ADVERTISEMENT

Shaka Smart Watch

Man, I'm pumped about the possibility of Shaka Smart in Austin. (as just posted in another thread) Had no idea the full extent of quality person & coach we have a shot in Smart.

Brad Evans:

Shaka to Texas would turn college hoops world on its ear. Damage he could do with considerable money/resources scary. Could build dynasty.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
Brad Evans:

Shaka to Texas would turn college hoops world on its ear. Damage he could do with considerable money/resources scary. Could build dynasty.

Now that is scary. We would also keep some of the in state recruits and probably bring top out of state recruits also
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm a fan of Shaka smart. Really think he could be the shot in the arm this program needs. I think his style of play will create some excitement which Patterson wants as he tries to raise money for the new arena.

Smart admitadly wasnt y first choice. I was on the Marshall/archie miller bandwagon but smart is a great coach and the fact that Texas may land him after he's turned down sevreal big jobs sends a message through college ball imo

Whatever direction we go, I will feel 1000x more confident in Patterson making a hire over Dodds. Patterson looks at more than last years record and the "gut feel" in making hires. He is a basketball guy and I have a lot of confidence that he has a very comprehensive evaluation. If he thinks Smart is the guy, then I am for it. I don't buy the rah rah headline remarks like turning the basketball world on its ear, but, we will see what happens.

Chip is saying we've already met with Shaka twice.

Our top two candidates, according to Chip, are Shaka and Jay Wright.

We want Shaka! Anyone who says otherwise is clueless... This cat has a phenomenal resume built on his own game plan developed under some elite coaches. Young, intelligent and innovative. Please come wreak "Havoc" in the Big 12!!!

GVFbI3L.gif

I may be in the minority, but if you could get Jay Wright, he would be the best. Shaka Smart has had the luxury of basically flying under the radar at VCU while playing schedule not comparable to a Big 12 schedule. Wright has played a Big East schedule for years and still thrived. Smart might be perfect and set the world on fire, but of those two I would choose Wright. Just one opinion.

I don't know. Wright's a Philly guy. He's definitely had success though. I guess if Larry Brown can fit in down here, he can.

Look at his NCAA torny record. For starters (and I'm not going back to look), has knocked off several top 15 teams...including a top ranked Kentucky. Pretty sure he has been NCAA every year but one since coaching.

Don't know why I'm even responding-it's a bait to start with. F'n aggy.

I'll go on record. This is a GREAT hire. Think Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell, without the a**hole as a coach. Big XII basketball is about to get fun.

Originally posted by JoeAg:
I may be in the minority, but if you could get Jay Wright, he would be the best. Shaka Smart has had the luxury of basically flying under the radar at VCU while playing schedule not comparable to a Big 12 schedule. Wright has played a Big East schedule for years and still thrived. Smart might be perfect and set the world on fire, but of those two I would choose Wright. Just one opinion.
I'll take Shaka over Jay if they can get the deal done. I want youth and hunger! The only thing that worries me is we shore up Shaka and he heads to Duke or UNC down the road when the opportunity presents itself.

I appreciate your opinion, but I don't agree with Jay being better than Shaka.

I would put Shaka ahead of jay wright but only slightly. Both guys can coach and would be very successful here.

I wouldn't worry about Shaka going to duke. I think they will stay in the family for cos h k's replacement.

What difference does it make if he is a Philly guy? Smart is from Wisconsin and mainly coached in upper midwest and the East Coast. I just don't know if he would be as prepared for the rigor at Texas as Jay Wright. Both would be probable slam dunks.

"Chip says we haven't contacted Marshall and don't really have interest in him."

Translation...he has already said no. Don't have any interest in Marshall? Please. Most schools do. He's a great coach.

Originally posted by Black_SoxAg:

Translation...he has already said no.
Sure. Thanks for your honesty and objectivity, aggy.

Why are you on this thread btw? I don't believe aggys were mentioned. Your obsession with everything burnt orange is noted yet again though. Too bad you get to lose to Rick Barnes some more now too.
laugh.r191677.gif

"Chip says we haven't contacted Marshall and don't really have interest in him."

Translation...he has already said no. Don't have any interest in Marshall? Please. Most schools do. He's a great coach.
Both are pretty much considered 1A and 1B of top young basketball coaches. I don't give a shit if one of them turned us down if we get the other, but I am sure UT possibly being turned down by Marshall is basically equivalent to an aggy national championship to you and your cult.
This post was edited on 3/31 12:15 PM by bubba2023

Go away Aggie.

You really do have to try to be this much of an a-hole.

I mean you don't have to google far to read MARSHALLS OWN WORDS THAT HE IS VERY INTERESTED IN TEXAS. You do have to go far to make up the BS you post. I mean fabricating championships is one thing, because people that fail to do their homework might believe you won the BigXII that year.

But what you are doing is flat out making sh!t up on a messageboard so that you feel better about your moral victory. Listen, you are an afterthought in most sports. And you don't belong in basketball conversations. The guy that we just fired, accomplished more in his worst 5 yr span at Texas than your program has in its entire existence.

I hope Shaka happens. It seems that is the case. But it isn't done til its done.

"The 37-year-old has been a top target for many programs with vacancies over the past few years, but he has turned down all suitors, including Maryland, Wake Forest, UCLA, NC State, Marquette and Illinois, among others. According to Rothstein, this job could be the one that persuades Smart to leave VCU. If the Longhorns are unable to land Smart, they reportedly will turn to Xavier's Chris Mack and Utah's Larry Krystowiak, who formerly coached the Milwaukee Bucks."

An Aggie running basketball smack? Their woman could beat the men.
laugh.r191677.gif

"Translation...he has already said no. Don't have any interest in Marshall? Please. Most schools do. He's a great coach."

Actually we haven't contacted him because there's a conflict of interest personality wise. It's widely known that Marshall is somewhat of an ego maniac, it's not insane to think he might not be a fit. That's why you have search firms to find the best fits.

But hey, good try dumbazz aggy.

This post was edited on 3/31 10:01 PM by utisdabomb12

"And you don't belong in basketball conversations."

laugh.r191677.gif
They probably don't belong in baseball or football conversations either.

Mike Finger:

Source says as of tonight, Texas has not reached out to Avery Johnson. He's expressed interest, but no meetings are scheduled.

ADVERTISEMENT