ADVERTISEMENT

Returning starters in the power conferences (according to Phil Steele)

Here's the returning starters from non power conferences. Of note Rice, who isn't returning much at all.

Link

Interesting they list Texas with only 13 starters returning but Gray isn't one of them. I'd also consider our dline with 3 returning starters. DBs has 2 but we have about 5 guys with huge experience. Also we have 5 returning starters but more like 10 with the experience we have behind them.

Not sure I'd put too much stock in these numbers.

Welp, Kansas might be down to 6 returning starters if they lost both their RB and QB.

If you're interested, here is a link to the "more complete" list from Phil Steele. This national list does include ND. Steele ranks ND #2 (tied) with 19 returning starters
https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JAN15/DBJan23.html

I don't know how Phil Steele counts "returning starters" to get that number, but ND could be a little tricky to count this year, as we have several positions where we could be returning more than 1 "starter" due to players who started the 2013 season but missed the 2014 season (due to injury or suspension)

If you're interested in the slightly more "in-depth" veiw, the players I would list as "returning starters" for ND are:

Offense
1.) Golson (QB)
2.) Folston (RB)
3.) Prosise (RB/WR)
4.) Fuller (WR)
5.) Brown (WR)
6.) Robinson (WR)
7.) Carlisle (WR)
8.) Stanley (OT)
9.) Martin (C)
10.) Elmer (OG)

Defense
11.) Okwara (DE)
12.) Trumbetti (DE)
13.) Rochell (DE/DT)
14.) Day (DT/DE)
15.) Jones (NT)
16.) J. Smith (LB)
17.) Schmidt (LB)
18.) Grace (LB)
19.) Onwualu (LB/S)
20.) Russell (CB)
21.) Luke (CB)
22.) Farley (NB/S)
23.) Shumate (S)
24.) Redfield (S)

(Notre Dame doesn't return either its PK or P from special teams)

I know it seems crazy to list 24 players as "returning starters" but guys like Prosise/Carlisle have both started 10+ games by splitting time in the slot (due to injuries), the same is true for Grace/Schmidt both starting at MLB. Additionally, scheme changes have made it so players like Farley (who started 2+ straight seasons) aren't technically listed as a starter for 2015 but he plays more minutes than the "starter" who is actually listed on the depth chart (Onwaulu)

There are also guys like Zaire (QB), McGlinchey (OT), Tranquill (S/LB), Cage (NT), etc. that have each starter at least a couple games...but imo they wouldn't qualify as "returning starters" at this point

Just some extra information...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT