ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player development plays a big role in recruiting.

Almost every recruit has dreams of playing in the NFL one day. Finding a school or a coach known for churning out professional-level talent is often imperative for prospects.

Charlie Strong and Texas both earned some major points in that category over the weekend. Strong saw 10 of his former Louisville players, which he recruited and developed, selected in the 2015 NFL Draft while Texas had the most picks out of any school in the state with five.

Needless to say, recruits were impressed. Here is their reaction to Strong and Texas’ success.

DT Jordan Elliott, Houston Westside, “NFL player development plays a big role in my recruitment, and I know Charlie Strong is a great coach. I have high hopes for UT as a team.”

WR Devin Duvernay, Sachse, “That’s big. It’s plays a lot into my recruitment because the NFL is where I want to be.”

San Jose Valley wide receiver Collin Johnson can't wait to play for Charlie Strong, “Wherever I go, I’m not trying to be a good player. I’m trying to be developed into a great player and person, and Coach Strong is the guy that can do that.”

ATH Christian Wallace, Sealy, "I noticed he's been getting guys in the NFL. He's a great coach, to be honest. He cares more about our character in other things than just football, and that helps."

RB Lil’ Jordan Humphrey, Southlake Carroll, “It shows that (Strong) really helps his players develop on and off the field. It plays a big role for me considering it’s my dream to play in the NFL.”

LB Demarco Boyd, Gilmer, “It just shows that the man (Strong) knows what he’s doing, and that makes it look good on him while he’s here at Texas. I’m sure he’s about to do the same thing he did at Louisville. The show continues on.”

Harker Heights lineman Chris Hughes is extremely familiar with Texas' NFL success. “It was great to see those guys get drafted. It’s a compliment to Coach Strong and Coach (Mack) Brown. They both trained those guys to the best of their abilities, and it shows. It reflects on the coaching staff and makes you think as a recruit that maybe you could be there one day. And you know those coaches can get you there.”

TE Peyton Aucoin, Brother Martin (La.), “It definitely plays a big part in my recruiting because playing in the NFL is a dream of mine, and I know with Coach Strong, he could make it possible.”

TE Donte Coleman, West Mesquite, “It was good to see. It plays a big role.”

OL Denzel Okafor, Lewisville, “It just shows how he is changing the program around and what’s going to happen in a few years.”

OL Tope Imade, Arlington Bowie, “It would be a good opportunity for me to play with a coach like that who I know can develop me into an NFL caliber player.”

FB Hightower DT Darius Anderson is hoping for an offer from Texas, “It’s great to see all the players (Strong) put out, and it plays a good role in my recruitment. But at the end of the day, the NFL will find you if you can play ball.”

OL Travis Bruffy, FB Ridge Point, “I think it’s great how many NFL players (Strong) is producing. But the total amount of players a program puts in the league doesn’t really sway me towards them. It all about how many offensive linemen get drafted.”

WR Kofi Boateng, Arlington Lamar, “Coach Strong is all about developing and getting the most out of his players and getting them to the league, which is a good thing. But NFL development doesn’t play an extreme factor because my philosophy is if you want it badly enough, you’ll do the extra work to make it regardless of what resources you have.”

WR Donell Dunn, Cy Springs, “I believe Coach Strong getting that many players into the NFL is a great thing, and it shows how much talent he and UT produces. It’s important because my second goal is to go to the NFL. My first is my earning my degree.”

DB Louis Kelley, Pflugerville, "I couldn't believe how many guys he had, and he had a lot of guys get drafted last year, too. I really take that into account."

NFL development is a huge deal to (2017) Wylie East running back Eno Benjamin, “I think it’s a huge deal. (Strong) has proven that he can put players in the NFL, and that plays a huge role in my recruitment. That sticks out.”

WR Jaylon Jackson, Cedar Hill (2017), “I was surprised, but it was good to see. It looks like the NFL values some of the things that are being taught by Coach Strong. The NFL teams must have a good relationship with him to pick that many players. It plays a big role in my recruitment because I want to go to the NFL.”

QB Kellen Mond, SA Reagan (2017), “It’s a huge positive for a recruit to know that Coach Strong does such a great job developing college players to play in the NFL.”

ATH J.K. Dobbins, La Grange (2017), “I think it’s good that he produced double digit NFL draft picks because it shows that he is developing his players. He’s straightening things out at Texas. I’d like to know that if I go there, I’d have a good chance of conquering my dreams.”

QB Jaylon Mascorro, Refugio (2017), “Seeing that he is producing double digit NFL draft picks makes me even more interested in Texas. The more NFL players they develop, the more the school interests me. I want to be able to go to a college and do nothing but get better. It plays a huge role in my recruitment.”

LB Baron Browning, Kennedale (2017), "Yes, I noticed [the draft], somewhat. I consider that a little, yes."

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
There wont be any BS, that is why there is a contract in place... I make a lot of money doing this. It's a healthy habit. Not only that, but we are cluttering a topic. This conversation can take place via the method I gave you.

I'm done with you.

Thats what I expected, but whenever you're ready brother we can make this happen. Just so we're clear if we are both in agreement to make a bet we will agree to terms first and in public before any information is exchanged, im putting up just as much as you so you won't be dictating terms to me. BTW, Charlie had a very good showing in the draft, you guys should be excited about that.

Thats what I expected, but whenever you're ready brother we can make this happen. Just so we're clear if we are both in agreement to make a bet we will agree to terms first and in public before any information is exchanged, im putting up just as much as you so you won't be dictating terms to me. BTW, Charlie had a very good showing in the draft, you guys should be excited about that.
You had your chance to comply limp dick....I told you to get off the board to finalize this on Friday around 3:30 (I was ready and awaiting your email address). I certainly don't take orders from folks that aren't paying my attorney fees. I was in Vegas all weekend and still available and awaiting your email address, I have since moved on. You can't comply with simple instructions and the bet had nothing to do with anyone else on this board. You're not fooling anyone, so get lost! I no longer have a deal for you, that's not how it works and I no longer trust your ability to be honest!

Last edited:
You had your chance to comply limp dick....I told you to get off the board to finalize this on Friday around 3:30 (I was ready and awaiting your email address). I certainly don't take orders from folks that aren't paying my attorney fees. I was in Vegas all weekend and still available and awaiting your email address, I have since moved on. You can't comply with simple instructions and the bet had nothing to do with anyone else on this board. You're not fooling anyone, so get lost! I no longer have a deal for you, that's not how it works and I no longer trust your ability to be honest!

What was the bet, who has the better record this year between Texas and a&m?

Ags have to find LB's or CB in the JUCO route asap. The SEC will shred those massive holes on that side of the ball.

The average 247 composite rating of Strong's players from Louisville who were drafted was 0.8770. For the five Texas players drafted, it was 0.9445. Two 5-stars, two 4-stars and one 3-star at Texas, while all but three of the Louisville guys were 3-stars. 3-star Charlie indeed.

1) Sign with Charlie Strong
2) Make NFL
3) Profit

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
24/7 saying Texas visited DE Justin Madubuike of McKinney North today.

Update on DE Mark Jackson:

2016 four-star defensive end Mark Jackson (Cibolo, Texas) had Texas and Texas A&M coaches visit him this week. They didn’t tell him too much but they both shared a similar message. “[They both told me about] getting down to campus but they couldn’t say too much,” he said.

Alongside the Longhorns and Aggies, multiple schools are recruiting him. The Cibolo native holds offers from Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. The 6-foot-4, 230- pound junior is the No. 8 defensive end in Texas and runs a 4.60 40-yard dash. Like his fellow recruits, he is in the middle of spring football. Jackson said the Cibolo Steele Knights begin practicing with pads on Monday. He added that he’s excited about putting on the pads again. “[It] should be fun,” Jackson said. Jackson also said he visited TCU last weekend. He said he liked his time on the Fort Worth campus. “It was very nice,” he said. “I liked the coaches.”

Jackson also talked about his visit to LSU on April 18. “It was ok, I guess,” Jackson said. The defensive end said he didn’t like the campus.

Jackson visited Texas for its junior day on Feb. 28 where he spent time with defensive line coach Brick Haley. Haley explained the Longhorns’ “Fox” position to Jackson and what role he would play with the team.

Article on Hulk:

Killeen (Texas) has one of the most physically dominating high school football players you will ever see.. The 6-foot-4 ½, 360-pound monster defensive tackle plays for Shoemaker H.S. He is the No 18 ranked overall player regardless of position.

Depending on whom you speak with, Kendell Jones is arguably the No 1 ranked defensive tackle in Texas. Currently ranked as the No 2 inside defensive linemen in Texas, No 2 in the Midland region and No 5 in the class of 2016. As you can imagine, he holds offers from some of the top college programs in the country. Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Texas are but a few teams waiting in line to land the big five-star standout.

Many high school football players kept a close watch on the 2015 NFL draft, a draft where Charlie Strong and his Louisville staff had a huge impact. Coach Strong landed ten players at Louisville from the 2011 class drafted in the NFL draft. Ten players out of a possible 22, which checks in at an astounding 45% in his first full class at Louisville. Time will tell if he and his staff have the same results from his first full class at Texas, but this is something Kendell Jones takes great comfort in.

”It shows me that Charlie can develop talent to get them into the NFL,” Jones said. “It’s not always guaranteed to get players to the NFL, but it gives you great confidence about that possibility.”

Linebacker coach Brian Luc Jean-Mary is his primary recruiter, but he has great relations with the head Longhorn.

”I have a great relationship with Charlie Strong, and I am developing one with Brick Haley,” Jones said. “Coach Strong is cool and funny and Brick came from LSU and we are developing one, so it’s pretty good. Coach BJ is my main recruiter from Texas and he came to my game on Friday, so I was happy to see him. He keeps it real with talks about what I need to do with my grades and stuff.”

The recruiting game is very hard to follow with the amount of media attention these top players receive. At times, it is very difficult to read a recruit, in particular, a top tier player. One thing you can do is follow the actions of a player. Often it will give you all the information you need and, in this case, can only be viewed as a positive for Texas.

”Texas offered me early,” Jones said. “I have been on visits to Texas about 13 times. It’s a really good school. It’s a really big school and of course the players are all great and seeing Malcom Brown getting drafted was cool.”

Fans from Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and Arkansas should all expect to see Kendell Jones make visits during the summer months.

Michael Giglio, Director of Player Personnel at the time when Louisville had so much success followed Strong to Texas for the same position. I think you saw first hand what a top-flight recruiting person could do year one with the Longhorns. He relates well with kids and the families and it really puts Texas in an even better position when these kids visit campus. I think you will see the same type of outcome for the class of 2016.

Last edited:

Lol, whatever dude. I'll leave it on the table until the season kicks off.

You have had more than 72 hours to comply. I've never received an email address. The only way this continues is if we up the stakes! All you have to do is send me an email address, everything is electronic, including transfers. This will be my last post on the subject. You've had ample opportunity to comply!

that's a lot of info from someone not following recruiting

If you are referring to me, I haven't been. I really have no clue where players are leaning. All I care about right now are numbers and what our priorities are.

Update on OL Jean Delance of North Mesquite (24/7):

“People think I’ve forgotten about Texas, but I haven’t,” Delance said. “That’s just not the case. Overall, my interest in Texas right now is really high. Texas is going to see me in Austin a lot this summer. I’m telling you, I’m going to go down there a lot.”

“I talked to Coach BJ for a little bit, and he just told me to keep doing research on the program,” Delance said. “He said to take a look at what they’re building and the kind of players they’re putting out. I think they are going to prove they can turn it around.”

“I saw the numbers today, and there is no question he’s going to do that at Texas,” Delance said. “He had 15 players (in the NFL Draft), which is a lot. He’s going to keep putting out those numbers because he’s going to keep landing four- and five-stars. I wouldn’t be worried about not making it to the NFL if I got to Texas.”

UT's 3-man DB class this year: Eric Cuffee at CB, Eric Monroe at Nickel and Christian Wallace at SS. Boom, done. DBU!

Nearly every school in the country wants to add Galena Park (Tex.) North Shore defensive back Eric Monroe to the 2016 roster. And rightfully so. He’s got the game that translate to the college level and the best of the best have taken notice.

Of all of the offers he has in hand, Monroe said that four primary schools have been recruiting him the hardest. Texas is one of those schools.

“I have a good connection with Texas, and the coaches. I see (assistant) coach (Chris) Vaughn as someone I can talk to about anything,” Monroe said. “He’s like a father figure and that is good for me, something that I’m looking for. If I am going to be away from home, I want to have someone who I can talk to and who will listen.”

It seems like the 6-foot-1, 187-pound Monroe gets that with the Longhorn coaches, especially Vaughn. The last time he was on campus was for a junior day. He said that he was scheduled to make the spring game too, but an obligation to take the SAT was the priority at the time.

To go along with the connection he has with his recruiting coach, he also spoke on the city of Austin, which he called a “great town.” The environment is one of many things that Monroe will be looking for going forward. Surely he is evaluating the other options like LSU, Texas A&M and Baylor (the other schools in hot pursuit) much like he is at Texas.

Monroe said that it’s his versatility that has a number of coaches wanting him. He said that he refers to himself as “the best DB in the country” because he said he has the ability to play anywhere in the secondary at a high level.

One thing that Texas coach Charlie Strong is looking for is guys who have that edge and belief in their game. In fact, Monroe noticed that when he was last on campus.

“He’s (Strong) a good defensive coach. He wants to get after everybody,” Monroe said. “I love the fact that he tells you how he feels and his defenses have some swag. He’s not one who plays that girl stuff, he wants his defense to hit people in the mouth. And then he wants them to get back up and do it again.”

All of the four programs that have been listed as recruiting him the hardest have all seen Monroe on campus. He mentioned that he does not have any more trips schedule (at this time) for the rest of off spring. But he did say that he would like to check out some out-of-state options like UCLA, Florida, West Virginia, Oklahoma and Oregon.

He said that he does not plan to trim his list until The Nike Opening Finals, which will be in Oregon in July of this year.

Marvin Wilson's top two are Texas and LSU so far. Parents love Strong.

Darius James is transferring. I figured he would work his way back into the lineup...guess not.

This thread reminded me when the Aggies started missing on d recruits left and right and nearly lost Mac they claimed that Chavis was the most important piece. Then when Chavis failed to bring on a single recruit they claimed his scheme alone would make the d competitive in a single offseason, which in turn was going to make them championship caliber because of their supposedly unstoppable offense. Chavis, yet another championship banner for Texas A&M

Just saw on the news here in DFW Avery Johnson brought Saban with him to North Texas to try to help recruit. And will be on the move to different states.

Darius James is transferring. I figured he would work his way back into the lineup...guess not.

Out of shape, injury prone, and not very good. I have no clue how he was rated so highly coming out of HS when the dude had serious injury issues in his JR/SR year. Camrhon Hughes stole his job after horrible performances against Baylor and OU. My only regret is we didn't see attrition early, but we needed bodies last year.

James was going to play very little this year if at all because of his injury. So in three years of college ball he will have 2 starts under his name, both of which were terrible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT