ADVERTISEMENT

Some old Texas/Saban excerpts from a book about Saban

jsto60

Sep 3, 2005
From excerpts obtained by al.com:

• Sexton reportedly told UT boosters that his client fancied himself as more of “a turnaround artist than a long-term CEO,” meaning Saban didn’t like to stay in one place for too long, even as Saban stated publicly amidst the rumors that he’s “just too damn old to start over.” That ultimately, at least thus far, proved to agent-speak on Sexton’s part as Saban is now entering his ninth season at ‘Bama, four years longer than his five-year stints at both LSU and Michigan State.
  • Sexton also reportedly told the same boosters that Texas was the only school that for which Saban would consider leaving Alabama. That matches up with an outstanding Associated Press report from November of 2013, which quoted a UT regent from documents obtained by the AP.
  • “But a number of factors kept Texas in play during a rough 2013 for Saban,”al.com wrote. “The exploding expectations of Alabama fans and boosters after three titles in four years were agitating Saban. There was also the spring death of AD Mal Moore who brought Saban to Alabama. Then in the fall, Saban’s coaching mentor Don James passed away. There was also the lawsuit involving Saban’s daughter Kristen and a former sorority sister she allegedly assaulted.”
  • Then-new UT athletic director Steve Patterson warned Sexton in November of 2013 that he’d better not be using his school to get a better deal from Saban’s current one, with the agent taking offense to the suggestion. One month later, a new contract between Saban and UA was announced that would ultimately pay the coach nearly $7 million annually on average.
  • Perhaps most importantly, at least to Tide Nation, Patterson confirmed to Burke that he never spoke to Saban during the months of speculation and that no contract was ever offered. It had been reported in another book, this one fromPaul Finebaum in July of last year, that “the Longhorns were prepared to give Saban somewhere between a $12 and $15 million signing bonus and a salary package worth $100 million (plus performances).” Additionally, Saban, per the book, never had any direct conversations with anyone connected to the university about taking over for Brown.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ils-nick-sabans-agents-flirtation-with-texas/

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

We are never going to know the truth, but the part about Patterson sounds about right.

Whatever I think of the guy, I do like his hires and think both Strong and Smart are the right men for the job. My biggest issue with Texas has always been discipline.

From Edwin Simmons naked in some guys back yard.
Texas guys getting in trouble gambling
All the criminals under Mack.

Seriously, Texas was always without discipline, I always wondered what heights Texas could reach if they had a coach that could instill true discipline. We have the coach that can bring Texas to the level I always thought they could reach.

In the end Texas got the man it needed.

Oh I am more than fine with Strong. I would have liked him to hire a better OC.

But I just read the blurb about a book release and it specifically bullet pointed the Saban/Texas stuff from a few years back.

I posted it because there were a lot of rumors. Here seem to be some facts that better put to bed what some on all sides were saying.

Bill Powers didn't want him and Patterson never offered him. His agent is good at getting his clients significant raises!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT