ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSJ, Daeshon Hall, Noel Ellis, Hardreck Walker, James White, Tavares Garner, Victor Davis, Shaan Washington, Jeremy Tabuyo, JJ Gustafson, Reggie Chevis, Jeremiah Stuckey, Alex Sezer, and Justin Manning still remain from that class. 9 of those guys are expected to start or be contributors to this years team. Other than Golden and Claiborne we haven't lost anything that wasn't replaced by more talented kids. I'm really hoping Manning has his stuff together becasue I believe he is a guy that will really benefit from a scheme change, he just didn't fit the 2 gap scheme snyder was running but when he did play he always seemed to be able to penetrate. From our 2014 class we have 9 guys that are scheduled to start this year and 8 more in the 2 deep. from the 2015 class we have 2 guys slated to start in Kirk and Evans and 6 more expected to be contributors. 16 of our starters are from the 2013-2015 classes with the 2013 class just now entering its junior year.

9 of 31 from Sumlin's foundation class, outstanding, lol...We have youth starting from the 2014 and 2015 class, your 2013 class is a bust dude.... Your not making your team or Sumlin look any brighter going into year four!

You want to talk about taking numbers and having depth, you don't have any depth......

Last edited:
Raulerson has contributed and will play, Warrick has contributed and will play, Swoopes, Perkins, Hughes has contributed and will play, Swaim contributed and just got drafted. Yup, Macks 2nd to last class has 6 of 15 making contributions, would have been 7 if a kid could keep his pecker in his pants. It's not nearly the bust that is Aggy fanboy lust over their 2013 top 9 ranked class of 31... Not to shabby for a tiny class of leftovers for Strong to work with!

Dude, it was a terrible class for you guys. Everyone you just listed on offense contributed to the worst offense, worst QB play, and worst offensive line in team history. Is that really contributting? Everyone you listed on offense save for Perkins you are desperatly trying to replace with more or actually talented players. Nobody is lusting over it either just like us our last 2 classes have been more talented and have guys we are leaning on to contribute to our 2015 season.

9 of 31 from Sumlin's foundation class, outstanding, lol...We have youth starting from the 2014 and 2015 class, your 2013 class is a bust dude.... Your not making your team or Sumlin look any brighter going into year four!

You want to talk about taking numbers and having depth, you don't have any depth......
We are deep at every position other than corner and LB. Depending on how healthy our guys are at LB we'll be fine there. You're nott hurting my feelings calling the 2013 class a bust, there certainly were bust and it could have been better but even after that we still have guys who are going to be contributors this year.

Dude, it was a terrible class for you guys. Everyone you just listed on offense contributed to the worst offense, worst QB play, and worst offensive line in team history. Is that really contributting? Everyone you listed on offense save for Perkins you are desperatly trying to replace with more or actually talented players. Nobody is lusting over it either just like us our last 2 classes have been more talented and have guys we are leaning on to contribute to our 2015 season.

Perspective... I never said the class was awesome, it had 15 members of which 6 are getting on the field. Back to where we started, it's no where near the bust that is Aggy 2013...You said it was! Let's get our facts straight.

You think you now what you're talking about when you really don't have a clue. The 6 I mentioned will continue to contribute as will a 7th, Antwuan Davis whom is also on the 2 deep and as you said, these guys are finishing their sophomore year...

Like I said, not to bad for the scraps that Strong was left with...

Neither class is worth a crap. You guys aren't even arguing who is the tallest midget, you are basically arguing who isn't the shortest. Both classes are major failures.

The measure of quality in a class isn't how many people contributed it's wins. No matter what someone has to contribute. A player can either not contribute, contribute to losses, or contribute to wins. Contributing to wins is the only positive thing.

List of guys that Higdon "is keeping a close eye on for a variety of reasons":

1. Kendell Jones, DT Shoemaker (Texas)
2. Deontay Anderson, S Manvel (Texas)
3. Christian Wallace, S Tompkins (Texas)
4. Brandon Jones, S Nacogdoches (Texas)
5. Mark Jackson, DE Cibolo Steele (Texas)
6. Justin Madubuike, DE McKinney North (Texas)
7. Eric Fowler, DE Manor (Texas)
8. Jeffrey McCulloch, LB Aldine Davis (Texas)
9. Dee Anderson, WR West Mesquite (Texas)
10. Tren’Davian $#@!son, WR Navasota (Texas)
11. Dontavious Jackson, LB Elsik (Texas)
12. McTelvin Agim, DL Hope (Arkansas)
13. Trayveon Williams, RB C.E. King (Texas)
14. Kellen Diesch, OL Byron Nelson (Texas)
15. Jordan Elliott, DT Westside (Texas)
16. Tristen Wallace, QB DeSoto (Texas)
17. Jamal Pettigrew, TE St. Augustine (Louisiana)
18. Jean Delance, OL North Mesquite (Texas)
19. Eric Cuffee, CB Waco (Texas)
20. Parrish Cobb, CB La Vega (Texas)
21. Jack Stoll, TE Regis Jesuit (Colorado)
22. Marcel Southall, DT Duncanville (Texas)
23. Austin Myers, OG Manvel (Texas)
24. Denzel Okafor, OL Lewisville (Texas)
25. Lil’Jordan Humphrey, WR Southlake Carroll (Texas)

Running back rundown: Updates on Trayveon Williams, Kam Martin, and Devwah Whaley, all courtesy of Wilkerson.

Kam Martin

Alright, so as I reported a couple of days ago Baylor running back commitment Kameron Martin (Port Arthur, Texas/memorial) is going to visit the Longhorns this weekend while he’s in town competing in the UIL state track and field meet. Martin runs the second leg of memorial’s 4x1 and the last leg in the 4x2 relay that set a national record of 1:23.84 three weeks ago at an area meet. “They told me to get up there right after i run,” he said. “I might, if we don’t leave early on sunday, i’ll go back up there on Sunday.”

Martin is for real about visiting the longhorns this time, unlike when he said he was going to visit texas’ spring game. He said that the Longhorns, particularly running backs coach Tommie Robinson, is being upfront and truthful about why it took so long to offer. “They are telling me that the reason they didn’t offer me so early was because of the offense that they were running,” Martin said. “They wanted to recruit bigger backs. the offense that they have right now, I can be used in it and come in and play right away.” Does that reasoning make sense to him? “Yeah. i just wanted to know why they didn’t offer me [early],” he said. [Robinson] was upfront with me. He said, ‘kam, you know what? We didn’t offer you because we didn’t know if you could play in that type of offense. So we didn’t know how we were going to use you.’” Martin said that in addition to Baylor and Texas, the programs coming after him the hardest right now are Georgia, Auburn and Oklahoma.

As for the main focus for martin this weekend, he thinks his school has a great chance at coming away with the most important trophy: the state title. “We have a really great chance to win the whole meet,” he said. “that is our ultimate goal. we want to win the state championship, not just the relays. but we are going to have to win the relays to reach our goals.” Martin knows there is a lot of pressure on he and the rest of his 4x2 relay team to perform on the biggest stage. he thinks they’ll be fine. “We set the record in the national record in the 4x2 so a lot of people will be looking at us to see if we can set it again,” he said. “We are going to be the top dog.”

Trayveon Williams

The longhorns are progressing with most, if not all of the 2015 running backs they’ve offered. But are they doing enough to put themselves in a position to get a signature from a couple of them on national signing day? It certainly appears that way after talking with four-star Trayveon Williams (houston/king). The no. 18 running back and no. 286 player in the country couldn’t be happier with how things are going right now between he and UT. “My relationship [with Texas] is outstanding,” he said. “Me and coach [charlie] strong talk a lot and have built a great bond.”

Williams has seen his stock soar over the last couple of months as he now has offers from TCU, missouri, nebraska, oklahoma, oklahoma state, smu, texas, texas a&m, texas tech, arizona state, boise state, colorado, kansas state and oregon state, among others. Back on March 14, the dynamic Williams cut his list of contenders to 10. they include: ASU, houston, missouri, oklahoma, oklahoma state, SMU, TCU, Texas, texas a&m and texas tech. If he were to trim that list even more, odds are UT would find itself on there. “The Longhorns are definitely one of my top schools,” Williams continued. “If I were to have a top 5 there is no doubt they’d be in there.” One reason, aside from his growing comfort with the staff, is Texas’ new offense. “Their new offense fits perfect with my game,” he said. “It’s just enjoyable to watch the new transition.” Williams hopes to learn more about it and how he could possibly fit in it sometime very soon. “I am planning on making it some time before may is over,” he said.

Devwah Whaley

Everybody wants Devwah Whaley in the backfield. Everybody.

The four-star running back from Beaumont (Texas) central is one of the most sought after recruits in the country with an offers list that includes schools like texas, alabama, arizona state, arkansas, baylor, georgia, ole miss, nebraska, oklahoma, stanford, TCU, Tennessee and texas a&m. As recently as March 27, Whaley, the No. 9 rb in the country and No. 157 player overall, told our Sooners Illustrated’s Bob Przybylo that OU was slightly in the lead.

The consensus among a big chunk of the country seems to believe that he is A&M’s to lose. When I asked him if that was true, he told me it was not.

So what about the Longhorns? “I’ve been communicating with them a lot lately,” he said. “They are high up there. I like their new offense. I run the same one in high school so…” Whaley is hopeful that he’ll visit the Longhorns this summer.

From HornsDigest, update on a few recruits in LA:

Texas has been out and about in Louisiana and paid a visit to defensive tackle Glen Logan this week. Also, four-star CB Kristian Fulton had a visit from the Longhorns. Look for both players to visit Texas over the summer and we will see how it progresses from there. Both tight end prospects from Brother Martin are getting visits from Texas as well. Irvin Smith and Peyton Aucoin, teammates also in Louisiana. Another tight end prospect receiving a visit was Jamal Pettigrew from St. Augustine H.S., also in Louisiana.

Texas has lots of options at TE. I think that Jack Stoll and Jamal Pettigrew are real options at this point in time. I keep hearing Kaden Smith will look around but that is coming more from his parents (possibly) and not the kid himself. That one will be a long uphill battle.

Quotes from AJ Brown of Starkville, MS (OrangeBloods):

"That's a big offer for me. Texas, I like Texas. But I really don't know too much about them yet. I just can't wait until I take that visit."

"To be honest, I don't know (what it would take to get him out of the southeast). I'm not even focusing on that right now, where I'm going to go to school or what I'm going to do. All I can say, I'm just trying to make the best decision for me and my family, wherever it may be. If that's Texas, that's where I'll go."

Watson is looking at WR Aneas Jackson from Plugerville Connally for TE.

http://247sports.com/Player/Aneas-Jackson-30458

Neither class is worth a crap. You guys aren't even arguing who is the tallest midget, you are basically arguing who isn't the shortest. Both classes are major failures.

The measure of quality in a class isn't how many people contributed it's wins. No matter what someone has to contribute. A player can either not contribute, contribute to losses, or contribute to wins. Contributing to wins is the only positive thing.

Oh, I agree. The only reason Aggy 2013 ever gets brought up to begin with is because it is Sumlin's first full class on the job! We can only truly compare it to Strong's 2015 class, down the road since they are the two coaches currently in the drivers seats!

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
RSJ, Daeshon Hall, Noel Ellis, Hardreck Walker, James White, Tavares Garner, Victor Davis, Shaan Washington, Jeremy Tabuyo, JJ Gustafson, Reggie Chevis, Jeremiah Stuckey, Alex Sezer, and Justin Manning still remain from that class. 9 of those guys are expected to start or be contributors to this years team. Other than Golden and Claiborne we haven't lost anything that wasn't replaced by more talented kids. I'm really hoping Manning has his stuff together becasue I believe he is a guy that will really benefit from a scheme change, he just didn't fit the 2 gap scheme snyder was running but when he did play he always seemed to be able to penetrate. From our 2014 class we have 9 guys that are scheduled to start this year and 8 more in the 2 deep. from the 2015 class we have 2 guys slated to start in Kirk and Evans and 6 more expected to be contributors. 16 of our starters are from the 2013-2015 classes with the 2013 class just now entering its junior year.

RSJ: 4 catches for 441 yards and 4 TDs in his 1 year of production.
Daeshon Hall: 56 total tackles in 2 years. Wasn't even a regular starter on that crappy defense.
Walker: 36 tackles in 2 years.
White: 153 yards rushing in 2 years. 62 and 64 yards came in mop up duty against Lamar and SMU.
Garner: Who? 3 tackles in 2013 and didn't even play in 2014.
Davis: El oh el. Even aggys make fun of how terrible this guy is in coverage.
Washington: 90 tackles in 2 years.
Tabuyo: El oh el. 123 yards in 2 years.
Gustafson: Serious knee problems. Hasn't played a down of college football.
Chevis: El oh el.
Stuckey: Who?
Sezer: El oh el:
Manning: Probably won't play another down at A&M.

Just give up idiot. You act like these guys are All-Americans, when RSJ and Washington are the only 2 players out of the bunch that might amount to anything. 2 out 40 in Sumlin's 2013 class. The fact that you even listed some of these guys as a reason your 2013 class might be decent is laughable. Really stretching when you list guys like Chevis, Davis, Gustafson, Sezer, and Garner.

RSJ: 4 catches for 441 yards and 4 TDs in his 1 year of production.
Daeshon Hall: 56 total tackles in 2 years. Wasn't even a regular starter on that crappy defense.
Walker: 36 tackles in 2 years.
White: 153 yards rushing in 2 years. 62 and 64 yards came in mop up duty against Lamar and SMU.
Garner: Who? 3 tackles in 2013 and didn't even play in 2014.
Davis: El oh el. Even aggys make fun of how terrible this guy is in coverage.
Washington: 90 tackles in 2 years.
Tabuyo: El oh el. 123 yards in 2 years.
Gustafson: Serious knee problems. Hasn't played a down of college football.
Chevis: El oh el.
Stuckey: Who?
Sezer: El oh el:
Manning: Probably won't play another down at A&M.

Just give up idiot. You act like these guys are All-Americans, when RSJ and Washington are the only 2 players out of the bunch that might amount to anything. 2 out 40 in Sumlin's 2013 class. The fact that you even listed some of these guys as a reason your 2013 class might be decent is laughable. Really stretching when you list guys like Chevis, Davis, Gustafson, Sezer, and Garner.

First, RSJ had 49 catches 465 yards and 4 tds in his one year of production. The rest of these guys are just now entering their junior year what were you expecting? Daeshon Hall is going to start opposite Garret and he is expected to be a breakout player. White was behing 3 5 star running backs and we didn't run the ball at all where you expecting 1000 yd seasons. You guys are rushing to judgment on these guys and its pretty funny. Hey maybe im wrong though. Its possible.

First, RSJ had 49 catches 465 yards and 4 tds in his one year of production. The rest of these guys are just now entering their junior year what were you expecting? Daeshon Hall is going to start opposite Garret and he is expected to be a breakout player. White was behing 3 5 star running backs and we didn't run the ball at all where you expecting 1000 yd seasons. You guys are rushing to judgment on these guys and its pretty funny. Hey maybe im wrong though. Its possible.

A lot of excuses there. So you have 2 guys in the 2013 class that might produce come their 3rd year? Sounds about right.

Hold on Bomb...it at least means they are better than some guys out of the stands...i.e...12th man types

Is aggy going to hold tryouts like tech did and get people out of the stands and have them try out to play corner? If they can run they can play!

where do you think our defense will finish next year bomb?

Somewhere between 70 and 90 in total defense and 60 to 70 in scoring defense. you will kill the weak ass non conference schedule you have and again get killed by your conference foes.

Somewhere between 70 and 90 in total defense and 60 to 70 in scoring defense. you will kill the weak ass non conference schedule you have and again get killed by your conference foes.

Fair reply. Where do you think you guys will finish? I am predicting somewhere between 50 and 70 with signs of improvement by the end of the season. I think you guys are going to play the young guys and rightfully so, I think the first half of the schedule is going to bring your rankings down as the kids get acclimated and comfortable in the scheme. Im expecting us to finish between 40 and 60, I beleive the biggest issue than will affect us is the health of our linebacking core.

Fair reply. Where do you think you guys will finish? I am predicting somewhere between 50 and 70 with signs of improvement by the end of the season. I think you guys are going to play the young guys and rightfully so, I think the first half of the schedule is going to bring your rankings down as the kids get acclimated and comfortable in the scheme. Im expecting us to finish between 40 and 60, I beleive the biggest issue than will affect us is the health of our linebacking core.

Texas will have a top 20 defense and a top 10 scoring defense. Our linebackers will have some growing pains but our secondary and dline will kill.

But most of all our offense will be better and will move the ball enough to give our defense a little rest. I expect us to more like the 2004 Texas team was. That is very strong defense and a offense that can run the ball but not a good passing team.

Ha, I give them a tad bit more credit, not much. they'll be around top 50 in total D and I imagine it will be on the wrong side of the line. The depth sucks at LB and they won't go injury free with the shoulder injuries they've been experiencing. I don't expect their tackling woes to completely vanish due to lack of discipline attacking the ball and their corners are not good. Passing teams will torch them and running teams will still pound the ball up their gut. They'll be better than 108 in total D, but they wont jump all the way up into the top 50. They're simply not that talented on that side of the ball.

Sounds like Kendell Jones just committed to Bama. They just keep reloading. Granted, it's a long way until NSD.

Our defe
Sounds like Kendell Jones just committed to Bama. They just keep reloading. Granted, it's a long way until NSD.
I felt like that staying close to home business was all talk. He's a monster, Aggy will count that as a win for them even though they have to face him!

Bedford just offered high 4-star CB Trayvon Mullen out of Pompano Beach, FL.

CBs make him look high on LSU and FSU, but he's been talking to the TCU and Baylor guys on 247, so this is a full-scale national recruitment.

Big takeaway: Miami sucking has really opened to floodgates for everyone else in South Florida

Here's his current top-10 - we should be very very in this given our DB bonafides and SoFla connections if he likes the other Texas schools this much:
1: TCU 2: LSU 3: FSU 4: Baylor 5: Auburn 6: Florida 7: tOSU 8: UGA 9: aggy 10: Clemson

http://247sports.com/Player/Trayvon-Mullen-60781
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Trayvon-Mullen-164027

Kellen Diesch
says he's going to commit on the first day of summer. It's almost definitely going to be Oklahoma. Despite the fact that he's from Norman and this has been close to a done deal for months, precautions against OL recruiting vaginitis should be taken now so you aren't infected by the more hysterical elements of the fanbase.

Not much new info from Higdon's chat:

- RB Kameron Martin and S Brandon Jones are coming to Austin for the track meet. By rule they can't interact with coaches on the visit, but they can tour the campus and meet with current players.

- Staff is very positive about 2016 recruiting as well as Heard's continued development.

- Texas will be in Coconut Creek, FL next week to meet Trayvon Mullen. He's a pure CB, just like Parrish Cobb (as opposed to a guy like Eric Cuffee who can play at CB, FS, or even SS).

- Texas is still very much inthe mix with CB Kristian Fulton out of LA, who will visit Texas in the summer.

- Coaches are still in contact with the same WRs; Tren'Davian $#@!son, Dee Anderson, and Devin Duvernay. T.J. Vasher "might pop up some moving forward".

Texas will have a top 20 defense and a top 10 scoring defense. Our linebackers will have some growing pains but our secondary and dline will kill.

But most of all our offense will be better and will move the ball enough to give our defense a little rest. I expect us to more like the 2004 Texas team was. That is very strong defense and a offense that can run the ball but not a good passing team.

I find it very interesting that you expect your defense to be better after the losses and the youth you will probably be playing. It will be very impressive if you do end up with a top 10 - 20 defense IMO. However i will say that my opinions are mostly based on your defensive line, if they do step up then I can see the improvement you are expecting.

Ha, I give them a tad bit more credit, not much. they'll be around top 50 in total D and I imagine it will be on the wrong side of the line. The depth sucks at LB and they won't go injury free with the shoulder injuries they've been experiencing. I don't expect their tackling woes to completely vanish due to lack of discipline attacking the ball and their corners are not good. Passing teams will torch them and running teams will still pound the ball up their gut. They'll be better than 108 in total D, but they wont jump all the way up into the top 50. They're simply not that talented on that side of the ball.

I think overall thats a fair pre season assessment.

Wow thats a big get for them, I wasn't expecting him to end up there, I thought Texas led with us behind trying to make up ground. I wasn't in love with his film but as a prospect he is a freaking monster.

Our defe

I felt like that staying close to home business was all talk. He's a monster, Aggy will count that as a win for them even though they have to face him!

Don't blame him, he's a good fit for Bama's defense as a zero or three tech.

I still put the odds of him staying committed to Bama less than 50 percent based on other factors.

So is he not overrated now that he's in the $EC$EC$EC, pooch?

Thanks again, aggys, for opening up the state to the South btw. Not that you'll ever win anything by the move but you effed up the state. Good job.

OuBzAvV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT