ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Like I said, completely dishonest and unobjective. Be who you are, aggy, just don't pretend you want to have an honest conversation. Or maybe you really are this dumb. Either way, you're not worth talking to.

:D Like I said, completely dishonest and unobjective. Be who you are, aggy, just don't pretend you want to have an honest conversation. Or maybe you really are this dumb. Either way, you're not worth talking to.

thats what I thought. this is always your way out of a conversation.

Some good stuff from Adams old man... the dude knows football!

GEORGE ADAMS:

Speaking of Bonney, the father of Jamal Adams called me out of the blue yesterday to talk football. GA, as I call him, still has a keen interest in the Longhorn program and he keeps his ear to the street when it comes to high school football so he has some valuable information from time to time, particularly with defensive backs.

When he's animated he's partially laughing, partially talking. "I watched the Spring game the other day, boy I think I was wrong on that Bonney kid!!! Remember us talking about him when Texas offered? I was like 'what are they doing with this kid'?"

Oh, I remember. I told George by the end of his senior year I liked Bonney more than previously but didn't expect him to be starting at nickel as a redshirt freshman. George knows a lot about football in general, but he really understands defensive back play and he likes what he sees from Bonney. "He can move and he can hit."

He also had this to say, "I see y'all got some quarterbacks now. They're going to have a tough decision to make. You can win some games with either one. They're not great but they looked better than I thought they would." I responded maybe they just looked good compared to LSU's quarterbacks.

And on #46, "That Malik's the real deal. He's the REAL DEAL. Like with J, you can just see it. He might be a three year player."

He went on and gave me some info about agents sending runners already to talk to freshman and that Jefferson needs to stay clear of those guys and just stay focused. Always good catching up with GA, but that recruitment still stings but given the circumstances you can't fault Jamal for picking LSU (speaking of three year players. Cool to see that he's still pulling for Texas, though.

While I had him on the phone I asked him about new Texas defensive line coach, Brick Haley. "I always liked Coach Brick. He's a good coach, sometimes it's just time to move on. He's a good coach and a good recruiter. He does well relating to everyone."

Adams also thought John Chavis was in for a rude awakening in A&M. "He's not going to have all those monsters to work with. When that happens all of a sudden, you're not quite the coach you once were."

Bonney and Hall look like a very nice pair of safeties. I'm looking forward to Chavis proving a bunch of people wrong.

Bonney and Hall look like a very nice pair of safeties. I'm looking forward to Chavis proving a bunch of people wrong.
Don't get me wrong, you are going to see improvement, he's a better coach. The issue on D doesn't lay at the feet of the D coaches, it's systemic and unless Sumlin balances his offense, worn out D's don't put up great numbers. The personnel that Aggy currently has is no where near the same caliber of kids Chavis had at LSU, not even close. Maybe a couple of more years down the road. Hence the reason for Adams comment. Chavis was successful under a completely different style of play on the offensive side of the ball, as optimistic as you are, whether it's blind or informed, I think he's going to need a few more years to get anywhere and a high flying offense wont help.

thats what I thought. this is always your way out of a conversation.
There are only so many times one can point out to a dishonest, intentionally obtuse, unintelligent and/or crazy person that the sky is blue with no results before he realizes it's a waste of time. Live in your bubble in all aspects of your life. It's obviously working for you.

UT will be in Waco today to see CB Eric Cuffee, per 24/7. 24/7 also saying UT has also been by Allen to see OL Greg Little and CB Jaylon Jones.
The staff will also see CB Parrish Cobb while in Waco.

Another kid UT will see today is CB Christian Davis of Waco Midway, per Scout.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2615759/...s/215699376/v2

Per 24/7, Coach Watson should be in Killeen today to see DT Kendell Jones and DE/LB Rahssan Thornton.

Don't get me wrong, you are going to see improvement, he's a better coach. The issue on D doesn't lay at the feet of the D coaches, it's systemic and unless Sumlin balances his offense, worn out D's don't put up great numbers. The personnel that Aggy currently has is no where near the same caliber of kids Chavis had at LSU, not even close. Maybe a couple of more years down the road. Hence the reason for Adams comment. Chavis was successful under a completely different style of play on the offensive side of the ball, as optimistic as you are, whether it's blind or informed, I think he's going to need a few more years to get anywhere and a high flying offense wont help.

I agree we need to balance our offense and I agree our practices need to be more physical. Reports from spring are that these things are happening. I think you are off regarding the talent we have on D and I am excited about our dline and specifically the depth of our dline. If the linebackers remain healthy we'll be good to go. Your points and opinions are fair but as you said from an informed perspective I believe you are wrong. We'll see. We've been starting freshmen and sophmores on our dline since 2012, I am very much looking forward to putting some upperclassmen on the field. We shall see.

...Reports from spring are that these things are happening...I am excited about our dline and specifically the depth of our dline...we'll be good to go...I am very much looking forward to putting some upperclassmen on the field.
I never tire of seeing the unbridled aggy optimism every single offseason. It will build into a crescendo in August at which point your fans will have convinced yourselves you'll be in the playoffs and then, you know, you actually have to play football games. :D

Reactions: swVAHorn
I never tire of seeing the unbridled aggy optimism every single offseason. It will build into a crescendo in August at which point your fans will have convinced yourselves you'll be in the playoffs and then, you know, you actually have to play football games. :D
We shall see... Is the narrative.

2014ShameWeek7-2.png

From IT. The last quote is pretty funny.

JEFFREY MCCULLOCH

I caught up briefly with the Aldine Davis linebacker. McCulloch is similar to Malik Jefferson in that he can play Mike, Sam, or even Fox. At this same stage, he's not as explosive as Jefferson (nobody is) but he's actually bigger at 6-foot-2, 235. One area where he's actually better than Jefferson is as a striker. Texas has prioritized him and he's visited frequently, even staying the night in Austin at least once.

Right now he tells me he's "kinda lost on what school to attend." With it only being early May, McCulloch has a long time to figure things out. He at least knows what he's looking for. Said McCulloch, "Premier academics and a chance to win a national championship and pursue and NFL career."

Let's see here, Texas has premier academics. Charlie Strong's track record of putting players - especially defensive players - in the NFL speaks for itself. I'm sure that will be mentioned quite a bit today on the NFL Network's telecast. If Strong can make McCulloch believe the Longhorns will be competing on the grand stage then Texas will have covered all its bases in this recruitment.

As Helmet Boy mentioned recently, this class has a chance to develop some big time momentum down the stretch. If it does, you could see some major dominoes dropping in succession late in the cycle.

JORDAN ELLIOTT

He's talking up USC behind the scenes quite a bit and even to some reporters. When I mention late cycle momentum Elliott is one of the guys I'm talking about it helping with. The Westside defensive tackle is one of the state's best players regardless of position. Landing Dontavious Jackson will only help UT's chances here.

MARCEL SOUTHALL

You may have missed it, but Texas offered Duncanvilledefensive tackle, Marcel Southall.Who? Yeah, exactly, but turn on the film and you see the bounce you're hoping to.

My initial response when hearing of the offer is Texas must not feel comfortable with its positioning with the current defensive tackle offers (Jordan Elliott), but looking further, Southall can absolutely play and fits the scheme as a guy who can play 3-tech on out to 5-tech. He even plays defensive end in high school. In that regard he reminds me of Chris Daniels (no idea why the staff hasn't offered him - they obviously know something I don't).

Southall has had a busy week, picking up Baylor and Oklahoma offers as well.

CHARLESTON RAMBO

The 2017Dallas Woodrow Wilson wide receiverwas visited by Texas this week. He also picked up an offer all the way from Miami. When Miami is tripping to Dallas to offer a player who can't sign for 22 months, that's a good indication the kid can play.

I was told by someone close to Rambo that he thinks a Texas offer could be coming his way soon. That person said what makes Rambo special is he's smooth, has good size, great hands, and make the big play. Rambo had 722 yards receiving on just 33 receptions.

He's a Top 200 player in the nation already.

SOME TEAM INFO

With spring behind us, I asked a team source who the best athletes on the team are.

"If you're talking about size, strength and speed, Malik Jefferson is already the best athlete on the team. Of the defensive line, that's Ridgeway, he's the strongest for sure. Dorian Leonard is probably the best athlete from a strength and speed standpoint. Johnathan Gray is the strongest running back, Duke Catalon is the most explosive. Sedrick Flowers is the strongest offensive lineman, Jake Raulerson might be the best athlete until Patrick Vahe arrives. John Bonney, at defensive back."

Wait, what? Over Antwuan Davis?

"Yeah, Bonney is a better all-around athlete. He moves much better than Davis and is getting stronger. He's not as strong as Antwuan but he's not weak either."

GEORGE ADAMS

Speaking of Bonney, the father of Jamal Adams called me out of the blue yesterday to talk football. GA, as I call him, still has a keen interest in the Longhorn program and he keeps his ear to the street when it comes to high school football so he has some valuable information from time to time, particularly with defensive backs.

When he's animated he's partially laughing, partially talking. "I watched the Spring game the other day, boy I think I was wrong on that Bonney kid!!! Remember us talking about him when Texas offered? I was like 'what are they doing with this kid'?"

Oh, I remember. I told George by the end of his senior year I liked Bonney more than previously but didn't expect him to be starting at nickel as a redshirt freshman. George knows a lot about football in general, but he really understands defensive back play and he likes what he sees from Bonney. "He can move and he can hit."

He also had this to say, "I see y'all got some quarterbacks now. They're going to have a tough decision to make. You can win some games with either one. They're not great but they looked better than I thought they would." I responded maybe they just looked good compared to LSU's quarterbacks.

And on #46, "That Malik's the real deal. He's the REAL DEAL. Like with J, you can just see it. He might be a three year player."

He went on and gave me some info about agents sending runners already to talk to freshman and that Jefferson needs to stay clear of those guys and just stay focused. Always good catching up with GA, but that recruitment still stings but given the circumstances you can't fault Jamal for picking LSU (speaking of three year players. Cool to see that he's still pulling for Texas, though.

While I had him on the phone I asked him about new Texas defensive line coach, Brick Haley. "I always liked Coach Brick. He's a good coach, sometimes it's just time to move on. He's a good coach and a good recruiter. He does well relating to everyone."

Adams also thought John Chavis was in for a rude awakening in A&M. "He's not going to have all those monsters to work with. When that happens all of a sudden, you're not quite the coach you once were."

Update on TE Jack Stoll of Aurora, CO (24/7):

“The temptation to commit was certainly there (while visiting UT),” Stoll said. “I learned a lot more about the tradition and everything was just better in person. I liked the coaching staff as well and the city of Austin."

“I had a great time at Nebraska,” Stoll said. “They have a phenomenal fan base, and the atmosphere is great. There is a lot of excitement around the program with Coach (Mike) Riley. I would get to be a part of something special.”

“The earliest I’ll commit is early June, and the latest is right before my senior season,” he said. “During the spring evaluation period, I just want to talk more to the schools and weigh their pros and cons.”

LSU has now offered OL Denzel Okafor from Lewisville.

By we I clearly me you because I'm very confident in what I expect. I already told you im in on the bet my money is where my mouth is.
Message me your email... click on the avatar icon top right of your screen. click the envelope, type email, press enter. I'll send you a contract from my attorney.

Reactions: gordo107
Message me your email... click on the avatar icon top right of your screen. click the envelope, type email, press enter. I'll send you a contract from my attorney.
:D I expect crickets. You just called out pooch's hummingbird ass.

Update on TE Jack Stoll of Aurora, CO (24/7):

“The temptation to commit was certainly there (while visiting UT),” Stoll said. “I learned a lot more about the tradition and everything was just better in person. I liked the coaching staff as well and the city of Austin."

“I had a great time at Nebraska,” Stoll said. “They have a phenomenal fan base, and the atmosphere is great. There is a lot of excitement around the program with Coach (Mike) Riley. I would get to be a part of something special.”

“The earliest I’ll commit is early June, and the latest is right before my senior season,” he said. “During the spring evaluation period, I just want to talk more to the schools and weigh their pros and cons.”

LSU has now offered OL Denzel Okafor from Lewisville.

Finally watched his film, I really like Okafor. I was not impressed with Tope Imade's film but he's got really good size.

Lets set the parameters and get this done. Regular season only no conference championship games or bowl games included. Total defense is the only metric. Do you agree

Finally watched his film, I really like Okafor. I was not impressed with Tope Imade's film but he's got really good size.

Lets set the parameters and get this done. Regular season only no conference championship games or bowl games included. Total defense is the only metric. Do you agree
I'll take care of that, it will all be in the contract. You can turn it down or sign and deposit funds. Message your email or STFU.

I'll take care of that, it will all be in the contract. You can turn it down or sign and deposit funds. Message your email or STFU.

No sir the parameters will be agreed upon right here on this post. That way when I get the contract and verify what i am signing we can point back right here to what we agreed to so no BS.

No sir the parameters will be agreed upon right here on this post. That way when I get the contract and verify what i am signing we can point back right here to what we agreed to so no BS.
There wont be any BS, that is why there is a contract in place... I make a lot of money doing this. It's a healthy habit. Not only that, but we are cluttering a topic. This conversation can take place via the method I gave you.

I'm done with you.

TEXAS by far plays the tougher non conference schedule and the offenses in the BigXII are more explosive......and of course Pooch believes Chavis is worth 75 spots in the aggsy defensive ranking from last year........Pooch lost all credibility with his Chavis love fest. I also believe TEXAS will end up better than AtM in defense at the end of the year.

So much for Wheeler being a grade risk! Sounds like he's moving in early so he can head straight down after graduation.

This is the best way to deal with that pathetic bunch. I made a bet last year with an aggy that A&M would lose 4 games after Arkansas, he completely disappeared after the Mississippi State game. Never showed his face again to own up to the bet. Such a sad and pathetic bunch. They did the same thing in the basketball bubble thread where they just completely disappeared and changed their name. I wouldn't make any type of bet with them unless it's handled this way because they will just disappear like the pathetic bunch they are. They run their mouths but once mediocrity hits they hide like the pansies they are.

Per Scout, the UT staff should be focusing on Louisiana and Florida this week.

Higdon's chat yesterday:

- Don't worry about OL recruiting, it's May.

- Had a very positive convo with DT Kendell Jones regarding the recent draft results and Louisville's success.

- Staff is still making a hard run at DE McTelvin Agim, the interest is there but Higdon still thinks he goes elsewhere in the end.

- We're still in the mix with DT Jordan Elliott. He plays things close to the vest. Feels better about K. Jones.

- "Kendell Jones has visited Texas 13 times so far...meaning...he will also be back for summer camp..then a UOV for a game then OV after season..making 16 trips to the University of Texas from one of the top players in America"

- 95% chance we land at least one of either Christian Wallace, Deontay Anderson, Eric Monroe, or Brandon Jones at safety.

- We still have a punchers' change for TE Jamal Pettigrew.

- Texas is in a very good place with CB Eric Cuffee.

- Doesn't think there will be a commit in the next few days.

From Scout: Caught up with Longhorn target from North Shore, DB Eric Monroe. He was kickin' it on the beach so I didn't want to take too much of his time. But when asked about the schools recruiting him the hardest, of course Texas was mentioned. Just before hanging up, he has this to say about about coach Charlie Strong...

"He wants to get after everybody (defensively). He don't play that girl stuff. He wants to hit people in the mouth, and then get back up and do it again."

Quotes from OL Denzel Okafor since receiving a UT offer (OrangeBloods):

"I had been in contact with a UT coach, coach (Joe) Wickline, since last year. He said to stay in touch, he would get up to see me. I kept working hard and he showed up on Wednesday," Okafor said. "He saw me practice and I called him that night. When I did, he told me I had developed a lot, had gotten a lot better since we saw you and they offered. I took me a year of work for that offer so it felt good."

"They saw I used my arms a lot, my wingspan, my 7-foot wingspan," Okafor said. "I use that to keep defenders at a distance from me. He said that was something that was good and the way I extend my hands."

"I believe I've improved. I have been working hard at it, and I think I've shown out some."

"A lot of schools are (standing out). About six of them," Okafor said. "TCU was my first offer, so they're still on top for me. Then OU and UT came. Then LSU, A&M and then Arkansas. Those are the top ones for me right now."

"He's (Charlie Strong) a good guy, a new coach and really trying to turn the program around. I just admire new coaches and what they can do," Okafor said.

"I'm using this summer to just cross out what I don't actually want to do. I want to major in kinesiology, so I want to research what schools can give me that," Okafor. "I'll maybe commit this summer, or may take it into my senior season or even after the season if I have to."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT