATH Jeremy Smith - Fort Bend Marshall - Will compete in a couple events at the Relays. Said he's thinking of stopping by the football offices but nothing set up yet.

ATH Tyrell Alexander - Lancaster - Will compete at the Relays, may meet with coaches if he hears from them.

2015 signees who will be on campus

RB Chris Warren (alternate at the Relays) - Rockwall

DB Davante Davis - Miami Booker T. Washington

TE Devonaire Clarington - Miami Southridge

DB Du'Vonta Lampkin - (competing the Relays) - Cy Falls

DB P.J. Locke - (competing in the Relays) - Beaumont Central

DB Holton Hill - (competing in the Relays) - Houston Lamar

RB Tristian Houston - (competing in the Relays) - North Shore

WR Ryan Newsome - (competing in the Relays) - Aledo

I'm still laughing over those Lampkin rumors. Lampkin still seems really pissed at Strong for not letting him visit UCLA.
wink.r191677.gif

It's amazing some of the rumors that are started in recruiting. 1) Strong encourages visits 2) Lampkin was allowed to visit our rival, OU.

I knew from the moment that story broke it was a load of crap.

This post was edited on 3/27 10:53 AM by utisdabomb12

Knock on wood, but you know what is pretty surprising. That I can't really remember any kids getting in trouble at Texas relays. And that is saying something. I never really thought about it before. But this is one of the first pretty hands off times on campus for some of these new signees. Year in and out. And for anyone that has been around relays, I mean I bartended in college, and it was a wild weekend that always ended with high police activity. Like Mardi Gras or SXSW or whatever.

Big weekend for Strong and Crew. Recruits absolutely love the Texas relays. Weather is perfect so looks to be a great weekend for our visitors.

Originally posted by Falko:
Big weekend for Strong and Crew. Recruits absolutely love the Texas relays. Weather is perfect so looks to be a great weekend for our visitors.
Not to mention the Austin Urban Music Festival down at Auditorium Shores. They combine this with the track meet every year. The kids dig it.

377970_77fd56534dbd4915bdb6519ac5b52250.jpg_srz_p_419_549_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Apparently, S Brandon Jones won't be in Austin this weekend. Nacogdoches is participating in another relay instead of the Texas Relays. But it looks like LB Dontavious Jackson is on his way to Austin, per his own Twitter.

edit: DT Jordan Elliott (Houston Westside) and S Chris Brown (Alief Elsik) are with Jackson, per 24/7.

This post was edited on 3/27 3:28 PM by Scholz

Do you guys see UT going after QB T. Wallace very hard ? Where does he rank on you QB wish list ? I see where he decommitted from Texas Tech a few weeks back. Do you know if any other Texas schools are recruiting him hard ? I know the Buckeye staff is becoming more and more impressed with him as time passes. Any info on him is appreciated. Thanks.

Dontavious Jackson is still as high as ever on Texas but I don't know his timeframe for a decision. Safety Chris Brown made it and if offered I don't think he'd take long to commit. As you know we here at IT are high on Brown.

Flipping Dee Anderson is still a big question mark. He had a good time and liked the atmosphere. He was told he'd be the outside, tall threat, the team needs. He saw with his own eyes the team needs it. Anderson was told he could compete immediately - as in that very day - rather than the log jam of talent at LSU. Deandre McNeal was in his ear quite a bit about that, which is nice to see because McNeal wants those touches as well. Finnessin' is a 'more the merrier' type it appears. I think UT laid down some important groundwork for Dee, but he's going to require some more selling.

Eric Cuffee enjoyed the practice on Friday and he'll likely be back for the spring game. He wasn't in town on Saturday I don't think.

Gilbert Johnson, Devonaire Clarington, Davante Davis, Chris Warren and Ryan Newsome made it in as well as McNeal. Nice to see the 2015 guys make the effort. I'll catch up with some of them to get some reactions to practice, namely I want to see what Warren thinks of the offense and the offensive line.

- Manvel defensive back Deontay Anderson did not get to visit Texas while on campus, but he had some positive things to say about the program and hopes to get back for the spring game.

- West Mesquite wide receiver Dee Anderson said he enjoyed his time on campus and loved the intensity at practice. For now, however, Anderson says he is still a solid commit to LSU.

- Horns247 can confirm that Alief Elsik linebacker Dontavious Jackson was on campus. Jackson was talking with coaches after practice, and we were not able to track him down afterwards.

- Lancaster defensive back Kenan Ivy, a Baylor commit, visited for practice yesterday and said he really liked the atmosphere around campus. He is not sure if an offer from Texas will come his way.

- Texas is taking a closer look at Lancaster athlete Tyrell Alexander as an athlete who can play either wide receiver or defensive back. Alexander said he enjoyed his conversation with coaching staff and believes an offer might be on the horizon.

- Mineola offensive linemen Austin and Riley Anderson were back on campus after visiting for junior day. The two do not hold Texas offers, but don't be surprised if Charlie Strong and company put scholarships on the table soon.

- Sachse wide receiver Devin Duvernay did not get to visit with the coaching staff while on campus, but he says a trip back is planned for this summer.

- Manvel quarterback D'Eriq King had a positive meeting with the coaching staff. The TCU commit is getting a close look as an all-around athlete.

- Texas commit and Manvel wide receiver Reggie Hemphill said he is looking forward to enrolling early next semester. He added that the coaching staff does not want him to redshirt next year.

- 2017 Cedar Hill wide receiver Jaylon Jackson did not get to meet with the coaching staff but did see practice on Saturday and said he was impressed overall.

DT Jordan Elliott from Houston Westside recaps his unofficial visit to Texas (24/7):

"The fact that I got to see how the coaches coach and how they practice makes me like Texas even more," Elliott said. "The staff told me that they really need me and that they want to help me get prepared for the next level. Coach (Brick) Haley has done a great job of getting defensive linemen to the NFL. That's impressive."

"I loved it," Elliott said. "It was really intense out there. The coaches were really cool, and Coach Haley did a great job coaching the defensive line. He's getting them ready to succeed at Texas and at the next level. I really enjoyed it."

@gkketch: OB$ "I feel better about UT's chances with Kam Martin and Jeff McCulloch after talking to some folks today" https://t.co/Tr9kEax9kM

Update on OL Austin Anderson and OL Riley Anderson of Mineola (24/7):

"It was fun watching coach Wickline," Riley said. "He's a really intense coach. I like his style. He's very hands on. He's a great coach. That's apparent by just watching that one practice."

"I liked the intensity and everything that they do," Austin added. "I like how hard they work. We talk to coach Wickline quite a bit. We have some good conversations and have a lot of fun. I like how he coaches and how he's straight up."

"They would be up there (if they offered)," Riley said. "I like it here. The facilities are amazing, and the campus is great. I love the coaching staff, and it's just a good atmosphere. I hope I'm close to an offer. We just have to see how things progress."

Recruiting Notebook - 3/30/15 (w/ weekend notes)

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

This week's Notebook starts in Houston with the state's top LB and finishes in Central Texas with a trio of up-and-comers. We finish with practice perspective from a few of the state's best prospects who attended Texas Relays and watched some of Longhorns' Spring practices. All in the Recruiting Notebook.
Here's some recruiting intel from the weekend by Nahlin.

Dontavious Jackson, LB Alief Elsik (2016)

Hudl: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2596862/dontavious-Jackson

How it fits at Texas: This kid is huge, and immediately reminds you of Steve Edmond just because of his sheer size and he moves about as well as the big fella. He's built to be a Saban linebacker who can reach any play between the tackles and then stonewall runners with his size and power. For Texas, he's a true mike linebacker who has some real speed when he starts coming downhill. He'd be nasty in UT's blitz package, like Edmond was, or if he grows to 260+, he could become a DL/LB hybrid in the mold of Courtney Upshaw. - Ian Boyd

Coach Says: When you build an inside linebacker in your mind, this is the way he comes out looking. Big, athletic, can make plays from sideline to sideline, and carries a violent disposition. With him being as big as he is currently, I wonder if he will outgrow the position or remain fluid enough to be a guy who can be a three down backer, but regardless you find a way to get him on the field. His ceiling maybe tapped.

How this affects Texas: It affects UT in that he's the top ILB around and really digs Texas. Not to mention he fits a need position. Eric has told us he's the leanest of Longhorn leans, which is a good thing on multiple levels. Other prospects love his infectious attitude and he might bring a hard-hitting safety with him (Chris Brown.) No timetable on a commitment but Texas is in the driver's seat. - Justin Wells

JP Urquidez, OT - Copperas Cove (2016)

Hudl: https://youtube.com/watch?v=82rQRj-Q_U4

How it fits at Texas: Urquidez has the quickness and frame to be a left tackle for Texas, and if given time to continue to fill out his frame and add strength, he would thrive in Wickline's zone schemes where he could use his footwork to set up defenders before latching on and controlling them. It's not clear if he'll become a mauler at the point of attack but he's very capable of getting movement on double teams and staying in front of edge players. - IB

Coach Says: To be honest, I am not too high on him right now. While he has the ideal size you want in an offensive tackle, he doesn't really blow you away in the run game or in pass protection. He is a guy an offensive line coach will take and bank that he can turn him into a player, because right now it looks like his best football is years in front of him. As is, I see him as a guy that needs at least 2-3 years of molding before I am giving him reps in the 2-deep.

How this affects Texas: Urquidez is an admitted Texas lean with hints at committing any day now. We know Wickline wants 5-6 more offensive lineman in 2016. Urquidez fits the mold of what the UT OL coach wants. He'll need to be coached up but he's a natural athlete with tackle feet. Sign him up. - JW

Erick Fowler, DE / Fox - Manor (2016)

Hudl: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3040563/erick-fowler

How it fits at Texas: Fowler's great strength is his COD, especially in short spaces, that allows him to aggressively attack the backfield but then still turn and track down ball-carriers that attempt to put a move on him. His fluidity would really play well at the Fox/Sam edge positions since he could handle the coverage drops and run-fits in addition to the fun those positions can have attacking the edge. Fowler should be a high priority for 2016. - IB

Coach Says: This kid's a killer. He's got twitch, and on top of that, he gives you effort and hustle from snap to snap. I would hate to be a high school offensive lineman and be assigned to stay in front of this guy all night. He can shoot the gap on you, run through or around you, he is strong with his hands and uses them well to shed blockers. He is great in pursuit when you try to run the ball away from him and I like that he is used in a variety of ways from a standup end to a traditional outside backer. After first coming across him I was worried about him being a little light. Well, he has bulked up since (240 pounds), I now have no worries.

How this affects Texas: Fowler is another of the state's top defenders that thinks highly of Texas. He's also the best Fox End in Texas and, like before, plays at a need position. Texas wants 2-3 Fox ends in 2016 and Fowler would be at the top of the list. He's another prospect that wouldn't surprise me with a commitment before the summer time. Huge fan of this kid. - JW

Deontay Anderson, DB - Manvel (2016)

Hudl: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1928545/deontay-anderson

How it fits at Texas: Anderson is the kind of safety that LSU and Alabama have been using to totally shrink the field on opponents for the last several years, his downhill range is comparable to Ha-ha Clinton Dix, Jamal Adams, or Landon Collins. At Texas he'd be ideal as a deep safety, erasing any positive run or throw over the middle of the field with the range to reach the sideline from centerfield against weaker QBs. - IB

Coach Says: I've been high on this kid for some time now. He stands out on a team full of studs and that's what impresses me. He's a guy you want playing centerfield for you because he has a nose for the football and if it goes up in the air, he is more than likely making a play on it. He isn't shy about coming downhill and bringing the wood either, he is looking to drop the hammer and isn't diving at ankles. His ability to return kicks is a bonus in the sense that he is a threat to take any passes he picks off back to the house. He is one of the top safeties in the country for a reason.

How this affects Texas: I think Texas gets one of the Top 3 safeties in TX for this class - Jones, Monroe, or Anderson. My guess is that they land Anderson. A source told me he was an A&M lean for most of his junior season, but that since the Aggies have cooled on him, he's re-evaluating his options. I'm not as big on Anderson as other evaluators maybe because I think Monroe and Jones are a step ahead of him talent-wise. Hell, Alief Elsik's Chris Brown might be better. But he's a take in any class. - JW

DEEP THOUGHTS by: Justin Wells

I've got a handful of quotes following the Texas Relays this weekend as the Horns hosted a few prospects as they put on pads for the first time this Spring.

"It was really great. Very competitive. Love the way the coaches keep on their guys, running on and off the field, they are constantly teaching. They hate walking and it shows. I could see myself in that offense. During the team portion, they threw the ball a lot. I see myself at all three spots: X, Y, or slot, Maybe even as an all-purpose back." - Jaylon Jackson, Cedar Hill - WR (2017). Another Joey McGuire special, Jackson might be the best WR in Texas for 2017. Jackson says UT and Baylor show the most interest right now. He holds offers from Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas. He'll attend the OSU Spring game in two weeks.

"It was nice. Loved the competition and enthusiasm. " - Avery Davis, Cedar Hill - QB (2017). Texas told Davis they like him as an athlete at WR or DB. He's cool with both.

"Had a great day in Austin. I got to see a high intensity practice. It went real well. I was pleased with what I saw. I got the chance to talk to (Texas DL coach) coach Haley and a few of the defensive lineman. I will most likely be back soon for the Spring game." - Jordan Elliott, Houston Westside DT (2016) The Baylor commit is still high on Texas. Hard to tell how much he digs the Horns, but he keeps coming back to Austin. Plus, Dontavious Jackson is in his ear. That helps.

"It was great. I really liked they way they practice. It's tough. I'll most likely be attending the Spring game. Texas talked to me about an offer and told me to hold tight. I can tell (Texas) wants me." - Rahssan Thornton, Killeen Shoemaker - OLB/DE (2016). 5-star DT Kendell Jones linemate at Shoemaker is really interested in UT. With low numbers in the next class, I think Texas is just taking it's time with his recruitment right now.

West Mesquite tight end Donte Coleman might be committed to Texas Tech, but he has a strong family tie to Texas.

Coleman's cousin, Maurice Gordon, was a defensive lineman for the Longhorns from 1998-2001 and went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys. Coleman said he hopes to learn more about Texas from Gordon now that he holds an offer.

"What stands out to Texas for me is its history," Coleman said. "They have championships. They have tradition. I have family ties there. My cousin played there. I want to get his thoughts on Texas too. But I just love their tradition."

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Coleman is an intriguing prospect at the tight end position. He has soft hands and is able to find soft spots in the defense, but his best attribute might be his blocking.

Coleman is ranked as the No. 36 tight end in the country and No. 130 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the third 2016 tight end to receive an offer from Texas - Flower Mound Marcus' Kaden Smith and St. Augustine's Jamal Pettigrew, an LSU commit, are the others.

As mentioned, Coleman is committed to Texas Tech, but he said a visit to Texas could happen in the near future.

Texas is making a strong push for four-star West Mesquite wide receiver Dee Anderson. While he is currently committed to LSU, Anderson is really listening to what the Texas coaching staff has to say.

Just last month, Anderson told Horns247 that he was "interested" in Texas but didn't want to expand because he had yet make a visit. That changed this weekend when Anderson was on campus for an unofficial visit to watch the Longhorns practice.

"Practice was intense," Anderson said. "There was a lot of competition out there. Everyone was moving quickly and fast. There was a lot of repetition too. The offense looked really fast paced. I liked it."

So where does Texas stand now?

"I like Texas," Anderson said. "I really do. The only thing I want to learn more about are the academics. But I like the program and the coaching staff. Right now, I'm still committed to LSU, but I'm just checking things out here at Texas."

Texas already has two commits at wide receiver in Reggie Hemphill-Mapps and Collin Johnson, but the Longhorns will likely take one or two more players at the position in 2016. At 6-foot-4, 175 pounds, Anderson is a tall target with plenty of upside. He is ranked as the No. 16 wide receiver in the nation and No. 13 overall player in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Anderson made the trip along with his cousin and 2015 Texas signee DeAndre McNeal. When asked what McNeal has been telling him about the program, Anderson simply replied: "Get here. That's it." (Holland)

Houston Westside defensive tackle Jordan Elliott is committed to Baylor but is interested in Texas. One of the biggest visitors - literally - on campus this weekend was four-star Houston Westside defensive tackle Jordan Elliott.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder would fill a major need as an interior defensive lineman on the Forty Acres and serve as a mammoth run stopper. Elliott might be committed to Baylor, but his interest in Texas is only growing.

"The fact that I got to see how the coaches coach and how they practice makes me like Texas even more," Elliott said. "The staff told me that they really need me and that they want to help me get prepared for the next level. Coach (Brick) Haley has done a great job of getting defensive linemen to the NFL. That's impressive."

While at practice on Saturday morning, Elliott paid close attention to Haley and the way he worked with the defensive line. Elliott said he could see himself fitting right in.

"I loved it," Elliott said. 'It was really intense out there. The coaches were really cool, and Coach Haley did a great job coaching the defensive line. He's getting them ready to succeed at Texas and at the next level. I really enjoyed it."

Elliott made it clear that he is still committed to Baylor, but he is very much looking at other schools. He added that he plans to return to Texas for the Longhorns spring game next month if he doesn't make a visit to Alabama.

Elliott is one of three major priorities at defensive tackle for Texas - the other two are Killeen Shoemaker's Kendell Jones and Fort Worth All Saints' Michael Williams. Elliott is ranked as the No. 12 defensive tackle in the country and No. 12 overall prospect in the state. (Holland)

Texas offensive line coach Joe Wickline can't tell them apart yet, but he's really making an impression on Mineola twin brothers Austin and Riley Anderson.

The two three-star offensive lineman have been forging a great relationship with Wickline and were on hand to watch him in action at practice on Saturday.

"It was fun watching coach Wickline," Riley said. "He's a really intense coach. I like his style. He's very hands on. He's a great coach. That's apparent by just watching that one practice.

"I liked the intensity and everything that they do," Austin added. "I like how hard they work. We talk to coach Wickline quite a bit. We have some good conversations and have a lot of fun. I like how he coaches and how he's straight up."

While Texas hasn't put offers on the table, the Longhorns could be close. Offensive line is a big need in the 2016 class, and Wickline has made it clear that the Anderson twins are priorities.

So if an offer does come their way, where does Texas stand?

"They would be up there," Riley said. "I like it here. The facilities are amazing, and the campus is great. I love the coaching staff, and it's just a good atmosphere. I hope I'm close to an offer. We just have to see how things progress."

Riley said he is not a package deal with his brother but that they do plan to play with each other at the next level.

Austin is ranked as the No. 74 offensive tackle in the nation while Riley is ranked as the No. 76 offensive tackle in the country, according 247Sports Composite. Next up on their visit schedule is Michigan, Mississippi State and Ole Miss. (Holland/Hummer)

Reggie Hemphill-Mapps has been committed to Texas for nearly a six months now, and the Manvel senior-to-be visited Austin yet again for the Texas Relays over the weekend.

Hemphill-Mapps ran a number of races for Manvel, and he also stopped by Texas' practice Friday to watch and catch up with his future coaches. The four-star wide receiver was happy to run with his teammates over the weekend, but it's his future teammates that got him the most amped.

"It's exciting," Hemphill-Mapps said. "I just can't wait to get here really."

Hemphill-Mapps, who will graduate early at Manvel to enroll at Texas in the spring of 2016, said the coaching staff just wants him at Texas as early as possible to get ready to play.

The 6-foot-1 receiver has the sub-11 100-yard dash speed to split out on outside, but he also said the staff has spoken to him about playing inside, too.

"I'll play a little bit of both outside and inside because of my size," Hemphill-Mapps said. "I'm quicker than I look."

Some reports have indicated Hemphill-Mapps would need to add a little weight to his frame, but he said the coaching staff hasn't said anything to him about that. Currently, Hemphill-Mapps is up to a lean 180 pounds, and said that's the weight he hopes to carry into college.

Hemphill-Mapps traveled to Austin with a number of his football teammates, many of which hold FBS offers themselves. Three others specifically have major Texas interest: four-star safety Deontay Anderson, three-star linebacker Jordan Carmouche and four-star athlete D'Eriq King.

While Hemphill-Mapps said he's not pushing any of the group toward Texas, he did provide a summary of their feelings toward the Longhorns.

"Deontay is the hardest (to tell). I don't even know where he going to go," Hemphill-Mapps said. "DK, I always tease him about the quarterback-receiver duo in college. Jordan Carmouche, he likes Texas a lot, but I'm not sure what he's thinking right now."

Hemphill-Mapps takes a very level-headed view toward playing with his high school teammates in college.

"It would be nice to play with them, but on the other hand do what's best for you," he said. (Hummer)

Two more offers will be coming out by the end of next week, according to Higdon.

LB Dontavious Jackson of Alief Elsik talks about his weekend trip to Austin (24/7):

"I loved it," Jackson said. "I loved the intensity at practice. Everyone was practicing with passion, and I even saw a couple of fights break out. That's what I like to see, so it was definitely intense. All the coaches were really welcoming. I had a great time."

"I want to see that same intensity at other schools when I visit. Texas has a great environment. From the coaches to the leaders on the team, they all showed a lot of passion and were focused on getting better. Even the music was great."

"That's what I want," Jackson said. "I need an intense coach. Wherever I go, I need a coach to help me succeed. I don't need a friend. I want a coach that can help me reach my goals and prepare me for the next level."

24/7 reporting 2017 RB Toneil Carter of Houston Langham Creek could be receiving an offer from UT soon.

He's arguably the top prospect in the state of Texas for the next cycle.

http://247sports.com/Player/Toneil-Carter-77478

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2893060/toneil-carter

Carter is a beast! I wonder who will have the top spot for the 2017 class? Robinson the QB at Guyer is a stud and has my vote for the number one recruit in TX for the 2017 class.

Per Rivals, CB/ATH Parrish Cobb of Waco La Vega plans on visiting UT this weekend:

"I should be going up to UT this Friday and I am hoping to pick up an offer there," Cobb said. "They've been saying they're real close. They wanted to evaluate me a little more and he said that at the Junior Day last month. [Coach Vaughn] was like my next couple of visits they should be offering so I'm going to go up there."

http://247sports.com/Player/Parrish-Cobb-75537

Quotes from current TCU commit ATH/QB D'Eriq King of Manvel after visiting UT over the weekend (24/7):

"Texas is recruiting me pretty hard," King said. "I talk to Coach (Tommie) Robinson the most. We recently talked about an offer. I don't know how far away it is but if they offer, I would definitely consider Texas."

"I liked the intensity," King said. "It was really fun to watch the coaches. I felt like everybody was competing at a high level. There were a lot of great players on that field, so I thought it was a good practice. I really liked it."

http://247sports.com/Player/DEriq-King-34181

24/7 saying current Baylor commit ATH/CB Grayland Arnold of Kountze was not able to make it to Texas Relays, but he's been speaking with Coach Vaughn two times a week. He says UT currently wants him as a utility player but no offer yet.

http://247sports.com/Player/Grayland-Arnold-67493

Texas has made quite the impression on four-star Alief Elsik linebacker Dontavious Jackson.

Along with friend and fellow Texas target Jordan Elliott as well as teammate Chris Brown, Jackson made the drive to Austin to watch the Longhorns practice Saturday. Jackson couldn't wait to see the team in action and said the experience exceeded his expectations.

"I loved it," Jackson said. "I loved the intensity at practice. Everyone was practicing with passion, and I even saw a couple of fights break out. That's what I like to see, so it was definitely intense. All the coaches were really welcoming. I had a great time."

"I want to see that same intensity at other schools when I visit. Texas has a great environment. From the coaches to the leaders on the team, they all showed a lot of passion and were focused on getting better. Even the music was great"

While some recruits prefer a laid back atmosphere, Jackson made it clear that he's an extremely fiery player that brings energy on every down. And he wants his future coaching staff and teammates to reflect that.

Since arriving on campus, head coach Charlie Strong has earned a reputation as a disciplinarian and someone who wants his players to be just as successful on the field as they are off it. Strong's style could play a big factor in Jackson's recruitment.

"That's what I want," Jackson said. "I need an intense coach. Wherever I go, I need a coach to help me succeed. I don't need a friend. I want a coach that can help me reach my goals and prepare me for the next level."

Jackson said he might return to Texas for the spring game next month. He also hopes to see LSU, Michigan and Nebraska before he releases his top 10 this summer - Texas is in prime position to make the cut.

Jackson is ranked as the No. 4 inside linebacker in the nation and No. 17 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite. (Holland)

Manvel safety Deontay Anderson picked up an offer from Texas last May. Manvel has speed to burn.

That was apparent at this past weekend's Texas Relays as the Mavericks reached the finals in the 4x1, 4x2 and 4x4 relays. A big reason why was four-star safety Deontay Anderson.

At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Anderson has amazing closing speed on the football field and can fly down the track. So it's no surprise that Anderson is one of the most sought after recruits in the nation. While Anderson didn't get a chance to meet with the Texas coaching staff while on campus, he remains extremely interested in the program.

"I love Texas," Anderson said. "I love Coach (Charlie) Strong and his structure. Even though I didn't visit today, every time I come here, I love the energy and the atmosphere around campus. I really enjoy it."

Anderson was focused on competing, but he did mention that he plans to make a trip back to Austin before the spring is over to sit down with Strong and his staff to get a closer look at the program.

Texas has already landed one prospect from Manvel in four-star wide receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, who is trying to convince Anderson to join the party on the Forty Acres next year.

"Reggie has been pushing me a little bit," Anderson said. "He's been trying to lead me more towards Texas. He's just telling me great things about the program and things like that."

Anderson is ranked as the No. 3 safety in the nation and No. 6 player in the state, according to 247Sports Composite. Anderson said he does not have any favorites and has not set up any visits this spring.

Anderson is one of three elite safeties Texas is going hard after - Galena Park North Shore's Eric Monroe, who did visit over the weekend, and Nacogdoches' Brandon Jones are the other two. (Holland)

Port Arthur Memorial running back Kameron Martin is committed to Baylor but is interested in Texas. Before the weekend, there was a chance that two of Texas' top running back targets would visit while in town for the Texas Relays.

But while neither Kameron Martin or Devwah Whaley met with Texas coaches over the weekend, the lack of contact didn't set anything back in the Longhorns' recruitment of the two speedsters.

Whaley made it to the meet, but with events all day Friday and Saturday, he was unable to find time to meet with Texas coaches. Martin, meanwhile, was unable to make it to Austin altogether.

Still, Texas is as much in the picture for the pair as it was before the weekend. Both players have remained open to their numerous options, even Martin, who committed to Baylor last summer.

"I'm open to all options," Martin said Sunday. "I'll be [in Austin] for the state track meet (in May), and definitely there this summer."

As Martin told Horns247 last week, Texas has been in touch with him regularly, along with Georgia, Auburn, Notre Dame and Baylor. Martin, a 247Sports composite four-star, he is the cousin of former Texas star Jamaal Charles. Part of Texas' pitch to Martin has been about building his own legacy with the Longhorns, and that's something Martin has been receptive to.

As for Whaley, he said he'll probably visit Texas for the team's spring game on April 18. Whaley, the 172nd-ranked player in the Top 247, is being pursued by a long list of schools, which include Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Similar to Martin, Whaley is "way wide open" and hasn't prioritized his options just yet. Texas has made a good impression so far, though.

"I like the coaching staff and the environment," Whaley said. "And that's really the only things that matter to me." (Osborne)

One player to keep an eye on this spring is Langham Creek running back Toneil Carter, who could easily be the top ranked 2017 prospect in the state.

A source told Horns247 that Carter has yet to hear from Texas, but you can expect that to change soon. Carter already holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M and numerous other major programs.

Carter shined as a sophomore, earning first team all-district honors after rushing for 1,382 yards and 19 touchdowns.

The only place Carter has visited this spring in Texas A&M - he attended the Aggies' junior day in January.

Texas has only put offers on the table for five recruits in the 2017 class, none of which are running backs. (Holland)

OrangeBloods reporting UT has offered DT Glen Logan of Destrehan, LA:

http://247sports.com/Player/Glen-Log...titution=12215

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2800848/glen-logan

The Opening ‏@TheOpening 2m2 minutes ago
Congrats to the 59th invitee to #TheOpening Finals - Manor (TX) DE Erick Fowler (@erick_fowler). #GOTOPEN #Final5

The Opening @TheOpening · 37m 37 minutes ago
Congrats to the 58th invitee to #TheOpening Finals - Hope (AR) DE McTelvin Agim (@So_Splash). #GOTOPEN #Final5

Every indication is that Wickline likes the OT Anderson brothers, so I went through what film I found on them quickly:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3116690/highlights/219602379/v2 (Riley Anderson)

http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Anderson-62956

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1764685/highlights/224726378/v2 (Austin Anderson)

http://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Anderson-62957

- Both of them look almost identical. It's tough to tell them apart, even on thei field their play is very similar.

- Austin Anderson plays at RT/RG for Mineola. He'll probably be a guard in college. Riley is a bit taller and plays at LT, I think he's the more polished of the two overall and can play at tackle.

- Both of them fire off the ball well and get downfield quickly. They're both very good in run blocking because they know how to stay low and win leverage; whoever that HS's O-line coach is, he's doing his job. Opponents are puny though.

- Both are very aggressive and strong. Didn't see Austin, but Riley pulls well. Both get off the line really quickly. Riley has better hands than Austin, Austin gets in trouble against quick linebackers because he sometimes lets his hands/head drop too far and loses his balance. Riley doesn't seem to have that problem.

- Riley's feet are really good on run-blocking; he keeps them wide and has a solid stance. Again, no highlights for pass blocking. It should be noted that Riley and Austin are both much much bigger than the guys they're blocking on the D-line.

- Austin seems really suited for a zone-running scheme. His feet are even better than Riley's, and he is fast when going downfield. Put it this way, he's in many ways the opposite of Urquidez, who has longer arms and more ideal size but is slower and has less refined footwork.

I like 'em both. Their intangibles like size, arm length, etc. won't make scouts drool, and it must be noted that their competition looks pretty mediocre. But they look good.

CB Parrish Cobb of Waco La Vega discusses picking up a Texas offer (OrangeBloods):

"I went up there and I was talking to coach (Chris) Vaughn. Then we went in the D-coordinator's office and that's when they offered," Cobb said.

"That's a really big deal for me," Cobb said. "I've been wanting the UT offer for a pretty long time now."

"I like how they got all these new coaches. I have a bond with the coaches already because I went up there for camp," Cobb said. "I know the school really well. It's been my dream school growing up. I've visited the campus a lot, so that's a plus for UT."

"I'm just taking it all in, trying to see what all schools I can get. Then I'll be able to make my decision later on," Cobb said.

From ATH Grayland Arnold of Kountze (24/7):

"Texas offer should be coming soon," Arnold said via text.

http://247sports.com/Player/Grayland-Arnold-67493

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1787496/grayland-arnold

Scholz, "bomb12", how many DT's do you think we take in the 2016 class?

Find it surprising, with all this years top notch in state talent...Strong now jumps into Louisiana.

Originally posted by Bass Elder:

Scholz, "bomb12", how many DT's do you think we take in the 2016 class?
2 or 3. I've seen "5 D linemen" bandied about but not sure of the mix. I know we're in on K.Jones, M.Williams and J.Elliott pretty hard. We're also talking to a bunch of DEs though. There won't be enough spots for all of the talented D linemen who want to come here this year, that's for sure.

How's this for a prediction in the front 7. Would be pretty filthy.

DT K.Jones
DT J.Elliott
DT M.Williams
SDE J.Madubuike (3 Tech)
WDE M.Jackson
ILB D.Boyd
ILB D.Jackson
OLB E.Fowler
OLB J.McCulloch

This post was edited on 4/7 9:15 AM by Scholz

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
Woah, Jordan Elliott decommits from Baylor. Would think Texas is in decent shape.
Elliott's close with LB Dontavious Jackson and they just visited Austin together. So there's that...

CB Eric Cuffee of Waco High talks about his latest visit to UT (24/7):

"It was a really great visit," Cuffee said. "I had a good time meeting with the coaches again and talking to them about different things. Parrish (Cobb) wanted to go up since he didn't come with me last time, and I was really happy he got the offer. Overall, it was just a great time."

"My dad really enjoyed talking to Coach Strong," Cuffee said. "He said that he really likes the way Coach Strong runs the program. I had a good time talking to coach Strong, too. My favorite part was when he introduced me and Parrish to Lou Holtz. It was great to meet a legend."

"I really like Texas," Cuffee said. "I have a great relationship with the coaching staff. I just like the program overall. I feel like Texas has me high on their board. Coach Strong said he really wants me there."

24/7 saying UT hosted ATH Ryan Becker of Marble Falls last weekend.

He's an OT/SDE currently being recruited by Coach Traylor as a TE:

http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Becker-80084

CB1wOoWUgAAjK7s.jpg:small

This post was edited on 4/7 10:06 AM by Scholz

Maybe some DB dominoes will start to fall soon...

Quote from CB Eric Cuffee of Waco High (24/7):

"I'm making a decision soon. It'll be before The Opening."

Per Scout, CB Jaylon Jones of Allen will be at practice on Saturday and is hoping for an offer.

Interesting development because he's never really talked about UT. He received an invite to "The Opening" last week.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jaylon-J...titution=20589

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2595725/jaylon-jones

O line too...

Per 24/7, OL Jean Delance of North Mesquite is supposed to speak with Strong on the phone tonight.

OL JP Urquidez of Copperas Cove tells 24/7 he is committing on Monday, April 13th (Baylor, Miami, OU, UT). With regards to Urquidez and his decision, the consensus seems to be that he'll go to Baylor.

Colt Barber - "I'm leaning towards Baylor at this stage. Two weeks ago I would have said otherwise. We will see."

Jason Higdon - "I believe it will be Baylor as of Tuesday night. Wick has stayed on him... some inside feel its Texas others feel Baylor." Overall our OL recruiting doesn't seem to have really kicked into gear yet. There was an article on A&M 247 about OT Kellen DieschI couldn't read it, but a Horns247 guy paraphrased it as "it appears he probably won't be signing with UT"

24/7 saying S Brandon Jones of Nacogdoches will "likely" be on campus for the spring game. His high school track team decided not to attend Texas Relays a few weeks ago.

Update on QB Tristen Wallace of DeSoto (24/7). Ohio State is currently waiting on the first guy to commit between he and QB Jarrett Guarantano from New Jersey who just visited Columbus. Guarantano is supposed to decide next week between Ohio State, Tennessee and Rutgers:

"I just talked to coach Meyer about 30 minutes ago," Wallace said late Tuesday night. "I called him. It went well. For the most part we just talked about the same stuff. We talked about my workouts at school, their spring ball, them getting ready for their spring game, that kind of stuff."

"I'm not sure about (Guarantano)," Wallace said. "We didn't really talk about that. As far as I know it is still whoever commits first. For the most part I think everything is the same."

"Everything is the same," Wallace said. "It's still five schools - Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas, Ohio State and TCU. At this point I'm really not sure when I'll decide. I'm not sure if it will be this month or not. It could by any time now. I'm just not sure right now."

"I'm not sure if I'll visit any of the schools again," he said. "Right now nothing else is planned."

Arlington Lamar OG Chris Owens, "ATX on Friday!"
1f402.png
Hookem!

24/7 reporting QB Rex Culpepper of Tampa, FL will visit UT for the spring game next weekend:

http://247sports.com/Player/Rex-Culpepper-35807

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1715388/rex-culpepper

Four-star Navasota wide receiver Tren'Davian Dickson is taking the recruiting process extremely slow after backing out of his pledge to Baylor in February.

This time around, Dickson wants to make the right decision and stick with it. While Texas A&M is reportedly the favorite to land him, Dickson is taking a closer look at Texas. He made an unofficial visit to the Forty Acres this past weekend.

"It was a good visit," Dickson said. "I just checked out practice, and it was a good experience getting to see the way they do things. They were going up-tempo and running the spread. The spread is where I see myself fitting in the best."

Dickson isn't kidding. In Navasota's spread offense, Dickson put up ridiculous numbers as a junior. The 6-foot, 170-pounder caught 90 passes for 2,166 yards and a national record 39 touchdowns en route to helping the Rattlers win the 4A Division I state title.

Texas might already have two wide receivers committed in the 2016 class in Manvel's Reggie Hemphill-Mapps and San Jose Valley Christian's (California) Collin Johnson, but the Longhorns are looking to take one or two more prospects at the position. Dickson is certainly high on their board.

"I got to talk to Coach (Charlie) Strong, and he told me that he needed me there because they are lacking at wide receiver," Dickson said. "Coach (Jay) Norvell talked to me about the receivers he's developed and stuff like that.

"Overall, Texas is a nice school. It's Texas, you know? There isn't much I don't know about them. They have the best history in the state."

Dickson is ranked as the No. 19 wide receiver in the country and No. 15 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite. He said he does not have any other visits planned at this time. (Holland)

Bellaire Episcopal guard Gio Pancotti watched Texas practice last weekend

Texas looks to be in good position with numerous highly touted skill position prospects. But the Longhorns have a major need up front.

Although he currently does not hold an offer from Texas, three-star Houston Bellaire Episcopal guard Gio Pancotti could be an option to help fill the void. The 6-foot-6, 275-pounder made an unofficial visit to Texas over the weekend along with teammates Marvin Wilson and Walker Little.

"We went in pretty early, so we were able to sit in on the players meeting," Pancotti said. "I thought it was pretty cool to see what Coach (Joe) Wickline was looking for out of the offensive line. After that, we watched practice, and it was cool to see how they operate up front."

After practice, Pancotti had an opportunity to meet with Wickline and talk about a potential offer.

"Coach Wickline said he was going to come to our school and evaluate me this spring," Pancotti said. "He invited me back for the spring game, too. Hopefully, I can get an offer soon. I think Coach Wickline is a really cool and funny guy. We get along really well."

Pancotti is ranked as the No. 48 guard in the country and No. 126 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite. He currently holds offers from Houston and Texas Tech, where he is visiting next weekend, and is also receiving strong interest from Kansas State and Texas State.

If Texas offers, Pancotti said he would be extremely interested.

"I love Texas," Pancotti said. "My closet is half full of Texas gear. I even went to the rodeo and won a Bevo stuffed animal. It's really a dream school for me. It would be an honor if they decided to offer me."

Texas has offers out to three guards - Copperas Cove's JP Urquidez, Arlington Lamar's Chris Owens and Bishop Moore Catholic (Fla.) product Parker Boudreaux.

2017 Bellaire Episcopal offensive tackle Walker Little is on Texas' radar

Walker Little, a 2017 offensive tackle from Houston Bellaire Episcopal, visited Texas over the weekend, and the 6-foot-5, 280-pounder left Austin impressed.

"The visit went well," Little texted Horns247 on Tuesday night. "I got to go into the o-line meeting with [OL coach Joe Wickline]. That was my favorite part of the trip, getting to see some of the techniques he coaches and see how he is during a film session, which is fired up."

Little then stopped by the Longhorns' scrimmage to watch the offense go against the defense. He doesn't have an offer just yet, from Texas or anyone else, but Little went home encouraged.

"They told me to keep working and come out to one of their camps this summer," he texted. "Overall, great time. Always enjoy going up there...I'm hoping for an offer, but I think they are holding off to see how I develop throughout the summer and maybe next season."

As a prospect only entering his junior year, Little is open to all options. Ole Miss contacted him last week and told him they planned on watching him during Episcopal's spring practice. Little is also planning on attending an Ole Miss camp in May. (Osborne)

2017 Cedar Hill wide receiver Jaylon Jackson likes Texas early on

Cedar Hill doesn't rebuild, it reloads.

The defending 6A Division II state champions lost star wide receiver DaMarkus Lodge to Ole Miss, but junior Jaylon Jackson is more than ready to take his place in the spotlight.

Jackson has made waves at numerous camps and shined in limited action last season, recording 21 receptions for 257 yards and a touchdown. The 5-foot-9, 150-pounder has also been putting in work this offseason with Dallas-area wide receivers guru David Robinson, who trained Lodge, and former Texas wide out Mike Davis.

Jackson made a visit to Texas while on campus for the Texas Relays and could follow in Davis' footsteps in the future.

"It was a nice practice. There was a lot of competition. I like how the coaches were getting on their players to keep up the fast pace. I didn't get to talk to them afterwards, but I like Texas. It's a big program, and that degree means a lot."

Jackson is projected to be one of the state's top overall prospects in the 2017 class. He currently holds offers from Kansas, Oklahoma State, SMU and Texas Tech. (Holland)

This post was edited on 4/8 10:53 AM by Scholz

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT